FM2010 blogs #27 - Achievements. And 2 new match engine videos.

• SI Staff
Hey Miles,

The match engine video's look a whole better now compared to last month. The stadiums do add to the overall feel of a match. However what I am missing:

1. Are there skyboxes in the bigger club stadiums? Or is this something for FM2011?

2. Will the seats always be gray or will they have the colours of the homeplaying team?

1. No skyboxes, no. Possibly something for FM11 - those meetings haven't happened yet!

2. The are grey. There was a huge debate here about it, and it's something that if we're going to change, we're going to do properly. So grey won out out of the options.

Question: Would I be able to install through steam to avoid having to have the disk in the DVD-drive all the time, and turn OFF the achievements?

I expect there is a way to do it, but I don't know how personally.

The steam only achievements is lame, theres no reason whatsoever why this couldnt be done for non steam users and seems like its designed to push users onto registering with steam.

There is a rather massive reason why this couldn't be done for non-Steam users. It's a Steam system, only available through Steam. We coded the achievements, but the underlying code behind it is not ours, nor is it something we are planning on spending our time coding.

We'd rather spend time making the game, rather than adding stuff that is already there from others that we can use free of charge.

Looking superb, loving the net bulging and the crowds. The stadiums are such an improvement and IMO add to the experience.

One question, could you turn the stadiums, or certain features such as crowds off to get better performance on a lower end machine?

Yes.

Miles, I have a question. Its not entirely related to this blog in particular, but in 09 there were some PPM's that did not work, such as 'likes to lob keeper' and a few others. Have they been fixed for 010? I apologise if this has been answered before.

Great job with the videos, the match engine looks fantastic.

I'm told they are fixed. So I hope they are. There are some new ones too, I'm told.

Please Miles in FM 2010 add option that will turn off shadows of the stands. I hate to watch games with half of the pitch very dark and half in normal light. I want to see stands but I don't want to see the shadows of them on my pitch.

I think that many people have the same probem.

You can argue that one with our match engine team :)

A video of a game from England would be nice. As I have no idea who any of those teams were

Licensing issues limit the teams we can use.

Miles has the 2d been improved in any way at all since 09,?

The match engine drives 2d and 3d views. Therefore the 2d is better because the match engine is better.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not too bothered with achievements as I dont really play online so its not something I'm that interested in

You dont have to be online when playing the game if you've installed with steam so I think you'll probably still get the achievements if your offline but if I am wrong then Miles or someone else please correct me.

Why aren't the fans wearing their teams colours? Not all of them but some at least should.

I'd imagine that is similar to the seat colours in that 'it's something that if we're going to change, we're going to do properly.' but it is not in the game yet.

Give them time ;)

Just watched the video and I was completely taken by surprise to see the goal net move now. I've been wishing for it for quite some time (and made requests about it) and I am just speechless. It makes the match view much more entertaining as well as "polished" which I think was definitely the right theme for this year.

What I did notice was, in the 1st video, the goal net doesn't move during the replay of a goal. Look at about 6:45 to 6:50 and you will see what I mean. Not a deal breaker, but something worth mentioning. Apologies if it has been mentioned already.

Now, if we could see some nice tricks/feints, even in their simplest form, that would just be icing on the cake.

Edit: Just saw the 2nd video. The penalty seemed a bit odd. The goalkeeper didn't dive (seemed to be the case in FM 09, at least from my experience) and the goal net didn't bulge.

LOVE the nets :)

Just tell me, in the videos I haven't seen... Well this is hard to explain, you know when the ball goes for a goal kick behind the goal and it's passed back to the keeper? Is it only me or there is no more of the ball going through the net, instead it seems it's pased around.

Have there been any changes to the highlight modes, e.g extended, key? What I'd like to see for the future is a detailed option similar to what CM10 has that allows the user to specify the type of highlights they what to watch.

The match engine looks good.. there can still be more animations (the manager.. the referee raising his arms for the advantage rule.. animations for substitutions and so on) but I know that they will come some time in the future.

I noticed the lazy goalkeeper not diving, too. I hope that is not a bug.. but good work, SI.

Looks quality. I love the fact that the fans celebrate and away fans as well! What was up with the referree in the first game though. Sending off 3 players at the same time for the same team!! Ha ha.

A quick question for anyone at SI re the stadiums. If I create a stadium will I get the options to make 4 sides, with or without corners etc? What about when you increase or reduce the capacity in existing stadiums would that show in the game?

1. No skyboxes, no. Possibly something for FM11 - those meetings haven't happened yet!

2. The are grey. There was a huge debate here about it, and it's something that if we're going to change, we're going to do properly. So grey won out out of the options.

Thanks for your answer Miles. A stadium editor would be nice perhaps for FM2011 :)

I.m.o. it is a missed opportunity not having the fans and seats in the right colours and not having skyboxes. When adding new features to FM, they should be the best they can possible be instead of putting in it because we want it to be there. The stadiums now look like a compromise, it is nice to have them in but are not really adding to the realism of the club we are managing. Every stadium will be a grey shaped box, just the corners and size might vary. I completely understand the fact that it was impossible to get licensing for stadiums around the world. Having added skyboxes would however have added to the professional look of a stadium and adding the right colours of the seating would have given the feeling that a team is truly playing in it's homestadium. I mean it as a compliment that I don't think it is SI standard to put something in the game as a compromise. Last year there were no stadiums because SI had its focuse on the 3d match engine. When you announced stadiums would be in FM2010 I had higher hopes, so in that regard I felt let down. It was the icing on the fm cake I was hoping for.

However of course it first and foremost is all about 3d match experience and I am glad to see improvement there, although FM09 was also very satisfactory in that aspect. Still looking forward to the game mainly because of a better 3d match experience and of course the possibility of creating your own new cups.

In the first video, I noticed the assistant flagging for the direction of the throw. Has that been in the game before and I've just not noticed or is it new?

That must be new as it definitely was'nt in FM2009, the linesman would just run up and down the line :)

Why does everyone issue a string of complaints about the way the match engine looks? Isn't it much more important that they've improved the AI? It seems to me that the player representations move much more realistically and that the passing and shot taking and goal keeping all have been significantly improved. Yeah we'd love to see all the things many users have criticized SI for not including in this updated version of their best in the biz match engine but lets not lose sight of the fact that they're pouring countless hours into producing what is the finest management sim ever created.

Only half way through the first video atm, but it looks fantastic. The football is so realistic, it's amazing.

OMG THERE'S A NET EFFECT! :D

As others have said, I think it's time to change completely to 3D this year.

Looking good, Loving the fact that the net actually bulges when you score a goal.

Shame about all the seats/stands in every stadium all being grey, Was hoping it would be the home teams colours. Every match home or away will get repeatif after a while with the stands/fans looking exactly the same.

The Home/Away fans split looks great, Makes it look much more realistic. The 3D match is alot smoother like the fact the player picks up the ball and places it down when taking a free kick.

I can't wait even more now, Roll on next Friday ...

This all looks fantastic. Now imagine how much more immersive this will feel if there was proper crowd noise and realistic football sounds. ;)

Also, a stadium editor would be a real bonus. Just like I'm sure there'll be many fans who will do a great job creating realistic leagues that are not currently offered by SI, I have no doubt that fans would be able to create stadiums that resemble closely the real stadia. :)

Regarding the achievements, I find it superfluous, but I see no reason why anyone would freak out over them. If you don't care for them, you can just ignore it. Having played my fair share of Team Fortress 2 or Left 4 Dead, I can assure that it doesn't detract from the experience one iota, and if anything gets you more interested in the game.

EDIT: One small criticism, maybe it's my poor eyesight, but it seems to me that the spectators in the stands are not in the same scale as the players in the field - they seem bigger.

That must be new as it definitely was'nt in FM2009, the linesman would just run up and down the line :)

It is new - I've gone back and played a game tonight since I saw that and the ball rolled out at the linesmans feet and he stood there and did nothing - another small thing that makes the ME more realistic :thup:

Here is what I think the achievements will be:

He’s signed! - Sign a player.

Clean sheet - Don't concede in one (or X matches in a row) match

Hat-trick - Get a hattrick from player Y

What a goal! - Win goal of the month award

Top of the class - Complete a manager exam (new feature?)

You’re up! - Get a promotion

Cup glory! - Win a domestic cup

Champions! - Win the league

Double hat-track - Get six goals from player Y (assuming track is a typo)

Team performance - Every player has at least average rating of 7.0

International superstar - Nurture a 50 cap player

Park the bus - Win 1-0 with 30% possession

Comeback king! - Score two stoppage time goals

Star man - Have a seven star rating in every training category

Goal machine - Have player Y to score 150 club goals

Unstoppable force - Win 20 matches in a row

Iron curtain - Play in former soviet block country

Scoring streak - Have a player Y score in 5 consecutive matches

Unbeatable! - Avoid losing in 20 matches

Parked the tank - Win 1-0 with 20% possession

National service - Manage a national team

The boss - Yell at players so loud that they become deaf

Superb strike - Kick a boot at players eye (minigame?)

Best in Europe - Win EC tournament

Loyalty card - Manage a club for 20 years

Qualified - Qualify for EC or WC

Cup streak - Win two domestic cups in a row OR Win two WC/EC in a row

Golden boot - Have a player Y to win golden boot in Europe

Best in the world - Have Ballon d'or winner in your squad

Super cup glory - Win a Super Cup

Champions streak - Win two leagues in a row

All around the world - Manage on every continent

You’re on fire - Get fired

Do the double - Win two trophies in a season

Domination - Win five times against opposition Z

Part of the furniture - Manage a club so long you grow into the seat

Trophy hoarder - Win 15 trophies

Best in the business - Top the national/continental manager list

Freedom of the country - Resign from national team

On top of the world - Top the international manager list

Legend - Get to list of national legends (new feature?)

Invincible! - Go whole season unbeated

First victory - Win a match \o/

Confederations winner - Win a Confederations Cup

Highlight reel - Get goal of the season award

Splashing the cash - Spend £200m on players in one window

Value for money - Sign a future Ballon d'or winner on free

Club legend - Get to list of club legends

Cash to burn - Have £1b in a bank

Well travelled - Manage in 10 different teams

Continental king - Win a continental club competition

The greatest - Be me (Only I can achieve this)

World renowned - Have a world class reputation

The professor - Give certain comments to the press

English hero - Win a WC with said country

Scottish hero - Win a WC with said country

French hero - Win a WC with said country

Italian hero - Win a WC with said country

Spanish hero - Win a WC with said country

Brazilian hero - Win a WC with said country

now in a right thread

From what was posted of earlier match engine footage about a month ago, you've taken great strides to get to where you are now. Well done SI. I actually had a little giggle to myself on the second video, when the away team score and there small section of fans start going nuts. Though it was great, against the backdrop of home fans.

is it my imagination or did the fans that had being going mental in the stand after the first (possibly only, didnt watch the whole vid) goal in the first video almost completely disappear when the camera view was changed to 'Main stand'?

• SI Staff
Really?

For a match engine video? And don't you have a license for the football league anyway? You certainly have player photos out of the box for it

Yes, we have a football league license. And they have approval rights on anything that is used promotionally. So I could have done football league videos, but wouldn't have been able to show them to you for a week.

Miles, when will the new website be online?? :p

Ask Duffy.

Personally I think it looks great, i think the gameplay has improved no end. I particularly like the tunnels in the stand, they are a sweet touch. However, i still think the keepers diving et needs to be imroved, the balls in the air always go to feet directly, when you score the fans jump up ultra quickly, and when the players run it looks a bit unrealistic, hope i come to change my views, but at the momemnt, thats what i think. How about you?

love the net rippling effect, I'm very tempted to use the 3D engine now because it looks to have improved several times over since 09.

Looking forward to the demo and of course the full game!

Player cam is just a debug camera view only available for SI, that option wont be there in the release.

That's a shame. I was getting all excited about the Player Cam. Miles said in todays blog that these videos are the real deal so I was assuming that what we see in these videos are what we can expect in the game...

Miles, can you confirm if the Player Cam will be in the game?

i think that the game is very fantastic it looks great so far, but the player in the air play the ball before it comes to him (not every time) but it's a little bug and i wish to see player skills ( i don't see any skills from any player even in fm09) i think this is very important thing that's all

i personally love it, we are kinda clutching at straws when we mention things like fans jump up too early

after all the game is about your own team and players... the crowd is just for show

if i'm watching my team i don't even notice what the crowd are doing, although i do agree it makes a nice added touch if you like cosmetics

Archived