FM2010 blogs #27 - Achievements. And 2 new match engine videos.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall, I think the 3-D view is the best seen in any game so far. Well done for what we saw so far

My main negative comments would be the following:

1. There is obviously room for improvement in the gameplay (some kicks and ball movements did not seem very natural)

2. Is there a way to make players more recognisable? Right now they all seem to look the same. Will there be the option to have player names next to the players (like 2-D)?

3. Adding on to 2 above, I would like to buy Ronaldinho (for example) and actually see Ronaldinho in my team. Hence, will there be the possibilty of further customised player features, such as seeing a player in brownish skin colour, with a ponytail, untucked shirt and white or yellow boots? (I dont expect high detail, adding these features in the current player size would be more than enough). Customised player celebrations and player style of kicking etc would also be a nice touch

4. Stadium views matching those in real life (especially for the big stadiums) would be a nice touch though I agree this should be lower priority

Overall, I think the 3-D view is the best seen in any game so far. Well done for what we saw so far

1. There is obviously room for improvement in the gameplay (some kicks and ball movements did not seem very natural)

2. Is there a way to make players more recognisable? Right now they all seem to look the same. Will there be the option to have player names next to the players (like 2-D)?

3. Adding on to 2 above, I would like to buy Ronaldinho (for example) and actually see Ronaldinho in my team. Hence, will there be the possibilty of further customised player features, such as seeing a player in brownish skin colour, with a ponytail, untucked shirt and white or yellow boots? (I dont expect high detail, adding these features in the current player size would be more than enough). Customised player celebrations and player style of kicking etc would also be a nice touch

4. Stadium views matching those in real life (especially for the big stadiums) would be a nice touch though I agree this should be lower priority

I think with EA currently having the rights to the players image (in terms of gameplay), then I cannot see how much detail that SI can go into on the players, as they don't want to get sued that is for sure.

I too would like to see a bit more individualness, but they do have to be very wary, of EA's rights in that area.

wow those 3d views are really impressive. last year i didn't use the 3d view because it didn't quite immerse me enough... using the 2d view and my imagination was plenty good enough for me

but now the stadiums look like stadiums, with actual people in, and even the football looked more like football in those youtubes (I mean the way they passed it around etc)... i really cant wait and im glad ive got it on pre-order.

good job imo! :)

My observations for what they are worth:

PLUSES:

Crowd sections (home/Away) reactions to goals - awesome!!!! Adds soooo much.

3d looks like real football, pretty much.

Security seem to confiscate flash photography cameras at the turnstiles now! :-D

Also, how dug outs graphics have improved in such a short time!

MINUSES:

Sound in match (crowd etc) no better that FM05! and worse than CM0102. I know this is no surprise, was announced weeks ago but really SI do not grasp how important this is. And to those that never listen to in match sound, you may if they were any good!

3d could be smoother, I can live with it though! :-)

2nd match clip - 44.45 mins, AML leaves a ball drifting to the ML position that he can win to return to his position at AML :-( Must be sorted SI!

Also, very pedantic, would be good if away fans were grouped closer together as IRL. Imagine how more annoying a tight small group of fans celebrating a goal at your own stadium would be! And if you score at the end where your away fans are surely you would run over to them (in that corner)?

Stupid question

If you buy the DVD and activate it through Steam or whatever, do you need a steam account first or will it sign up through FM?

I think you'll need it before installing. Just get one anyway since its free and once you've installed you don't need to have steam running to play the game.

I'm pretty sure you can sign up for a steam account as part of the install process, if you need one. But if you want to save some time, then you can always download and install steam and register before release day.

It is the case in FM09, I don't see why it would be any different.

They have custom skin and hair colours.

I think SI should offer a stadium editor and let the fans create the stadiums. I'm sure people will come up with great work.

Also, very pedantic, would be good if away fans were grouped closer together as IRL. Imagine how more annoying a tight small group of fans celebrating a goal at your own stadium would be! And if you score at the end where your away fans are surely you would run over to them (in that corner)?

I thought they were.

There was a goal in the left hand net by the away team and the stand behind the goal was empty (construction?) but in the corner there was the away fans celebrating. You could clearly see it was them as the fans on our viewpoint on the right of them were not....lol

Anyway having fans in a more colour coded clothing in the teams colours (though not all of them but the majority) as would be the case in real life, would be a good addition.

I thought they were.

There was a goal in the left hand net by the away team and the stand behind the goal was empty (construction?) but in the corner there was the away fans celebrating. You could clearly see it was them as the fans on our viewpoint on the right of them were not....lol

Anyway having fans in a more colour coded clothing in the teams colours (though not all of them but the majority) as would be the case in real life, would be a good addition.

Yeah but when I say close I mean CLOSE. In the 70's at Dean Court, Bournemouth, there would generally be 12-20 away fans and they were within touching distance of each other. Not complaining, all looks ace. Can wait to see if when an opponents shot goes wildly wide if one of the fans spreads his arms out! LOL

Re:the second video, I'm not sure plod would be too happy if that's how you chose to segregate your supporters...

Sign me up to the bulging net appreciation society.

Thats very true:D

Why the empty space behin one of the goals, and then stick the away fans in the corner:confused::confused:

Am I the only one that is pleased that the net "wibbles" when the ball hits the side netting, but is disappointed that there is no bulging when the ball hits the back of the net?

well we've not seen a goal that hits the back of the net yet, but the long range one in video two certainly bulges the side of the net

Club colours are factored into the crowds but if the consensus is that it's too subtle we will look at rebalancing it for a patch.

Ah, good. I think it is a little subtle, as at most games you would be able to tell who the home and away fans are just by looking at them (unless both teams play in same colours)

Ah, the "crowd segregation" bug - well spotted! LOL

I imagine the data threads will be full of 'away fans are in the wrong place in XXXXX stadium' rants in a weeks time:D

Ok watching the videos of the match engine and things really are starting to look good.

The crowd/stadiums I'm sure will get better as time progresses, But at the moment they are a massive stride over FM09 I love the away fans bouncing around towards the end of the match just because they have a corner even though they are 3 - 1 down, been there done that lol.

The net effect on goals/shots adds a new dimension to the 3D too, however think it still needs a bit of work as if you look at the penalty not even a tiny bit of movement from the net, yet on the opening goal it looked great. Patch fix maybe?

Nice to see Assistants with flags, couldn't work out if referee's were showing cards or not but that would be nice to see.

Now that weather is implemented would be nice if stadium corner flags blew in the wind too.

Everything moving in the right directions for me though with the 3D making massive strides and if the A.I. of the Engine has been improved too this year should be a great addition to my FM collection.

Everything moving in the right directions for me though with the 3D making massive strides and if the A.I. of the Engine has been improved too this year should be a great addition to my FM collection.

The AI has been improved, not just the graphics.

Originally Posted by elminsterr View Post

Please Miles in FM 2010 add option that will turn off shadows of the stands. I hate to watch games with half of the pitch very dark and half in normal light. I want to see stands but I don't want to see the shadows of them on my pitch.

I think that many people have the same problem.

But then it loses the realism of playing in stadiums that do have this in RL.

Originally Posted by elminsterr View Post

Please Miles in FM 2010 add option that will turn off shadows of the stands. I hate to watch games with half of the pitch very dark and half in normal light. I want to see stands but I don't want to see the shadows of them on my pitch.

I think that many people have the same problem.

But then it loses the realism of playing in stadiums that do have this in RL.

When the Gold Demo is available, give it a go and see how it feels for you. Throughout development we've tweaked and refined the shadows to try and ensure they do not detract from your experience whilst trying to maintain as much realism as possible.

The lighting on the whole should be considerably better balanced than FM 2009, but we're always looking to improve, so welcome feedback.

When the Gold Demo is available, give it a go and see how it feels for you. Throughout development we've tweaked and refined the shadows to try and ensure they do not detract from your experience whilst trying to maintain as much realism as possible.

The lighting on the whole should be considerably better balanced than FM 2009, but we're always looking to improve, so welcome feedback.

Something i noticed on the video relating to this is that the near side of the pitch is covered by the stands, so you can't see the near touchline on one of the camera angles.

Something i noticed on the video relating to this is that the near side of the pitch is covered by the stands, so you can't see the near touchline on one of the camera angles.

It's not really important to see the touchline on every camera angle, as long as the actual area of play isn't obscured then it's fine. It would look even worse if the stadium disappeared when the camera was looking down on it

• SI Staff
Miles, will the affiliates section be edited for the new website? I'e been asking for three years to be a part of it :)

As per the earlier question re the new website, ask Duffy :)

Player cam is just a debug camera view only available for SI, that option wont be there in the release.

Correct.

will the game on mac be different in any other ways?

also the achievements should be on the game, not steam, so everyone can use them. Annoying

As mentioned previously, the software that enables the achievements software is provided by the Steam platform, with us just coding the actual achievements. If you want them on Mac too (which I certainly do!) try lobbying Steam to do a Mac client (which we have also lobbied for :))

That's a shame. I was getting all excited about the Player Cam. Miles said in todays blog that these videos are the real deal so I was assuming that what we see in these videos are what we can expect in the game...

Miles, can you confirm if the Player Cam will be in the game?

I can confrim that player cam will NOT be in the game.

We have a database of over 400,000 players and staff. Even if we did get the license to have player likenesses, trying to make 400,000 players and staff look like they do in real life would take thousands of artists, and that's on the basis that we could get video footage of all of them, and high definition photo's. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

Stadium wise, we are not interested in stadium licensing. We are interested in improving how we do them in the short and long term, but trying to realistically model every stadium in the world would take even more artists than the above.

i didnt see any flashes so can we assume that they are removed?

Flashes have been removed from this version. It was a difficult decision, with a lot of debate, but we couldn't get it right in the time we had, so removed it rather than having it be annoying. We'll look at doing it properly for FM2011.

My observations for what they are worth:

Sound in match (crowd etc) no better that FM05! and worse than CM0102. I know this is no surprise, was announced weeks ago but really SI do not grasp how important this is. And to those that never listen to in match sound, you may if they were any good!

It is better than FM05. There have been a few tweaks this year, although nothing ground breaking.

There are lots of reasons why we haven't done a proper sound re-vamp in the last couple of years. There will be one at some point, but can't guarantee when yet. It is on the list, and we also see it as important, but we do everything in stages.

I imagine the data threads will be full of 'away fans are in the wrong place in XXXXX stadium' rants in a weeks time:D

And the answer will be "they aren't meant to be, and if they are, we got lucky". It's not something we've researched.

but I must ask about the game speed. My laptop has an alright time running FM 09 but hated it before the patch. Will the game be sluggish like last autumn or start as it means to go on?

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/football-manager-2010/Football-Manager-2010-new-features-blog-Day-23-Speed-tests-and-Paulo-Nutini-article180613.html

From what they say, it's looking promising. I always found the game speed to be satisfactory - it was the sluggish behaviour of the GUI that got my goat.

As per the earlier question re the new website, ask Duffy :)

Flashes have been removed from this version. It was a difficult decision, with a lot of debate, but we couldn't get it right in the time we had, so removed it rather than having it be annoying. We'll look at doing it properly for FM2011.

It is better than FM05. There have been a few tweaks this year, although nothing ground breaking.

There are lots of reasons why we haven't done a proper sound re-vamp in the last couple of years. There will be one at some point, but can't guarantee when yet. It is on the list, and we also see it as important, but we do everything in stages.

Shame about player cam! I would find that quite useful for scouting / analysing.

Camera flashes seems to be a case on common sense winning through but like you say...one day!

Am intrigued re crowd sounds. FM only can utilise 2 of the five sense and SI constantly overlook one of those! I do trust your reasons are good but......strange! PS The FM09 crowd "drone" really, REALLY annoys "significant others" who are close by in earshot - it needs sorting even just by volume shifts with maybe quite breaks.

Great video's that really whet the appetite for the demo, and the full release.

I know the question/point has already been raised, but can we please have better away support "bunching" for a patch. I know it will be low down on the priority list, depending on what is found to be broken/tweakable, but it really would add something. The little things that count and all that...

Cheers guys and KUTGW.

Club colours are factored into the crowds but if the consensus is that it's too subtle we will look at rebalancing it for a patch.

Living in Manchester I don't get many opportunities to follow my side Tottenham.

I've been to both away ends of Man City and Man United the last few seasons and the majority of the fans in the away end are wearing the colours of their sides home shirt with a few others wearing away colours.

It would be great to have these fans wearing our teams colours in the away end with the odd smattering of our teams away colours and neutral colurs for realism.

miles sorry for asking a repeat question but it has not been answered but is there any news on the nightmatches with floodlights???? will the lights be changed from night to day games or will it be similar to the slight diffrence in fm09.

also after being a campaigner for a better match day experience i have to say this looks very good the whole thing looks good.

One other question will the away fans always be in the same position at my home ground like they are irl???

After the first goal and the change of camera perspective nearly all viewers behind the goal disappeared. Must have been a boring match?^^

To be honest, in my eyes the 3D view can't keep up with the FIFA Manager 3D match yet as far as animations are concerned. But then again I prefer a 3D view that shows what has been calculated over a 3D view that lacks proper calculation just to make the animations look good. Since I don't really watch matches in 3D it won't bother me anyway. Just want to say that it's amazing that you developed the 3D match engine up to that point so fast.

After the first goal and the change of camera perspective nearly all viewers behind the goal disappeared. Must have been a boring match?^^

That was the opposite end of the stadium where the away fans were. The other end was still as full as ever

Archived