Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

thought it was wigan? but yeah found myself thinking the same before.

was actually thinking this week does rodgers actually believe our defence is good enough with all these attacking players we're linked with?! likes been said theyve embarrassed themselves more than a few times this season.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think Rodgers got that wrong today personally. Having said that the players need to have a look at themselves as our starting team was good enough to win that comfortably. Hopefully Coutinho coming will mean we never seen Downing pull on a Liverpool shirt again.

@philmcnulty: Liverpool boss Rodgers "bitterly disappointed with the young players" in Oldham defeat - but also had £38m worth of his own signings in team

Will stay reasonably silent until i see the context for this, but if its as straightforward as the snippet suggests, Im done with Rodgers. Blaming his own shortcomings, which put us on the back foot to begin with, on the youth? No thanks.

Think Rodgers got that wrong today personally. Having said that the players need to have a look at themselves as our starting team was good enough to win that comfortably. Hopefully Coutinho coming will mean we never seen Downing pull on a Liverpool shirt again.

Downing hasnt been playing poorly the last few months. and as long as that continues you will see LOTS of Steeeeeeeewie.

Will stay reasonably silent until i see the context for this, but if its as straightforward as the snippet suggests, Im done with Rodgers. Blaming his own shortcomings, which put us on the back foot to begin with, on the youth? No thanks.

I think his interview was terrible, laying the blame at the feet of young players (some of whom have less than 50 games in their career under their belts) and not acknowledging once his own part in this shambles. Gone right down in my estimation after reading that, a manager should take responsibility not pass the buck.

What did he get wrong though? Unless you know something we don't his initial selection seemed to make sense, I think the players let him down honestly. Coates/Skertel/Robinson/Jones all looked totally out fought and that's what cost us.

He played with only 2 midfielders. And neither were ball winners so immediately took a gamble there hoping the 4 attackers would do the business but they didn't and Oldham bossed the midfield as they had no pressure or any tackles in them. Wasn't until Gerrard came on that he started making tackles in that middle and put pressure on them that the game started to turn Liverpools way but game was over by than.

I never understand why managers rest players than bring them on :/ If you wasn't going to start them than don't play them. If anything start them, get job done and take them off for last 30. Not having a dig at Liverpool or anyone but for me today once again showed that without Suarez/Gerrard Liverpool in my eyes are no where near a top 4 team. As Suarez was only one that produced some magic for the equaliser, where as Gerrard once again was Liverpools driving inspiration force. They really need to find a player that can take some of the pressure of Gerrard, as Gerrard can't deliver all the time at his age.

I think his interview was terrible, laying the blame at the feet of young players (some of whom have less than 50 games in their career under their belts) and not acknowledging once his own part in this shambles. Gone right down in my estimation after reading that, a manager should take responsibility not pass the buck.

Yeah, pretty much my qualms with the situation. Firstly, if youre going to slate the team, slate the team as a whole. It was a 30 year full international in Brad Jones who basically dropped the ball into the net, for example, yet he seemingly escapes blame if we're to go by the quotes. You dont pick out inexperienced players and put the blame with them. Terrible man management.

More importantly is the fact that Rodgers got it completely wrong today. Going into a game against lower league opposition with a midfield two, and it was quite literally a midfield two, of Allen and Henderson is nothing more than a recipe for disaster. I wouldnt fancy them two against a ball playing team, never mind a team who are likely to rely on aggression, power and more than two men in midfield.

Thats not to say the players should be absolved of all blame, but they were on a hiding to nothing with the set up rodgers insisted on. His signings are starting to show that they arent up to scratch either. Both Borini and Allen look woefully out of place, and Sturridge missed a pretty good chance, and thats not even mentioning the lucky offside he got when he tried to dink the keeper. Also worth remembering that Hodgson had a scarily similar rant post-Northampton debacle.

Yeah, pretty much my qualms with the situation. Firstly, if youre going to slate the team, slate the team as a whole. It was a 30 year full international in Brad Jones who basically dropped the ball into the net, for example, yet he seemingly escapes blame if we're to go by the quotes. You dont pick out inexperienced players and put the blame with them. Terrible man management.

More importantly is the fact that Rodgers got it completely wrong today. Going into a game against lower league opposition with a midfield two, and it was quite literally a midfield two, of Allen and Henderson is nothing more than a recipe for disaster. I wouldnt fancy them two against a ball playing team, never mind a team who are likely to rely on aggression, power and more than two med in midfield.

Thats not to say the players should be absolved of all blame, but they were on a hiding to nothing with the set up rodgers insisted on. His signings are started to show that they arent up to scratch either. Both Borini and Allen look woefully out of place, and Sturridge missed a pretty good chance, and thats not even mentioning the lucky offside he got when he tried to dink the keeper. Also worth remembering that Hodgson had a scarily similar rant post-Northampton debacle.

I was surprised we didn't defend higher up the pitch to be honest to not only nulify their target man's influence on the game but also to ensure our attacking players were closer to their goal. In the first half hour we were terrible and sat far too deep and looked stretched. It was only in the second half when they got a 2 goal lead and sat back did we then decide to step up and put pressure on them, but ny then it was too late.

Just read the Rodgers interview, some bad quotes in there. Needs to look at himself before having a good at teenagers. 2 in midfield today was a poor decision. As others have said play the first team, get the game won then take off players needing a rest.

Just read the Rodgers interview, some bad quotes in there. Needs to look at himself before having a good at teenagers. 2 in midfield today was a poor decision. As others have said play the first team, get the game won then take off players needing a rest.

I don't see the problem with Rodgers having a go at the players including the teenagers. They all need to step up and take responsibility, Coates isn't some teenage kid in his first game, he should have done a LOT better. Same goes for Robinson and the rest, they weren't playing world beaters so being disappointed with a totally inept performance is to be expected.

I'm not solely blaming the players, Rodgers needs to learn from his mistakes just as the younger players do. Seems like stardom has gone to Sterlings head and he needs to be chopped down a few levels.

For me today's game was not one to use players who lack experience against lower league teams, or haven't got the physical attributes to stand up against the ones playing for Oldham today. On a wet and windy Sunday afternoon in Oldham I'd easily have put in Carragher ahead of Coates, maybe Agger instead of Robinson. Our midfield options are limited, because we would ideally save Lucas and Gerrard for Arsenal on Wednesday, but as has been said a midfield 2 of Allen and Henderson won't win you anything.

Thought Rodgers was well within his rights to single out the younger players. Robinson, Coates both had absolutely shocking games. Didn't think the team we sent out was wrong in any way, but we simply didn't get the ball down and play - we gave it away to them at every opportunity so it played right into their tactics.

Robinson's poor attitude was amazing. Think he forgot who the captain was?

haha robinson getting all this stick for daring to back chat the golden boy. he's a young kid who had a bad day at the office, he's done fine when he's had the opportunity's before, to suddenly go to the extreme of 'never kicking a ball for the club again' ffs. have a look at yourself. if we binned every youngster after one bad showing then we may aswell fold.

as for the game overall i thought rodgers was way too attack minded, it was basically a 4-2-4. think everyone had a **** game though so that hardly helped things. coates was a shambles and they targeted him throughout the game. borini had another game where he went hiding and i thought sturridge was really sloppy in the last 30 minutes, he kept passing it to an oldham player. gerrard should've scored when it was pulled back to him too.

**** day. wanted to win it this year.

hopefully it'll be a kick up the arse for wednesday.

haha robinson getting all this stick for daring to back chat the golden boy. he's a young kid who had a bad day at the office, he's done fine when he's had the opportunity's before, to suddenly go to the extreme of 'never kicking a ball for the club again' ffs. have a look at yourself. if we binned every youngster after one bad showing then we may aswell fold.

as for the game overall i thought rodgers was way too attack minded, it was basically a 4-2-4. think everyone had a **** game though so that hardly helped things. coates was a shambles and they targeted him throughout the game. borini had another game where he went hiding and i thought sturridge was really sloppy in the last 30 minutes, he kept passing it to an oldham player. gerrard should've scored when it was pulled back to him too.

**** day. wanted to win it this year.

hopefully it'll be a kick up the arse for wednesday.

If you think his attitude, and the way he mouthed off was okay, then I'd say it was you that needs to have a look at himself. This isn't ****ing pub football, and you don't tell senior players to "**** off", especially after you've just had an absolute shocker. Can you imagine a youngster reacting like that at Man U? He wouldn't last 5mins and that's exactly how it should be.

And you've misinterpreted me. He shouldn't be kicked out for playing poorly, he should be kicked out for playing that poorly and then showing absolute contempt for senior players by telling them to **** off.

One is a reserve team player and the other was a senior captain so it's hardly two team mates having an 'altercation'.

I have zero tolerance for what happened and you and some others obviously feel differently. We're never going to agree so lets just leave it at that.

I feel for Robinson though in that game. As he had Coates alongside him who you would have thought was the younger of the two players and infront of him he had either the lazy Sterling or Borini so was offered little protection when being attacked by a full back on loan from City.

From a neutral i feel Liverpool could do nothing wrong in buying Diame. £3.5m, and he is a powerful center midfielder who can easily fill any void left by Gerrard when rested. As it has been no secret this season you've been physically weak in some games, and Diame would change this to some degree. As Coutinho is a potentially decent signing but running the danger of becoming top heavy.

One is a reserve team player and the other was a senior captain so it's hardly two team mates having an 'altercation'.

I have zero tolerance for what happened and you and some others obviously feel differently. We're never going to agree so lets just leave it at that.

do you think this is the first time they have had an altercation like this this season? Also this whole Suarez was captain don't mouth off to him is ridiculous this isn't Rugby or Cricket where the role actually has some meaning other than ceremonial. He may have been right or wrong but you shouldn't create a situation where the senior players are raised to a pedestal which will create fear for the younger players

From a neutral i feel Liverpool could do nothing wrong in buying Diame. £3.5m, and he is a powerful center midfielder who can easily fill any void left by Gerrard when rested. As it has been no secret this season you've been physically weak in some games, and Diame would change this to some degree. As Coutinho is a potentially decent signing but running the danger of becoming top heavy.

Aye been plenty of mentions of him in here, really is a bargain at that price. It's a pity Napoli are doing so well this year or I wouldn't mind going for Inler.

Archived