Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

Hey, I'll do it tomorrow if you don't mind. Need bed!

The text said "Adebayor tried to take the ball past Szczesny" and then something like "Adeybayor left Szczesny for dead before scoring". Can't remember exactly what the latter comment was, but it was something along those lines.

Seems to me that he did actually round Szczesny before scoring, it's just the visuals that aren't "not working". Maybe this is related to the complaints I've read on this forum that people have yet to see players rounding goalkeepers? I mean, it happens, we just don't get to see it!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far, after playing 5 games with the new ME, I'm still creating a lot of chances, and have a lot of possession(I have world class players playing in a familar possession based formation though), but my players are making sense(wingers are crossing in the right places, they're not running back 50 yards with the ball, there's no excessive passing on the edge of the area. So it seems to have worked. Will add more feedback if anything interesting comes up after more games.

After first game somethings i picked up on were:-

--Corners better (defenders not all following the ball, heading is more realistic)

--Noticed keeper still saves ball that is going comfortably wide

--2 Instances where you would have liked to defender close down ball after lose first touch from opposition (instead stands well off)

--Player scored and just stood there as the team mates went and celebrated (didn't move until they had finished, team mates celebrated away from him)

--Players still control the ball despite facing completely the other way to where the ball is coming (not even looking backwards)

--Passing overall is better and more meaningful (which expected due to having highly creative players with high passing

First off, thank you guys for the hard work.

Watching a friendly game right now and the match is much smoother (Arsenal vs Portland):

• Players are passing, dribbling, and looking for passes, where as before they would very much stand there with back to the person pressing them and unable to come to decision.
  • Balls are played into the box more often, through balls and crosses and therefore forcing more opportunities whereas before it had to be a really clear opportunity before someone attempt to even put the ball into the box.
  • Closing down is more aggressive, can easily see my tactic's deficiencies in terms of leaving space open.

only played two matches now. Shots are down slightly for my team it seems, and I conceded just a small amount of shots on my own goal despite leading in 2 away games. Seems to nme that my players finally find a way to use their superiority and free themselves from pressure a bit better. Clear like.

What I don'T like is that I'm still being caught too often with the bloody keeper ball over the top onto opposing striker. Conceded 3 goals and all 3 of them had this as a reason. Funnily it always happened after I took the lead and actually deployed a more defensive approach (dropping my mc mc amc midfield to mc mc dmc, use the drop deeper shout + switch from control to counter). It also was not a counter-counter attack situation. D-line positioning is still off. I'm especially noticing this when going up agains 2 up front (4-4-2). Happens a lot less often against lone forward formations.

Other than that I'll need some more testing. Will also try my high creative freedom tactics once it is fluid. with the last ME my players were doing the silliest things with high CF - went to less CF and all of a sudden team played beautiful football without changing anything else....

Player reactions look a lot better (although the long ball - defender performs forward run to let the striker get away issue still exists - not saying misjudged interceptions don'T happen, but especially for world-class defenders it happens to often (every other long ball, maybe a bit more). Don'T really see this working in my favor since I rarey have the pleasure to see my players run a counter so can'T comment whether this is maybe also partially tactics related.

Oh and I get the feeling that there is still something wrong with counter attacks - against arsenal I conceded a 4- on 2 counter (4 of my players, their winger and one striker marked by 3 of my guys). run to byline, inch perfect cross, striker control ball almost on goalline (keeper didn't even try to incercept) - tap home. Looked like before the patch.

And another one, second game y full back scored with a cross from the touchline not too far away from the half way line. I hope this is not a recurring feat. Frankly, GK reactions generally look a bit better to balls coming from in front of them, but reactions to crosses of any kind still seem pretty awful. Again, just 2 matches but so far not too impressed with goalies.

Just wanted to make a quick post to note my appreciation for several speedy patches following the release. Game developers everywhere get a lot of criticism for abandoning a game once it hits the shelves and for not interacting with the community but from what I've seen in my relatively short time here is that SI are fantastically proactive when it comes to both resolving game bugs/criticisms and also for communicating what's going on to the community. I haven't tried the game since this update but I just wanted to give credit where credit was due for the post-release support this game is receiving, it really is very refreshing to see developers so eager to improve the experience of the game and keep the community informed so kudos for that! :)

Hm not sure what to make of this, did it really need to change that drastically? I was just getting used to the last match engine! The problem with less shots is it means almost every other highlight ends up a goal and gives you less time to react, when watching the match stats if I saw a sudden increase in shots from the opposition I knew I needed to do something quickly.

I have played 2 games and 3 things stood out for me more than anything else.

Firstly, the shooting overall. More than ever i am seeing shots being hit straight at the keeper

Secondly, players are still shooting from almost impossible angles rather than putting the ball backwards towards the penalty spot or across the face of goal for players arriving late into the area. Instead they take a shot and it always just flies across the goal for a throw in. Acceptable if there is no support but not acceptable if there are plenty of players in support

Thirdly, defending against attackers dribbling down the line. Defenders now do position themselves to stop players cutting inside along the byline and passing the ball in the back of the net but now i have noticed the defenders get further and further away from the attacker the closer they get to the byline. As a result the attacker has space and time to pick out and a player arriving into the box to simply pass the ball into the back of the net

Anyone else finding these are happening to you?

So far so good for me with the new ME update. My formation has a narrow midfield diamond with width provided only by athletic wing backs. Previously this was resulting in endless pointless passing just outside the area but now it has improved immensely with the AMC now running the show, getting into the box and lots of incisive through balls.

Thanks for the update. However, I got an internet connection error during the update process, which also stopped this update.

When I tried to redo this, it began to install the update, and I got in the game afterwards. I checked the preference, which indicates the game version is 13.1.3, so it seems that I should succesfully completed the update process, but still, I am a little confused because the update process was not actually finished(according to the the progression bar bbefore the failure, I think it only just passed 1/3 of the total progression) .

so just wanna konw is there any way or link that I can download this update again and re-install it mannualy to make sure it is succesfully installed, thx a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only played a few games but so far impressions are:

Pressing much improved, my players, even forwards are now hunting in packs Barca-like and this is very impressive.

Defending of AM's is finally improved. Great to see them tracking back and helping the full backs or MC's.

Finally players are capable of through balls!!

Shots and goals are indeed down but only need to be tweaked up a little to get closer to RL numbers.

Work still definitely needed on goalkeepers, particularly their distribution and decisions. There also still appears to be a weakness to balls over the top between the CB's. I also think DM's still need to drop back between the CB's if they are set as anchors if FB/WBs push on but this is a minor for me.

The massive improvement in this ME (thanks to PaulC and team!) only highlights the deficiencies of the previous one (sorry PaulC and team). It's clear that this is a massive step nearer the 'massively improved ME' we were promised.

playing a network game with 10 players.

ME is far far more polished and realistic looking this is the game the previous version should have been imo. No doubt a few will find niggles the longer its played out. The difference post patch 13.1.3 is night and day. players tackle intercept they dont look as if they are ice scating lol. Very pleased

playing a network game with 10 players.

ME is far far more polished and realistic looking this is the game the previous version should have been imo. No doubt a few will find niggles the longer its played out. The difference post patch 13.1.3 is night and day. players tackle intercept they dont look as if they are ice scating lol. Very pleased

no more ice scating :( i didnt mind since the NHL lockout...

Before this update i found myself having around 60% per game. I just came out of my third game and the possession was down around 50/50 for most of the match. I wanted to know why so i watched full match highlights. I am quite annoyed after seeing that. I play short passing with my mentality set as control. I then from the start of the game have a pre set 'shout' which includes Retain Possession, Play Out Of Defense, Work Ball In To Box and yet countless number of times i saw my goalkeeper and defenders kicking the ball long and my midfielders constantly looking for through balls. My formation (4,2,3,1) and tactics are set up specifically to Control possession with short passing with creative players roaming around the pitch keeping the ball looking for the right moment to play a decisive pass. Now with no tactical change at all my team is just constantly taking risky/long passes which goes completely against my formation and tactics. It seems like it's gone from not enough through balls to just trying them all the time.

Only played one game which - despite my quite defensive tactics that used to be very low on both scoring and conceding - resulted in 7 (!) goals. It could just have been a fluke though, and I guess time will tell...

My initial reactions are that the pressing is more urgent, and that the more creative players actually attempt more risky passes. My lone striker in a 4-4-1-1 scored a hat trick, all from through balls from my midfielders, which is something that was seriously lacking in the last version of the ME.

Withholding judgement on possible balance issues, I can say that it looks a lot better now at least. :)

I conceded off an indirect free kick though, which involved some very questionable positioning of my defenders. I don't think it's a new bug, as I have seen similar issues before, but I figure it's worth mentioning anyways (notice the position of the player lurking around in the penalty area, nowhere near any of the opponents, playing all 6 of them on side):

http://i.imgur.com/7vOuq.jpg

Still taking some getting used to, but I do like it a lot. Maybe because I just thrashed Zenit 7-2 and Reading 5-0, but I did have to completely re-work the tactics. Once that is done it feels like a breath of fresh air. KUTGW Paul, Neil, QA, and Beta Testers. Clearly a lot of work has gone into the last 2 weeks.

Usually a bad sign Rangers... are you on the newest patch?

try :

Verify Game Cache:

1. Load Steam

2. From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.

3. Select the Local files tab and click the ‘VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAMECACHE…’ button.

4. Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.

5. Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

6. We recommend verifying your cache twice to make sure all files are fully downloaded

Was supposed to be going to bed a long time ago....but.....

Played a few games now and so far, have to say, it's the best ME I've ever seen.

So much more realistic than previous. Loving the ball movement now when in flight etc.

Tactically, my players seem far better defensively. However, in an attacking sense, they're doing 'ok'.

This is fine though as it's more realistic.

I AM going to bed now because I'm 35, have 3 boys aged 4, 3 and 5 months and although I'm not back at work until Friday...I'm too bloody old to hack all-nighters these days and then try to carry on playing while contending with little people.

Night all.

And thank you SI, great stuff.

strikers still shooting long range when not necessary

played as united 4-1 win over Reading.

Young ran the ball into the net from the wing for 1st

scored from a cross with the second.

crossed in for a header with 3rd.

they scored from a cross

then a goal because my midfielder tackled thier player in their box and got ball to striker.

seems far better with wide players now.

OK, I've played a few games watching the full match and thought I'd report back. As a side note; I've won every game I've played so far with the new patch so any criticism is by no means a rant following a bad result, overall I'm very pleased with the steps this has taken!

The Good:

Defending has improved leaps and bounds for several reasons.

1. The defensive line keeps its shape more, and it seems rarer that multiple players mark a single man that then leaves others entirely unmarked.

2. Pressing is effective much higher up the field, with players actually making tackles as well as just crowding out the space the opposition has to move/pass into.

3. The attacking midfield line participate much more in the defensive phases of play, dropping deeper to press and mark players meaning you don't get overrun by larger numbers as often.

Attacking looks a little better too:

1. The reduction in shots means that only worthwhile efforts are taken rather than constantly firing in overambitious efforts and gifting possession back.

2. Passing seems more on point, with fewer through balls ignored and generally better pass selection.

The Bad:

1. Heading can be very erratic, particularly when clearing long balls and crosses. My defenders opt to glance headers backwards from long balls very frequently when they could comfortably clear them upfield instead. This means I'm constantly conceding unnecessary corners and throw ins much deeper than is desirable or realistic.

2. Although slightly improved, defenders are still painfully slow to turn to pursue over-the-top balls on some occasions. It's fair enough if the striker has you beaten for pace, but watching your player not even try to get there first is a little annoying.

3. Players don't seem to chase down loose balls like they would. Clearances in particular are often left to run out of play when there's a player easily close enough to collect it and regain possession. This is most observable when clearing corners and the man staying forward remains static.

4. If my players attempt a long ball over the top, my striker will often attempt to header it first time at goal from 30 yards out rather than allowing it to bounce or trying to bring it under control.

5. Shots from impossibly tight angles are still being taken rather than squaring it to free men around the 6 yard box. This is a particularly annoying one because it happens several times a game for me and is a huge waste of what should be easy scoring opportunities.

6. You seem to be well aware that the goalkeeper's distribution is pretty horrendous right now, but I'm putting it here to be a bit more comprehensive.

7. Players seem to hang on to the ball for longer than they need to when there's free men around them, only to panic a moment later and just hoof the ball wildly out of play. Perhaps this is just the flip side of better pressing, but it's annoying to see my full backs ignore options around them one second and then clear the ball into the crowd (not even upfield usually) a second later.

8. I'm not sure if this was just a couple of flukey games, I'll need to play more to decide, but I've had some crazy saves from keepers where they've been facing one way and dived backwards with superhuman reaction times to parry an easy goal away.

I'll repeat again that these things are small complaints. Overall I really like the game and think the new ME holds a lot of promise once these early niggles have been ironed out. I really appreciate the work that you're doing to resolve these issues for us :)

Non ME related but the widgets on the match screen keep moving from where you originally positioned them when you go back and forth between screens during the match, mainly oppositions match performance, moves to bottom of screen, also occasionally does this when its opened, sometimes it will disapear altogether and assistant advice, action zones widgets move around.

I reported this in the bugs section prior to release during the beta version and was told it had been fixed, when it clearly hasn't. This needs looking into as you have stated in the change list that the 'Fixed live league table widget not holding position' has been fixed but not for any of the others

I'm having the same problem, any word on this? The SI reps in the bug forum have said everything from "We're aware and working on it" to "Coders say it's too complicated"; it's a colossal irritation, though. You can basically play without widgets and not get any of the info they give you or spend the whole game reorganizing them so the information can actually be accessed; it's not really a small problem.

Pretty much the same issues as Rigga89.

My full backs will hold the ball unnecessary and then panic when they are closed down, only to clear the ball up-field to an opposing player (my centre backs are beside him), who then starts to counter and then they score. Happened twice now and there are about 5 or 6 instances in which my full back gave the ball away but they didn't score. I've also noticed full backs attempt to play ridiculous long range passes to my striker which unfortunately fail.

Strikers still respond faster to loose ball around the 6 yard box as compared to Defenders. I see my defenders (3 of them) slowly strolling towards the ball while the Striker is sprinting. It's obvious who will reach it first.

My forward seem to prefer heading the ball first time (half way between goal and centre circle) instead of controlling the ball.

The games certainly look better overall and like it now just needs some tweaking rather than the overhaul it felt like before, nice one.

-No more 30-40 pass goals which is good, but now things have gone a little too far the other way imo. Between the increased intercepts, the increased tackling and the increased riskiness of passing the play is feeling very disjointed. Along with losing possession due to passes intercepted, any time a ball goes to the feet of a player with a defender on him I know we're going to lose possession, players seem incapable of shielding the ball and tackles are constantly going through the backs of their legs. This is most obvious and frustrating when the ball is played to a striker's feet with his back to goal, loses possession every single time. It feels like every team is Stoke or playing in the Championship. Horrible if a manager wants to see a more European style of play.

-Through balls have gone insane. I think every goal but one has been a through ball in my games, with that one being from an indirect free kick which was nice to see. On top of this, the increased riskiness of passes seems to have resulted in the passing player ignoring opposition player positioning so the through balls often either hit the opposition player or go to an opening which there is no chance for the intended attacking player to get there due to defenders being closer. I've seen a high number of passes which look like they're meant to be through balls be kicked directly into the player standing a couple metres in front of the passing player.

-Players are hoiking the ball long way too much in their defensive half. As soon as they cross the halfway line this stops. I'm guessing it's down to the increased pressing?

-Attacking players are heading the ball to nowhere, it's like they're doing defensive headers.

-I'm having a number of instances of players through on goal 1v1 with the keeper, only to stop and wait to pass it to overlapping wingers. And then that ball going straight to a defender. The worst instance was stopping at the edge of the 18 yard box.

-Are players running slower with the ball now? I'm noticing players dribbling the ball get overrun and have to stop and pass when they previously would have run down the line and crossed or run through on goal and shot. May be associated with the above 1v1 problem. Undecided if this is good or bad if it is actually happening.

-Corners and free kicks are much much better.

-Loving the disappearance of that annoying inpenetrable defensive line. That was horrible!

That's all I can think of. Keep in mind some of the above issues may be due to being at the start of a new season with a newly built squad at a new club.

EDIT: Oh I love the winger defending fix! It's making a huge difference along with midfielders actually defending as midfielders instead of as central defenders.

Archived