Match 1 - Group A - Brazil VS Croatia 21:00 BST including the opening ceremony

Baptista_8

Awful penalty decision. The ref saw that Brazil have almost no chance of scoring, so he had to do his magic. I blame Pletikosa for first and third goal though, especially for the third one. Croatia to win their remaining two games easily if they play like this, especially when Mario returns instead of Jelavić.

Can't remember a match when striker from both side were this terrible. :D Fred and Jelavić.

You may say that the referee helped Brazil, but say that Brazil have almost no chance of scoring is a joke.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather the host nation stays in the competition for a long time despite the decisions tonight. Adds to the atmosphere when you have hosts getting further

with Marcelo and Alves in that defence, I can see the first decent team targetting both of them and putting Brazil out though. Marcelo was horrible tonight and a better team would have punished him. Alves showed why Barcelona are getting rid of him as well. I thought Neymar and Oscar played well though, almost sounding like a pop concert when Neymar got the ball as the fans obviously know he's their big hope :D

Ref was a shambles. Neymar was a yellow IMO but the other calls were awful, especially the pen

Was actually fairly sly from Neymar but a definite red imo. Waits til he comes close enough then looks at the ball to put the ref off whilst chucking an elbow to the face.

What specifically?

It was pretty much what I expected from them.

Commentators were dreadful, took about 20 seconds until they referenced 66.

All the studio wanted to talk about was England. Personally I think they feel they need to constantly talk about England to keep the viewers interested but I don't think thats the case at all. There was very little talk/analyse of the game this evening when it was full of talking points. I hope the BBC do a better job.

I'd rather the host nation stays in the competition for a long time despite the decisions tonight. Adds to the atmosphere when you have hosts getting further

with Marcelo and Alves in that defence, I can see the first decent team targetting both of them and putting Brazil out though. Marcelo was horrible tonight and a better team would have punished him. Alves showed why Barcelona are getting rid of him as well. I thought Neymar and Oscar played well though, almost sounding like a pop concert when Neymar got the ball as the fans obviously know he's their big hope :D

I think for the competition it will be better if Brazil is eliminated early, so the tournament will be played at neutral ground, without referees helping Brazil, etc..

Hulk the worst player on the pitch by some margin.

And whilst the ref made a few poor decisions in favour of the home side (like that doesn't happen in every league around the world) he certainly did not "spoil the game" as some are suggesting. Thought it was a great game and I really enjoyed it.

I'd like Brazil to win just to see PLMF's reaction.

You'll not see, just read it. :D

And whilst the ref made a few poor decisions in favour of the home side (like that doesn't happen in every league around the world) he certainly did not "spoil the game" as some are suggesting. Thought it was a great game.

No doubt Hulk will score a nice goal against Mexico and 'buy' his place in the first team for a few more games...

If I were Felipão, I would have Willian there.

And whilst the ref made a few poor decisions in favour of the home side (like that doesn't happen in every league around the world) he certainly did not "spoil the game" as some are suggesting. Thought it was a great game and I really enjoyed it.

How did he not ruin the game? Two of the Brazil's goals shouldn't have stood. Penalty was a terrible call, and the foul on Rakitic before that lead to the third goal. A debatable disallowed goal for Croatia and a possible red could have been handed out to Neymar. Basically two clear cut mistakes and two 50-50 calls that would directly turn the match in Croatia's favour. All in favour of Brazil, not to mention other little calls.

I hate conspiracy theories, but it really feels like Brazil had to win this game.

How did he not ruin the game? Two of the Brazil's goals shouldn't have stood. Penalty was a terrible call, and the foul on Rakitic before that lead to the third goal. A debatable disallowed goal for Croatia and a possible red could have been handed out to Neymar. Basically two clear cut mistakes and two 50-50 calls that would directly turn the match in Croatia's favour. All in favour of Brazil, not to mention other little calls.

Many here in Brazil felt/feel the same way.

I hate conspiracy theories, but it really feels like Brazil had to win this game.

I don't think the referee robbed on purpose, more likely couldn't handle all the pressure and non intentionally chose the easy way (favoring Brazil).

I don't think the referee robbed on purpose, more likely couldn't handle all the pressure and non intentionally chose the easy way (favoring Brazil).

I would love to believe that. But it's hard. There's too much money in this game :( And it just puts a bad light when a match like this happens. I'm hoping it's a one time mistake, and Brazil won't get these dodgy calls anymore. But something really needs to be done regarding officiating in football. I swear to god, but Croatian league has better refereeing than this.

I would love to believe that. But it's hard. There's too much money in this game :( And it just puts a bad light when a match like this happens. I'm hoping it's a one time mistake, and Brazil won't get these dodgy calls anymore. But something really needs to be done regarding officiating in football. I swear to god, but Croatian league has better refereeing than this.

I am 100% sure referees will keep helping Brazil, they almost always have even before this World Cup, now with Brazil playing at home they won't be able to avoid it.

I feel for the referees to be honest.

The game has developed so much in a number of ways and they need more help. More technology, more officials, more things to bring the balance back.

I feel for the referees to be honest.

The game has developed so much in a number of ways and they need more help. More technology, more officials, more things to bring the balance back.

Nonsense! After the game I was listening to an Icelandic ex-pro who said more technology (and current goal line tech) is rubbish because it removes the beauty of the game. The goal in 66 cancelled out with Lampards goal in 2010 :thup: I'm sure that'll have made those players from 66 feel so much better about not winning the WC ffs :D

Is that not just one of those accounts that tweets every possible prediction, then deletes as necessary?

Probably, but it's funny how it took so quickly for people to start making up those things.

Croatia lacked a bit of determination going forward. It bit them in the end, because the match was pretty even. Only Perisic really tried but the midfield took too long to send the ball forward when Brazil were making a lot of pressing mistakes in the first half.

Never going to happen until England are on the plane home, even then you have to get lucky.

Simply terrible from ITV yet again, so many talking points but they actually spend more time talking about England than the actual game that we just watched.

Bbc do exactly the same

Was Manduzkic injured last night as I swear I didn't see him at all? Was watching the game in a bar with music so they didn't have the volume on the TV so couldn't hear Clive etc :)

Still can't believe the referee gave a penalty for a slip, better not the benchmark for refereeing otherwise there's going to be a lot of pissed off nations.

My two cents:

I think we will see a whole different Brazil in the next games on the road to the title (which will be theirs in my opinion).

This was the first game for them in front of an expecting home crowd and you could almost feel the nervousness of the players. The pressure must be insane for them.

Dani Alves played so badly I´ve never seen him play before! I dont want to imagine how Marcelo must have felt the moment he realized he scored an own goal...

Pretty sure this victory gives them a massive confidence boost and then its all the way to the 6th world cup for Brazil.

And yes, of course it was a dive but in the end its 3-1.

I´m sure PMLF wont agree, right? :D But thats what I think.

I just watched the highlights.

Neymar should have seen red for his elbow on Perišić. He knew exactly what he wanted to do, looking around, swinging his elbow. But I can understand if Nishimura didn't see the intention and regarded it just as a block that was worthy of yellow.

Lovren definitely held Fred's left arm for a moment. You can't see that with the camera angle from the right, but you can from the left. It wasn't enough to bring a striker out of balance, but Fred did benefit from a slight contact. This is international football, just like Champions and Europa Leagues. As a defender, you need more experience because while your physical game may not be unpunished in your own country, it can be fatal on the international stage. (See, e.g., Chiellini with Cristiano Ronaldo in the last Champions League.) From Nishimura's angle, Lovren committed a foul. Penalty.

Olić arrived with his arm and elbow swinging first to Júlio César's neck. Definite foul. Disallowed goal.

I don't get any highlight for the build-up to Oscar's goal. But my first impression is that it was a clean tackle.

Honestly I think the only thing the ref got really wrong was the penalty decision. Fair enough it's a big decision to get wrong but people going on as if it's the single worst refereeing performance of all time need to have a word :D

The ref was awful, I hope this tournament isn't remembered for dodgy home advantage reffing like we had with South Korea in 2002.

The Croatia keeper was doing his best David Marshall impression as well, dreadful. Should have saved all 3 goals. Brazil don't look impressive at all, really got off the hook thanks to terrible reffing and goalkeeping.

I think for the competition it will be better if Brazil is eliminated early, so the tournament will be played at neutral ground, without referees helping Brazil, etc..

with the amount of tension in the country, I can't see Brazil being eliminated before the Semi Finals

Tim Vickery, BBC's South American football correspondent said it would be a disaster which would pull more fuel on to the fire if Brazil were put out early

Despite the wrong penalty decision, the first, but nor will be the last wrong decision in this WC, the four goals were scored by Brazil. So, how Croatia deserved to win? :D

You should first watch the game before posting things like that in this thread

Just wondering (was some discussion about it on Belgian TV yesterday) just how far you can run in a run up for a penalty? All I know is the run has to be un-interrupted, but could you sort of speak run to the corner flag and come back to take your shot?

You should first watch the game before posting things like that in this thread

The game I saw Croatia sat upon the Marcelo's own goal. Brazil suffered no danger after that.

I wouldn't say nothing if people think that Croatia deserved a draw, but if you think Croatia deserved to win, man you are completely crazy. Brazil equalized before the penalty, and after all, had better changes than Croatia.

Not surprised by Brazil winning but was disappointed in which way it happened. I don't know what Hulk is doing in first 11, has he shown anything after his Porto days?

Neymar is entertaining to watch with the ball. Overall I'm not that impressed with Brazil lately and I think that individual moments of brilliance will ship them through the tournament. Maybe better for them to have avoided qualifications. Bernard is interesting player and I haven't seen him playing before, or at least can't recall it. Ramires and Hernanes would be much better central pairing IMHO.

I've decided not to get nervous about Croatia during this tournament since I expect them to flop against Cameroon and Mexico. Even in Yugoslavia, regardless of the sport when underdogs, national teams would have good displays only to fart at the end of the match. I think that same thing still applies to all ex-YU NTs nowadays.

Oh of course when they are considered favorites they usually flop.

Brazil suffered no danger after that.

Apart from conceding a goal that that Japanese clown scratched off because someone was in the vicinity of JC :D

My two cents:

I think we will see a whole different Brazil in the next games on the road to the title (which will be theirs in my opinion).

This was the first game for them in front of an expecting home crowd and you could almost feel the nervousness of the players. The pressure must be insane for them.

Dani Alves played so badly I´ve never seen him play before! I dont want to imagine how Marcelo must have felt the moment he realized he scored an own goal...

Pretty sure this victory gives them a massive confidence boost and then its all the way to the 6th world cup for Brazil.

And yes, of course it was a dive but in the end its 3-1.

I´m sure PMLF wont agree, right? :D But thats what I think.

I agree with you and I like your style. I disagree with so many things in Brazil and I want a better country, but for me that's not a reason to root against my country. However, I respect PMLF's opinion regarding Brazil NT/CBF.

Apart from conceding a goal that that Japanese clown scratched off because someone was in the vicinity of JC :D

I believe that in most countries this is fault. In Brazil is fault for sure.

Football is universal. We can't think that everything is wrong because it went against what we usually see in our country, right?:brock:

Even if not, that was their best chance. Next to nothing. One own goal and a well disallowed goal (in my opinion).

with the amount of tension in the country, I can't see Brazil being eliminated before the Semi Finals

Tim Vickery, BBC's South American football correspondent said it would be a disaster which would pull more fuel on to the fire if Brazil were put out early

He was talking about off the pitch, protests, etc... could increase if Brazil is eliminated early, but I meant on the pitch there, as the host nation and a big team, referees are going to favor Brazil, remove Brazil and the competition will be fairer.

Archived