FM2010 announcement

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure the usability of the new skin is just the freshly squeezed wonderkid, but man, what art director makes these look like 90s shareware occasionally? :D On second impression: the actual layout looks super organized, actually, if such is possible with so many stats and numbers getting thrown around!

All in all, looking good. Whether this will be the one that makes me kiss FM08 goodbye we'll see. :)

i want to speak to miles jacobssen now plz for to make fm10 the best it can be ive got the best ideas please this is no windup

I hear EA need a little help with the new fifa management.....

In all seriousness, these are good ideas but not good for football manager, the vast majority of fans wouldn't want them

It's great to have new features in the game...

It's possible to be apart of the group of beta testers?

I bought the previous version... why doesn't exist an upgrade, with lower costs, to new versions!!! It's hard to buy, every year, a complete version of the game, I played FM2006 until this year... because I didn't bought the other's versions.

Another thing, why the historic/reputation doesn't pass across different versions. We have to start all again on each version.

It's great to have new features in the game...

It's possible to be apart of the group of beta testers?

I bought the previous version... why doesn't exist an upgrade, with lower costs, to new versions!!! It's hard to buy, every year, a complete version of the game, I played FM2006 until this year... because I didn't bought the other's versions.

Another thing, why the historic/reputation doesn't pass across different versions. We have to start all again on each version.

The beta testing team was decided a while back. Really doubt they'll be letting anyone in this year.

It was mentioned that there were several new stadium types for the 3D. What kinds exactly?

One thing that took away from the realism for me was the typical "British" style stadiums for every game. Most stadia in the Mediteranian and other regions like Africa have no cover on the stands. Is this something we can expect?

One small question/suggestion about the match analysis screenshots...

The colours for the type or shot . I.e Goal, Missed, Woodwork, Saved, all seem abit too close and might be difficult to differentiate the different shades of red at first glance without having to constantly look at the Key to decern the which shade of red means what.

I am very much liking this feature of seeing each individual players contributions and shots /passes in greater detail. Everything else looks fantastic also! Definately looking forward to the Demo!

Just to reinforce this point!!!

Loan to buys are a part of the football world, and therefore we will continue to include them in the game. Whether you use them or not is up to you!

I think he's probably saying that the way they are implemented is rubbish, and needs work to be brought up to the standard of straight transfers. (Not my opinion, just offering an alternative on what his could have been)

i want to speak to miles jacobssen now plz for to make fm10 the best it can be ive got the best ideas please this is no windup

This is from Miles first post and seems quite apt for some of your ideas:

Thirdly, and possibly most controversially, what we’ve found over the years is that the customer is not always right. They might think they are, but if you look at these forums, there is nearly always an opposite point of view somewhere, normally on the same thread. It’s part of our job to decide what is right, and what is wrong, with those opinions, and we know we cannot please all people all of the time. But, again, we do try.

Had a proper look at some of the screenshots and the Match Analysis interests me the most. Theres a LOT of information presented, but my worry is that in it's present form there won't be any helpful guide/tip in game on how to react on the information that you have available to you.

An example of the passes a player made during the match and whether they were successfull, as evidenced by this screenshot, would provide some valuable information to some, but merely bombard others with information that they can't act on.

The same could be said for shots attempted by a player. If he's missing a lot of his shots, it would be very beneficial for some Assistant Manager advice to followup on the Match Analysis, i.e. i can see he's missing a lot of long-shots or long-range passes but how would i act on that? Perhaps the Assistant Manager could come in and give advice to those who need it?

To anyone at SI, will there be any feedback from the Assistant Manager with regards to the Match Analysis? Would be quite useful :)

The last time SEGA provided bandwidth, we used up their total allocation for the year in less than 2 days. It's expensive stuff, bandwidth.

Crikey - that's the first time i've heard that stat. FM players are clearly a voracious bunch!

There were unofficial mirrors within half an hour of the patch going live, although I don't personally understand your aversion to STEAM or BitTorrent. Each to their own I guess.

Looks like I'll have to overcome my luddite tendencies and learn to love STEAM then. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond and good luck with the new release.

Really pleased with the announcement, giving the game a good polish up is what most of the FM community wanted to see, but also bringing in the quick tactics to win back the support of those who want to pick-up-and-play and find the sliders a chore.

Mostly looking forward to seeing how the new editor works, considering I've just spent a ridculous amount of hours/days/weeks creating my own whole-World-into-Europe database, now have just 11 weeks left to actually play it before getting the new game!

alright dave but wod u not like to see audio commentry in 3d match

No. It was in an earlier version of the game and it was terrible.

You have already been told not to keep posting this in this thread. Stop it now.

Also. Stop using text language. If your terrible spelling is due to 'typing too quickly' then slow it down enough to spell properly.

ok paul tell me why u wouldent want audio commentry in mathes

It would add very little to the game, having vast audio files with all the commentary for all the different languages the game offers there'd be no room for the game. I'm not saying its a bad idea, its just not suitable for football manager.

Great news about the editor, something I've been wanting for years.

Couple of quick questions though.

1) With the editor can you increase or decrease the number of teams in each divison of the default leagues? Or change the prize money, foreigner rule etc?

2) When creating new leagues how much freedom do you have with regards to the rules. For example if I wanted to create a NFL style league 8 divisons of 4 with play offs to determine the winner (Like MLS but bigger) would this be possible?

3) Say you create a Estonian league can you make it so the correct teams qualify for Europe, ie how many qualify for the Champions League, how many for Europa League

Sorry if you have answered any of these questions I looked but didn't see anything.

Getting excited already at the prospects of all these new leagues.

The editor features are, in my opinion, really big news.

As a editor fan (too bad i can't test it on the Demo) i love the idea of creating new leagues.

As i was reading all the posts i've noticed that there are some answers that weren't answered:

1st - If we can create a new league for a country, can we create country cups or other custom cups (like League cups, zone cups, super cups or other kind of cups) in this country?

2nd - In the possibility to create new lower leagues, what kind of flexibility we will have on the divisions with multiple series? (like Portuguese 2nd division that have 4 series, and the Portuguese 3rd Division that have even more series, can the promotion/relegation system be created?)

3rd - What about junior and lower ranks? Can a correct system be implemented with this new editor?

Thanks in advance for any reply and congratulations for the big announcements!

I am so glad to see this improvement, this editor mode-creating leagues. As I am from Croatia, and our League is destroyed (by Igor Štimac - I am sure you English know who he is) from this season - 16 clubs - I am definitely going to create league consisted of 10 clubs. And I have one question for Miles - will there be possible to create Regional League, consisted of clubs from Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia and other countries from Balkans, and will there be possible to create International competitions and change their system, coz I d like to create Gold Cup or Copa America to have 8 teams????????? Please answer me, please.

I can't wait to play it :eek: :eek: :eek:

ok then question about the new game, is the 3d match engine going to be improved. eg: lagging in match fixed and more realistic football being played

Hi,

As Miles said there are a lot of animations being added to the match so the realism of the football will be improved. The lagging in match could be a hardware issue, but a lot of work has gone into speeding up the game all round. Welcome to the forums, and thanks for taking on board the advice to not use text speak, even if it could have been offered more politely ;o)

Great news about the editor, something I've been wanting for years.

Couple of quick questions though.

1) With the editor can you increase or decrease the number of teams in each divison of the default leagues? Or change the prize money, foreigner rule etc?

2) When creating new leagues how much freedom do you have with regards to the rules. For example if I wanted to create a NFL style league 8 divisons of 4 with play offs to determine the winner (Like MLS but bigger) would this be possible?

3) Say you create a Estonian league can you make it so the correct teams qualify for Europe, ie how many qualify for the Champions League, how many for Europa League

Sorry if you have answered any of these questions I looked but didn't see anything.

Getting excited already at the prospects of all these new leagues.

You can do it already, on old Managers, by changing national coefficients so you can make that Croatia or some other country like that has 4 teams in CL, and Italy or England to have 1 team in CL

This game looks awesome! I just have a few questions about adding lower divisions in the editor. The swedish fifth division, for example, consists of 12 different regional leagues. Will I be able to make all 12, and make them regional? So that only teams from the north of Sweden can play in the northern leagues?

Mind blown. Great job to the guys at SI. Looks like a significant upgrade. There are many developers who would have continued to milk us (customers) by not upgrading it and just updating the database for newer versions, but not you guys. Having FM09 be my first FM game, the new tactical wizard is very enticing (even though I have gotten the hang of the sliders, but still, I like the simplicity).

This really does look excellent.

I have been playing Football Manager (and the original Championship Manager) for more years than I care to admit to (too old and and slow now to play the game for real, and too poor to go to many live matches;). The series has never really failed to deliver, each new release offering (to varying degrees) new features that have only enhanced the overall Manager experience.

Over the years you and your team's commitment to making the game the best it could be has been exemplary. FM2009, as far as I'm concerned (and it seems the vast majority of gamers) is the benchmark for simulation/manager games.

Looking at and reading about the changes being made for FM2010 you appeared to be on course for another incredible leap into making the game as realistic as possible; I am especially excited about the improvements to the tactical side of the game; having just read 'Inverting the Pyramid' all about the development of tactics in the game, I have tried, with some success I must say, to implement some changes to my tactics used in FM2009, based on some of the information in the book; from what I can see FM2010 will allow even greater scope and flexibility to realistically create and implement tactics that will only enhance players enjoyment of the game (and a great boon for a sad old couch potato like me!). A very exciting development; really looking forward to the release.

Congratulations Mr Jacobson to you and your team!

how good wod it be aswell if there were sponsers like approachin ur club like for the season and u have to choose ur sponsor like nike sayin we wnt to mke your shuiirts nd that nd sells for goalies
tbh i love that idea

Surely choosing a sponsor is the responsibility of the board and not the manager isn't it?

Got to say - very dissapointed.

I was eagerly anticipating a few drastic changes to the game or some storming new features, but alas we have been given a "polished" fm 2009.

With the release of the new championship manager imminent I feel SI have missed a trick as Championship Manager has stated it will be putting the "fun feeling" from cm 01/02 into the new game.

I do feel that the fm series has become like an exam recently and this is the first one that I do not anticipate buying. I will be purchasing the championship manager 2010 game as I feel I will be able to "enjoy" this a lot more.

I understand I may be wrong and I am aware that all new features have not yet been revealed however I feel this series has now taken another step back.

UI and the tactics module were far and away the features people were screaming for an overhaul post fm09. Im not sure if you were here for thta (maybe over on the CM forums ?) but have a look back and you can clearly see SI have addressed the 2 biggest issues the series had remaining

Wow. Just wow. Stunning. Someone said it looks 'fresh' and that's the perfect description for it. What I love is the tactics creator, because its going to give you so much freedom to really go to town on how you want to have your team play the football. All the other features and touches ooze class. About time you added the 'touchline instructions' ;)

Cannot wait for this.

Good work fellas.

Been waiting for this announcement - I even expected it would come this week! Looks brilliant, can't wait for the demo. I'm already making my perfect formation in my mind for the new Tactics Creator, and I like the idea of being able to tweak it with quick in-game changes.

However, I'd like to know more about the how the training and media and player interaction has been changed (or not changed) in the new game, but I suppose you can't talk about unannounced features and it will be mentioned in later blogs and all that. Am I right?

Sounds like a very very good prospect, will be looking for to the demo and hopefully the release, just two questions if I may

1) You say you can not combine two nations in one league? Does this not already occur in the game in the atleast the Italian leagues,(ie San marino being a seperate nation yet playing in Italy)

2) Can international leagues/competitons be created?

Damn you..... I was going to hold back and wait and not purchase FM 2010 untill a few patches have been realeased.

Just read and scanned the new anouncements well and took a snoop at the screenshots. With more 3D animations, League editing tools; being able to shout from the touchline as in create more bespoke formations, team tactics with the feel of control on the fly, how very dare you SI, I am going to have to purchase this on launch day damn it. I am very impressed and it isn't even out till the end of October.

Keep up the good work guys, it sure looks like this will be a real gem of a game! \o/ I simply cannot wait.

Surely choosing a sponsor is the responsibility of the board and not the manager isn't it?

Exactly.

This particular feature actually works quite well in Sega's own "Let's Make a Soccer Team!" which came out here in the UK a few years back, and is part of the "Let's Make" series.

In it at the start of each new season (you are the chairman of a football team you create in a town of your choosing) your shirt sponsors approach you with a choice of different kits based around your team's colours and you get to pick the one you like the most.

What a shame that the match engine in that game was so utterly horrific. I would actually literally* die for a chairman game with a good match engine. Maybe Sega could force SI into making a "Let's Make a Soccer Team" game. :p

*not literally

• SI Staff
Miles can you or another member of team clarify something for me please. Would I be right in thinking that if we can run FM09 well/fast on our current PC Specs, then we should be ok with FM10?

Yes.

Been waiting for this announcement - I even expected it would come this week! Looks brilliant, can't wait for the demo. I'm already making my perfect formation in my mind for the new Tactics Creator, and I like the idea of being able to tweak it with quick in-game changes.

However, I'd like to know more about the how the training and media and player interaction has been changed (or not changed) in the new game, but I suppose you can't talk about unannounced features and it will be mentioned in later blogs and all that. Am I right?

You are right, yes.

This really does look excellent.

I have been playing Football Manager (and the original Championship Manager) for more years than I care to admit to (too old and and slow now to play the game for real, and too poor to go to many live matches;). The series has never really failed to deliver, each new release offering (to varying degrees) new features that have only enhanced the overall Manager experience.

Over the years you and your team's commitment to making the game the best it could be has been exemplary. FM2009, as far as I'm concerned (and it seems the vast majority of gamers) is the benchmark for simulation/manager games.

Looking at and reading about the changes being made for FM2010 you appeared to be on course for another incredible leap into making the game as realistic as possible; I am especially excited about the improvements to the tactical side of the game; having just read 'Inverting the Pyramid' all about the development of tactics in the game, I have tried, with some success I must say, to implement some changes to my tactics used in FM2009, based on some of the information in the book; from what I can see FM2010 will allow even greater scope and flexibility to realistically create and implement tactics that will only enhance players enjoyment of the game (and a great boon for a sad old couch potato like me!). A very exciting development; really looking forward to the release.

Congratulations Mr Jacobson to you and your team!

/me goes off to order "Inverting the pyramid" to check that it's easier to make the learnings from it in FM2010 compared to FM2009.

As for those asking questions about the editor, I don't think it's right that I answer those as I haven't used it as much as some others here - Michael B will answer them in due course, although it may be tomorrow now.

Meanwhile, I'm off home, so will be offline for a couple of hours, but will be back online later to answer more questions. Thank you all for the feedback on the announcement so far!

Archived