Football Manager 2018 *Official* Feedback Thread

It's a returning  annoyance: Stadiums in 3d.

I've seen sides with no stands in lower league in FM18, which is a big plus compared to FM17. But I've just started out in 7th tier Northern Ireland (how low can you go) and my 500-capacity ground has 4 covered stands. And not four 125-capacity stands.

Doesn't the 'stadium generator' use capacity to determine how it looks? I can't find anything in editor to adjust this.

I'm quitting this NI job as I can't stand these four large stands, which is disappointing to say the least.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we stop the game asking if you want to keep your tactical changes, please? I mean, I get it when it's the 70th or 80th minute and a goal is scored, but when I change tactics in the 20th minute, it's about making sure my team plays well, not whether or not a goal was scored. Or at least give us the option to turn that thing off. It's doing more harm than good for me.I assume everyone else is not having trouble getting the Editor to work? Can someone help me with this, please?

On 23/11/2017 at 16:08, treble_yell_:-) said:

Reduces incidences of cross/shots highlights

Does this mean they will happen less or they just won't pop up as highlight ( but we'll cam see them in full match / analysis) ?

Or have they been tweaked so some are rebranded as a hopeful ball that nearly came off?

1 hour ago, Swindon69 said:

Or have they been tweaked so some are rebranded as a hopeful ball that nearly came off?

Or we can simply be honest and say that since the last update I'm seeing - maybe - one of these per match?

I'll say it: the ME is 100% better since the last hotfix.

Add the opportunity to both teams in the time to differ .. One scored 99% that the second will not score. 20 games full, drove, niraz both did not differ. What kind of nonsense? Rave.

Well, veil somehow. Let it be not 0-0, but 1-1. Not 1-0 or 2-0, but 2-1 and 3-1. I also ask for a strong-willed victory to add from 0-1 to 2-1. The new manager does not have them.

full matches I look 100% do not score the second team
Detailed review 95%. Output the figure at least close to real statistics. 60 (one team)/40 (2 team). This is very important for the feeling of the match

http://www.eurosport.ru/football/russian-football-premier-league/calendar-result.shtml     Russian Premier Leage. 16 match day.  60%+ 2 teams scores in one half

Edited by nikkk

• SI Staff
15 hours ago, samboro said:

Is this schedule right for the Carabao Cup? 

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 16.46.07.png

This is part of the fix for the Carabao Cup issue, that was included in the 18.1.3 Hotfix.

Your save game was experiencing the issue of the Second Round draw for the Carabao Cup not taking place. The fix has enabled the draw to take place, albeit a few months late, which allows the competition to 'catchup' and be fully scheduled. The competition will then go back to normal in future seasons.

2 hours ago, byvirus said:

thats what i want to tell you, you are dominating the whole match and losing..

3 hours ago, dewhirst said:

IMG_3008.JPG

Might be relevant to question how "big" that domination really was. In particular considering that 100% of the Celtic attempts where within the box, and Barcelona had but one "Big chance" (never ever to be confused with any FM statistics), but a handful of attempts right in front of the goal plus.  The above stats also don't acknowledge for the bad defending prior to the 2-1, where a simple goal kick and guys losing their man set Tony Watt free en goal (not an ideal angle still Big Chance). Nor do they acknoweldge for Celtic taking the lead, which allowed them to sit deep throughout (relevant also to FM, as AI managers also reac to to scorlines tactically). Reference: Whoscored, Chalkboard. https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/667820/Live/Europe-UEFA-Champions-League-2012-2013-Celtic-Barcelona

That's why you can't trust FM's stats, and why shot volumes in itself are comparably meaningless (though Barcelona may have still well won it, true, plus the run of play naturally allowed Celtic to keep things tight on their end until the very end -- had Barcelona taken the lead and Celtic were forced to open up, who knows). Additionally, Barcelona were still actually managed by a professional manager who (supposedly) knows what he's doing for his game still and for which a "statistical" domination isn't the aim, but a consequence of his doings (trying to actually shift opposition defenses around for better shots by encouraging a probing passing game rather than merely holding the ball -- that kinda stuff). :p Naturally, FM's goals may also involve bugs, which then would be worth uploading and reporting, but won't reveal themselves by stats either.

Traditionally in-game, very few, if any of such matches (14 shots on target, 1 goal at best) come about if the "statistically dominating" side has the majority of its attempts from open play, such as Barcelona here (90%+ (!!) of all shots->Whoscored Match Report). Actually, in most of those cases, the respective on target attempts are mostly headers under big pressure from set piece and the like, not that regularly converted, as argued, and mostly reasonably easy to save for the keeper. There are traditionally also typically tactial reasons for this many set piece attempts, from both sides competing. One of which is naturally an ultra defensive AI with a billion defend dutys in the team trying to keep things tight (whichfew human players do, who are more the opposite Kevin Keegan type, attack attack). The other typically is an attacking side (can be AI too), playing into that teams hand by compressing the attacking space even further... for instance by pushing every midfielder forward. Which may be something for SI to monitor. Some of the defensive AI I never found particularly realistic -- outside of terrible mismatches in international football a la Gibraltar - England, where do you see sides keeping half their players glued behind the ball for 90 minutes, including both wide backs? Plus AI right at the very top does such nonsense too on the attacking end, shoving all players boxside, encouraging point drops from AI managed top teams right until very recent -> the classic case of a competitive keeper made to look good, either way.

Edited by Svenc

1 hour ago, nikkk said:

Add the opportunity to both teams in the time to differ .. One scored 99% that the second will not score. 20 games full, drove, niraz both did not differ. What kind of nonsense? Rave.

Well, veil somehow. Let it be not 0-0, but 1-1. Not 1-0 or 2-0, but 2-1 and 3-1. I also ask for a strong-willed victory to add from 0-1 to 2-1. The new manager does not have them.

full matches I look 100% do not score the second team
Detailed review 95%. Output the figure at least close to real statistics. 60 (one team)/40 (2 team). This is very important for the feeling of the match

http://www.eurosport.ru/football/russian-football-premier-league/calendar-result.shtml     Russian Premier Leage. 16 match day.  60%+ 2 teams scores in one half

Hæ? ¿Qué? Что?

If you're failing to score, it's not the game that is bugged, but most likely your tactics.

16 minutes ago, DP said:

So the over the top cross/shots have been removed from the highlights but not fixed in the actual engine? Problem being swept under the carpet?

Obviously not, DP. You should know this by now. These are just hotfixes, so a solution for now, while the ME is being worked on.

49 minutes ago, byvirus said:

2 shots 1 on target 2 goals lol really ? 

im now sure that its absolutely not normal.......

The match engine is the same for you as it is for the AI. 

Instead of posting every result you get on here, maybe try and work out why more of your own shots are off target, or why your shots on target to goals ratio is also poor. Because if the AI can be efficient in front of goal, so can you. 

1 minute ago, rdbayly said:

@Hunter - Quick question, do you know if the SI team monitor and respond to posts about crashes over the weekend? If not I'll won't need to check my latest post until Monday.

They sometimes do, so it's worth keeping an eye on it.

52 minutes ago, byvirus said:

2 shots 1 on target 2 goals lol really ? 

im now sure that its absolutely not normal.......

g9Gypb.jpg

I'm guessing this is because their second was an own goal from a shot originally not on target?

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

They sometimes do, so it's worth keeping an eye on it.

Cheers. I've never had a problem with crashes on previous releases, but have had over a dozen this week. Very disappointing from a franchise I'm fiercely loyal to. 

2 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Cheers. I've never had a problem with crashes on previous releases, but have had over a dozen this week. Very disappointing from a franchise I'm fiercely loyal to. 

It sounds like a problem with your system/graphic card or whatever. If it would be a general problem, everyone would have crashes. Did you add any custom graphics to the game?

1 minute ago, KUBI said:

It sounds like a problem with your system/graphic card or whatever. If it would be a general problem, everyone would have crashes. Did you add any custom graphics to the game?

Yes, this is a common response to many of the crash posts in the bugs forum. I'm not using any custom graphics, skins, databases or mods. I've also updated my graphics card with the latest drivers ( which is brand new Radeon 4GB)

There are hundreds and hundreds of crash report threads so I don't believe I'm on my own here. I'd also add that the dozen or so games in my Steam library place significantly greater demands on my system than FM; none of which have crashed even once this year, despite being played for hundreds of hours.

Yes, this is a common response to many of the crash posts in the bugs forum. I'm not using any custom graphics, skins, databases or mods. I've also updated my graphics card with the latest drivers ( which is brand new Radeon 4GB)

There are hundreds and hundreds of crash report threads so I don't believe I'm on my own here. I'd also add that the dozen or so games in my Steam library place significantly greater demands on my system than FM; none of which have crashed even once this year, despite being played for hundreds of hours.

If you read some of the dozens (not hundreds) of crash reports you will see a lot are already fixed with the latest hot fixes and a lot of the others have very unique reasons. It could also depends on how many leagues you are running and which database size you did chose, especially if it starts to crash after a while. 

9 minutes ago, KUBI said:

If you read some of the dozens (not hundreds) of crash reports you will see a lot are already fixed with the latest hot fixes and a lot of the others have very unique reasons. It could also depends on how many leagues you are running and which database size you did chose, especially if it starts to crash after a while. 

There are close to 10000 posts over 16 pages in the Crashes and Technical Issues forum. Granted not all of these are crash dump reports, but let's be realistic, it's more than dozens. 

I think the issue here is tonal - The default response is 'it's your system' - Yet a hotfix comes out addressing crashes? Slightly confusing for us non-programming mortals.

I think the issue here is tonal - The default response is 'it's your system' - Yet a hotfix comes out addressing crashes? Slightly confusing for us non-programming mortals.

Because some crashes do just happens on specific system configurations and combinations. There are that many differences in OS, 32/64 bit, graphic cards, drivers etc.

3 minutes ago, KUBI said:

Because some crashes do just happens on specific system configurations and combinations. There are that many differences in OS, 32/64 bit, graphic cards, drivers etc.

Yep. I've not seem a single crash on my system since beta. Why me and not others. SI can increase stability, but doesn't mean it can't crash due to other factors user side to. Which it tends to be the majority of the time 

7 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Yep. I've not seem a single crash on my system since beta. Why me and not others. SI can increase stability, but doesn't mean it can't crash due to other factors user side to. Which it tends to be the majority of the time 

Could you recommend any tests I could perform to identify if I have any hardware issues such as a defective graphics card or RAM?

22 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Could you recommend any tests I could perform to identify if I have any hardware issues such as a defective graphics card or RAM?

Argh, lost my reply to this. Are you running Windows? I'm not at my computer till tomorrow evening to give more specifics, but you should he able to run diagnostics off windows on your hardware. If you can wait till tomorrow evening I can be more specific. Otherwise definitely open a thread in the tech section on how to diagnose hardware issues. The other check is making sure software is upto date. 

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Argh, lost my reply to this. Are you running Windows? I'm not at my computer till tomorrow evening to give more specifics, but you should he able to run diagnostics off windows on your hardware. If you can wait till tomorrow evening I can be more specific. Otherwise definitely open a thread in the tech section on how to diagnose hardware issues. The other check is making sure software is upto date. 

Yeah am running Windows 10. I have recently removed some defective RAM, so will run memtest on the remaining module cheers.

Yeah, I still haven't got a clue on how to play this game. I am outsmarted, outgunned and outplayed by every team I meet, including newly promoted teams, teams two tiers below me, and teams that clearly have worse players than me on the paper. All my players ignore or hate me or rage because whatever. My board is angry at me. I miss the good old Championship Manager days.

2 minutes ago, Viking said:

Yeah, I still haven't got a clue on how to play this game. I am outsmarted, outgunned and outplayed by every team I meet, including newly promoted teams, teams two tiers below me, and teams that clearly have worse players than me on the paper. All my players ignore or hate me or rage because whatever. My board is angry at me. I miss the good old Championship Manager days.

You may need some tactical advises from the tactics forum?

Just now, KUBI said:

You may need some tactical advises from the tactics forum?

I've tried to read the tutorial threads in there, but I'm too dumb and not good enough at english. I don't even get the basics. I would need a "The complete guide on football tactics for 3-year olds". In my native tongue.

My beginner advise is check your players and which roles they can play naturally. Chose a basic tactic on the quality of your players. If you have just one strong striker, chose a one striker tactic, if you have strong defenders, chose a 4-4-2 or a tactic with 5 defenders. The same with team shape. If you have skilled players chose a more attacking and fluid style of play, otherwise defensiv or counter with structured could be the choice. Start just with the basic tactics and chose the players who fit in the best.

5 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Two separate issues. 

If it was being swept under the carpet, you wouldn't put it in the update notes now, would you. 

Well they’ve said they’ve taken it out of the key highlights. That means it still exists in the engine. It’s the same issue, just hidden by not being as visible to people :/

Edited by DP

Something is off with away games. Nothing changes play-wise, we have the same kind of domination as home games but we constantly lose points and the goals the opposition score are very often insane ones. Long shots that go in once in a lifetime, ball bouncing like crazy, incorrect penalties, shots that goes straight between the arms of the GK and many more. It's like the "luck"-variable goes upp from 15% to 95% for the opposition during away games.

Likewise for me, I almost never drop points at home. No matter the opposition, home just feels too strong.

1 hour ago, Karnack said:

Something is off with away games. Nothing changes play-wise, we have the same kind of domination as home games but we constantly lose points and the goals the opposition score are very often insane ones. Long shots that go in once in a lifetime, ball bouncing like crazy, incorrect penalties, shots that goes straight between the arms of the GK and many more. It's like the "luck"-variable goes upp from 15% to 95% for the opposition during away games.

Likewise for me, I almost never drop points at home. No matter the opposition, home just feels too strong.

The ME has potential but look still too flawed and unbalanced; awful lots of goals from setpieces, whatever your routine or the training focus, lot of goals by long passes behind the defence, I'm well over 100 games watched now and it's getting boring, if they're not able to finetune it, I think I'm going to quit

4 hours ago, KUBI said:

My beginner advise is check your players and which roles they can play naturally. Chose a basic tactic on the quality of your players. If you have just one strong striker, chose a one striker tactic, if you have strong defenders, chose a 4-4-2 or a tactic with 5 defenders. The same with team shape. If you have skilled players chose a more attacking and fluid style of play, otherwise defensiv or counter with structured could be the choice. Start just with the basic tactics and chose the players who fit in the best.

My advice would have actually been letting the assistant taking over, preferably on Touch, but I'm not sure now as the Bayern assistant goes narrow formation both backs on defend and similar stuff... on occasion from kick-off in a domestic league match. May be just a one off though. :) As traditionally they are pretty underrated though and I'd love to see them expanded into bonafide "tactical assistants" to hire personally. They certainly usually wouldn't struggle like that. On FM 16 the Barcelona assistant even smashed the league consistently with 150+ league goals (all-time records).

Shot counts meanwile remain for Fifa noobs, naturally (too bad that SI don't try to model something similar which should be technically doable as every shot ought to be individually calculated somehow -- no less as it would make judging shots in the ME a less subjective affair.] Naturally, that has some pitfalls, namely that players would expect that (expected) scoreline to transpire every time // the shots marked big boys be converted every time, which is naturally nonsensical. On the odd day, all kinds of stuff goes flying on this too (3 direct free kicks) whilst vice versa on another day a good number of decent chances, as modeled by the game anyhow, may be bottled. As tends to happen in footie too.
DPgJ_nzW4AEEwNz.jpg

Edited by Svenc

I'm really shocked that most people seems to be complaining about that one button should be in another place, like the guy wanting the rewind button visible, I've never ever used rewind and never will.

Sure the match view is not very good, because the game generate it from trying to convert statistics into random events on the pitch, so the game needs X number of corners and unfortunately the animation shown is really stupid, keepers that save the ball and hold it and walk off the pitch in the process, but still ignoring looking at it and just hitting space bar a  billion times, the game does seem to somewhat progress a simulation of football.

The game has real issues and not just aesthetics arguments. Sure most may not involve crashing to desktop, but it has some of those too, like the steam workshop popup not having a cancel button, so if the game get stuck, you have to terminate it and loss your progress if you don't remember to manually save just before doing anything steam workshop related. Go look at the bugs forum for a waste list of completely broken features.

11 hours ago, Maaka said:

Hæ? ¿Qué? Что?

If you're failing to score, it's not the game that is bugged, but most likely your tactics.

This is a crap response, it seldom the tactics, because tactics is POINTLESS in this game, I've created totally bogus tactics, with all my player on the oppositions part of the pitch (except goal keeper) and I can still win as long as I get my TEAM TALKS right.

This game is ALL about team talks and nothing else, they mostly control if your team win or loss and how hard the opposition fight back, even Barcelona can turn into a relegation candidate if you get team talks wrong.

Your attack not scoring? Most likely the players lack motivation, is over motivated and nervous.

Your defenders can't defend? They are most likely not motivated enough or too nervous and make tons of fouls, or over motivated and making fouls.

Sure there is a few small cases where tactics play a role, like going high pitch and the opposition strikers being faster than your defenders.

Edited by Miravlix

4 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

This game is ALL about team talks and nothing else, they mostly control if your team win or loss and how hard the opposition fight back, even Barcelona can turn into a relegation candidate if you get team talks wrong.

Team talks are amonst the least influential parts of the game by a country mile (not that they are but cosmetical, mind). Bogus tactics oft spring bogus results though, no least as the AI has no means coded to counter them. E.g. guy just pushes all players upfront, so I'll leave two forwards who wouldn't track back in defending as counter outlets, sit deep and hit him plenty on the break. Not sure if  it should, but long-term AI being able to recognize which zone of the pitch are wastelands to exploit is of definitely benefit. Arguably SI have already put the fundamentals for that in place in the zones marked "red" in the tactics screen / opposition reports. Not sure if actually used by AI much.

Edited by Svenc