Reserve

Michael Carrick (Manchester United)

Andy Carroll (West Ham United)

Tom Cleverley (Manchester United)

Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC)

Jon Flanagan (Liverpool)

John Ruddy (Norwich City)

John Stones (Everton)

That England squad is surely better than the one Capello bought. The standby list terrifies me, though. Flanagan over Clyne, friggin CLEVERLEY over Barry or Huddlestone, and no wide player at all. If someone gets injured, be very afraid.

Phil Jones has two weeks to recover from his injury or John Stones will be in. I'd have put Stones over Jones in the first place to be honest.

I mean June 2nd.

• Administrators
For Japan, is Havenaar injured? What happened to him? And is Pavlyuchenko hiding somewhere?

Havenaar, whilst a bit cult, is ultimately rubbish.

Here's Ghana's 26

Adam Kwarasey, Fatau Dauda, Stephen Adams, Samuel Inkoom, Daniel Opare, Harrison Afful, Jeffrey Schlupp, John Boye, Jonathan Mensah, Rashid Sumaila, Jerry Akaminko, Michael Essien, Agyeman Badu, Sulley Muntari, Rabiu Mohammed, Kwadwo Asamoah, Afriyie Acquah, Christian Atsu, Albert Adomah, Andre Ayew, Wakasu Mubarak, David Accam, Asamoah Gyan, Kevin Prince Boateng, Majeed Waris, Jordan Ayew.

There are few greater names than Jeffrey Schlupp.

Also surprised about the complete non-appearance of Barry. He's not going to set the world on fire, but he's the sort of solid, non-nonsense player with experience that you need in a squad. Also we seem to have no holding midfielders (Gerrard doesn't count).

Algeria's 30:

Doukha, M’Bolhi, Si Mohammed, Zemmamouche

Belkalem, Bougherra, Cadamuro, Ghoulam, Halliche, Khoulad, Mandi, Medjani, Mesbah, Mostefa

Bentaleb, Boudebouz, Brahimi, Guediora, Karaoui, Lacen, Taider, Yebda

Djabou, Djebbour, Slimani, Ghilas, Feghouli, Mahrez, Soudani, Kadir

Cameroon:

Charles Itandje, Sammy N'Djock, Guy Roland N'dy Assembe.

Aurelien Chedjou, Nicholas Nkoulou, Allan Nyom, Cedric Djeugoue, Danny Noukeu, Armel Kana-Biyik, Henri Bedimo, Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Gaetan Bong

Eyong Enoh, Raoul Loe, Jean Makoun, Joel Matip, Alex Song, Landry N'Guemo, Raoul Loe, Edgar Salli.

Benjamin Moukandjo, Samuel Eto'o, Vincent Aboubakar, Pierre Webo, Momo Idrissou, Fabrice Olinga, Eric Choupo-Moting

Interesting that the vast majority of their team play for a domestic club.

There's a finite number of good Russian players and there's plenty of rich owners

Basically unless you're a very average Russian player, you're going to be paid really well

Apparently this is the preliminary list for Argentina. It's not official yet.

Arqueros: Romero, Andújar y Orion.

Defensores: Federico Fernández, Garay, Zabaleta, Rojo, Campagnaro, Basanta, Otamendi, Lisandro López y Peruzzi.

Mediocampistas: Mascherano, Gago, Banega, Biglia, Augusto Fernández*, Di María, Maxi Rodríguez y Ricardo Alvarez.

Cambiasso, Lucas Romero, José Sosa y Enzo Pérez.

Delanteros: Messi, Agüero, Higuaín, Lavezzi, Palacio y Franco Di Santo

*Injured yesterday but still can make it.

Apparently this is the preliminary list for Argentina. It's not official yet.

Arqueros: Romero, Andújar y Orion.

Defensores: Federico Fernández, Garay, Zabaleta, Rojo, Campagnaro, Basanta, Otamendi, Lisandro López y Peruzzi.

Mediocampistas: Mascherano, Gago, Banega, Biglia, Augusto Fernández*, Di María, Maxi Rodríguez y Ricardo Alvarez.

Cambiasso, Lucas Romero, José Sosa y Enzo Pérez.

Delanteros: Messi, Agüero, Higuaín, Lavezzi, Palacio y Franco Di Santo

*Injured yesterday but still can make it.

No Caballero or Musacchio, sigh. Expected it but still annoying.

Di Santo is in the list because it's the only target man. And because he's a very good person.

The coach has his group of favoured players and doesn't care how they played this season. Also Andujar, Orion, Fernandez, Rojo, Sosa and Perez were with him in Estudiantes.

I espect that the next manager includes Rulli, Musacchio, Orban, Romero, Gil Romero, Lamela, Correa and Ferreyra amongst others.

Di Santo is in the list because it's the only target man. And because he's a very good person.

The coach has his group of favoured players and doesn't care how they played this season. Also Andujar, Orion, Fernandez, Rojo, Sosa and Perez were with him in Estudiantes.

I espect that the next manager includes Rulli, Musacchio, Orban, Romero, Gil Romero, Lamela, Correa and Ferreyra amongst others.

Is Nico Gaitan not a NT candidate?

He is but he fight for a spot with Di Maria and Ricky Alvarez and also Maxi Rodriguez who can play in both wings. Also the system Sabella plays doens't help him. Perhaps after the WC he can be a regular part of the team

How on Earth is Carlos Tevez not in the Argentina squad?! :confused:

Sabella's never called him up has he? Does he not know that Tevez is Argentinian or something? :lol:

Because Agüero and Messi are better than he is and the other forwards offer something different than he does.

Because Agüero and Messi are better than he is and the other forwards offer something different than he does.

He's outscored both Higuain and Palacio in Serie A this season.

He's also much better than Palacio.

Rumors are Messi, who ultimately has a lot of pull in the team and federation, told them to leave off Tevez. Tevez is a hot head and gets into it with everyone including Messi and I don't think Messi is the kind to take kindly to criticism from a forward who never looks up when he dribbles or shoots lol.

USA 30 provisional list announced:

GOALKEEPERS (3) :Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (11) : DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

MIDFIELDERS (10) : Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Maurice Edu (Philadelphia Union), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (6) : Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

He's outscored both Higuain and Palacio in Serie A this season.

He's also much better than Palacio.

Higuain and Palacio have different roles in the national team than Tevez does, though. Tevez isn't competing with them for a spot; he's competing with Agüero and Messi. And he's not as good as they are. There's no shame in that -- those are two of the very best players in the world. It's just bad luck for him in the same way that Mikel Arteta has never gotten close to playing for his national team despite having a very good career.

• SI Staff

Altidore is allright, although he probably failed miserably at Sunderland. But he's probably behind Dempsey, Johansson and Donovan?

Beasley has been a wingback for a few years, although I remember him as a winger too.

Watched Aron Johannsson play on numerous occasions but I honestly had no idea he was American.

He was born in Mobile, Alabama, to Icelandic parents, and then him and the family moved immediately back to Iceland. Aside that, I don't think the dude has an American bone in his body. Just happen to be born in the right place at the right time.

Higuain and Palacio have different roles in the national team than Tevez does, though. Tevez isn't competing with them for a spot; he's competing with Agüero and Messi. And he's not as good as they are. There's no shame in that -- those are two of the very best players in the world. It's just bad luck for him in the same way that Mikel Arteta has never gotten close to playing for his national team despite having a very good career.

Fair enough. I genuinely wasn't sure.

I'm a massive fan of Tevez, he gave a lot to City in his time here (although not without some issues along the way :D) so I have always had a soft spot for him and probably always will have. I agree that if he's competing directly with Messi/Aguero then he shouldn't be near the side, because Aguero is amazing and Messi is Messi.

Interestingly - and because I don't follow international football on any continent besides Europe so I am pretty ignorant here - does this mean Messi and Aguero are unlikely to start together?

Archived