Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interestingly, the default setting for the striker is DLF, which is what I was going to try anyways, but I changed a few other things: AML/R to Inside Forwards, the CMs to Box-to-Box midfielders, the fullbacks to wingbacks, the DM to "Anchor Man", and the keeper to sweeper keeper, so it is:

.............DLF.................

AML........................AMR

........BBM.....BBM...........

........Anchor Man...........

DL (WB-s)DC, DC, DR (WB-s)

...............SK..................

Standard-Fluid

Press More

More Expressive

Zonal Marking

Shorter Passing

And I saw something I had never seen before: My DLF held the ball up around the 40 yard line and the defense moved up to engage him. He looked out to his right, then to his left, then hooked a through ball on the inside for a Box-to-Box midfielder to run onto, free and clear. The BBM scored even though he should be terrible in that situation (Fletcher).

That's pretty much the formation I go with, but I've never thought of the DLF/BBM combo, going to start that for my struggling Bradford side (just taken them over after leaving Truro and in danger of the sack already after just 10 or so games, haha). Used the above tactic with Truro and got to the BSS playoff final, and after starting at Bradford with a straight 4-4-2 until I worked out what players were best where, going to use this now. Nice one.

Oh aye, this is the ME feedback bit, eh? Sorry.

I think you guys missed the point.

if it is "tactics" if i am beating chelsea,city,arsenal 4-2-3-1 at home, by the same scorelines then my tactics are working, no offdays, (before I beat chelsea 6-1 I drew with Norwich...) it just makes no logical sence for the tactics to then fail when players are at thier sharpest supposedly, a draw was fine, but it is just a bit bonkers.

Away matches are harder, sometimes i think stupidly so.

So because it happened two seasons ago thats ok? Did you see the last part? Thats two championship sides that turned into Barcelona when I played them.

The last paragraph suggests it is a trend, so yes, it is OK that away matches are tough. Typically, only 3-5 teams out of 20 win more away matches than they lose. There's no absolute right for you to be winning these matches. You have to earn them. Difference between being champions or also-rans.

If you get ripped apart when playing away, I'm sure you'll be aware as to what I'll suggest the reason is.

And you'll say it's my tactics, but I will say that surely playing at home to Man City is generally a lot harder than playing away to Bristol City? Or even a team like Norwich? But I don't feel like it is. This is the first FM I have felt this.

You say my team has to earn wins. Which is fine, but I feel like every home game has been a breeze and every away game is a slog. This isn't right.

But at home I will smash these sides, thats the thing.

Look I have no issue with having to change game plan/motivational approach for certain sides. But it doesn't feel like that at all. It feels like I have to change not because of the team I am facing, but where I am playing.

sometimes there is an edge, other times you wonder what is going on.

but being outplayed and snatching draws/wins as United against teams like Southamton and Norwich away, they possibly up thier game, i had a thing in FM12 when i was promoted to premier league, of saying no pressure, and winning games AWAY against the likes of chelsea, the team is relaxed, so doesnt rush into mistakes, perhaps it is that happens in such situations.

and of course they are reluctant to attack, so you take ages to break them down, then they come out when you do.

big clubs attack you, so leave holes. so it SHOULD be normal, but working your backside off for 60 minutes to get through a wall, only to concede within 10 minutes is rather tedius.

Well... that's not what I am saying at all? I'm saying it's being taken into account too much.

Irl, if Bristol City drew Arsenal in the FA Cup the away side would be favourites. On FM 13 it feels like that every away game I'm going into it as the underdog.

Let's look more into this City game. My team is high on morale and on an excellent run of form. I pick a strong side, although slightly weaker then usual. City are bottom of the Championship, morale is low and the fitness of the players is low too. In the team talk I tell them not to be complacement. The majority of my side is motivated.

For me, the best chance City have of winning this game is to play like the underdogs they are. Let me having plenty of the ball, defend for their lives and hope to get lucky on the counter. What I don't expect to happen is for the underdogs to play expansive, one touch football whilst my set of vastly superior players cannot pass 5 yards.

Well... that's not what I am saying at all? I'm saying it's being taken into account too much.

Irl, if Bristol City drew Arsenal in the FA Cup the away side would be favourites. On FM 13 it feels like that every away game I'm going into it as the underdog.

Let's look more into this City game. My team is high on morale and on an excellent run of form. I pick a strong side, although slightly weaker then usual. City are bottom of the Championship, morale is low and the fitness of the players is low too. In the team talk I tell them not to be complacement. The majority of my side is motivated.

For me, the best chance City have of winning this game is to play like the underdogs they are. Let me having plenty of the ball, defend for their lives and hope to get lucky on the counter. What I don't expect to happen is for the underdogs to play expansive, one touch football whilst my set of vastly superior players cannot pass 5 yards.

Look at the away records in FM tables and the away records in reality. If there is a significant difference, then you have a point. Until then, we aren't going to get anywhere.

As for your last paragraph, sounds like a serious issue of you not managing things very well.

Well my main gripe is with performances not results. I've seen Arsenal struggle to win games at home but win away games at a canter. I have yet to experience this.

and as for the last part, is Mikel Arteta constantly giving the ball away despite being under very little pressure and having enough players to pass to a problem with my tactics? Especially as he can be in the same position at home and actually pass it.

i dunno, but there is something frustrating about defenders, they keep track of thier man, then stop, losing him completly....

why? this is leading to crosses and goals

and why is the team that starts at home in a 2 leg cup always going through? Barcalona even suffered it

and just assmaned a game

done that 4 times.

2 injuries

2 injuries

0 injures

4 injures

explain how i'm constantly getting injures when I holiday a match? yet hardly get any when doing it myself.

Considering i set tight marking and hard tackles on Pato, he had enough freedom to score

[video=youtube;fnvswsxlBaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnvswsxlBaA

and this..

[video=youtube;0UdhNPOnH0E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UdhNPOnH0E

just makes me think it's better if i take a break from the game until the next patch will be released.

1st video was legit, Pato is just world class. 2nd goal was a howler, no doubt.

i don't know what SI done wrong in this patch

but number of shots on goal is ridicilous...for example brazil playeg against tunis in world cup and brazil have only 3 shots (all 3 of them were off target)..and tunis have only 2..and both of the are goals

a lot of my matches in end have less then 10 shots...both me and AI

that's not how it should be...right?

Far too many tackles are now taking place. I posted during patch 13.0.2 to say that the number of tackles were too low and that it should be upped slightly. What I did not expect was for the amount of tackles attempted to go through the roof! In real life, central defenders will on average attempt somewhere between 2-3 tackles per match, but on FM 13.0.3 they're attempting 12 tackles etc. It's just too high and I think this could also be slightly contributing for the big increase in the amount of injuries that we are all experiencing.

Koscielny from Arsenal in real life had one the the highest rates of tackles attempted last year for central defenders with hsi average being 2.6 tackles per match.

My two cents... I'm a FM11 player who has made the switch to FM13.

The one gripe I have about the ME is that the players always seem like they are sort of ice-skating. It's like the walking/running animations dont translate that well to there actual speed and movement. Sometimes it just looks like they're sliding on the pitch and their feet dont really keep up.

Maybe it's just me, but it was the FIRST thing I noticed when I fired up my first FM13 game.

A very quick question then: is it possible to stop through-balls from the wingers/wide midfielders in this game? It is the single greatest threat to any tactic I have tried to make in 13.1.3. That is all that matters at this point - I know I will score goals now and then, but I am in desperate need to stop AI strikers from doing what they bloody well please with my defense (as long as the ball is out wide along the mid-field line).

I haven't had much of an issue with those, but rather the opposite: I thrive on them.

I play a surprisingly negative tactic (at least for a top 4 team); 4-4-1-1, counter attacking, one fullback always on defend, and (unless the opponents are crap) the other full back on support. Sometimes I go to "standard", but I avoid being more attacking than that unless I have to chase a goal. The basic tactic is to sit deep with two banks of four and an additional player to harass their holding midfielder (most teams only play with one), avoid overextend yourself on the flanks, and hitting them on the break when they mess up. It's not the highest scoring tactic, but my defensive record is excellent, and grinding out 1-0 wins has been my specialty so far.

So it's definitely possible, but I'm not sure if there is a solution that doesn't involve playing a negative and reactive game...

Far too many tackles are now taking place. I posted during patch 13.0.2 to say that the number of tackles were too low and that it should be upped slightly. What I did not expect was for the amount of tackles attempted to go through the roof! In real life, central defenders will on average attempt somewhere between 2-3 tackles per match, but on FM 13.0.3 they're attempting 12 tackles etc. It's just too high and I think this could also be slightly contributing for the big increase in the amount of injuries that we are all experiencing.

Koscielny from Arsenal in real life had one the the highest rates of tackles attempted last year for central defenders with hsi average being 2.6 tackles per match.

Just played 1 match and had 2 more players out injured albeit my star striker is out for 5 months with a broken foot! These are all match related injuries and it is nothing to do with my tactics as I have not altered my tactics and did not have a problem with injuries with the previous patch. I now have a total of 8 first teamers out injured!

seems to be an AI thing then, because i'm not getting as many injuries in 2 months as my assistant pulls out.

It seems that certain tactical approaches are stressing players far more than others, meaning human and AI managers that play in those ways are likely to see more injuries. If you look at your assistant's profile, his preferred tactics and approach should give some clue as to how much he'll push your players during a match.

He is not obliged to help anyone and is not expected by law to offer any support to improve the product he bought. He has the right though to demand a product that does what it says it does.

He is the customer in case you haven't noticed.

Oh, and about your "99% of people don't know what the sliders do and they are hostile" argument: I wonder who's fault that is. We have a feature in the game, a MAJOR feature that is not explained and it has never been explained properly, and you have the nerve to claim it's the players fault for wanting an explanation?

I can understand wwwfan's efforts to explain things, I can respect that. But you come off completely clueless, so it's a wonder how you are still a moderator.

No inner knowledge about a higher level of tactical understanding (that only the developers understand properly), applied through misguided in-game tools can convince anyone that the game doesn't suffer from numerous and serious design flaws.

If you provoke the players with your inner knowledge, it's only logical you will get hostility.

If someone can't be bothered to post in the bugs forum, what's the point in them posting complaints at all? Without the PKMs, they're basically meaningless and anecdotal. What does being a customer have to do with it? And don't pull out that "always right" nonsense. If you've spent any time at all working in a customer service role, you realise the folly of that statement.

I never said it wasn't SI's fault that the tactical sliders were so hard to understand, and I never said it was the user's fault for wanting an explanation. What is the user's fault is, when given an explanation, they just descend into stubbornness and insults, something which happens every single year. What's the point in asking for an explanation when you're just going to insist that you know better anyway?

I honestly couldn't care less with how I come off to people. The people who want and are willing to receive help get along fine, those who don't, who basically just want to be told they're doing everything right and it's bugs, bugs, bugs making things difficult for them, don't. Hmmm.

The Tactics Creator is a, pretty successful imo, attempt to help people understand and implement their tactics. But they actually have to be willing to embrace it before they can actually get results from it.

There's no need to provoke anything, the hostility is already here. This can be a horrible place to for people to post, which is what prompted this.

I seen Ackter post before that someone had said they could not be bothered to upload a PKM and Ackter had said not to bother posting on the forum then :p

It is just how he is so no point in going into a debate about it.You are right I am not obligated to upload PKM's and tbh I scratch my head as to why I should when I keep getting "it's your tactics" slammed down my throat,even when I point out I am winning I am then told "you are exploiting something in the ME"...go figure :)

Again, what's the point in complaining if you don't provide the files and information SI need to do something about it? You may as well not post. If you had a problem with your antivirus, for example, and they asked you for information in order to help solve the problem, would you provide that information or would you say "no, you should know how to fix it without any useful information"?

The majority of issues on this forum regarding tactics can​ be solved tactically, the tactics forum has shown this time and again. If you don't want to believe you may be doing something that's making these issues occur, or is making real issue more prevalent, then you're never going to enjoy the game. What you're experiencing might be a bug, or bugs, but the only way to tell for sure is a) eliminate the tactical elements that may be the problem and b) provide SI with the information they need to examine it and determine the problems, if there are any.

Couple of bizarre messages in game from my Assistant in the last two games. "I am being dominated in the air by Aaron Lennon" and "I am being dominated in the air by Michael Owen" !!! Mmm, not the sort of players you expect to dominate you in the air!! Tactic or an ME issue?? Also noticed that Owen was getting onto a lot of through balls which my midfield failed to close down and outpacing my defenders who on paper are quicker than Owen is these days. Couldn't believe his pace for a pace stat of 14.

I must say I think closing down was better pre patch.

Finally had a chance to get a few games out of the new update, after having my last laptop die on me :(

Anyway, overall it seems like a massive leap forward. I've got a small sample at the moment, having played around 10 matches, but so far I'm seeing a lot better movement from my wingers, including a willingness to take on their man and try a cross.

Defensively the biggest problems I had before are mostly improved, with a lot less static defenders ball-watching as opponents score, better standards of awareness from my GK and overall much less stupidity.

The only gripe I still have is that my DR and DL are utterly incapable of marking the opposing winger. All too often I am seeing the ball played down my left hand side, and my DR wanders infield toward the goal leaving the opposing left winger in acres of space. This is in spite of me setting him to specifically man mark this player. I accept it could be that my DR and DL are just idiots, and incapable of following instructions, so I will monitor it further

*edit*

jeez, my 4000th post was hardly momentus :(

Couple of bizarre messages in game from my Assistant in the last two games. "I am being dominated in the air by Aaron Lennon" and "I am being dominated in the air by Michael Owen" !!! Mmm, not the sort of players you expect to dominate you in the air!! Tactic or an ME issue?? Also noticed that Owen was getting onto a lot of through balls which my midfield failed to close down and outpacing my defenders who on paper are quicker than Owen is these days. Couldn't believe his pace for a pace stat of 14.

I must say I think closing down was better pre patch.

Sussex, were the through balls coming from way out wide on the flanks?

I haven't had much of an issue with those, but rather the opposite: I thrive on them.

I play a surprisingly negative tactic (at least for a top 4 team); 4-4-1-1, counter attacking, one fullback always on defend, and (unless the opponents are crap) the other full back on support. Sometimes I go to "standard", but I avoid being more attacking than that unless I have to chase a goal. The basic tactic is to sit deep with two banks of four and an additional player to harass their holding midfielder (most teams only play with one), avoid overextend yourself on the flanks, and hitting them on the break when they mess up. It's not the highest scoring tactic, but my defensive record is excellent, and grinding out 1-0 wins has been my specialty so far.

So it's definitely possible, but I'm not sure if there is a solution that doesn't involve playing a negative and reactive game...

You only need to use wide midfielders and a poacher. To prevent it against yourself you need to have a deep defensive line and wide midfielders yourself.

I've said this in the feedback thread, but think it is also worth noting in here about the lack of training and a 'user guide' that comes with the game. I know you can turn on the help text, but it isn't detailed enough.

I've proposed the following:

Introduce a badges/coaches element to the game. Have this as a manager profile default. For example, when you create a new game, allow the user to set that they have all, some or none of the badges based on their experience. Someone like wwfan would say he has all badges, so no in-game training would be required and no assistance would be needed in the TC. But if I selected I was an ex-professional with no experience, during the pre-season I would be taken through a guided training session of how the tactics work, what instructions do what, when and how to use shouts and formations and player instructions.

How to set up training to get the best and when to change it, pre/during/post season. This would allow less experienced players to learn more about the game, because it has never been as realistic as it has until now. Finally you need to know what you’re doing to a degree. Some help would reduce complaints on the forums. Even something like a quiz to pass your badges, for example, you could be asked some scenario based questions like: ‘your assistant manager has told you that you’re being overrun in midfield, how would you combat this? With three possible answers to choose from. It would help human players understand how to use the shouts more effectively, how to change the strategy and philosophies during the game and at the very extreme end, how to adjust your formations and individual instructions for players.

I think the lack of understanding is causing people that previously didn't need to put so much thought into their tactics much grief. Losing automatically puts people on the defensive and they're quick to blame the game and not themselves. You tell someone it's their tactics, not the game and it's like you've kissed their mother. I'm the same, I'm miserable when I'm losing, hate being told I'm wrong and automatically go looking for bugs, like my keeper making errors and my defenders making errors. Rather than understand why this is happening, I'm calling it a bug. These days I take a step back, check over in the tactics forum, understand that playing one certain way will open me up to certain situations and now I'm dealing with my tactical vulnerabilities, rather than bemoaning a broken game.

Yes there are problems with the ME, everyone has admitted that, no-one has said it's perfect but none that are so bad it's unplayable. I would guess that 90% of the complaints are tactical flaws, not problems with the ME. I've finally got a tactic winning me games. I'm asking for help, getting help and using that knowledge to build decent tactics for my mid-table team.

I even beat the top team once, I bet the AI manager will be here soon moaning that the game is broken because I beat him ;)

After playing a lot of hours, with and without the update, and watching a lot of all the matches I've played, I've come to the conclusion that this ME is one of the worst I can remember playing. It was awful before the patch, and whilst there has been an improvement, is still pretty bad.

Cut a long story short, this is basically what I'm getting from it - It was hard to defend and now it's hard to attack. The finishing/long shots is poor and the tackling has just got ridiculous. The amount of inch perfect, through the back, scything, two footed, supposedly legitimate lunging/tackles is through the roof, whilst the amount of 1-0's, 0-0's and draws is like watching paint dry. I won't go into anymore detail as I'm sure there is nothing else I can say about the ME that hasn't already been said, and quite frankly, I'm tired of beta testing a game I paid so much money for.

An expensive lesson learned.

I've come to the conclusion that this ME is one of the worst I can remember playing

I love the ME. It has errors, and I completely agree that the slide tackling from behind is one of them, but I find it more balance than ever before. I agree there are too few shots across the board. Not in my games, but there are perhaps too few in AI v AI.

What I love about this ME is that for the first time ever I can't just pick a tactic that exploits quick strikers and win every game. I've built my team up to be one of the best in the SPL, and now I go on 3 or 4 game winning streaks (just like IRL) rather than 20-25 game winning streaks. Look at the points dropped by top of the table teams IRL, in football games don't always go to plan. Only the rare incredible team has consistent results.

I love this ME, bigger concerns for me are still AI squad building and a few other things

I would love to know the demographics of the various posts on here.

Yeh, impossible to discover of course, but if you could I'm pretty sure it would prove that when put together all our "expert" input on these forums is representative of sod all :D

Anyone else has insane ratings of centre backs? In my save, best rated players are defenders. If this goes on the next Golden ball will be won by Brede Hangeland. I also think I´ve finally solved the lack of shots - i set my D line ultra deep and suddenly I create a lot of shots, the problem is that it goes against football logic. When Iam trailing I just set my team to defensive mentality and boom, here we go. So, basically if you want to be succesfull in this game, do the opposite of what is logical. You want to score goals? Do not attack, defend.

As the title states @ 1980*1028 in the touchline view the ball is incredibly tiny when it is in the far ( high ) side of the field.

To try to fix it I even loaded a third party ball graphic to no avail. Also zooming via mouse wheel is pretty much useless.

Am I the only one in needing of the Hubble Telescope to spot the ball ??

Thx

As the title states @ 1980*1028 in the touchline view the ball is incredibly tiny when it is in the far ( high ) side of the field.

To try to fix it I even loaded a third party ball graphic to no avail. Also zooming via mouse wheel is pretty much useless.

Am I the only one in needing of the Hubble Telescope to spot the ball ??

Thx

I also think the ball is too tiny. To me this is even more obvious in games playing during the day (without artificial light).

SI always said that the ball as the right size... so for me the problem must me with the enviroment.

I also think the ball is too tiny. To me this is even more obvious in games playing during the day (without artificial light).

SI always said that the ball as the right size... so for me the problem must me with the enviroment.

The ball is sized correctly IMO when players in touchline view play near the bottom of the screen but when they play in the far side of the field the ball becomes microscopic.

When I am in a real stadium I can see the ball even if it is quite far from me but within the pitch of FM I can't see it or I see it in a microscopic shape.

I assume that I need a eye health check but this issue happens to me only in FM....

Are you perhaps aware of any mod to enlarge the ball size ? :eek:

I don't know of any to enlarge it. I haven't seen the ball mod Erismus made, but from fm12 there is a 'gaspar's ball pack' which has a lot of balls in it. There is a possiblity one of these may be more visible, but I'm not sure as Erismus' probably is the brightest

The ball is sized correctly IMO when players in touchline view play near the bottom of the screen but when they play in the far side of the field the ball becomes microscopic.

When I am in a real stadium I can see the ball even if it is quite far from me but within the pitch of FM I can't see it or I see it in a microscopic shape.

I assume that I need a eye health check but this issue happens to me only in FM....

Yes if you google fm13 + ball size there is a mod/patch thingy that changes the colour so you can see it more readily.

Yes if you google fm13 + ball size there is a mod/patch thingy that changes the colour so you can see it more readily.

I have already successfully applied these third parties ball colors mods, they work, but they do not increase the size of the ball :(

There is clearly an awful lot of anger from the people who have bought the game and are finding it unplayable.... I can also see where the mods are coming from, by fire fighting this issue only to be told its not good enough....

In my opinion i think what people are looking for is SI to come out and say sorry its broken were trying to fix it please bare with us.... (this may have already happened if so i fair doos)

Throughout the history of FM it has been a constant battle to try to get the game to interpret what you would love ideally to just be able to say (i.e Bloody keep hold of the ball) which luckily we now have in the Retain possession shout.

I too (as previously posted) have found that old tactics have not worked as they clearly were exploiting the ME from 2012. Not i dont think by design, but because we had to make certain concessions with the sliders etc in order to make a tactic work or to stop the AI exploiting ME weaknesses..

Naturally as the ME becomes more and more realistic that will suit some and not others... Again i have now found tactics that work in ME2013. Does this mean im now a tactical genius? or once again have i just found a way to exploit the match engine....? how are we supposed to know..??

Irrespective of winning are losing there are now obvious faults with the ME, im certain SI are working incredibly hard to try to resolve them also...

I think 99% of these errors have been reported now, so should be rectified in the next patch. Which hopefully will arrive sooner than xmas as planned.

After my initial anger/disappointment, which was totally related to how much i was looking forward to the release. im now trying to be much more pragmatic, there are some massive positives in the release for sure..

I quick note to the mods, im Certain your fed up with hearing people complain, but please remember that these people (or at least the majority of them) are fed up with having to complain year after year when a new release is made.. Its frustrating for us all.

Thanks

James

Archived