Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you think his attitude, and the way he mouthed off was okay, then I'd say it was you that needs to have a look at himself. This isn't ****ing pub football, and you don't tell senior players to "**** off", especially after you've just had an absolute shocker. Can you imagine a youngster reacting like that at Man U? He wouldn't last 5mins and that's exactly how it should be.

And you've misinterpreted me. He shouldn't be kicked out for playing poorly, he should be kicked out for playing that poorly and then showing absolute contempt for senior players by telling them to **** off.

Rooney has been telling refs to xxxx off from the day he arrived - not the same thing I know but worth mentioning.

I think Robinson is being harshly treated. Suarez moans at ****ing everything and reguarly shoots wide when others are better placed, i'd probably tell him to **** off too. Just a shame he didn't show as much balls for their 3rd goal.

Most other things have been covered i think, Coates is not good enough and i doubt he ever will be. £25m on Borini and Allen was a terrible use of money, just awful.

Perhaps yesterday's performance was a cunning ploy by Rodgers to show the owners that the squad desperately needs improving?

Nothing wrong with him criticising the youngsters, hopefully it will give them a wake up call. Coates and Robinson showed that we have no adequate cover at DC/DL and a couple of injuries to Agger and Johnson could destroy what's left of our season.

£25m on Borini and Allen was a terrible use of money, just awful.
I said that a long time ago (I think it was the day after the summer transfer window closed), but at that point in time everyone had there judgement clouded by optimism

I said that a long time ago (I think it was the day after the summer transfer window closed), but at that point in time everyone had there judgement clouded by optimism

you cant have been reading that closely then cos there were a few of us who werent impressed but that doesnt mean we werent prepared to give them a chance.

I'm not giving up on Coates after one bad game, when he's barely played for the past 5 months and came up against a massively physical striker the same size as him for what I assume is one of the first times in his career. I've seen what he can do when given the chance but its painfully obvious that he needs games atm. He looked incredibly rusty in the first half, and he was very poor. I thought he improved in the second tbf to him.

I'd say that he can't take the blame for a cluster**** of a defensive performance from the entire back four and a goalkeeper that inspires zero confidence. Jones was a bigger culprit, he half came for the first goal then went back, leading to an indecisive backline. The second was just incredibly bad keeping.

And, like has already been said, Rodgers got his team selection badly wrong. It was like he tried to shoehorn Borini into the side because he felt he had to, leading to us being unbalanced and overrun. The young full backs had no help, Allen and Henderson are a pretty lightweight duo in the centre at the best of times, and every time they attacked we had at least the front 4 men out of the game, plus whoever else we had committed.

Its annoying because I think we've made some big strides over the past month or so, but that game was a step back. Hopefully with a return to a proper first 11 against Arsenal we can pick up where we left off on Weds.

I was incredibly meh about Borini and Allen was way overpriced for the limited footballer he is. Worse still is that he's Rodgers' mancrush and seems to be virtually undroppable, despite our best, most balanced midfield not including him. Lucas, Henderson and Gerrard for me.

I thought he improved in the second tbf to him.

you obviously missed him getting caught on the ball and was only saved because he fell over on top of it and escaped a hand ball and probably a yellow card in the process (if not a red for denying a goalscoring opportunity). that or you just blanked it out, i know i wish i could.

yeah silly talk to be considering giving up on coates. i like him, but he's had a wasted season here, should be out on loan. would love to see the wigan rumour happen, would get games and play in a similar style.

he was really bad yesterday though. remember within the first minute yesterday with no one around him he just hoofed it straight out of play and they ultimately pressed us from that throw in and scored soon after. skrtel not much better yesterday tbf.

I've always liked the look of Shelvey in your midfield DeafParrot. Still very raw at the moment but whenever he plays alongside Gerrard he does seem to learn a lot. Offers that bit of steel in the middle too which alongside Lucas and Gerrard will never be out muscled by rival teams. Allen is a good player, just not the price he was brought which is a shame. If for 3-5m than he would be considered a solid buy. Borini i never understood the purchase of :/ Never been a prolific goalscorer and was released by Chelsea a year earlier for nothing.

I'm not giving up on Coates after one bad game, when he's barely played for the past 5 months and came up against a massively physical striker the same size as him for what I assume is one of the first times in his career. I've seen what he can do when given the chance but its painfully obvious that he needs games atm. He looked incredibly rusty in the first half, and he was very poor. I thought he improved in the second tbf to him.

I'd say that he can't take the blame for a cluster**** of a defensive performance from the entire back four and a goalkeeper that inspires zero confidence. Jones was a bigger culprit, he half came for the first goal then went back, leading to an indecisive backline. The second was just incredibly bad keeping.

And, like has already been said, Rodgers got his team selection badly wrong. It was like he tried to shoehorn Borini into the side because he felt he had to, leading to us being unbalanced and overrun. The young full backs had no help, Allen and Henderson are a pretty lightweight duo in the centre at the best of times, and every time they attacked we had at least the front 4 men out of the game, plus whoever else we had committed.

Its annoying because I think we've made some big strides over the past month or so, but that game was a step back. Hopefully with a return to a proper first 11 against Arsenal we can pick up where we left off on Weds.

Agree that Jones had a shocker, showed that we defo need a new keeper if Pepe were to leave.

Coates needs to get regular football, a loan spell would be the best thing for everybody right now.

We only ever looks solid defensively when Lucas is playing, we just don't function properly without him.

you obviously missed him getting caught on the ball and was only saved because he fell over on top of it and escaped a hand ball and probably a yellow card in the process (if not a red for denying a goalscoring opportunity). that or you just blanked it out, i know i wish i could.

He should have been given a foul in the first place iirc. There were a number of occasions throughout the game when he was completely manhandled and got nothing. Take nothing away from it though, he had a mare. But so did everyone else in the defence.

I saw a stat yesterday where we've won (i think) 57% of games that Lucas has played in this season, compared to (again, I think) 24% without him. Incredible really.

Edit: Opta Joe knows... 55% - Liverpool have won 55% of Premier League games when Lucas has played this season, compared to 25% without him. Crucial.

The berating of Robinson in here is ridiculous. I've seen Suarez go ape **** many times when a young player doesn't pass him the ball, I'd be more concerned about the example he is setting by doing that.

Suarez has earnt the right to do that by being brilliant for us. JR should be licking his boots, not telling him where to go.

That might be somewhat to do with us just settling at the beginning into Rodger's tactics, meaning bad results, which just happened to coincide when Lucas was out, but yeah, definitely need that ballwinner there. Just a massive gap when he's not played and Hendo and Allen don't offer enough in that department

Theres seriously nothing wrong with what Robinson did (other than his choice to shoot in the first place.) Emotions were high, he was giving his all trying to get us back into the game, and the last thing you want is half the team having a go at you when you get something wrong. Clearly once he gets back into the dressing room and they look at it again he can see he was at fault and take the criticism on board. Getting berated by your own team on the field I'm pretty sure almost all players whould react in the exact same way. Storm in a teacup.

Suarez has earnt the right to do that by being brilliant for us. JR should be licking his boots, not telling him where to go.

Not at all. You can never earn the right to berate young players. Suarez as the senior player should be encouraging these players not damaging their confidence.

He should encourage him to waste chances? No, he should berate him for not passing to a better positioned teammate who is also better equipped at finding the back of the net. And he should tell him immediately and not after the game, or he might waste another chance or two.

He should encourage him to waste chances? No, he should berate him for not passing to a better positioned teammate who is also better equipped at finding the back of the net. And he should tell him immediately and not after the game, or he might waste another chance or two.

Lets say this happens in the first 10 minutes and Robinson is afraid to do anything for the rest of the game and passes up a clear scoring opportunity from fear of missing. Should Suarez berate him again or is it all still ok?

What are Liverpool fans thoughts on Sterling in past month or two since new contract? As see some have been disappointed with his recent performances. Seemed like a 18 yr old league one player yesterday not a 18 yr old premiership player yesterday for me. Out of position, didn't track back and made some reckless challenges where he is still getting away with from refs due to his 'age'.

Do you feel it's just a case of still hugely young and the expectations to be consistently at a good level is too high at the moment? Or that he is starting to develop an ego now he is earning a good wage, such as I've now reached the top level so don't need to work as hard?

Theres constructive criticism which he'll take on board, and theres calling him all of the ***** under the sun, which will envoke a reaction similar to the one he got.

What are Liverpool fans thoughts on Sterling in past month or two since new contract? As see some have been disappointed with his recent performances. Seemed like a 18 yr old league one player yesterday not a 18 yr old premiership player yesterday for me. Out of position, didn't track back and made some reckless challenges where he is still getting away with from refs due to his 'age'.

Do you feel it's just a case of still hugely young and the expectations to be consistently at a good level is too high at the moment? Or that he is starting to develop an ego now he is earning a good wage, such as I've now reached the top level so don't need to work as hard?

He's just a little bit overrated. I don't have any doubts he's working just as hard as he ever has been, but he's not been the most effective player at the best of times so far. He's not got the ability to singlehandedly win us games or anything like that, but hopefully the more he plays the better he'll become. Teams are getting wise to him at the moment and are some are being pretty successful in shutting him down, so he'll have to find other ways to play.

He's probably a year or two ahead in his development, he shouldn't be being relied upon as a constant starter yet. Hence the Coutinho signing I guess.

Lets say this happens in the first 10 minutes and Robinson is afraid to do anything for the rest of the game and passes up a clear scoring opportunity from fear of missing. Should Suarez berate him again or is it all still ok?

If he gets scared at being told off and becomes indecisive then he shouldn't be in the team. He should be able to take it on the chin, realise he made a mistake and make a better decision next time. What would've happened if Gerrard and Carragher were there to have a go at him? Would he have answered back like he did to Suarez?

He's just a little bit overrated. I don't have any doubts he's working just as hard as he ever has been, but he's not been the most effective player at the best of times so far. He's not got the ability to singlehandedly win us games or anything like that, but hopefully the more he plays the better he'll become. Teams are getting wise to him at the moment and are some are being pretty successful in shutting him down, so he'll have to find other ways to play.

He's probably a year or two ahead in his development, he shouldn't be being relied upon as a constant starter yet. Hence the Coutinho signing I guess.

This is it in a nutshell. When i look at Sterling I dont see the player the media, and some Liverpool associates, would have you believe. I see a decent player, who has the attributes to stand out at youth level where players are a lot more hit and miss. His control is generally impeccable for a player of his age, and i think this gives a false impression of his abilities at the minute. If i had to put my finger on his maximum level hed be a top 4 player, without doubt, but he wont come close to being as good as the likes of Gerrard or whoever else. Probably be at the same level as Walcott when hes 23, albeit a bit more consistent.

Short term, he just needs "rested".

If he gets scared at being told off and becomes indecisive then he shouldn't be in the team. He should be able to take it on the chin, realise he made a mistake and make a better decision next time. What would've happened if Gerrard and Carragher were there to have a go at him? Would he have answered back like he did to Suarez?

That is a valid point considering the authority those 2 have on the pitch, i don't think he would have.

Would those 2 have done what Suarez done? Have a word with the chap, yes. Don't completely lose it and berate him. He knew he made a poor decision, behaving like that towards him will have accomplished nothing but to bring that reaction out of Robinson.

Would those 2 have done what Suarez done? Have a word with the chap, yes. Don't completely lose it and berate him. He knew he made a poor decision, behaving like that towards him will have accomplished nothing but to bring that reaction out of Robinson.

Have you seen those 2 play?? I've never seen them go a game without shouting at someone. Gerrard was about to give Suarez a hard time earlier this season before he ran through and scored.

I'm sure whenever Man Utd players do something wrong Mr Ferguson just 'has a word with the chap' and all is fine. Or perhaps he berates them and they end up winning all the time?

We've had enough namby-pamby managers and players in recent years, it's about time we had people who will not settle for anything but the best.

Theo "hmm i might just need to play well this season to get my contract" Walcott, yes.

I meant on a game to game basis. Over the years hes basically had a split personality.

Walcott has always been an incredibly dangerous player despite his inconsistency, much more dangerous than Sterling at the same age I might add.

Walcott is a different player this year, he's stepped up majorly. He used to be afraid of big moments but not this season. You never had any chance of signing him.

Walcott has always been an incredibly dangerous player despite his inconsistency, much more dangerous than Sterling at the same age I might add.

Walcott is a different player this year, he's stepped up majorly. He used to be afraid of big moments but not this season. You never had any chance of signing him.

Hes not an incredibly dangerous player when he has the first touch of a trampoline, as has been the case in a significant portion of his career.

It wasnt a direct comparison anyway, I was talking about the general level hes at, and the general level Sterling will get to.

Hes not an incredibly dangerous player when he has the first touch of a trampoline, as has been the case in a significant portion of his career.

It wasnt a direct comparison anyway, I was talking about the general level hes at, and the general level Sterling will get to.

Saying Walcott isnt/wasn't incredibly dangerous is ridiculous. His pace alone made him so. Just ask Messi.

Sterling will be a very good player one day but the pressure heaped on him now is dangerous to his development imo. I don't think an 18 year old with Sterlings ability should be playing so many games for a club as big as Liverpool.

Archived