Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we still should be pushing for £50m. i said after the bite we'd more than likely accpet £35-£40m though but he's got plenty of time on his contract still and he is a world class player. push for 50 but grudgingly take a solid £40m. no ones bigger than the club yada yada but it still makes no sense to sell your only world class player for me. i'd be inclined to do a levy and tell him to **** off, hes under contract and staying.

i'd be slightly appeased however if we got lukaku as a replacement. the guy is a beast and would score goals for fun in our team.

we need someone who can play a more creative role really though, without european football it would seem a bit odd to me to get someone in who can't play a creative role, as someone like Benteke or Lukaku doesn't really fit into our tactics without dropping Sturridge. Could always go narrow 442 diamond with Lucas DM, Gerrard/Henderson infront, and Coutinho behind Sturridge + other, but if BR wants to continue playing how we were it makes more sense to get someone in who isn't looking to lead the line.

i see your point, its kinda what we got now with suarez and sturridge both best upfront and there only seemingly 1 spot up for grabs, but if we could find a way to play 2 up top?! sturridge and lukaku would be phenomenal i reckon.

the creativity would come from the midfield.

Suarez may be our best player by far, but he's taken the **** out of this club. He's single handily brought our reputation down with his racism, diving (even though Bale is worse) and biting. And now he's betraying us by claiming he is the victim to the British press? He is a brilliant footballer, probably one of the best in this country, but no player is bigger than the club. I used to love him, but frankly now he can **** off.

He wouldn't join Liverpool when there are teams like Dortmund, At. Madrid, Spurs and Arsenal all reportedly interested. Do you actually think he would join you over any of them 4?

I think Borussia D., Atleti & Arsenal would all be in better position to buy him than Liverpool because of their Champions League status ; but why would he not join Liverpool over Tottenham Hotspurs? Neither are in the Champions League , but Liverpool are a much bigger club + alot higher potential + more money. I cant see Benteke joining for Tottenham over them because of Europa League Football ...

lets not pretend its down to anything but the money in most cases. whats james rodriguez and moutinho left porto for?

I don't think it's because of money. I think Suarez has this belief that the media is picking on him.

Suarez doesn't like the media following him feels the press have been hard on him well thats nothing if he goes to Madrid and behaves the way he has been. I would like him to stay but if he is sold we get at least £40 million and can bring in 2 quality players in.

we still should be pushing for £50m. i said after the bite we'd more than likely accpet £35-£40m though but he's got plenty of time on his contract still and he is a world class player. push for 50 but grudgingly take a solid £40m. no ones bigger than the club yada yada but it still makes no sense to sell your only world class player for me. i'd be inclined to do a levy and tell him to **** off, hes under contract and staying.

i'd be slightly appeased however if we got lukaku as a replacement. the guy is a beast and would score goals for fun in our team.

the reports I've read say he has a 40m release clause. does anyone know if that's rumor or fact?

Serious question - anyone who's actually seen the press conference? And speaks Spanish (given that it was prior to a Uruguay game)? I'm wondering which translation is more correct - the "if I ever left it would be because" or "I want to leave because".

Right now seems like a major overreaction considering he hasn't actually asked to leave.

I think its fair to say the most likely reason Suarez is leaving us is because we aren't a competitive side anymore. No europe, didn't come close to winning anything last season and finished a mile off the CL places while his talents are being courted by many top, top CL sides. I don't blame him for wanting to leave and I am sure the press intrusion probably has got to him a bit. None of us know what its like for his wife and child to cope with it each day so lets not sit here and state he is using it as an excuse because we just dont know.

Reality is he really should be playing for a top club and we aren't one of those right now. Just get it done quick, take the 40mill and focus on rebuilding the side.

On the flip side there is talk that the redevelopment of Anfield will begin this summer with announcements on the first phase (18 month project to expand one of the stands) being made sometime this month.

I think its fair to say the most likely reason Suarez is leaving us is because we aren't a competitive side anymore.

Hmmm, he came to us when we were mid table after just sacking Hodgson and the previous year finishing 6th. I think what you mean is his reputation has increased dramatically whilst he's been here and has now grown too big for the club in his eyes rather than we are now much less competitive than when he came here.

Hmmm, he came to us when we were mid table after just sacking Hodgson and the previous year finishing 6th. I think what you mean is his reputation has increased dramatically whilst he's been here and has now grown too big for the club in his eyes rather than we are now much less competitive than when he came here.

To a point yes. He probably expected top players to follow him into the club and for us to get back into the hunt for top 4 when he arrived, but that hasn't happened. He probably doesn't have the confidence in the club to get back there anytime soon either, and at 26 years old he is about to come into his peak years so its no wonder he wants to be playing at the highest level. I still don't think we are competitive at the moment either, as seen in our dismal performances in the 4 competitions we entered last year.

If we buy Pearce does that mean we're not buying a 'top' central defender? Bit worried it's now Agger/Toure/Pearce/Kelly or Wisdom as the 4 assuming Skrtel and Coates go. Which they might not.

yeah thats my worry now too. my happiness of toure signing was based largely on the idea that we'd spend big on a top centre back to fill the other gap, rather than a defender released on a free by a relegated club. shame on me because i think wisdom/kelly are good enough to be 4th choice, but fingers crossed rodgers doesnt rate them enough yet and will still go for another defender, preferably papadopolopolopolopolopolopolopous.

I don't think we're that competitive either, but compared to when Suarez came here and the proceeding couple of years? For me post-Coutinho, Sturridge and Lucas coming back we look more competitive than we have since Rafa was sacked.

---

After the January transfer window I'm actually really excited by the possibility we could have (Suarez £40m + Carroll £15m + Extra £15m) maybe £70m+ to spend this summer. Even if Suarez wasn't crying to the press about wanting away a bid upwards of £40m would have been a very interesting decision. We need to be looking at players who are going to be on the same wavelength as Coutinho and Sturridge. Players whose strengths actually fit together and make each other better. Coutinho makes Sturridge look a better player with his ability to spot his movement in behind and weight his passes beautifully to take advantage of Sturridge's pace. The same way Sturridge is making it a lot easier for Coutinho to find space by disrupting back lines who want to push up but are terrified of his pace and Coutinho's passing and end up zig-zagged. Every time I try to talk about Suarez's strengths I end up saying what a skilled individual he is. But the fact he's so individual is a bit of a problem. It must be very frustrating playing with him in one sense. Obviously you love his work rate and mentality, but on the other hand his unpredictability and unusual style must be baffling at times. Whilst I obviously don't think we're a better team without him, I HOPE we can spend the £40m as well as we did in January and make us a better team.

I always gave Luis the benefit of the doubt but I'm astounded with what he's come out with considering everything he has put the club through, and how the club have stood by him. Can't wait to see the back of him now as long as we get the 40mill (I also bet my mate a AAA game that his last banning would be the last time he kicked a ball for LFC, so leave Luis! :D)

And that better not be the end of our defensive signings!

I can see us signing another centre half on top of Pearce to be honest. That's just me though.
Tony Barratt said he's not coming to us, but not sure how reliable he is.

I'd be disappointed now if we don't sign Papadopoulos.

I wouldn't blame Suarez if he left the club. All the silly antics, FA unfairness, and occasional media frenzy aside (the media are sometimes very nice to him too), the lad probably wants to play at the top level of football, and at the moment Liverpool aren't that.

He seems to do everything for his family, and if he could go to a top European club on wages that would set them up for the rest of time then i can't see him saying no.

I wouldn't blame Suarez if he left the club. All the silly antics, FA unfairness, and occasional media frenzy aside (the media are sometimes very nice to him too), the lad probably wants to play at the top level of football, and at the moment Liverpool aren't that.

He seems to do everything for his family, and if he could go to a top European club on wages that would set them up for the rest of time then i can't see him saying no.

Bearing in mind that the family Suarez are already wealthy enough he may best serve his family now by concentrating all his efforts on not being an utter xxxx.......some things are more important than money.

Bearing in mind that the family Suarez are already wealthy enough he may best serve his family now by concentrating all his efforts on not being an utter xxxx.......some things are more important than money.

Your bitterness is absolutely astonishing. Have you ever posted in here without some form of Suarez/club complaint? Head to your own club thread, the whining is ridiculous. There's a point at which something constructive is expected.

Theres a translation on the twitter from a Spanish speaker and he pretty much says it would be best if he left.

Q: What can you say about the repercussions [your statements had] on the international media?

#Suarez: "Every time I talk, it gets turned into something huge. I only said I'm very happy in Liverpool, I'll be forever grateful for the way the club and fans treated me. I love being there because it's a spectacular club and city, and I still have a contract there. I said it's hard to say no to Real Madrid because it's normal, you always dream about [being in] big teams. But I don't have anything yet, I haven't spoken neither to Real nor LFC, nobody, even my agent hasn't told me anything yet and that's what keeps me calm. What happens is that there have been speculations and that's why everything I say will be turned into something big.

Q: With that said, do you think it's the right time for a change?

#Suarez: "Yes, obviously. On the subject that I spoke about yesterday and will keep repeating, it's a complicated and difficult moment on which I am a human being and have feelings, and I've suffered because things have being said that aren't true. They haven't valued me as a player on the pitch but only my attitude so, it pisses you off. This has been going for a while so, you have limits, you have a family that suffers as well and it's really tough."

Q: "Do you feel identified with RM's playing style? There are other teams that want you so, which team's style do you identify at the moment?"

#Suarez: "To this day I feel identified with #Liverpool, not to mention I have a contract with them. They saw great potential in me and I grew up as a player in #Liverpool, but always in transfer windows there are many rumors, this [the window] is only getting started, I don't want to imagine what's to come next.”

Q: Yesterday you talked about LFC's support for you but, have you thought that the sensation the journalists and the FA transmit [to the people in England] could expand to the rest of Europe? [This question is a bit weird but it has to do with LS having a "reputation"]

#Suarez: "I don't think so, I think that the interested clubs will be interested in 'Suarez the player', not his attitudes. I made a mistake, I apologized and regretted it. I already said it, that's clear enough. And I think one [himself] should be more aware of the mistake I made in case I go to other club or stay at #LFC, I can't keep doing things wrong, I think I've learned and it's a lesson for the future."

Q: Are you aware that Atletico's interested in your services? and 2.- Are you seduced by spanish football because of its playing style or simply because the environment in England has gone complicated and turned unsuitable for you to continue?

#Suarez: I think that there will always be interest of clubs and it's going to be talked about a lot, but I've never got anything personally or [been asked] to talk with anyone of any team. But it's kind of the two things, one of them I always said it, In England, I'm in the best league in the world in my opinion, and the spanish league is up there too, they're two of the best leagues in the world.

In England [there] is spectacular football, and I think I've shown bravery, I've moved on with what happened on the racism case. And after this [ivanovic case] I've felt bad because like I said, things have been said that made me feel uncomfortable. I have a daughter to look after, she's important too and I think put her out of that environment, of those things like "her father's bad". I'd rather change because of that, it doesn't have anything to do with #LFC or anything like that. It's just in the sense of me feeling bad, I'm a human being, I have feelings and I'd love to play in another league too."

Q: On a possible move, what do you prioritize the football aspect, the team you 'like' the best, or the economic?

#Suarez: "If it was down to the economic [reason] I would've already left for the countries that have been mentioned before but, I am prioritizing my family, my image and I think that's what I care about the most. I went through a complicated & difficult moment from which I'd love to get out, & I'm not saying this because I'm here [in Uruguay] or anything, but cause the manager and my teammates know what I went through. I was mistreated and didn't feel comfortable, they know that perfectly, and I think it'll be understandable if one day I get to leave #Liverpool."

Q: About the english press, what was the last straw [that broke the camel's back]?

#Suarez: "First of all, the thing of the paparazzi following all the time, every move I made, everything I did. I couldn't take my child to the park, go to the market or anything, it's something like, you're exposed, but well, not to mention they've said absurdities. Pictures every day, mockings, from which none [of the media] came forward to defend me.

I think-- I already knew the talk about me possibly being the Player of the Year, I said it on the club's website I think, that I [knew I] wasn't going to win any award because of the way they treated me. Our captain, Gerrard, came forward to say I wasn't being treated fairly, and well the last straw was the mistake I made, which I accepted, but they exceeded the limit as well."

Q: Now outside of England, but on the same line of thought. Are you surprised the incident in Chile got into the hands of FIFA?

#Suarez: Yes! It surprises you because if we look at everything that happens in the box we'd have like 5 or 10 actions where you feel like someone is getting suspended, it even happened last night on Boca vs. Newell's.

If everything's looked at, it will be complicated and there won't be any players left. Well, also it surprised me that the President of those who were watching me [Probably disciplinary committee] was english, irish, or somewhere around that, so you know where it's coming from. It's a constant thing, the Minister of I-don't-know-what was like "Suarez is this and that to the children" or something. He should worry about his business, we're trying to do our job here and I can't apologize more than I already did."

Q: Were you left wanting to see Evra? Because the Uruguayan public was expecting him to come and [so they could] show you their support

#Suarez: "No, at all. I already played against him a few times, it's on the past, I think it's something left behind and well, to me if he had come he was going to be just another player I could play against on the pitch."

Q: Do you have a deadline to say if you are going to stay or leave #Liverpool?

#Suarez: "No, I don't. I don't know if I'm going to leave and I don't know if I'm going to stay, the club knows perfectly what I think. They know what I went through but hey, I have a contract with #LFC, if I stay, I stay delightfully cause it's a spectacular club, but at the same time they know it's difficult cause of the harassment I received from the press there, and they know that perfectly"

This is the one, but I can't see what you are saying. I just took it when he said "it's time for a change" as in "it's time for the media to stop being disgraceful blerts"

Your bitterness is absolutely astonishing. Have you ever posted in here without some form of Suarez/club complaint? Head to your own club thread, the whining is ridiculous. There's a point at which something constructive is expected.

Yep, expected that from you. Hopefully the more reasonable LFC fans in this thread will see that actually I am not criticising your club, just a man who is pretty much out of control. Actually being constructive, the number of Posts in the last few days that pretty much say its time for Suarez to move on are to be commended, a bit late in the day but a step in the right direction at last.

LFC's defence of Suarez is my only gripe with your club (I think your club has many other issues, a hangover from the previous ownership to be fair, but in time they can be sorted I suspect).

As fan of a Team who have pretty much taken your place in the top 4 clubs over the last few years I find it hard to feel bitter, actually, but if we are dumb enough to sign Suarez and all his issues I would indeed be a bit Jiff Lemon!

a defender released on a free by a relegated club.

He wasn't released by a relegated club, he refused to sign a new contract with a relegated club. A relegated club that would probably have stayed up if he hadn't been dropped for refusing to sign a new contract.

Thanks monkeywool for posting that.

Yep, expected that from you. Hopefully the more reasonable LFC fans in this thread will see that actually I am not criticising your club, just a man who is pretty much out of control. Actually being constructive, the number of Posts in the last few days that pretty much say its time for Suarez to move on are to be commended, a bit late in the day but a step in the right direction at last.

LFC's defence of Suarez is my only gripe with your club (I think your club has many other issues, a hangover from the previous ownership to be fair, but in time they can be sorted I suspect).

The only time you've ever posted in here is whining about either Suarez or the club regarding him. Do you come in here as your anger release? Are you that offended by him? Seriously, find something a little less hyperbolic to whinge about, just do it elsewhere. Nobody in here really gives two ***** to hear some random's "I hate Suarez" and every ridiculous adjective that goes along with it (out of control ffs :D). It's been done to death. Move on.

I was mistreated and didn't feel comfortable, they know that perfectly, and I think it'll be understandable if one day I get to leave #Liverpool."

I didn't actually notice that, or it didn't register at least. The whole interview was one of a guy who is just weighing up his options though, nothing has been decided outright - it's clearly a case of someone being bummed out by the whole situation and is now in the whole "what can I do" phase.

Certainly seems pretty horribly misreported, which lends a bit of credence to the media treating him like ****. Nothing like the "I want to leave" everyone's taken it as.

It's Suarez, even if he said "I am not going anywhere, I am also donating all of my wages for the next 3 years to charity, buying a bunch of kittens for the children's home and opening a homeless shelter in my house" the media would take a negative stance on it.

It's easy to jump in to a a very black and white view on these things.

It's like, everyone has a firm view on whether Suarez is either a world class forward or he's not, he's either a racist or he's not, he's either an embarrassment to the club or not, he either wants more money or he doesn't, he either loves the club or he doesn't, we either want £40m or we don't. etc.

It's going to be far more complex than that with quite a few different factors contributing to whether he stays or goes. And what the reasons are.

The current status of Liverpool FC as a football club, where we're heading, how much we pay him, how he's seen internally by the players and staff, how he's seen and portrayed by the media, what other clubs are interested in him and what his options are, what's best for his family, financially and locationally, what's best for the club in terms of public image, finances, ability to attract other players etc. are just some of the factors involved by all parties.

It's easy to jump in to a a very black and white view on these things.

Not really, that's why I wanted to see an actual translation. My immediate reaction after the bite was to say sell him simply because of the suspensions he's getting (either justified or not, he's incurring them) and tbh I've seen nothing that dissuades me from that - we've seen the side is more cohesive without him, so for all his ability we can probably do more with the money than we can with him if Rodgers' January transfer window is anything to go by.

Archived