FM2010 announcement

Cant be bothered reading all the way through this thread to see if anybody has asked this question. So I will ask it anyway.

Have SI tried to get rights from the Premier League to be able to use the Premiership teams clubs crests? I find that as big & as popular as this game is without you boasting about the fact. I feel that you should now be in a posistion to negotiate with the F.A. now to get use of the club badges.

EA have the exclusive license for a few years yet. It's not up for renewal each year.

Unfortunately, due to spending so much time on the games this year, I haven't been working much on my time machine so no, that's not possible. Sorry.

That is the aim.

Thanks for that reply. I cant see the rights ever being wrestled from EA then.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FM09 was the best game in the series, I am now about to hit the 800 hours time mark playing it.

FM10 looks amazing from the description and the shots. I thought a lot in the last months what can be improved and amazingly you hit the mark on many of my thoughts, specially the pitchside instructions and the interface overhaul.

Looking at these screenshots I don't think I felt so excited about an FM release since moving from CM2 to CM3 which also included a huge interface change.

Few remarks about the screenshots:

* The news page - the section below (Related news) looks a bit crowded, I wonder if you can arrange it differently so we wouldn't need to go through so much test to get the essence of the news.

* What is the reason you decided on the tilted pitch on the tactics screen? It doesn't seem that the player figures are 3D. I think the way it shows in the Match Analysis screen is better.

* The match analysis looks amazing!!!

I look forward to see more of this good stuff. And btw thanks for the inside look into SI in your post Miles.

One quick question: will the start date for the game be "moveable" e.g. will I be able to specify a start of July 1st 2009 or July 3rd 2009 or even July 1st 2016 (or whatever date)? If not, perhaps this could be a future feature...

Thanks,

John.

Had a proper look at some of the screenshots and the Match Analysis interests me the most. Theres a LOT of information presented, but my worry is that in it's present form there won't be any helpful guide/tip in game on how to react on the information that you have available to you.

An example of the passes a player made during the match and whether they were successfull, as evidenced by this screenshot, would provide some valuable information to some, but merely bombard others with information that they can't act on.

The same could be said for shots attempted by a player. If he's missing a lot of his shots, it would be very beneficial for some Assistant Manager advice to followup on the Match Analysis, i.e. i can see he's missing a lot of long-shots or long-range passes but how would i act on that? Perhaps the Assistant Manager could come in and give advice to those who need it?

I agree with this. It's all good in principle but what is it really going to tell us? How will it link in with the games other features or will it just be static, sitting in the background? I'm expecting the latter in this version. It just seems more informational rather than something I could actually act on. Like when Andy Gray shows it on Sky. Nice to look at but I can't do much with it.

I wonder if real life managers use something similar and what they actually do to act upon the info? I'd genuinely like some tips as it's potentially a very powerful feature.

Got to say - very dissapointed.

I was eagerly anticipating a few drastic changes to the game or some storming new features, but alas we have been given a "polished" fm 2009.

With the release of the new championship manager imminent I feel SI have missed a trick as Championship Manager has stated it will be putting the "fun feeling" from cm 01/02 into the new game.

I do feel that the fm series has become like an exam recently and this is the first one that I do not anticipate buying. I will be purchasing the championship manager 2010 game as I feel I will be able to "enjoy" this a lot more.

I understand I may be wrong and I am aware that all new features have not yet been revealed however I feel this series has now taken another step back.

yep fm2010 is where it all goes wrong for fm ..just like it did with cm 4 .. now with the new cm2010 hitting the market .it looks way better than fm now

for me fm has lost its appel ..even the new skin looks out dated .the sort of skin your see in fm2006 or 07 . for me its cm2010 all the way

I'm sure you know by now that SI won't tell you features just because you ask for them - you'll have to wait until the blogs and podcasts come out!

technically it's listed as a feature - albeit under the handheld version.

so technically it's been announced, meaning we can ask ;)

someone already asked but got no answer so I'll ask again.

Seeing as testimonials have been added to FMH for the PSP, have they been introduced to the PC version? If so this is fantastic news and something myself and a lot of others have been begging for in FM for years!

Considering SI have announced it is on the PSP version than surely a yes or no for this is allowed?

The League Editor could become the most important addition in years for the game... Just one question to be clear about it:

are newly created leagues transferable across databases? I.e., if I create a League in Nigeria and my buddy simultaneously creates a League in Ecuador - will we be able to somehow import each other's created league? If it is not possible to import created leagues, this would make all editing extremely unhandy...

Just a quick question you mentioned there are going to be crowds in the stadiums, from the screenshots there are no visable people only row seating. So im just wondering are there going to look like the subs on the bench for instance or are they going to be moving alittle, or wearing home/away team colours? also with stadium increases are there going to be any changes in the seats for example different colours in stand seating or all plain white? not sure if this is going to be mentioned in later blogs, but il ask anyway.

It’s great to be able to finally start talking about Football Manager 2010 and Football Manager Handheld 2010 today

I must say, I am both rigid and fluid at this announcement! ;)

question though, (don't recall seeing it in the thread) - activation?!?

are we back to ye-olde-tried-and-trusted-dvd-in-drive method, or are we trying the hilarious activation scenarios, and all they entail, again this year?!? :confused:

I seem to recall awaiting 2 days to get FM09 activated online last year, and that combined with a telephone "support" line that was mostly non-operational - ho-hum.... :rolleyes:

I mean, WHO plays CDs now anyway - no big deal with keeping the disc in the PC....

maybe you can run with both options - either activate online (or whatever), OR ensure that the game DVD is in the drive?? :confused:

I must say, I am both rigid and fluid at this announcement! ;)

question though, (don't recall seeing it in the thread) - activation?!?

are we back to ye-olde-tried-and-trusted-dvd-in-drive method, or are we trying the hilarious activation scenarios, and all they entail, again this year?!? :confused:

I seem to recall awaiting 2 days to get FM09 activated online last year, and that combined with a telephone "support" line that was mostly non-operational - ho-hum.... :rolleyes:

I mean, WHO plays CDs now anyway - no big deal with keeping the disc in the PC....

maybe you can run with both options - either activate online (or whatever), OR ensure that the game DVD is in the drive?? :confused:

yeah, PLEASE just go with dvd in the drive.

did SI actually save money in terms of less pirating last year? i doubt it. people still cracked it and others lent the dvd to mates which made a mockery of it anyway.

i can't imagine why sega/si would want to go through all the pain of activation again. not good business sense imo.

I wouldn't expect to see any changes regarding the activation side of the game - more games are getting this and it is going to get more and more efficient, I don't think it will be removed any time soon.
well, it cannot be much worse than last year - glad I didn't take the release day off! :D

• SI Staff
The League Editor could become the most important addition in years for the game... Just one question to be clear about it:

are newly created leagues transferable across databases? I.e., if I create a League in Nigeria and my buddy simultaneously creates a League in Ecuador - will we be able to somehow import each other's created league? If it is not possible to import created leagues, this would make all editing extremely unhandy...

Yes, you would be able to give your friend your Ecuador file and he would be able to add that to his game without doing anything to his Nigeria file.

will the revamp in screens finally allow us to customise the view of the squad screen? easily selecting what we want to see (goals and value on one screen for example).

this would be a very welcome jump forward amongst all the interface changes and customisation.

Awesome news , love the new interface , a lot of must needed features and improvements were made ( at least the ones i tough it was needed )

I hope the 3D engine looks more like a game instead of a start and stop show.

i hope we get weather this year

and a question are improvements being made on the data research »? i really hope this year i get to play the game without having to fix data issues

There's only been one blog, and it's the post at the top of page 1! From that blog...

"No decision has been made on copy protection yet for the game – we’ve been asked for our recommendation, and that’s been given, but it’s SEGA’s decision, not ours."

From memory, the main problem was due to an attack of some sort that crashed the servers, wasn't it? This then had a knock-on effect to the overloaded phonelines.

The only issue I had was that I couldn't believe no one spotted the font problem on the sleeve. Support for this was good, though, and I was playing within fifteen minutes of the game landing on my doormat (through Unilock). I did have awful problems with Steam when I downloaded the demo so will never use that again.

It should be noted that the copy protection used last year (activation etc.) was pretty succesful in stopping a cracked version of the game. The most notably pirate versions were bug riddled demo extensions.

Hopefully it will be a lot slicker this year though, it would be good if there was non DDoS attack on the activation server. I found no problems when I acvivated (aside from a rouge letter I or 1) but this was a few days later.

I'd reccomend Steam. I was very cynical regardign Steam, having had poor experience in the pasdt with it. But it's pretty good tbh.

I have to say that this looks very impressive.

The fact that Miles has said that there will be as much effort put into polishing existing features as adding new ones is probably the best news for me. This is something I've been wanting to see for a while.

It's also very encouraging that all of the features/improvements announced so far are things that have been asked for on the forums. Such as:

More intuative tactics - this is something that I've been wanting to see for a while and I feel it will help to inject the fun back into FM for many people and also be more realistic than the current slider system. After reading some of the threads about it in here, and seeing many questions/criticisms answered about it, it's something I'm now very excited about.

Match analysis tool - This is something that I and others put forward during FM08 as a possible solution to help people who were struggling to get their tactics right, along with Assistant Feedback. The latter was introduced last year so it's nice to see that the former was also taken on board and brought into the game. I think this will give many users a valuable insight into what their players are doing during a match, and hopefully give them ideas as to why things are /aren't working.

A choice of skins - Again something people have always requested, a good addition.

League creator - Again something that has been requested a lot by the community, and this is one of the more exciting features for many.

New News section - From the moment the news was spit into two different sections people have wanted it back to just one. This new way sounds very promising, particularly if you can choose what news you want in your inbox.

Improved 3D - I never for one moment wanted 3D introduced to the game, when people were asking for it during FM08 I rebuffed these requests saying that it would not help tactically and would simply be a waste of time as 2D showed you everything you needed to know. But I love 3D, and it's the main thing that keeps me playing '09. If this is improved then that can only be a good thing.

The thing that almost stops me playing '09 is the speed and fluidity of the whole thing, so I'm glad to see a mention of areas being optimised to make the game not only faster, but to also make the flow of the game more smooth and intuative.

I'm also impressed with the changes to the development of the game, particularly the testing. SI have taken some criticism about some of the bugs in the game and it's fair play to them to listen and try to improve that.

So all in all it's a big thumbs up from me, and I'm now more excited about this release of FM than I have been for any of the others.

Just one more thing. Say for instance I make the Tunisian league playable. Now I know that IRL the managers there have regions where they do there player shopping, for instance, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Mali, Chad, Nigeria etc..

How is stuff like this accounted for (if at all)? Is it likely the case that if I make Tunisia active, I'll start seeing Norweigens, French players migrating there? Or is there something which gives a bias to certain regions?

I'm pretty sure something like this is accounted for in the current playable leagues, but what about the ones I make active?

Can Ter/someone answer this?

• SI Staff
yep fm2010 is where it all goes wrong for fm ..just like it did with cm 4 .. now with the new cm2010 hitting the market .it looks way better than fm now

Is that the same CM4 that was the best selling game in the whole CM series, followed by 03/04 6 months later which did nearly as well, despite such a quick release time and no PR or marketing from us? Yeah, that really went wrong ;)

Just a quick question you mentioned there are going to be crowds in the stadiums, from the screenshots there are no visable people only row seating. So im just wondering are there going to look like the subs on the bench for instance or are they going to be moving alittle, or wearing home/away team colours? also with stadium increases are there going to be any changes in the seats for example different colours in stand seating or all plain white? not sure if this is going to be mentioned in later blogs, but il ask anyway.

The screenshots are marked "Work In Progress". You'll be able to see more about stadiums and crowds when we blog about them, with (hopefully) lots of videos to watch too.

did SI actually save money in terms of less pirating last year? i doubt it. people still cracked it and others lent the dvd to mates which made a mockery of it anyway.

As I've mentioned a few times, we've made our recommendations, but it's up to SEGA to decide on copy protection and, as yet, they haven't done so.

However, we have some very interesting stats regarding pirated copies vs sold copies, and number of installs per legitimate bought copies (with 5 seats to play with). The average use of each disc was 1.6, which we feel is quite low, so that side of things isn't a problem. Sales were our best ever (that's for any title SI have released) and we have, for once, relatively accurate piracy stats (give or take 20%) which, if I'm given permission to do so, I will release at some point during the blogging process - for now all I can say is that the game not being properly cracked for a few months (rather than a few days before release) is very noticable when you see a graph of how many people were playing pirated copies at which points of the release cycle.

• SI Staff
someone already asked but got no answer so I'll ask again.

Seeing as testimonials have been added to FMH for the PSP, have they been introduced to the PC version? If so this is fantastic news and something myself and a lot of others have been begging for in FM for years!

Considering SI have announced it is on the PSP version than surely a yes or no for this is allowed?

Please see this post:

Oh, and another plea - I won't be answering questions about features that aren't already announced, so if it isn't on the announcement, please be patient and wait for all the announcements to finish. Although that will then answer the question on whether something is in the game or not anyway :)

• SI Staff
Just one more thing. Say for instance I make the Tunisian league playable. Now I know that IRL the managers there have regions where they do there player shopping, for instance, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Mali, Chad, Nigeria etc..

How is stuff like this accounted for (if at all)? Is it likely the case that if I make Tunisia active, I'll start seeing Norweigens, French players migrating there? Or is there something which gives a bias to certain regions?

I'm pretty sure something like this is accounted for in the current playable leagues, but what about the ones I make active?

That will depend I believe on how it is set in the database. If it is set for this to happen, then yes this should occur.

Sorry but are you saying CM4 didn’t go wrong? It’s widely regarded as the worst incarnation of CM / FM and pointing to sales figures doesn’t really tell the full story.

No need to derail the thread. I think what Miles meant was pretty clear - the sales were stellar compared to what had gone before, and its well documented and admitted to (by both Collyer brothers and Miles unless my memory fails me) that the game wasn't where it needed to be at launch.

having seen screenshots will the game carry on playing while changes are made on screen in terms of tv view or will game stop when the manager wants to do something?

also tactics are all of the tactics saved after creation of them in tactics set up screen or does the manager have to save each one. i would like fm2010 to do auto save the tactic straight after it has been set up.

Also division - can i add divisions during the game or are u just trying reduce the number of leagues being played to help ppl with **** pcs.

also philosphy section can you make easier to change that section so u can insert your own philosophy such as totally attack or totally defend and just make the philosophy based on whatever is underneath the rigid and fluid stuff - that does not mean anything to me personally. rigid means what ? basically the team stick to a formation and dont change - fluid -team pass ball around more and move out of position but in most teams the team sticks to same formation only one player does the change in position as he is creative guy that the rest stay in same position at arsenal its arshavin and liverpool gerrard and manu it was ronaldo probably now valencia or nani.

i think you ppl should again at rigid thing as team players might not be play properly if the manager decides to change the formation in a game as almost all prem team play rigid with a couple of creative players.

also dont understand the swearing thing on your blog - i dont see any players being sent off for swearing or anything. the main complaint which ppl swear at si games is the game released with problems when it comes out and there is a patch released immediately after.

also transfers - i always have problems with transfer thanks to a virus my pc has - can you please ensure players have at least one club who wants them as transfer if premiership or bbva or serie a - most of the top flight footballers in main squad and have played games and play games will be looked at for transfers - please give managers a chance to get rid of players they dont want as soon as the game starts and not do loan to buy and also players who are to be sold price advice - advice what price should a player on th market by his agent or newspaper or scout information to the manager.

loan to buy is a load of rubbish and straight transfers are excellent.

• SI Staff
Sorry but are you saying CM4 didn’t go wrong? It’s widely regarded as the worst incarnation of CM / FM and pointing to sales figures doesn’t really tell the full story.

As a game, with masses of hindsight, it was a bug ridden mess, eventually fixed with lots of patches, and completely the opposite to what we're trying to do with FM2010.

From a sales (and reviews) point of view, it was actually a pretty big success, as was it's follow up.

I like the fact there is no massive new features bar the league creator in editor - that will be amazing.. I'd like to see major "polishing" of stuff like team talks and press conferences and maybe tweak the transfer system a little which is almost right now. Great news

And the dark skin - yessssssssssssssssss!

• SI Staff
loan to buy is a load of rubbish and straight transfers are excellent.

Loan to buys are a part of the football world, and therefore we will continue to include them in the game. Whether you use them or not is up to you!

As for your other points, they'll more than likely be dealt with in future blogs.

sounds good- new features are always welcome but i always find it annoying when new features are introduced which dont quite work properly and when there is still work to be done on "new" features from a couple of editions ago. Hopefully this version will see everything working well, ready for a more "ground breaking" FM11.

My hopes for this one are for the media module to work more effectively (hopefully not just being asked the same questions week after week etc) and, being vain, i really want to see it easier to become a clubs favoured personnel, icon, legend etc and, when you leave the club, i hope you arent immediately removed from the list. Media options where you can praise your old club/ slag off their rivals to stay in their good books would also be class

Do this and i will be a very happy beast- i'll definitely be buying the game either way

No need to derail the thread. I think what Miles meant was pretty clear - the sales were stellar compared to what had gone before, and its well documented and admitted to (by both Collyer brothers and Miles unless my memory fails me) that the game wasn't where it needed to be at launch.

I wasn’t trying to derail the thread at all, I was simply replying to a post by Miles I wanted clarification on, which he has given.

yh well bassically this is to miles jacobsen,

firstly id like an improvement of the press conferences because its just so repetiitive. and the 3d needs sorrting with things added like headed clearences nd strong challenges nd like little long balls dwn the wing put nnot so like robottic jus a smooth ball down the pitch nd quick passing and more skills and not so many goals from wide positions it was a joke in 09 nd the net shud move it shud rain nd weather shud be dun like that staduims nd crownd noises like chantin nd stuff nd i think that it wod be great iff at the start of the match the players come from the tunnel nd line up like in rea llife nd managers on the touchline movin around nd stuf. i know this is long but i think it wod be so much better. nd the match play shud jus generally be so much smootherr. nd hpefullly when it says settin up 3d match it doesnt freeze then half the pitch goes black that wat happened to me. thats it rely o yh nd i kno its outa ur hands put any news on the license of teams nd countries yet. cheers hpefully u will replys oon miles

dnt get me wrong i love fm nd will be countin dwn the long hard 78 days :D:)

i know SI won't comment on this but looking at the screen shots i saw the 'player interaction' tab.

would be great if this was reworked to include some more meaningful info that is context specific.

rather than asking to recommend a coach!

Archived