Going back to old FM's

Has anyone else done this?

After months & months & months of trying to get into an FM14 save, I finally took my girlfriend's advice and went back to FM13. (She was getting sick of me whinging that I couldn't get into FM. I'd keep loading new games, spending most of an entire day on pre-season and then giving up before we'd even kicked a ball in the league.) Last year I had a great Newcastle save going on fm13 but I've never gone back to an old version having bought a new one. This time, I loaded it up and of course I hadn't played my save since last October when fm14 came out, so it was nervy loading it up and I went back to it, evaluated my squad and where I was at, and wow what a decision - I am finally enjoying FM again, I am finally having press conferences with myself as I drive to work again, I am finally laying awake in bed mulling over the next starting line-up & summer transfers again! I am into FM again!!

There are many aspects I prefer about FM13, and one of the biggest is the seemingly small detail of actually being able to sell players when I offer them out... it makes a hell of a difference. I was so sick on FM14 of offering out good players for very little money (in fact, very often I'd give up and offer them out for FREE) and never receiving any offers. One of the most enjoyable aspects for me is pre-season, and squad building. Getting rid of deadwood and using the money to build my own team. This seemed very difficult to do on fm14. Whether players were on big wages, small wages, whatever, hardly anybody would sell.

Most of all though.. I just flipping love my Newcastle United squad on fm13. I guess the lesson is if you have a good thing going, there's no need to look elsewhere. I might even hang fire on FM15! :o

Dont go back. A voice in your head will be screaming that you're a quitter. :) What is playing FM if you're not annoyed by it. I almost went mad with this years tactics but finally perfect it and it's a joy to play. Start with a local club, play with lot world leagues and see where career takes you. I went from local club after 7 years I'm now employed by Ajax. FM 13 was great, but 14 is better! Enjoy! :)

Tried local club, tried unemployed sunday league rep, tried favourite Italian team, tried favourite Scottish team, tried small/med/big clubs in Spain, tried Man Utd and my supported club Southampton, tried challenging saves (Coventry) tried one I wanted (Hartlepool, started writing career updates on that one), tried big clubs in lower divs (Pompey/Wolves), tried something new (Australia/South American leagues)....tried it all, and I couldn't get into one single save.

I feel a bit gutted cos it's the first FM I've given up on. Some I get into straight away, some it takes me a while but I eventually get a decent save going. This one nothing, not even after all the patches. Something about it just seems like a backwards step to me.

I've given up with 14, I just can't be bothered changing my tactics round all the time which I never had to do on any other FM, It just seems on this version that when I finally get a decent tactic going and get a run of results, teams will just sit back and play on the counter attack against me.

I think I'm about to give up on FM14, but the previous one I had was FM11. Is it worth investing in FM12 or 13 instead?

I love FM13, best one since FM10, which was the best one since FM2007. Maybe by this 3-yearly logic I should wait until FM16..... :confused:

I've given up with 14, I just can't be bothered changing my tactics round all the time which I never had to do on any other FM, It just seems on this version that when I finally get a decent tactic going and get a run of results, teams will just sit back and play on the counter attack against me.

Yeah getting a decent tactic did seem a lot harder on FM14. But I blamed myself for that one.

To be honest there's quite a lot more wrong with FM14 (in my opinion) with the main issue being it's like looking after a creche rather than a football team. Bunch of cry babies - particularly if you start Sunday League Rep and they don't agree with ANYTHING you say. (I used to use this option all the time back in the early FM days, when I didn't even realise your past history affected anything...I was a Sunday League player so I used it to be accurate. It never seemed to affect me, I could take over Chelsea and players would respond to me. Not a chance these days.) It might make more sense to choose Automatic if you want a game with a more reputable club. But I did actually try virtually everything before finally giving up the ghost on FM14, and I just could not get immersed in the game. As I said in OP - back to FM13 and I'm back loving it, straight away. And not just cos I'm winning games...honestly!!!!!

Tried local club, tried unemployed sunday league rep, tried favourite Italian team, tried favourite Scottish team, tried small/med/big clubs in Spain, tried Man Utd and my supported club Southampton, tried challenging saves (Coventry) tried one I wanted (Hartlepool, started writing career updates on that one), tried big clubs in lower divs (Pompey/Wolves), tried something new (Australia/South American leagues)....tried it all, and I couldn't get into one single save.

I feel a bit gutted cos it's the first FM I've given up on. Some I get into straight away, some it takes me a while but I eventually get a decent save going. This one nothing, not even after all the patches. Something about it just seems like a backwards step to me.

Know that feeling, i finally got into one taking my beloved blades to the prem, but the save deleted... Might go back to fm09... lots of good memories.

I have struggled with FM14 pretty badly & for the 1st time ever I went back to a previous version, FM13. As soon as I stick FM13 on though I just can't get into and end up turning it off, probably because there is a later version out. I must have installed & uninstalled FM14 about 10 times and now I have no FM to play, it feels empty without it lol.

After typing this I went hunting and saw there was a 2013/14 update for FM11. It's ace!

Are you willing to share your sources? I still play FM11 myself, but I cringe seeing the promoted/relegated teams in the wrong tiers.

I went back to 12 when 13 came out. I didn't like 13 at all.

14 was ok, I actually liked it but each update seems to move the goalposts or cause a problem with the information translation. So either match engine issues or media issues or whatever. The parameters they use don't match up with the text descriptions either. Having said that, I find 14 a lot more accessible than 13, but not quite as sexy as 12's match engine. I'm thinking, once they finally nullify all the little niggles with the new engine then they'll have a winner on their hands. If I think about it, 12 was the most refined game of the old engine, so hopefully 15/16/17 will be massive improvements.

If they improve it, and if they maybe take a step back from all the psychological wishy washy stuff - or at least make it more sensible, then the future's pretty bright I reckon.

Loved 12, hated 13 and taken ages to get into 14.

14 is overly complicated and much more involved, players morale fluctuates all the time which makes it harder. I noticed it does take twice as long to get your ideas and tactics to work, older more established players don't take to new managers well, I' have a clean sweep of the squad and know it'll take 10-14 games before they gel but I get better squad harmony with this.

I'm really glad i read this post. I thought it was just me getting bored of the FM series but i just haven't been able to get into 13 or 14 at all....something just doesn't feel right. I want realism and fun, just not too sure how much of either i'm getting

feel exactly the same and can only echo previous posters comments. Its all well and good saying you need to give it time to gel but what if you are told to win the league? some managers can walk in and steam roll a league first season - doesn't happen enough on this game. Too many ways in which your tactics can fall short.

I personally don't think that SI made FM14 as "difficult" for some of us as it is on purpose (but that's just my opinion). The ME is a constant work in progress, and this year even more because of all the sliders removed, outside-the-pitch factor seem to have a slightly overpowering effect than they should have (morale is a good example), an annoying bug here, an annoying bug there (which we will unfortunately always have, due to the fact that this is a franchise that releases a newer version of the game on a yearly basis), et voila! We found ourselves (a big part of us - not everyone of course) disappointed with this years release.

I stopped ranting when I realized that this is the first FM game I'm disappointed with. SI has released awesome game year in and year out, and I have no doubts that FM15 will be back on track. The guys who are making this game certainly don't have it easy - trying to find the perfect balance between realism and fun must be a big headache, especially working on a game franchise that has a yearly release. But like I said before, looking back at all of the work SI has done with this game on a yearly basis, I'm 100% sure that FM15 will be incredibly enjoyable.

I too am still playing FM11.

Really gone off the past two FM's (13,14) I did play FM13 alot to be fair, but I disliked alot of the changes (especially the layout) FM14 I have hardly touched.

Went back to a few older FM's, before settling for FM11.. been playing it since last November now. Really enjoyable version, I especially love the steam exclusive retro skin.

140257d1298949889-adel-taarabt-38-games-22-goals-20-assists-adel.png

That's a nice skin to be fair!

Fonts make a big difference for me. FM (and CM before) used to use such nice fonts. Why they've settled on a standard Arial for recent versions is beyond me.. it's very Zzzzzzz....... I always change default font on mine.

Really gone off the past two FM's (13,14) I did play FM13 alot to be fair, but I disliked alot of the changes (especially the layout) FM14 I have hardly touched.

Went back to a few older FM's, before settling for FM11.. been playing it since last November now. Really enjoyable version, I especially love the steam exclusive retro skin.

That's a nice skin to be fair!

Fonts make a big difference for me. FM (and CM before) used to use such nice fonts. Why they've settled on a standard Arial for recent versions is beyond me.. it's very Zzzzzzz....... I always change default font on mine.

What was the name of the above font btw?

Best skin ever no doubt!

I still play FM11 a lot. I have FM14 too and am slowly getting into it but for me, FM11 was perfect. I have one save where I am in 2050!

I kinda have to agree. Had my best successes on FM11 and dusted off the old savegame last night after reading this thread. I'm in 2051 at the moment and what is really obvious now with the comparison between the FM11 and FM14 in the ME. In FM11 the ball seems to "stick" to the ground a lot more, it doesn't run as smooth as the ME in FM14. Not sure if I'll continue with FM11 as the UI is annoying me a bit now, but at least it's fun to go back for a little while.

I tried FM 13 and didn't like it as it was too slow. Went back to FM12.

I tried FM14 for about 3 or 4 days. Didn't like it and it was too slow. Plus there was things in it that just boiled my blood - like the autocollapsing of the Squad Filter on the tactics screen, which I was informed wasn't going back to the old way of staying open. Literally took x2 as long to pick a team.

Went back to FM12.

Basically I've been on FM12 since it came out. I'm very happy with it.

I might give the next demo a go. But I probably won't buy it. And if I do it will be in February after the last patch.

FM12 just ticks all the boxes for me.

I tried FM 13 and didn't like it as it was too slow. Went back to FM12.

I tried FM14 for about 3 or 4 days. Didn't like it and it was too slow. Plus there was things in it that just boiled my blood - like the autocollapsing of the Squad Filter on the tactics screen, which I was informed wasn't going back to the old way of staying open. Literally took x2 as long to pick a team.

Went back to FM12.

Basically I've been on FM12 since it came out. I'm very happy with it.

I might give the next demo a go. But I probably won't buy it. And if I do it will be in February after the last patch.

FM12 just ticks all the boxes for me.

Purchased FM13 and FM14.

Same issues as yourself.

Uninstalled FM14 after 102 hours, reinstalled FM12.

The enjoyment returned and that's the crux for me.

I generally play 'default' with no skin or image pack changes whatsoever but that I want! Where do I find it?

Yeah it really is a lovey skin, best one.

It's a default skin that comes with the game.

Like with FM14 you have the default skin and a dark skin. With FM11 you had a default skin, a dark skin and the retro skin.

But the retro skin was a steam exclusive, you had to register/install FM11 via steam to get the retro skin.

I'd upload the FM11 retro skin if SI don't mind? There really is no incentive now, as you must use steam now adays if you want to play FM.

Yeah it really is a lovey skin, best one.

It's a default skin that comes with the game.

Like with FM14 you have the default skin and a dark skin. With FM11 you had a default skin, a dark skin and the retro skin.

But the retro skin was a steam exclusive, you had to register/install FM11 via steam to get the retro skin.

I'd upload the FM11 retro skin if SI don't mind? There really is no incentive now, as you must use steam now adays if you want to play FM.

Thanks, for some reason didn't find the skin options when having a brief look in preferences yesterday and wasn't sure if it was something I got via steam (like you now do with the editor). However easily found it this morning (I didn't use steam the first time but I did when re-installing it and that seems to be enough) and switched.

Funny because my team has been playing the same tactic for 17 years and it still going ok for me. I have to admit that I have the best squad in the world but still. I sometimes loose matches so some tactics might be working against me despite having superior players quality but I can't complain. It might not be your tactics but the fact you are facing teams with greater player quality.

In response to the original posters post i've not gone back, i've simply not moved forward. I hate admitting it but at 29 years old FM14 is the first fm/cm ive not purchased in my life.

Each new edition has knocked my love of the game slightly and I genuinely didnt want to spend money (at a time where money is tight for everyone) on the latest version and have my love for the franchise knocked further.

As a rule I always purchase around December/January time when hopefully all major bugs are patched etc + ive had enough time to get together the latest facepack, logos etc. This Fm though I was noticing more and more people complaining and moaning. It worries me more than a large portion of those unhappy were older players like myself. I know I fall foul of the "dont judge until you try" line but im usually a 1-2 long term saves kinda guy and ive continued playing fm13.

My issues with the game are due to me being stuck in a kind of catch 22.

I miss the ease in which I use to fly through seasons as a child. I know their is the FMC mode but I have issues with OCD and likely am the biggest stato freak in the world. I like to play the game with nearly every league loaded, as many players as possible and start at the bottom somewhere ive never heard of and work my way up and potentially round the world. I have a pet hate of the old greyed out name players an should I click a random 2nd tier Swedish side....I want to see real players there etc. On older editions of FM (11 + 12 etc...) I could run virtually all the leagues with no delay. Obviously times change and tech advances but im running a fairly decent machine and even fm13 takes forever to process between days once you're a couple of seasons into a save. Im truly scared to think how FM14 would perform for me. Ive just got use to my FM13 save taking a while now and i'll be doing other stuff while waiting a few minutes to process.

I wont get into the arguement regarding shouts and the bars being taken away. Ive never used shouts. While plug and play style isnt "real to life" like some get wound up about, I just enjoyed that way of playing the game. Like I said im a bit OCD with those things and enjoyed tinkering and adjusting things to effect the game etc.

My next bit of OCD is I like everything to be up to date or as near to it as possible. While I've seen others go back to the wonderful fm11 and such I just dont think I could do it. Not just because my beloved NCFC will be back in the championship average as anything but so many other players and stats blah blah blah will be vastly out of date.

All this said ill likely purchase fm15 and give it a try but I do miss the old days. New features are great but do feel some of the aspects that made the game gain a cult following have been lost along the way.

Apologies for the whaffle guys.

In response to the original posters post i've not gone back, i've simply not moved forward. I hate admitting it but at 29 years old FM14 is the first fm/cm ive not purchased in my life.

Each new edition has knocked my love of the game slightly and I genuinely didnt want to spend money (at a time where money is tight for everyone) on the latest version and have my love for the franchise knocked further.

As a rule I always purchase around December/January time when hopefully all major bugs are patched etc + ive had enough time to get together the latest facepack, logos etc. This Fm though I was noticing more and more people complaining and moaning. It worries me more than a large portion of those unhappy were older players like myself. I know I fall foul of the "dont judge until you try" line but im usually a 1-2 long term saves kinda guy and ive continued playing fm13.

My issues with the game are due to me being stuck in a kind of catch 22.

I miss the ease in which I use to fly through seasons as a child. I know their is the FMC mode but I have issues with OCD and likely am the biggest stato freak in the world. I like to play the game with nearly every league loaded, as many players as possible and start at the bottom somewhere ive never heard of and work my way up and potentially round the world. I have a pet hate of the old greyed out name players an should I click a random 2nd tier Swedish side....I want to see real players there etc. On older editions of FM (11 + 12 etc...) I could run virtually all the leagues with no delay. Obviously times change and tech advances but im running a fairly decent machine and even fm13 takes forever to process between days once you're a couple of seasons into a save. Im truly scared to think how FM14 would perform for me. Ive just got use to my FM13 save taking a while now and i'll be doing other stuff while waiting a few minutes to process.

I wont get into the arguement regarding shouts and the bars being taken away. Ive never used shouts. While plug and play style isnt "real to life" like some get wound up about, I just enjoyed that way of playing the game. Like I said im a bit OCD with those things and enjoyed tinkering and adjusting things to effect the game etc.

My next bit of OCD is I like everything to be up to date or as near to it as possible. While I've seen others go back to the wonderful fm11 and such I just dont think I could do it. Not just because my beloved NCFC will be back in the championship average as anything but so many other players and stats blah blah blah will be vastly out of date.

All this said ill likely purchase fm15 and give it a try but I do miss the old days. New features are great but do feel some of the aspects that made the game gain a cult following have been lost along the way.

Apologies for the whaffle guys.

Agree wholeheartedly. Whaffling is ok when it's a good whaffle - that's a good whaffle!

BTW I too have those OCD's and could never envisage myself playing FMC. On the main menu when starting a new game I've never hovered the mouse over it, never even thought about it. As far as I'm concerned it's not an option.

I miss the ease in which I use to fly through seasons as a child. I know their is the FMC mode but I have issues with OCD and likely am the biggest stato freak in the world. I like to play the game with nearly every league loaded, as many players as possible and start at the bottom somewhere ive never heard of and work my way up and potentially round the world.

You can do all of that in FMC. FMC14, anyway. Loading more leagues will just obviously slow down the speed of your game.

Never got '13, finally got '14 in a discount. Lord is it SLOW. Bloated. Ponderous. I mean seriously, it's the same game as my trusty '11 ('12 was OK, but I prefer '11). Play a match (always with the dots in my case, I like my imagination to do the work) and do some transfer work. But now the bloat has got so terrible that it's a dreadful slog to go through a season, even if I give all the dreadful media bolox to my assman.

There are some nice things. I love the new tactics philosophy, and I am happy with the new training system. But it's just so SLOOOOOOW. And I'm not complaining that I'm not winning, mind you, if anything it has been rather easy to fine tune a shiny modern tactic to steamroll the lower divisions (I always play LLM). But honestly, I'm dropping off to sleep waiting for the next matchday to come around. I'm going back to '12.

Nice to hear from all of you! I thought i was the only one, still playing fm12 and im using the forum to improve my tactics. I have fm13 and fm14 but never liked them, my main issue is ice hockey thing despite new role etc...

I've not played any for a couple of months, mainly because I grew sick and tired of the awful football in 14. I have now finally started to play 13 again and carried on an old save I had on that, it's still not great but much better than 14.

Personally FM14 has been fantastic for me, best one I have played, in saying that I have loved everyone (started on Champ man 03/04 then every FM since 07), the game just gets better and better, due to my OCD whenever I go back to an older FM I can only play a save I have already invested time in, can't start over which is a shame. But all in all I feel FM 14 although crammed with loads of information everywhere, the game only gets better

Well, I've skipped FM2014 as I havent had time to really get into my FM2013 save - so I didnt see much point in starting over and losing all my progress.

I've had similar experiences though, I got Fm2012 for example, and I really couldnt get a feel for it, I didn't like the UI changes and it didn't feel quite right, I only had 27 hours logged on it in the end, which is nothing for FM, considering I play it while I watch programmes or movies. So I went back to 2011 in that instance, an didn't regret it. It's starting to seem like odd numbers are my thing, with the exception of Fm2009, which I hated, and 2010 which I loved.

FM 14 is a good game, but it's not what I want out of this type of game anymore. It used to be a relaxing, relatively easy game where I can fulfil my football fantasies after a hard day's work. Now it's become something that requires my full attention and focus, even when I delegate a lot of stuff to the assistant manager. The nature of the game changed, and when I play it I feel it's draining me, which is unacceptable. At the same time, I see a lot of people enjoying those changes which leads me to believe FM franchise is most likely a closed chapter for me. It's only going to get "worse".

You can do all of that in FMC. FMC14, anyway. Loading more leagues will just obviously slow down the speed of your game.

True, Maybe come fm15 Ill give it a whirl. Whats the worst that can happen ;) I get the feeling I will prefer the full fat game though as opposed to a diet version. Just miss the good old days when I could literally load the full game, with a million and one facepacks loaded, kits, logos etc...the lot and it still fun fine well into 10 game years etc. The basis of the games still the same and human team building will always eventually beat AI team building.

FM 14 is a good game, but it's not what I want out of this type of game anymore. It used to be a relaxing, relatively easy game where I can fulfil my football fantasies after a hard day's work. Now it's become something that requires my full attention and focus, even when I delegate a lot of stuff to the assistant manager. The nature of the game changed, and when I play it I feel it's draining me, which is unacceptable. At the same time, I see a lot of people enjoying those changes which leads me to believe FM franchise is most likely a closed chapter for me. It's only going to get "worse".

I sympathize. I had that same feeling from the newer versions. I have come to the realization that the game has not changed too much. Instead, my familiarity with the game is what has changed. I knew where everything was on FM11. I knew the nuances and what to do in order to succeed, so I could play the game while half asleep. As my familiarity with FM14 increases, I am noticing it becoming a more comfortable experience. It is a bit tougher than older versions, but it is more the lack of familiarity that made it feel so jarring to me when I first tried it out.

I generally think the UI, layout and changes in that department are the most hampering of all.

The scout reports seem to somehow make the game so much slower, even in FM12.

But I'm playing FM12 now and it's great - except I don't use scouts. I'm in 2042 and loving it. The game moves swiftly.

But FM13 and FM14 are a disappointment in the speed - regardless of club scouts or not.

Anyway - I generally don't like a lot of the UI changes in FM13 and FM14 - I think they're useless to be honest.

I feel Fm12 has the best UI experience, a huge change from FM11 - but it was in the right direction. FM13 was a massive step backwards, and FM14 was too.

Archived