Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

Is the number of tackles very high on this patch? I've gone through the statistics from a couple of games I've played were I reacted on the amount of tackles being made (I watch the whole games). Both game I opted for a rather cautious approach, being underdog.

Game one, Sunderland-Swansea:

Stephen Kelly (DR): Made 9 tackles, won 9

Wes Brown (DMC): Made 8 tackles, won 8

David Vaughan (DMC): Made 10 tackles, won 8

Jack Colback (DMC): Made 9 tackles, won 9

Stephen Fletcher (SC): Made 6 tackles, won 5

Sessegnong (AMC): Made 9 tackles, won 5

My own players did not hold back either with Neil Taylor making 17(!) tackles, winning 14. One of my MC's made 12 tackles.

Game two, Swansea-Manchester United:

Another game with a quite high number of tackles. Vidic made 12, Fletcher made 14, and Marek Hamsik made 11. My players generally had a lover number, but Rangel made 10 and Ekdal made 12.

A lot of the tackles made in both games were sliding tackles.

In a third match against a weaker opposition Danny Graham (SC) made 15 tackles.

Anybody else experiencing this? I'm not sure what average tackeling for a player in the PL is, but an average of 5-6 tackles a game? My left back Neil Taylor averages 9 tackles a game at the moment. This would probably change as it's early in the season, and would probably drop a bit. Hopefully :)

Yes, the number of tackles are too high in this patch.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cannot remember one player being sent off this season for elbowing someone. I've had two players do it in three games. And that's normal?

Players are sent off for elbowing fairly regularly IRL. You're making an issue of something that really isn't an issue.

Ask yourself this question. In these three games, had the opposition had a player sent off in two of them for elbowing, would you even have batted an eyelid?

Players are sent off for elbowing fairly regularly IRL. You're making an issue of something that really isn't an issue.

Ask yourself this question. In these three games, had the opposition had a player sent off in two of them for elbowing, would you even have batted an eyelid?

You're right, no issue. It's normal for a team to have a player sent off twice in a week for elbowing the opposition.

Is the number of tackles very high on this patch? I've gone through the statistics from a couple of games I've played were I reacted on the amount of tackles being made (I watch the whole games). Both game I opted for a rather cautious approach, being underdog.

Game one, Sunderland-Swansea:

Stephen Kelly (DR): Made 9 tackles, won 9

Wes Brown (DMC): Made 8 tackles, won 8

David Vaughan (DMC): Made 10 tackles, won 8

Jack Colback (DMC): Made 9 tackles, won 9

Stephen Fletcher (SC): Made 6 tackles, won 5

Sessegnong (AMC): Made 9 tackles, won 5

My own players did not hold back either with Neil Taylor making 17(!) tackles, winning 14. One of my MC's made 12 tackles.

Game two, Swansea-Manchester United:

Another game with a quite high number of tackles. Vidic made 12, Fletcher made 14, and Marek Hamsik made 11. My players generally had a lover number, but Rangel made 10 and Ekdal made 12.

A lot of the tackles made in both games were sliding tackles.

In a third match against a weaker opposition Danny Graham (SC) made 15 tackles.

Anybody else experiencing this? I'm not sure what average tackeling for a player in the PL is, but an average of 5-6 tackles a game? My left back Neil Taylor averages 9 tackles a game at the moment. This would probably change as it's early in the season, and would probably drop a bit. Hopefully :)

Last season Koscielny had one of the highest average tackles attempted per game for a central defender and that was 2.6 tackles per match. Highest midfielders last season were attempting around 4 tackles per match. Currently they are way too high in this patch.

Last one. Why don't goalkeepers dive at the feet of players anymore? This isn't the first time either. I don't want to see like I'm complaining all the time. I'm enjoying the game, just when things like this happens, it's irritating as I at least expect him to dive at the attackers feet.

[video=youtube;ACyoT97b7l8]

You're right, no issue. It's normal for a team to have a player sent off twice in a week for elbowing the opposition.

It's perhaps not normal per se, but it's not impossible either.

One season watching my team IRL, I saw an opposition player red-carded every week for the first seven games of the season. I'd never saw that before, or indeed since, but it happened. These kind of quirks happen in football all the time.

Now, if your player or players are continually sent off for the same offence for weeks on end, THEN there's an issue. Twice? Nah sorry, not having it.

Had a nothing game in the European cup so played a 17 year old from the youth side. He got injured (unsurprisingly) and now during my press conference I'm being asked daft questions like: ""Losing Elvis Opoku will be a big blow to your side, how will you cope?" and "Who are you considering as a replacement for Elvis Opoku?"

These are darft questions. He is in my youth, he made his debut, he is 17 years old and I have plenty of cover. Is this a known bug or should I raise it?

Had a nothing game in the European cup so played a 17 year old from the youth side. He got injured (unsurprisingly) and now during my press conference I'm being asked daft questions like: ""Losing Elvis Opoku will be a big blow to your side, how will you cope?" and "Who are you considering as a replacement for Elvis Opoku?"

These are darft questions. He is in my youth, he made his debut, he is 17 years old and I have plenty of cover. Is this a known bug or should I raise it?

Raise it anyway. Can never have too many examples to work with.

Re your sending offs: Its not normal, but its not necessarily an issue. Freak things can happen. If it was happening on a semi regular basis, then it would be more of a game issue.

Last one. Why don't goalkeepers dive at the feet of players anymore? This isn't the first time either. I don't want to see like I'm complaining all the time. I'm enjoying the game, just when things like this happens, it's irritating as I at least expect him to dive at the attackers feet.

(video)

Does your keeper lack bravery or one-on-ones maybe?

I've noticed back on FM12 Sczeszny would be a lot more eager to dive into the opponents forwards feet than any other keeper I had in my career, and presumed it was because of his high bravery.

Doesn't mean this might not be an issue though, worth keeping an eye on it.

Does your keeper lack bravery or one-on-ones maybe?

I've noticed back on FM12 Sczeszny would be a lot more eager to dive into the opponents forwards feet than any other keeper I had in my career, and presumed it was because of his high bravery.

Doesn't mean this might not be an issue though, worth keeping an eye on it.

I've just checked this and his bravery is 15 so shouldn't be that. It happened with the opposition too, my striker was 1-on-1 and the keeper ran up to him but didn't make an attempt to tackle and my striker just slotted it home.

Does anyone know if you can set tacking on specific players to hard yet? Couldn't pre 13.1.3 as you were guaranteed a red card. My assistant manager is always recommending I set hard tacking to the opposition and I have to keep changing it. Wondered if it was safe to do this with 13.1.2

I'd be more inclined to ignore the assman's advice.

Thats like a collection of the worst defending and terrible misses!

This happen this year, day one of the portuguese league, between Benfica and Braga (two top teams in Portugal).

Now, imagine if this happen in a FM game. Everybody would say that the ME was broken. But the truth is... stuff like that happen every game... all around the world.

[video=youtube;ACyoT97b7l8]

I agree, I'd like to have seen the keeper come out and try to win/block that.

I also see you were undone by that very wide through ball.

I've just checked this and his bravery is 15 so shouldn't be that. It happened with the opposition too, my striker was 1-on-1 and the keeper ran up to him but didn't make an attempt to tackle and my striker just slotted it home.

Yeah fair enough may even be a oldschool bug, worth checking out for more instances of this.

Really preferred the last update by miles, it was one of my favourite FM experiences, team was set up and playing just as I wanted nothing out of the ordinary occurring regularly and just the whole game seemed balanced. With this last update as plenty of other people uploading videos have shown, weird goals occur very often, silly own goals, unnatural actions and all the rest. My team has gone from playing attacking attractive football to rarely making it to more than 8 shots on target, I'm still having reasonable success but the style of football has been turned upside down. It really seems the majority of goals are not coming from good play or finishes but errors. Hopefully the next update will be a lot more like .2 than .3 from my point of view.

Yep. Wasn't a great goal to concede.

Aye, I concede very few goals, but they mainly seem to be that kind of wide throughball, where my defender kind of jogs on the spot then reacts too late, even though he is usually in a better position to win it. Actually that reminds me to upload it to the bugs sections. De Gea then did the same thing as your keeper.

What the hell has happened to the ME? Seems to have taken an astounding step back.

1) Why does it seem to be played on ice? The ball travels way too far and fast for the simplest of passes, and the players seem to skid around like marbles on an ice rank so if a pass isn't spot on it whizzes past a player. Seen so many stupidly ridiculous passages of play because of this already.

2) Why can players not close down? The amount of times a player should be making the minimal effort to cover a bit of space and it isn't done. Players in acres of space in the middle of the park moving away from the ball and allowing the AI from 15 yards further away come and get it, your back 4 letting players waltz through them. (And it's nothing to do with OI instructions, it's clearly just built into the ME)

3) Collisions, the amount of times a ball laughably bounces around or off players.

It honestly represents the laughable nature of the very first visible ME back in 2006 or whenever it was. Very close to going back to '12. Watching games in '13 is excruciating.

Aye, I concede very few goals, but they mainly seem to be that kind of wide throughball, where my defender kind of jogs on the spot then reacts too late, even though he is usually in a better position to win it. Actually that reminds me to upload it to the bugs sections. De Gea then did the same thing as your keeper.

Same mate. But a lot of my goals are coming like this too. If you can't beat them, join them.

This is very true, which makes me think that its a bug, as its happening to both sides

Well what ever you do, don't raise it as one. It's my most effective way of scoring. Wide Midfielder, sits deep and invites opposition FB, crosses from deep to my advanced forward and he is through on goal.

Thats like a collection of the worst defending and terrible misses!

I see your collection, and I raise you mine.

[video=youtube;SbXPfAusRrA]

And before anyone starts, yes I know it was my tactics and this could happen in real life and I'm sure YouTube has an example of one goalkeeper one time doing the same. I'm not showing this as a bug, more as sone light hearted relief on this Tuesday evening of weird goals.

Well my closing down was reduced to 0 for my poacher ( I had increased it slightly to own area) and had reduced closing down for my Ball Winning MC and my winger. I just played Charlton and had 3 players injured! 2 strikers (I'm playing a lone striker poacher) so it's non-aggressive and I had my Ball Winning MC injured! I'm sorry but this is a complete joke! I now only have 1 fit striker out of 5. Before you state that the players are covering more distance, well, Diaz got injured after only 6 mins and all players had at least 98% condition and were all completely match fit!

touche lol. but 5 OG's conceded, 1 OG for...two OG's in one match against Bayern. This is ridiculous.

Do you have many players on "hard" tacking? This could make your players too eager to clear the ball... which may result in some bad tackling and own goals.

Love the new platform of the match engine this year. Simply amazing, kudos to SI. This particular patch is far better than 13.1.2 but sadly, the high amount of injuries made me simply stop until there is some sort of fix. I understand that the tackling and injury problem have been listed before in this thread and that they are linked.

Some Observations

- Low STR players get injured constantly by hard tackles.

I have 2 saves, neither of which had serious injury problems before. Now Cazorla has been injured 7 times in one season with most injuries over 2 weeks and collision related. He also never finished a match due to tackles / slight injuries lowering his condition and me subbing him out. Ramsey, Walcott, Gibbs, and Arteta also suffered many injuries. The crux is that I also pressed a lot. Not hard tackling mind, just press. I had training with one rest day after matches with heavy listed for each player - Average on general training and average on individual without positions or PPM training. So I started a new save that did not involve heavy pressing and I planned to use low general training with rest days before/after matches so that training was on medium for each.

The Dortmund save had similar injury problems even though I rarely played wide up tempo style; instead I played a counter based system that tried to maintain shape over pressure. I found that all my low STR players constantly were either injured or had their conditions reduced too low to keep in the game because of hard tackles. This usually happened if my opponent was using an attack based up-tempo pressing and hard tackling strategy. Gotze, Reus, Gundogan, Perisic, Leitner, and all my wingers and fullbacks with low STR spent a ton of time injured. I ended up simply stopping the save for now due to 13 people being injured at one time.

- Centerback tackling/ratings are very high

Its been said before here and I saw the same things. A centerback won the player of the week/month award multiple times in multiple leagues during the 3/4 of a season I played on the Dortmund save. My CBs are averaging 7.8-ish ratings now.

I realize this is just a game, and I realize the work and effort placed into this game by the company but it is very frustrating to have seasons turn on tackling/injury problems and be forced to wait until some sort of fix is released. I hope there is something soon. Also, wwfan - I've read your posts for years and years and just lurked but I'd like to say that people like you and Cleon inspired me to take my FM seriously and upped my enjoyment immensely and your efforts are appreciated beyond just the people you directly interact with.

Do you have many players on "hard" tacking? This could make your players too eager to clear the ball... which may result in some bad tackling and own goals.

really?

Dear God,Really?

"Okay guys I want you to tackle hard today"..and that makes them score own goals?

Also the guy also pointed out the opposing team is doing the same.

This is getting funnier by the post,many players are posting about own goals and yet some people still feel the need to blame the player tactics..it begs belief.

Maybe PaulC or one of the guys at SI can tell us what we can use?

So far we have been told..

Do not use pressing as that is what is causing the injuries.

Do not use the sliders as they are basically useless.

Do not use hard tackling as it appears they are causing own goals.

We are told the game was ready for release so can you maybe fill me in on what is working and what is not?

I mean what should a player use at this present time?

There are so many mixed posts,1 time the game is fine and the next do not use the sliders,these are coming from people that work at or are employed by SI,I mean what is going on here?

really?

Dear God,Really?

"Okay guys I want you to tackle hard today"..and that makes them score own goals?

Also the guy also pointed out the opposing team is doing the same.

This is getting funnier by the post,many players are posting about own goals and yet some people still feel the need to blame the player tactics..it begs belief.

Look, if you dont agree that may be a relation between hard tackling and the increase of own goals, fine... that's your view and i respect.

For me, it makes sense.

I believe that in the game "hard tackling" is not about trying to break the opponent legs, but trying to reach that ball at any cost... and sometimes... this could lead to mistakes.

Look, if you dont agree that may be a relation between hard tackling and the increase of own goals, fine... that's your view and i respect.

For me, it makes sense.

I believe that in the game "hard tackling" is not about trying to break the opponent legs, but trying to reach that ball at any cost... and sometimes... this could lead to mistakes.

That is fine,I don't agree,I have played the game for years and used hard tackling and never seen this amount of own goals.

I have also seen a lot of teams in real life use hard tackling and did not mean they scored own goals...man can you even say that to yourself with a straight face?

Anyway I have posted since then as I am a bit tired of hearing all you weekend warriors tell us what we are doing wrong with the game we have played for years.

Anyway I have posted since then as I am a bit tired of hearing all you weekend warriors tell us what we are doing wrong with the game we have played for years.

If you play the game for years, and still have so many issues with it... then i must tell....you know nothing about the game, and learn nothing through the years.

The fact that in previous version you could play with high pressing and hard tackling and that had no effect in your players and the game doesn't make it right, it simple means that it was something in the game that was wrong.

i believe the tackling level is not about the actualy physicalness of the tacking but rather the likelines to perform a sliding tackle.

Hard would mean a player will try a sliding tackle even if it was only a 10-20% chance of winning the ball.

Default would be say 50-60 chance and soft would be say 70-80% chance.

i actually experimented with this and noticed that if i had my tackling set to hard, alot of mistakes would occur as my player would go for a slide tackle, miss, then attackers woud be clear on goal.

When i reduced this to default, my defense would stay on their feet more and force more mistakes from the attacking players.

If you play the game for years, and still have so many issues with it... then i must tell....you know nothing about the game, and learn nothing through the years.

The fact that in previous version you could play with high pressing and hard tackling and that had no effect in your players and the game doesn't make it right, it simple means that it was something in the game that was wrong.

Yet again if I was successful I was exploiting the ME.

Yet again more insults.

Yet again I never said I always played high pressing with hard tackling but it seems easier for the other poster to make this up.

Why you guys feel the need to tear apart a post to make an argument baffles me,why don't you go play FM instead of this petty nonsense?

So with the current patch, playing aggessively with high pressing is not recommended as it leads to a lot of injuries. Therefore you don't play with these options. But this is "playing the ME" and not "thinking logically" about tactics.

Is this thread not offering contradictary advice?

Not at all that I can see:

Point 1: If you don't know what you're doing, or just want to keep your sanity, use the TC to create tactics, and keep them internally consistent (using wwfan's 12 step guide or other guides).

Point 2: If you are having lots of injuries, try adjusting your tactics to be less risky, which has been shown to help.

You can achieve #2 without leaving the confines of the TC system or "sound tactics". But if you decide to adjust settings beyond the TC then you are only leaving the guidelines behind, you aren't breaking a rule or something.

Trying to catch out Ackter or wwfan in some sort of contradiction is silly. They're both just trying to help people address issues and the solutions they offer are viable. FM is an immensely complicated set of variables so that it is entirely possible that good advice to one person will contradict good advice to another (not saying this is the case here though) because the situations are different. For wwfan it is important that the tactic is internally sensible with a balance of roles and responsibilities as outlined in the TC. It is only advice, not a rule for all time.

Personally I see nothing wrong with "Playing the ME" as it were. It is a computer game and unless your tactic addresses the ME it won't matter how realistic it seems on the outside. I believe it is still possible to create tactics that in some ways are beyond the scope of the TC yet are either (or both) realistic or successful. You can arrive at your tactics by applying real football logic or by applying FM football logic or through trial and error. It doesn't have to be one thing or the other. But I do agree strongly with wwfan in that if you want a functional system that isn't doomed to failure before a ball is kicked, you'll have more easy success starting with the TC than through either of the other methods. Which brings me back to the previous point. wwfan is offering guidelines and a way of thinking about the game. You don't have to follow them, even to arrive at the same conclusions! But they are helpful guidelines if you do follow them.

Point 1: If you don't know what you're doing, or just want to keep your sanity, use the TC to create tactics, and keep them internally consistent (using wwfan's 12 step guide or other guides).

Point 2: If you are having lots of injuries, try adjusting your tactics to be less risky, which has been shown to help.

You can achieve #2 without leaving the confines of the TC system or "sound tactics". But if you decide to adjust settings beyond the TC then you are only leaving the guidelines behind, you aren't breaking a rule or something.

Trying to catch out Ackter or wwfan in some sort of contradiction is silly. They're both just trying to help people address issues and the solutions they offer are viable. FM is an immensely complicated set of variables so that it is entirely possible that good advice to one person will contradict good advice to another (not saying this is the case here though) because the situations are different. For wwfan it is important that the tactic is internally sensible with a balance of roles and responsibilities as outlined in the TC. It is only advice, not a rule for all time.

Personally I see nothing wrong with "Playing the ME" as it were. It is a computer game and unless your tactic addresses the ME it won't matter how realistic it seems on the outside. I believe it is still possible to create tactics that in some ways are beyond the scope of the TC yet are either (or both) realistic or successful. You can arrive at your tactics by applying real football logic or by applying FM football logic or through trial and error. It doesn't have to be one thing or the other. But I do agree strongly with wwfan in that if you want a functional system that isn't doomed to failure before a ball is kicked, you'll have more easy success starting with the TC than through either of the other methods. Which brings me back to the previous point. wwfan is offering guidelines and a way of thinking about the game. You don't have to follow them, even to arrive at the same conclusions! But they are helpful guidelines if you do follow them.

The bold is spot on, its advice, not a hard and fast rule, they themselves have repeatedly pointed out when they give advice. Seems some people just want to twist it in an attempt to catch them out.

I am not disagreeing with either Ackter or wwfan.

I use the TC and make a few manual tweaks that I feel are tactically logical (been playiing since CM2). I'm doing OK in Belgian D3. I don't believe the match engine is fundamentally broken.

I actually rebooted FM12 last week but didn't like the look of it!. I returned to FM13 and sat back, did some tests and realised results are generally fair. There are some problems with injuries, OGs, stupid defending etc but over a season the results are pretty acceptable. The ME is nowhere near perfect but they never are (this may be worse than others though!). They usually get it right in the end.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that as Mods and knowledgable players(I'll call them experts from here on in!) most people look to them for advice. When their advice seems to contradict, as in playing logical tactics vs. playing the ME, it antagonises users. They post a problem and are told one thing. They try it and it doesn't work. They repost and are told something else.

I think a lot of the hostility in this thread stems from the "experts" offering seemingly contradictary advice.

If the experts can't agree what chance have the rest of us? A proper manual is required from SI in order that the ME is explained properly (at a user level, not the technical ins&outs!). It's not wwfan's responsibilty to what he does to help others and SI would not be as successful without the likes of him.

I think there might well be something in the injury in match complaints. I've always thought that in-match injuries in FM were too high compared to training injuries (or, at least, match ending in-match injuries). However, injuries are too low in general. Moving on.....

In the new ME, I found that for the first ten or so matches, I was having a player carried off every match. In one match, the AI team had three players carried off and finished with nine men. However, things are calming down now. I've played five straight matches with high pressing, heavy tackling and aggressive running, and have only had one in-match injury (which was a bad one). Opposition hasn't had any.

In previous FMs, new MEs were sometimes accompanied by an increase in injuries, which then settled back to normal after a couple of months. Never been any real explanation for it. I'm wondering if that is happening again.

ME is exploited more by the AI

dont see how i can compete when AI can put a cross into far post from thier first attack. while everything you do gets cleared or is some foul/offside

Is the other team not allowed to put crosses in?

The ME will only be 'exploited' more by an artificial intelligence than a human one if you let it, given you're in direct control.

I think there might well be something in the injury in match complaints. I've always thought that in-match injuries in FM were too high compared to training injuries (or, at least, match ending in-match injuries). However, injuries are too low in general. Moving on.....

In the new ME, I found that for the first ten or so matches, I was having a player carried off every match. In one match, the AI team had three players carried off and finished with nine men. However, things are calming down now. I've played five straight matches with high pressing, heavy tackling and aggressive running, and have only had one in-match injury (which was a bad one). Opposition hasn't had any.

In previous FMs, new MEs were sometimes accompanied by an increase in injuries, which then settled back to normal after a couple of months. Never been any real explanation for it. I'm wondering if that is happening again.

Interesting observations.

I counted how many players are currently injured within my Fm game in the Prem and the Championship and compared them to real life. It's the 25th Feb and the Prem has 104 injuries compared to today in real life whereby it is 92 and the Championship within my game has 103 injuries. These are exceptionally higher than what is happening in real life. I would be interested to know where you get the idea that the injuries in general are lower than in real life?

Moving on....

Within my game I had got to the last week of November season 1 when I updated to the latest patch and this is when the injuries commenced. As stated above, I am now on the 25th February a full 3 months on from when the game was updated and 19 games played since, and the injuries are getting worse. A total of 4 injuries in the last game (3 from my side) which is just beyond a joke. If you were to read my previous posts you will see that I have hardly any closing down for my lone poacher striker, I actually followed the advice given on here and reduced closing down on my midfield and wingers but still the injuries are coming. I never start players who have a condition below 95% and in this case the players were no less than 98%.

There is definitely a problem, tackling needs to be severely reduced and whatever else seems to be affecting the probability of match injuries need to be addressed asap.

PS, This is not a direct attack on you WWFAN, I actually admire your contribution on this forum and have found many things that you have posted to be very informative.

I have had half a season without Kagawa as he got injued, then injured within 2 games of his return. i havn't counted the injury count on mine, but I get a few short injuries.

and won 2 games....

conceded 1 goal in each.

first match keeper should have ball in hands from a pass, somehow doesnt and ends up being a goal.

second, INDIRECT FREE KICK - player heads ball at post, it rebounds back to thier player to score. why do defenders not mark anyone in this situation?, the guy was a good 2-3 yards closer to the net then the wall by the time he headed it in the first place.

and why do AI rebounds ALWAYS fall to thier player.

oh make that a 3rd, cross hits the post, lands at feet of opposition striker to score through a defender....

Every rebound I have is cleared...

Is anyone else experiencing centerbacks with very high ratings?

http://imageshack.us/a/img641/4329/cbratings.jpg

A picture of the Premier league player of the month - Two out of three players each month up for the award are defensive.

I've noticed them getting high ratings even when I've conceded 2-3 goals. Even if they haven't scored themselves and were definitely at fault for the goal.

Archived