Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

New patch is decent. However I am having TOO many injuries which is making the game just about unplayable.

Also, I have noticed I am conceding around about 60% of my goals through player errors. I know they happen IRL but I am conceding nearly one in every two games.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I often think this and this year is no different. I dont think the commentary Only and 2d are linked. Its as if you can get one result using the 2d and a different one if you use commentary.

The likelyhood of a goal being scored seems much higher with commentary than with 2d. I never see early or late goals on 2d, Its almost every game on commentary. Whoever were caught napping there.. They dont get caught napping if you babysit the 2d..

Yeah, I know, before you say it.. theres some obvious user error explanation.. tactics or just plain in my head reason for it all as per everything that happens far too often to be coincedence is explained away.. :)

I still find it strange how pressing the tactics button on some FMs consistantly leads to an instant goal, yet I dont see it at all on this one.. But when I go back to old ones it happens again..Yet that was also in my head..

It doesn't happen every time, but it happened enough for me to take notice and learn to always pause the match before going to tactics. Funny how it has never happened since I started pausing. :)

Born2killzone and pigfacemonkeyman. What nonsense!

The only bit of truth is that it doesn't happen since you pause, seeing as the game is paused (which im guessing was tongue in cheek?). 100% simply remembering the instances to suit your point and forgetting the rest.

Did anyone ever see that Derren Brown episode where he made David Tennant and a few others do random tasks to try and raise a counter they had no control over? Was based on another experiment where a guy got a pigeon to walk in backwards circles round its cage by randomly giving it food and making it think it had earned it.

This is what you remind me of.

New patch is decent. However I am having TOO many injuries which is making the game just about unplayable.

Also, I have noticed I am conceding around about 60% of my goals through player errors. I know they happen IRL but I am conceding nearly one in every two games.

To be fair aren't most goals conceded this way?

If you think about it, conceding at a corner is player error. Defenders not marking properly, losing their men etc. All errors. You could analyse any game of football and almost all goals are the result of an error. Gary Neville on a Monday night talk about it, always point out what the defenders should have done, what the goal keeper should have done. Players cannot be on their game 100% of the time, it's simply impossible.

The fact this game represents this so well is what makes it great.

Born2killzone and pigfacemonkeyman. What nonsense!

The only bit of truth is that it doesn't happen since you pause, seeing as the game is paused. 100% simply remembering the instances to suit your point and forgetting the rest.

Did anyone ever see that Derren Brown episode where he made David Tennant and a few others do random tasks to try and raise a counter they had no control over? Was based on another experiment where a guy got a pigeon to walk in backwards circles round its cage by randomly giving it food and making it think it had earned it.

This is what you remind me of.

Now now, don't be so hasty. It's a well known fact that you're more likely to score penalties if you jab their keeper with the mouse pointer.

:lol: Never mind.

The ME has some things that need tweaking but it's not as bad as people are making out.

From what I have seen:-

- Through balls need toning down a bit, both in success and numbers attempted.

- Tackling, particularly sliding needs toning down a bit, both in success and numbers attempted.

- Wide play needs looking at, high pace/dribbling wingers are very successful, cross success probably needs reducing and the goals/attempts where players dribble along the byeline beating players then shoot from a tight angle needs looking at.

- Own goal numbers seem high to me, might be related to the sliding/tackling.

- Woodwork is being hit too often I reckon.

- Striker finishing is a bit off, some bad misses from easy chances.

- Shot count is too low, but SI already stated they reckoned it would be.

- There are some known bugs that need fixing like the striker who is one v one turning and passing away from goal.

All tweaks for me though, there is nothing drastically wrong just some values need upping or lowering.

People need to stop blaming the ME for everything. In IRL Players make mistakes, managers make errors, some players can be unplayable at times, good teams lose when they shouldn't.

Rule out your tactics before screaming 'bug!'. Use the TC, don't touch the sliders, recognise your player weaknesses, find a formation that fits and choose a mentality lower than you might think you should choose. Also set up some custom shouts.

For those suffering loads of injuries:-

- Are you pressing lots? and tackling hard? I use the 'stay on feet' shout, and I'm not suffering many injuries.

- What sort of injuries are you suffering? Collision related ones or strains and pulls?

- What are your training levels? Remember there is individual training and team training, your workloads might be too high, have you got some rest days assigned?

Anyone else has insane ratings of centre backs? In my save, best rated players are defenders. If this goes on the next Golden ball will be won by Brede Hangeland.

Awards seems to be more based on reputation than ratings, so I don't think it's much of a risk. But I definitely agree about ratings; when you look at the highest rated players, most appear to be central defenders.

Can someone from SI (PaulC perhaps) confirm which of these has been implemented in FM13 "Collision Avoidance" or "Collision Detection"? I read sometime ago that it is Collision Avoidance, but wwfan mentioned Collision Detection in his "12 Point...." thread!!

Also, an explanation of what it does and what users should expect to see on the pitch would be extremely useful. (particularly as some people have posted that players are able to tackle "through" the back of another player)

Cheers

xxx

I just can't understand the negativity about the ME since the update. The only remaining issues I've noticed are a high number of slide tackles from behind that seem to be 'ok', and still more than occasionally players running along the byline trying to walk the ball into the net instead of crossing or passing.

Otherwise, I think it's absolutely fantastic. It's the most rewarding ME I can remember where I feel like I've actually made a difference in the game instead of trying random touchline shouts at random times. It's more obvious what needs changing now within a game.

I'll notice my players aren't closing down fast enough inviting pressure, or they're not sticking a foot in often enough so I shout it and you see the difference. The fact you change these things and sometimes it backfires just makes it better - at least you can see your mistakes. I'll concede a last minute equaliser and think "damn - I knew I should have dropped deeper or gone more defensive". I'll be playing a better team where I've managed to grab an equaliser then go narrow, deeper and counter attacking to try and coax the opposition into commiting men in hunt for the winner and then i'll score one instead - but sometimes the pressure will be too much and I do succumb. It's brilliant!

Just so satisfying.

I love the ME. It has errors, and I completely agree that the slide tackling from behind is one of them, but I find it more balance than ever before. I agree there are too few shots across the board. Not in my games, but there are perhaps too few in AI v AI.

What I love about this ME is that for the first time ever I can't just pick a tactic that exploits quick strikers and win every game. I've built my team up to be one of the best in the SPL, and now I go on 3 or 4 game winning streaks (just like IRL) rather than 20-25 game winning streaks. Look at the points dropped by top of the table teams IRL, in football games don't always go to plan. Only the rare incredible team has consistent results.

I love this ME, bigger concerns for me are still AI squad building and a few other things

Very much how I feel too. I'm currently fighting it out at the top of the PL with the two Manchester clubs and recently played both away.

Man City my cautious, counter-attacking strategy was ruined by conceding an own goal in the first ten minutes and then having a player get a straight red after half an hour. Man Utd that irritating thing happened very early on where my full back tracked their winger almost to the corner flag then deciding he didn't want to defend any more and backed off to allow the cross which my other full back turned into his own goal. A few minutes later an aimless through ball which should have been an easy catch for my keeper went through his hands into the goal for another own goal.

I could have allowed those to provoke a "toys out of pram" situation and re-load and/or come on here raging about bugs, but this time I decided to treat them as "unlucky things which happen in football" an dplay on properly. (Not to say I've never in the past re-loaded when things go against me, but this time I took it on the chin.)

Couldn't do anything to salvage the City game and was pleased to get away with a 2-0 defeat, but in the Utd game I switched a few things around, subbed off my worst performing players and somehow got back to 2-2.

A couple of matches ago City had gone on a great run of form and looked like they were going to run away with the league: then they had an injury crisis with about eight first teamers out for between 2-3 weeks and 4 months. (Injuries in general have been fine: most teams have a few, a couple of teams a lot, and a couple none or nearly none.)

I'm not saying no one else is having problems - just that my game is working as it should.

I could have allowed those to provoke a "toys out of pram" situation and come on here raging about bugs, but this time I decided to treat them as "unlucky things which happen in football" an dplay on properly.

Couldn't do anything to salvage the City game and was pleased to get away with a 2-0 defeat, but in the Utd game I switched a few things around, subbed off my worst performing players and somehow got back to 2-2.

Sound advice I wish others would follow. People too quick to shout to the rafters about things being 'unplayable' instead of concentrating on the game itself.

In my opinion i think what people are looking for is SI to come out and say sorry its broken were trying to fix it please bare with us.... (this may have already happened if so i fair doos)

Nothing so far.

I believe Miles was last seen the day before release getting into a taxi that was heading for the airport,by all accounts all he had with him was a small plastic bag with clothes in it,a small 1 man tent and a suitcase full of money.

Unconfirmed reports say he has been seen in Kuala Lumpur but nothing concrete at the moment ;)

Sound advice I wish others would follow. People too quick to shout to the rafters about things being 'unplayable' instead of concentrating on the game itself.

It's human nature and a sign of these times (unfortunately).

More and more people are used to / demanding instant satisfaction and are very critical of the things endangering the eternal sunshine of their spotless mind.

Very much how I feel too. I'm currently fighting it out at the top of the PL with the two Manchester clubs and recently played both away.

Man City my cautious, counter-attacking strategy was ruined by conceding an own goal in the first ten minutes and then having a player get a straight red after half an hour. Man Utd that irritating thing happened very early on where my full back tracked their winger almost to the corner flag then deciding he didn't want to defend any more and backed off to allow the cross which my other full back turned into his own goal. A few minutes later an aimless through ball which should have been an easy catch for my keeper went through his hands into the goal for another own goal.

I could have allowed those to provoke a "toys out of pram" situation and re-load and/or come on here raging about bugs, but this time I decided to treat them as "unlucky things which happen in football" an dplay on properly. (Not to say I've never in the past re-loaded when things go against me, but this time I took it on the chin.)

A couple of matches ago City had gone on a great run of form and looked like they were going to run away with the league: then they had an injury crisis with about eight first teamers out for between 2-3 weeks and 4 months. (Injuries in general have been fine: most teams have a few, a couple of teams a lot, and a couple none or nearly none.)

I'm not saying no one else is having problems - just that my game is working as it should.

Same story here, used wwfan's well thought out 12 step guide and i'm currently battling for 3rd with Arsenal. Starting to feel like I can relate to Arsene Wenger's struggles in real life this season. Something in the character make up of the team that just doesn't give us enough fight and consistency when we need it. I've never before had this feeling playing the game before though and I feel it's something new and remarkable. Now when you pick a team you pick up a squad with flaws, imperfections and challenges, you're no longer thrown into a virtual reality world where the world is your oyster. Previously I'd pick a team and immediately decide my ambition was to win everything, now I'll settle for champions league qualification and the time to insert some grit and a winning mentality into the team. To me, this is football. It isn't a bloody fantasy world anymore and to those demanding more realism, I have to ask what realism means to you. If it means some nobody can take a team with talent and ruin the pecking order immediately then I hope for your sake that you have the tactical know how and your fair share of luck to pull it off.

For me, a 3rd place and champions league qualification with an Arsenal side struggling to find it's identity seems like something to be proud of for a tactical rookie.

In some instances? Central defenders are not aware of anything on the pitch. Never. Pressing when they have not to and letting open field to strikers moving past them, or not doing anything just watching the striker kicking at goal. I tried every setting possible to adjust their movement. I got nothing back. No way to teach them how to play football.

I beg SI to do something and I beg them to do it soon. The game is now a "through ball from the byline to striker who scores, with DC picking up some flowers". That's all the game offers.

I was to upload a video, unfortunately the game crashed (how strange) when I tried to.

If its always happening then you will have plenty of others to upload. In terms of the crash...wow - you think its a conspiracy ;)

I don't accept such things. Once and again sure, every match? No. There should be errors in the game, but right now they are as subtle as a Michael Bay movie. More football and less lottery please.

Same story here, used wwfan's well thought out 12 step guide and i'm currently battling for 3rd with Arsenal. Starting to feel like I can relate to Arsene Wenger's struggles in real life this season. Something in the character make up of the team that just doesn't give us enough fight and consistency when we need it. I've never before had this feeling playing the game before though and I feel it's something new and remarkable. Now when you pick a team you pick up a squad with flaws, imperfections and challenges, you're no longer thrown into a virtual reality world where the world is your oyster. Previously I'd pick a team and immediately decide my ambition was to win everything, now I'll settle for champions league qualification and the time to insert some grit and a winning mentality into the team. To me, this is football. It isn't a bloody fantasy world anymore and to those demanding more realism, I have to ask what realism means to you. If it means some nobody can take a team with talent and ruin the pecking order immediately then I hope for your sake that you have the tactical know how and your fair share of luck to pull it off.

For me, a 3rd place and champions league qualification with an Arsenal side struggling to find it's identity seems like something to be proud of for a tactical rookie.

I am sorry to break your bubble but this inconsistency is universal and has nothing to do with the mental nature of Arsenal's squad in real life.

Now now, don't be so hasty. It's a well known fact that you're more likely to score penalties if you jab their keeper with the mouse pointer.

ahh but is it as well known that if you belch during the opposition's penalty run up he will miss or the kick will be saved ?

Wow. I just witnessed what the ME actually can do. And that with my team having a lone attacking forward.:)

Great passing and movement, and I made the opposition look and do just what my team have done since the update. They made meaningless through balls, and looked static, while my team passed and moved the ball delightfully. My CMd was on fire, bossing the midfield and there were some lovely combinations up front.

I have torn my hair out the last couple of days, but right now am I really curious to see if this ME can produce more of that lovely football.

Gone from very pessimistic to slightly optimistic.

I think that many really don't realize how big an impact collision detection has made both for SI in terms of tweaking the engine to produce realistic stats as well as the users trying to make their side create chances. This was clear to me as soon as I saw how many people claimed the thing to be not immediately noticeable. That is because many people mainly follow the ball and ball carrier throughout most of the match. You have to fire up FM 2012 or previous to really see how big a difference this change makes: If you follow the movement of players rather than the ball carrier and his opposition, you'll see players running straight through both their team mates as well as opposition players. All the bloody time. It's happening so frequently you'll feel dumb if you hadn't noticed before.

This happens so frequently you'll realize just by closely watching a few minutes of old ME play how big an impact this has on the game if this isn't the case anymore. Keepers pass straight through their defenders to secure their goal, sides pushing up after regaining possession pass straight through multiple opposition players whilst moving forward. Space has become a ressource that needs to be fought harder for than it has ever been the case. As a result, you'll also see one-dimensional runners like Agbonlahor actually struggling to get a hold of such space rather than running straight through their marker and leaving them frequently out in the cold no matter what.

So... about the marking. Anyone?!

ahh but is it as well known that if you belch during the opposition's penalty run up he will miss or the kick will be saved ?

That's far too holistic an approach. You should be pausing the match during his run up to put him off, and then shake the FM window around to try and make the ball bobble before he kicks it.

That's far too holistic an approach. You should be pausing the match during his run up to put him off, and then shake the FM window around to try and make the ball bobble before he kicks it.
I occasionally miss penalty kicks. It must be that the ME knows I am a human manager and therefore allows the AI to use this trick on me

I am sorry to break your bubble but this inconsistency is universal and has nothing to do with the mental nature of Arsenal's squad in real life.

A difference of opinion doesn't break my bubble mate, I'll wait to see how my second season goes with some new signings which I think will lend the team more consistency.

If I fare better this season then mission accomplished IMO.

I would love someone to explain to me how the injuries are tactics related whereby before this patch I had no injuries and now I am constantly getting injuries every match. They are all match related and range from strains and pulls to broken arm, foot, sore neck.

I have infact reduced my training intensity to average to try to curb this but to no avail. Point is, with injuries in matches you cannot link them to training when they are starting out the match 100% fit and secondly, it cannot be tactic related when I am using exactly the same tactic pre 13.0.3 whereby I hardly had any injuries. An explanation would be appreciated.

I believe there's a "Win every match" button in the next patch :thup:
sure thing pall

ME is perfect and there are no bugs,, its all about tactics right

They way I'd do it (if I could) :(

- First I create a match engine where ManUtd beat QPR 100% of the times;

- Then I create a match engine where ManUtd + a decent tactic beat QPR 100% of the times;

- Then I'll add the cherries on the cake (home/away, motivation, fitness, match preparation, casual mistakes, tactical surprises...).

It seems to me that at the moment the cherries are bigger than the cake.

The increase in injuries are result of the changes to the ME of course, but not directly.. it's a case of 'what worked in the previous patch, won't work now'...

because of collision detection and defensive improvements, injuries are more likely, sure, but an be countered by not being to aggressive in training or using aggressive tactics.

They way I'd do it (if I could) :(

- First I create a match engine where ManUtd beat QPR 100% of the times;

- Then I create a match engine where ManUtd + a decent tactic beat QPR 100% of the times;

- Then I'll add the cherries on the cake (home/away, motivation, fitness, match preparation, casual mistakes, tactical surprises...).

It seems to me that at the moment the cherries are bigger than the cake.

That would create chaos.. and more importantly, a boring game....

It's fundamentally flawed... what you're saying is that before conditions are even considered, it should be a definite win to one team.. and then and only then should factors like fitness etc come into it?

I would hope you can see the bias there and how that wouldn't work.

I went a season unbeaten with Leeds on this patch.... your theory of universal inconsistency is plain old wrong... universal inconsistency in your own isolated case may be true though.

it cannot be tactic related when I am using exactly the same tactic pre 13.0.3 whereby I hardly had any injuries. An explanation would be appreciated.

Actually, it might be.

Pressing and tackling was changed in the patch. The result is that your players are covering more distance and making more tackles, which increases the chance of injuries. Try playing with lower press for a while and see if there is a difference.

The increase in injuries are result of the changes to the ME of course, but not directly.. it's a case of 'what worked in the previous patch, won't work now'...

because of collision detection and defensive improvements, injuries are more likely, sure, but an be countered by not being to aggressive in training or using aggressive tactics.

A few things I would like to bring up.

1) You say things that worked in previous patch won't work in this match because of collision detection and defensive improvements. Well what has exactly changed which has resulted in my players now breaking there arms and feet?

2) What has changed in this patch from the previous patch that now makes the same settings in training and tactical approach drastically increasing the chances of injury to my players on the pitch?

3) I have a total of 8 first team players now out injured and have my star striker out now for 4-5 months with a broken foot. He is set to poacher, no aggressive instructions are set for him, so why has he and another 2 strikers all been injured? (I play a lone striker)

I have noticed a much higher amount of tackling taking place in this patch and it is far too unrealistic with the numbers that are being produced so I could take this into account except that I do not seem to be injuring any of the opposition. Something is seriously wrong and it's NOT tactical/training related.

Actually, it might be.

Pressing and tackling was changed in the patch. The result is that your players are covering more distance and making more tackles, which increases the chance of injuries. Try playing with lower press for a while and see if there is a difference.

I will give that a go but it still does not explain why when I am playing a lone striker (poacher) in which he has no closing down and no aggressive tackling instructions should therefore 3 of my 5 strikers be injured including my star striker who is out for 4-5 months with a broken foot.

Any suggestions if you do not think it's a problem with the ME?

If its always happening then you will have plenty of others to upload. In terms of the crash...wow - you think its a conspiracy ;)

Indeed. Wanna see some others maybe? :)

On the last line, you missed the point. But nevermind eh? :)

Does anyone know if you can set tacking on specific players to hard yet? Couldn't pre 13.1.3 as you were guaranteed a red card. My assistant manager is always recommending I set hard tacking to the opposition and I have to keep changing it. Wondered if it was safe to do this with 13.1.2

Does anyone know if you can set tacking on specific players to hard yet? Couldn't pre 13.1.3 as you were guaranteed a red card. My assistant manager is always recommending I set hard tacking to the opposition and I have to keep changing it. Wondered if it was safe to do this with 13.1.2
Come on now! Age-old enemy of the forums, hyperbole, comes out again. I often use it without a red card, before and after the patch. In games where there is no-one I want to individually focus on, I still sometimes get red cards, before and after the patch. If anything it will be more likely now, but I don't think it is the end of the world. I always have my team setting to hard tackling anyhow, not too many reds.

Detailed analysis of how some of my players were injured during the match.

Player		Position	Injury			Time Frame	How Injury Occured
Pearson		CM Support	fractured arm 		4-5 weeks.	Injured before contact made
Baldock		Poacher		broken foot. 		4-5 months.	Injured by what looks like a fair tackle.
Davies		Winger		Broken collar bone. 	8 weeks.	Injured whilst tackling the stationary player. Ball was on the floor, no chance to break collarbone in this manner.
Diaz		Striker		Pulled Hamstring. 	3 weeks.	Injured whilst holding the ball up and then opponent tackles him.

I would love to know how training, or pressing tactics etc would attribute to this injuries. The only valid one seems to be the Broken foot but the tackle does not look aggressive and would a player really be out for 4-5 months with a broken foot? It is well documented that the standard time out injured with a broken foot is 2 months, although Michael Owen was out injured for 4 months, but as we well know, Owen is injury prone and does not recover quickly from injuries.

Read about injuries here: http://soccerlens.com/football-injuries/16170/

So please for those of you that are stating it's the training or tactics, please let's try to deal with these said injuries and find out what could of caused them.

1) How can you injure your hamstring when in a stationary position from a tackle?

2) How can you injure your collar-bone whilst tackling a stationary player?

3) How can you fracture your arm before contact has even been made?

- Fixed a bug where the keeper fails to catch a ball if it has just hit the crossbar/post

In terms of bugs, this was the only one that I had noticed. Still a few too many hitting the post but overall a nice efffort from SI.

And one way to find out is try the tactical things that have been suggested to see if it makes any difference.

Another way is for you to try to explain how this injuries could possibly be assigned to the player when they occured in this manner. I have just taken the time out to bother to go through the matches to see how they were actually injured frame by frame so the least I would expect from you would be to offer some explanations rather than just say try to change your tactics! Like I said, it was perfectly fine before this latest patch and training and these players do not even have aggressive settings. Don't cop-out here Ackter.

Another way is for you to try to explain how this injuries could possibly be assigned to the player when they occured in this manner. I have just taken the time out to bother to go through the matches to see how they were actually injured frame by frame so the least I would expect from you would be to offer some explanations rather than just say try to change your tactics! Like I said, it was perfectly fine before this latest patch and training and these players do not even have aggressive settings. Don't cop-out here Ackter.

And the latest patch changed a few things which mean that players will be tackled more, are tackling more, are pressing more and just generally running around more.

This means their conditions will be lower on average than pre-patch.

This means they'll be more susceptible to injury than pre-patch.

It doesn't matter how the actual injury occurred, that's missing the point entirely.

And the latest patch changed a few things which mean that players will be tackled more, are tackling more, are pressing more and just generally running around more.

This means their conditions will be lower on average than pre-patch.

This means they'll be more susceptible to injury than pre-patch.

It doesn't matter how the actual injury occurred, that's missing the point entirely.

It doesn't matter how the actual injury occurred, that's missing the point entirely. Really?

So the fact that a player flashes up as being injured before a situation has even taken place would not point towards a ME flaw?

A player receiving a pulled hamstring injury whilst standing still and via tackle is not suspicious? You CANNOT injure your hamstring in this manner. Again this points towards ME flaw.

Also how do you explain the collar-bone injury? How the hell can he injure his collarbone attempting to tackle a player who is standing still?

I played football for many years and damaged my collarbone and pulled my hamstring several times. Never did I see a player go down with a hamstring injury whilst standing still and nor have I ever seen someone go off with a damaged collarbone from trying to attempt a tackle on a player standing still.

Sorry but it's clear to see that the ME has decided that it will assign a random injury to a player.

Archived