Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

• SI Staff

Tonight we have released this update and in terms of the Match Engine a quick overview. I expect you to note the following:

- Pressing is more aggressive, and D-lines will step up more aggressively on extreme settings which will of course be as effective or hazardous as your players allow....

- We have improved positioning of midfielders especially when defending so its less likely that you will be able to exploit gaps on the edge of the area or take advantage of overcrowding of defending in the area

- Players are a little more willing to try riskier passes in attacking areas depending on their tendencies and instructions. So if you want to retain possession bear this in mind when using touchline instructions etc.

- Player reactions to loose balls should be a better, but there may still be the odd anomaly so please post these in the bugs forum if you see them

- You will probably see less shots in this update, and if anything its a bit low vs RL but we decided this was ok in the context of how this ME version plays

- We had no time to work on goalie distribution for this update, apologies for that it will be looked at for the next one

- There are no significant ball physics behaviour changes in this update, but I believe the ( cosmetic ) false ball rotation in 2D classic is fixed.

Below is the full ME changelist....I hope you enjoy playing it. All constructive criticism and suggestions are very welcome as there will be a further update hopefully before Xmas. Feel free to use this thread for that......

Match v1313

-----------

- Refined position of d-line and also the lines in front of it when defending

- Brought wingers a bit deeper when defending

- Weaker players more likely to favour direct passes quicker

- Improved short pass accuracy slightly

- Tried to increase number of crosses slightly

- Fine tuned shot accuracy

- Fixed some minor player on ball decision bugs

- Improved trajectory of medium length kicks like free kick shots and corners

- Made players better at offering out ball to team mate

- Tried to improve player reactions to deflected balls or tackles

- Made players more willing to slide tackle when opportunity and need arises

- Fixed some unnatural save directions from keepers

- Fixed keepers trying to save ball at wrong point when its heading for post or bar

- Made players slightly better at turning body while on the run

- Made strongest player stand ground when 2 players collide while going for a header

- Made goal celebration paths a little bit more varied

- Fixed comms saying ball well wide when not really that far wide

- Some ball physics collision tweaks

- Some team talk fixes

Match v1314

-----------

- Further tuned team shape and d-line position when defending

- AM strata now comes back to defend unless set to "all out attack"

- Made d-line shift up when opposing player with ball is successfully pressed

- Made d-line shift back quicker when attacking player is running with pace at them with the ball

- Some tweaks to marking of opponents in own area

- Fixed defenders shifting across as full back engages winger in last third causing bad shape

- Tried to reduce instances of players heading ball they could control a split second later

- Some minor fixes relating to player interception of ball

- Some refinements to off ball movement around ball player

- Some general tweaks to pass choice and on ball decision making

- Some more minor keeper save fixes

- Fixed some instances of woodwork hit not being registered

- Fixed player not waiting to getup before running off to celebrate after scoring a diving header

Match v1315

-----------

- Fixed ultra rare crash when player shoots from close range

- Further small refinements to on ball decisions and pass choice

- Improved direct free kick trajectory slightly

- Improved crossing aim AI

- Fine tuned pass and shot accuracy slightly

- Improved player reaction and awareness of ball generally

- Improved defensive tracking of player running with ball

- Slight reduction of player reaction time to fast curling balls

- Slight reduction of player reaction time when ball a long way away from them especially if not facing it

- Improved defender lateral positioning when defending wide ball

- Fixed winger not staying wide when asked to hug touchline and ball on his side in advanced position

- Goalkeeper should narrow the angle better when a play is running at him at speed

- Goalkeepers should try to move under the ball path even if they think they can't reach it.

- Fixed a bug where the keeper fails to catch a ball if it has just hit the crossbar/post

- Fixed keeper turning ball over bar described as turning it round post

- Fixed some player collision avoidance issues

- Fixed a bug where an offside is given instead of a free kick

for a foul

- Stop a rare teleport bug with goal celebrations

- Fixed animation issues whilst player argues with ref

- Fixed small anomaly in team selection AI

Match v1316

-----------

- Fixed bug causing players to occasionally react too late to pass

- Improved pressing of opponents slightly

- Made players more willing to go for a riskier interception if ball receiver is in a goalscoring position

- Tweaked keeper positioning when facing down attacker

- Reduced pointless passing slightly

- Fine tuned chance of speculative passes slightly

- Refine kick innaccuracy algorithm slightly

Match v1317

-----------

- Fixed defenders not turning quick enough when tracking player running onto through ball

- Reduced likelyhood of players making pass when in clear cut shooting position

Match v1318

-----------

- Fixed keepers not reacting to powerful close range shots

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
I cant see it listed but any chance weaker teams no longer cause as many upsets?

If there were too many upsets in the last update then that would have been knockons from other issues. It wouldnt be listed as a fix per se unless we found a clear and direct cause.

Played one game since updating... immediately conceded from a free kick. Thought, 'here we go...', but I'm actually pleased with it. No more pointless passing, my AMC actually plays through balls, players seem more responsive, and there is actually some tackling! The thing I'm most pleased about though - I'm actually scoring goals! I played one game last season (pre-patch) in which I scored more than one goal, in my first game on this one I won 4-2! Hope this continues.

One negative - I did notice that players do seem to be taking shots from daft angles, though I am playing with an amateur club so this could be down to poor decision making rather than an ME issue.

Gonna go back over and look at my tactics, to try and help defending from set pieces as I'm sure that's not an ME issue - rather my tactics, so on first impressions I'm quite pleased with it. Good job Paul & co.

2 matches in, dropped from an average of 19 shots per team per game in 15 games of season to date to an average of 8 shots per team since patch, with same tactics.

Based on your comments about patch I guess you knew this is coming, and 19 was too much anyhow. Now to work out how to change my tactics to get more shots!

Just played my first game and I have no issues with what I've seen so far. As one of the many who were reasonably happy with the ME before I wasn't looking out for any fixes in perticular but the whole thing just feels more polished. Great stuff :)

Before the patch my team of nobodies was top of the table with a permanently unchanged tactic I had put little thought into.

Since the latest patch I have lost 5 in a row, getting between 3-5 shots per match.

I guess this means it is the worst ME of all time and the game is unplayable?

sadly only the last line is a joke :(

Played a few games now, and I can't really say I've noticed any difference. I'm playing as Truro mind, so perhaps the big differences will show at the elite clubs. It does seem to be a bit smoother, but maybe that's just my imagination.

Good to see they've addressed the minor bug where the keeper's name didn't show on the tactics screen whilst in windowed mode. :D

Just had goal annulled for off side, but...

It was my left back that got tackled out the pitch. The ball got fumbled around and a player of mine was the last to touch the ball. Then my left back entered the field, took control of the ball and scored, but it got ruled out for off side. The after pictures showed that he was off side, but also off the pitch and the last defender was on the goal line.

It can't be an off side, but I don't know if it was correct to rule the goal out...

Haven't played enough to comment further on the ME.

So far, the only thing that i've notice is that my two guys in the midfield now try through balls. Apart from that, everything looks the same.

But, it's still early.

Anyway, just wanna say thks to SI and PaulC. These past weeks must been very stressful. Thks for all the help. :thup:

Before update my team was doing fine, and now I'm in the middle of the season, and have to make entire new tactic, because after an update, the old one sucks.

I very much doubt that will be the case. Probably just sheer coincidence. Remember, the AI learns your tactic and gets teams to try and counter it after a while. It can be useful to tinker a bit with your two backup tactics for a few games before going back to your old one to throw them off the scent!

Before the patch my team of nobodies was top of the table with a permanently unchanged tactic I had put little thought into.

Since the latest patch I have lost 5 in a row, getting between 3-5 shots per match.

I have to agree with you.Same thing is happening to me. Even though I used my newly created tactic before this update. My first impression of the game was "Damn, this is so easy". And after this last update, I'm like "Damn, this is impossible". I've lost last couple of matches aswell.And now, I have to make a new tactic. :/

Hopefuly I'm going to succeed in it. :D

Anyway, whole ME seems to be "polished" and it's running much more "smoother". I'm glad you "updated" it to the next level.

I'm looking forward to play it now.

Played 4 matches now and i've noticed that there are a lot less shots now.

Was easily having 20+ shots more often than not. Now it feels more "normal".

Good to see my players pressing and closing down. My defenders a bit more alert as well.

So far so good.

Non ME related but the widgets on the match screen keep moving from where you originally positioned them when you go back and forth between screens during the match, mainly oppositions match performance, moves to bottom of screen, also occasionally does this when its opened, sometimes it will disapear altogether and assistant advice, action zones widgets move around.

I reported this in the bugs section prior to release during the beta version and was told it had been fixed, when it clearly hasn't. This needs looking into as you have stated in the change list that the 'Fixed live league table widget not holding position' has been fixed but not for any of the others

I very much doubt that will be the case. Probably just sheer coincidence. Remember, the AI learns your tactic and gets teams to try and counter it after a while. It can be useful to tinker a bit with your two backup tactics for a few games before going back to your old one to throw them off the scent!

This is my 4th season as I play HSV. Last season I won everything, Bundesliga title, DFB Pokal and Europa Leauge, so it can't be coincidence. After 34 league games I was 10 points ahead of Bayern. And now my team struggle to make single shot on target. I have 3 different tactics, but this one was exceptionally good.

• Administrators
Should probably know this, but...

do I have to start a new game, or will this update find it's way into my save without having to start a fresh?

It's save game compatible although you'll have to shut the game down and relaunch for it to update. Thanks.

Archived