Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Nottingham Forest said:

Talking of Australia, I'm trying to get back out there next winter for a month. Well, I say a month but it'd be 3 weeks but I'd have the whole of December off.

Winder is not in december here, we are in Summer. Winter is during June-August. ALso isn't this thread about FM18 Careers?

11 hours ago, Nottingham Forest said:

Now considering I've seen 3 of those on other people's saves. I'd dare say you might be in for a fun time. Or not if you don't want the cash.

Ha! Hopefully the former. I was fully prepared to struggle my way up the leagues on a meagre transfer budget (think I've spent a grand total of 70k in all of my past Darlington seasons combined!) but I'm more than happy to be given a helping hand so to speak.

It has actually gone through now too. I've been given a million to spend initially but that's plenty for League 2. All the staff limits have been upped now and my scouting range has been increased to Europe. Should be plenty of cash to improve my training and youth facilities too. Good times!

Completely unexpected though. I've seen this happen with AI teams before but never one of my own.

6 hours ago, meadowsaaron02 said:

Winder is not in december here, we are in Summer. Winter is during June-August. ALso isn't this thread about FM18 Careers?

It makes sense for him to generally think of that time of year as winter, especially as it still will be from his point of view when he sets off and returns. He's not claiming that it would be winter in Australia in any way.

On your second point, no the thread isn't just for FM18 careers (nothing about the forum is FM18 specific). 

10 hours ago, deltablue said:

It makes sense for him to generally think of that time of year as winter, especially as it still will be from his point of view when he sets off and returns. He's not claiming that it would be winter in Australia in any way.

On your second point, no the thread isn't just for FM18 careers (nothing about the forum is FM18 specific). 

you mean despite the thread title? LOL And the forum section title? WOW!

9 minutes ago, Wavelberry said:

Like how much I am enjoying going back to Just Cause 3 at the moment.

BOOOM!

I like that the story is "Please go blow all the **** up, thanks, here's a wingsuit and a grappling hook for your trouble."

12 minutes ago, meadowsaaron02 said:

SO no 'Off Topic Discussion' in the thread title? but anyway.

No, as that wasn’t the original intent of this thread when it was created.

This thread was originally created to discuss forum related stuff, as this forum was newly created back then.

18 hours ago, deltablue said:

7 hours ago, meadowsaaron02 said:

you mean despite the thread title? LOL And the forum section title? WOW!

But nothing about the forum or thread titles are FM18 specific either... the forum is FM-specific, so it's about FM games. The thread is FM Careers Forum-specific, so is a discussion thread for the FM Careers Forum, though not necessarily about FM careers.

I have finally finished a season in FM18 :applause:and it's not with Marseille (after 4 failures), but with União de Leiria, in the 3rd portuguese league.

The roster was fairly decent, especially in some key areas: the team report said the group was hard-working and willing to put in a lot of efforts, a high level of teamwork, with leaders and strong characters. So kind of what you need to get promotion. Took a few loans and a free agent for back-up.
I was amazed during friendlies, especially when we started with a 4-4 against La Coruña (Liga). We were up 2-0, then 3-2, then 4-3, and conceeded 3 set pieces (I had forgotten to set them up) and as stupid own goal. Then we beat a club from second spanish division 4-1!

We finished 1st in the group, and then went to the final of the playoffs and won 3-0, to claim the trophy. We didn't always play well, but I think we had just more talent and great attitude. I'll have to be better in my tactic because we should have been more dominating (we were big favorites against basically everybody). We reach the objective in the cup, 4th round.

My striker, Leandro Souza, scored 30 in 34 games. In february I got a striker, Everton, in loan, and he did 10g and 5a in 15 games. I also bought, in january, the guy who was sort of the young promising guy in the division, Diego, who scored 4 goals and assisted 10 in 20 games (he actually assisted 8 in his first 5 games). In winter I also bought Duarte Valente, who is a bit known in FM18. Hopefully I will be able to land a few other promising players from Porto, Sporting and Benfica!

7 hours ago, Romano338 said:

I have finally finished a season in FM18 :applause:and it's not with Marseille (after 4 failures), but with União de Leiria, in the 3rd portuguese league.

The roster was fairly decent, especially in some key areas: the team report said the group was hard-working and willing to put in a lot of efforts, a high level of teamwork, with leaders and strong characters. So kind of what you need to get promotion. Took a few loans and a free agent for back-up.
I was amazed during friendlies, especially when we started with a 4-4 against La Coruña (Liga). We were up 2-0, then 3-2, then 4-3, and conceeded 3 set pieces (I had forgotten to set them up) and as stupid own goal. Then we beat a club from second spanish division 4-1!

We finished 1st in the group, and then went to the final of the playoffs and won 3-0, to claim the trophy. We didn't always play well, but I think we had just more talent and great attitude. I'll have to be better in my tactic because we should have been more dominating (we were big favorites against basically everybody). We reach the objective in the cup, 4th round.

My striker, Leandro Souza, scored 30 in 34 games. In february I got a striker, Everton, in loan, and he did 10g and 5a in 15 games. I also bought, in january, the guy who was sort of the young promising guy in the division, Diego, who scored 4 goals and assisted 10 in 20 games (he actually assisted 8 in his first 5 games). In winter I also bought Duarte Valente, who is a bit known in FM18. Hopefully I will be able to land a few other promising players from Porto, Sporting and Benfica!

I'm dead certain someone around here had a big save with Leiria a few years ago (when they were still a big club!!), but don't know for sure who. Vague idea it could've been @Deisler26

On 07/12/2017 at 02:07, noikeee said:

I'm dead certain someone around here had a big save with Leiria a few years ago (when they were still a big club!!), but don't know for sure who. Vague idea it could've been @Deisler26

Good memory, my friend! Yes, it was me

perfect10.jpg

Those were the days!

Just finished my first season in FM18, managing Rukh Vynnyky in the Ukrainian First Division. Managed to out perform our early expectations of a mid season finish and achieve promotion to the UPL.

Not sure if this was a good thing or not because our stadium isn't up to standards and the repayments on the loan taken to build a new one will cripple us!

There's also a viscous rumour going around that I'm going to be moving on to Hadjuk Split before the season starts...

Le 07/12/2017 à 03:07, noikeee a dit :

I'm not surprised, they were a good club ;) They dropped due to a relegation and then financial issues.

Second season is over, in the 2nd division. We were expected 10th and the objective was first half of the table. What's interesting is that the best teams in that division are Porto B, Sporting B and Benfica B, and none can get promoted. So there are big chances that if you're 5th you'll have promotion (although it's not automatic, if one of the reserves fails to achieve top 3).
I got a few players who looked good on paper, like Vinicius (striker, great stats to be a deadly finisher), Gudiño (keeper from Porto, a beast for this division) or Sandro Costa (CB who stays on a very good season in div 2).

Started well, we got that 6-7th place for quite some time. I wasn't sure how I would perform so I think I went in a bit defensive and prudent. We got 2 draws back-to-back at Porto and Lisboa against the 2 giants, which was very sweet! We got dominated like hell but got the results.
We started having issues after those 2 games. We weren't able to win anything anymore. From start of november to the end of the season, we won 6 out of the 24 games we played. Yet we dropped in the rankings only late, and finished 10th, as expected. Still a bit disappointed. Gudiño got quickly injured for months, and Sandro Costa missed basically 6 months. Vinicius couldn't score at all and we got a ton of injuries (137 on the season).

Now season 3, with ambitions: not saying I want promotion, but I changed my assistant and medical staff, got some nice players and I intend to play more my game instead of coming into games with the mentality of an inferior team.

Remembering now why I haven't played FM since 2013.

Got sacked from Rukh Vynnyky after getting battered in my first 5 games in the UPL then couldn't get a job down the local shop let alone with an actual football club so I started again, since then I've started a few different saves with clubs and just seem to get thrashed regardless of what tactics or instructions I use.

2 hours ago, dnlwrd said:

Remembering now why I haven't played FM since 2013.

Got sacked from Rukh Vynnyky after getting battered in my first 5 games in the UPL then couldn't get a job down the local shop let alone with an actual football club so I started again, since then I've started a few different saves with clubs and just seem to get thrashed regardless of what tactics or instructions I use.

Ouch, sorry to hear that mate. Hopefully you'll figure something out with the right club. Maybe working with a big club or domestic giant could help you out with making winning tactics?

2 hours ago, oriole01 said:

Ouch, sorry to hear that mate. Hopefully you'll figure something out with the right club. Maybe working with a big club or domestic giant could help you out with making winning tactics?

Yeah, maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and do that, tried my own tactics and tried about 6 from the forums so far, don't get me wrong I'm up for the challenge but it really feels like the results are the results regardless of what team you put out or tactics you use.

6 hours ago, dnlwrd said:

Yeah, maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and do that, tried my own tactics and tried about 6 from the forums so far, don't get me wrong I'm up for the challenge but it really feels like the results are the results regardless of what team you put out or tactics you use.

Two little things:

- I've noticed that team cohesion and the other related factors like tactical familiarity, happiness with the manager etc, are a really, really big thing this year, your team will play immensely better once you start clicking with them all. You've mentioned you've got sacked after 5 matches(?!). That's not any time at all to build it up.

- The tactics in recent versions of FM and even more now in FM18, seem to be incredibly sensitive to the match circumstances, ex. are you favourites or not, what tactics are your opponents using etc. After much trial and error (and getting sacked too) I've finally clicked with 2 tactics that are really working for me, yet even at this stage I routinely switch from one to the other, depending on how the game is going, because no tactic, not even the best ones you can download, is perfect for every match.

Basically a little more patience could help, it sounds like you're trying a lot of different things at once, quickly changing when it doesn't immediately work, and not taking the time to figure out why it isn't. I understand it can be very frustrating (I've been there too) but maybe slow down a bit.

26 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Two little things:

- I've noticed that team cohesion and the other related factors like tactical familiarity, happiness with the manager etc, are a really, really big thing this year, your team will play immensely better once you start clicking with them all. You've mentioned you've got sacked after 5 matches(?!). That's not any time at all to build it up.

- The tactics in recent versions of FM and even more now in FM18, seem to be incredibly sensitive to the match circumstances, ex. are you favourites or not, what tactics are your opponents using etc. After much trial and error (and getting sacked too) I've finally clicked with 2 tactics that are really working for me, yet even at this stage I routinely switch from one to the other, depending on how the game is going, because no tactic, not even the best ones you can download, is perfect for every match.

Basically a little more patience could help, it sounds like you're trying a lot of different things at once, quickly changing when it doesn't immediately work, and not taking the time to figure out why it isn't. I understand it can be very frustrating (I've been there too) but maybe slow down a bit.

That's great advice cheers, with the 5 games thing it was 5 games into season 2, I'd gotten promoted the first season but the difference in quality between the Ukrainian First Division and the Premier Division is pretty big!

I've also loaded the same preseason save with teams and ran a different tactic for a few weeks and into the first 3 or 4 games of the season with no real difference to results. That's where my frustration is coming from.

Just a quick one if you don't mind answering, are you switching to a flat out defensive tactic as one of your two? The only thing I haven't done is tried a more negative, park the bus, style.

5 minutes ago, dnlwrd said:

Just a quick one if you don't mind answering, are you switching to a flat out defensive tactic as one of your two? The only thing I haven't done is tried a more negative, park the bus, style.

Not really no, I'm defending the same way every match, but switching my method to attack the opposition depending on what I see happening on the pitch. These are my systems if you're interested.

By the way another huge breakthrough was sorting out my set pieces. The default set pieces are an absolute piece of **** in FM18, yet they're a sizeable chunk of what goes in the net in this match engine, so it makes a big difference. There's lots of extra goals to grab and  goals to prevent once you've sorted that out.

50 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Not really no, I'm defending the same way every match, but switching my method to attack the opposition depending on what I see happening on the pitch. These are my systems if you're interested.

By the way another huge breakthrough was sorting out my set pieces. The default set pieces are an absolute piece of **** in FM18, yet they're a sizeable chunk of what goes in the net in this match engine, so it makes a big difference. There's lots of extra goals to grab and  goals to prevent once you've sorted that out.

That's great, cheers dude.

Hello everyone,

Started my save with Estonian club now, with a club called FC Flora.

P1U8mHH.jpg

Also, I have finished my first year in this league. 

8B5Lb7i.jpg

rvPdhwC.jpg

xhyCl65.jpg

The estonian league is pretty strict by rules:

KhxglBO.jpg

It was pure luck, how we managed to get european league in first year. For now after a season, it seems weird that all the clubs in Preemium Liiga sign so many foreign players, but they only could regristrate 5 of them.

3 hours ago, -Ironhide- said:

What FMCU threads do you guys like to read? As in what interests you?

Threads where you can tell that the author is enjoying the save.  Could be a struggle with youth-only in San Marino, to someone annihilating all-comers with a traditional powerhouse.  So long as the author is enjoying the save, that will come through in the writing/recaps.

4 hours ago, -Ironhide- said:

I tend to go for ambitious projects, with originality in either the clubs, playing styles, or the thread updates. If I were to talk specifics, I always go for threads with a narrative storyline (I would do FM Stories if you could use pictures), specific challenges like @ManUtd1's thread, and saves with clubs with a rich history who aren't necessarily in the best of situations currently. If someone is creative and enjoys the save, I'll probably follow their thread.

12 hours ago, -Ironhide- said:

I generally like ones that have a narrative. Some threads that I follow don't. In their cases, it's just that the premise of their save is interesting e.g. @Jupjamie at San Marino, the Bradford save that @BoxToBox had going etc.

50 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

I'm not a reader, but if I was I would avoid ones where you know the guy is going to be in the top league in a few seasons and just win everything.

This.  I don't think it was on here, but there was a thread that chronicled a story almost exclusively made up of failure.  He started out trying to win the pentagon but dropped that before the first one, and ended up fighting petty battles across the save and achieving minor things.  It was easily and by some distance the best FM career I've read, purely down to him being a very engaging writer.  It's no fun just to read a wall of text that shows just how amazing a team has been this season, and how they've won their 418th Champions League in a row.  If all you're doing is going through the motions with a side with only a new stadium in a few years to look forward to before moving on, then you've got to be an incredibly good writer to make that interesting.

3 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

I generally like ones that have a narrative. Some threads that I follow don't. In their cases, it's just that the premise of their save is interesting e.g. @Jupjamie at San Marino, the Bradford save that @BoxToBox had going etc.

And this.  Similar to the above, but ones that aren't just straight recaps of what happened during a season.  Subplots, narrative, something running behind the story on long-term saves.

Buuuut...

12 hours ago, -Ironhide- said:

It sounds like you're trying to ask to see what people would want to read so you can just do that.  That's the wrong way to go about it.  It's not the first time it's been asked, and certainly won't be the last, but the most important thing is to find a thread  where you enjoy what you're writing.  If you're trying to do what other people want then you'll probably get bored of it pretty quickly, as it isn't really your creation.  Write something that you enjoy and are happy with, and the readers will come.  I turned a bog-standard International career only meant for the beta into Career Thread of the Year on FM16, and that was purely down to enjoying the type of save I was doing, and wanting to write about the world it was being played in.  I then tried to do something different I wasn't really into, and it fell down pretty quickly.

39 minutes ago, forameuss said:

This.  I don't think it was on here, but there was a thread that chronicled a story almost exclusively made up of failure.  He started out trying to win the pentagon but dropped that before the first one, and ended up fighting petty battles across the save and achieving minor things.  It was easily and by some distance the best FM career I've read, purely down to him being a very engaging writer.  It's no fun just to read a wall of text that shows just how amazing a team has been this season, and how they've won their 418th Champions League in a row.  If all you're doing is going through the motions with a side with only a new stadium in a few years to look forward to before moving on, then you've got to be an incredibly good writer to make that interesting.

And this.  Similar to the above, but ones that aren't just straight recaps of what happened during a season.  Subplots, narrative, something running behind the story on long-term saves.

Buuuut...

It sounds like you're trying to ask to see what people would want to read so you can just do that.  That's the wrong way to go about it.  It's not the first time it's been asked, and certainly won't be the last, but the most important thing is to find a thread  where you enjoy what you're writing.  If you're trying to do what other people want then you'll probably get bored of it pretty quickly, as it isn't really your creation.  Write something that you enjoy and are happy with, and the readers will come.  I turned a bog-standard International career only meant for the beta into Career Thread of the Year on FM16, and that was purely down to enjoying the type of save I was doing, and wanting to write about the world it was being played in.  I then tried to do something different I wasn't really into, and it fell down pretty quickly.

Okay... this all seems fair and I totally understand. It's just intriguing how the quality of writing is oh so high on this forum and so I wanted to see if there was a specific gimmick or whatever. I may not seem it but I actually can write... but this whole premise is interesting.

12 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Threads where you can tell that the author is enjoying the save.  Could be a struggle with youth-only in San Marino, to someone annihilating all-comers with a traditional powerhouse.  So long as the author is enjoying the save, that will come through in the writing/recaps.

Yeah, this. Best threads are the ones that sound like the guy playing is having fun, relate to you in a way, and give you an irresistible need to go load up FM now, even if you're at work in the middle of an important meeting with the prime minister and are getting married tomorrow.

googles "are divorces expensive" followed by "is it an addiction if you wake up in the middle of the night to go play a game"

By the way I also agree that winning everything isn't necessarily the most interesting thing to read. However I personally never have fun if I'm losing everything neither and/or am aimlessly stuck at the same level for ages, which has happened. :D My most fun threads have always been those where I feel I'm moving forwards but there's a challenge and a lingering danger things can go wrong. And you can really tell when reading a thread if they're enjoying it or not.

Loving the youth only save I am on.  It is the only way I have been able to get into FM18 as I can disregard the scouting system, which is a complete mess.

I have never played a youth only save before but I see many more on the horizon.  I want to give 1860 Munich a bash in Germany as they are not playable in;ess you holiday for a year as well as Kettering Town.  The latter as England would be rock hard I think.

Archived