FM2010 announcement

Well, some of the new features sound like they will be quite good.

All the best for it SI, I'm sure you will continue to produce a quality product. :thup:

That said, I intend to go back to my "new FM only every second year" routine (broke it for FM08, which to be honest, seemed to make FM09 a little underwhelming compared to the jump between FM05 and FM07, which seemed awesome), so I will be unlikely to purcahse FM10.

Still, I look forward to some very interesting, and hopefully far more polished, features in FM11 when I get back into a new FM. Who knows, maybe my long-standing requests for improvement regarding media and play interactions might finally make it into the game! :p

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I'm excited over this league editor. USL, PDL, and CSL (Canadian Soccer League), here we come. :D

EDIT:

And one question: I would want to recreate all the Asian leagues that are unplayable in FM. Would I be able to adjust the number of participants in the Asian Champions Leagues, and the other continental club competitions?

Packshots are live too at the same links as the screenshots.

please miles i hope this new shouting from the touchline feature is not going to be stupid like some other manager games like fifa... where you might has well have a control pad and control the players.... ive played fifa manager and when i shouted shoot the player did excactly that im sorry but that aint real... i am so worried about the direction where the game is going remember ur roots miles what made the game forget the fancy graphics thats not why i play ur game so much... i hope the 2d pitch will still be there aswell apart from that mate u are my hero lol

I intend to go back to my "new FM only every second year" routine (broke it for FM08, which to be honest, seemed to make FM09 a little underwhelming compared to the jump between FM05 and FM07, which seemed awesome), so I will be unlikely to purcahse FM10.

I also like to do that, 2005 - 2007 - 2009. Fm09 was a huge disappointment to me. I loved the 3d, but the game wasn't good. I just played it for maybe a month before move back to FM07. But this year I will break the two years rule. This competition editor is the feature I have always wanted in FM.

guys

firstly id like to say how polished even the early shots of the game are looking...

secondly i think the new features are inspired... the biggest critism's ive been hearing about the game is complexity of the tactics etc.. and the fact you've added essentially a working tactics wizard will hlep no end...

my only question is this... will it go along with the usual FM way and be possible to create tactics in depth like we currently have aswell as using the creator?

I cant see you guys no doing so but id thought id ask..

the two biggest things i wanted from the next game were a more polished 3d engine and just general improvement to what was already there... and it seems like I will get what im after...

KUTG guys.. its looking fantastic so far... il be one of the first to buy the game

please miles i hope this new shouting from the touchline feature is not going to be stupid like some other manager games like fifa... where you might has well have a control pad and control the players.... ive played fifa manager and when i shouted shoot the player did excactly that im sorry but that aint real... i am so worried about the direction where the game is going remember ur roots miles what made the game forget the fancy graphics thats not why i play ur game so much... i hope the 2d pitch will still be there aswell apart from that mate u are my hero lol

The shouting system is not like that used in FIFAM (or in FIFA09's "Be a Pro" mode) - it's just a way of making quick tactical changes by "shouting" from the touchline. It's a feature that's been in FML for a while now, so you could probably find a better explanation from someone who has played it, on the FML subforum.

you can see in some of the screenshots the 2d engine is still there mate... jsut thought id help on that one :)

and lets face it... theres no way in hell SI would create a travesty like the engine in fifa manager

not sure if it has been answered couldn't see it anywhere. League creations sounds brilliant, but how will the prize money, finances, and tv revenue work for the teams being in the created league? Is there are limit of prize money you can set and how it is distributed between the sides in the competition?

On a completely different note, will there be any kind of limited/collectors edition of FM10, like you did with FM06 with free mini mouse and mousepad?

Great news. When you listen to community for feedback you can't go bad.

Thanks to the whole SI team.

I have one question:

I am from India. Retail FM09 is just released here in June - a whole 8 months later than EU/US release. Although I had it through Steam at one weekend sale, but I prefer DVD version because of price factor. Steam doesn't count India as a poor country and every game in Steam is priced same as in US. Even Steam weekend-sale price is costlier than currently available retail DVD.

So either I have to buy it from Steam at higher cost or I've to wait till mid of next-year to get retail dvd at lower price. Can you please tell us (Indian FM lovers) whether FM2010 is going to be launched in India sooner this year?

I like the "managerial" aspects of the game and not so much the "playing" of games. Is there a way to "skip" the games completly and have the assistant do it. I know you can just watch it in 2D or text, but don't want to do that, just sim it like all the other games.

As a test I took a national team and not caring about tactics or who my players were I clicked the Continue button as fast as I could each day. As the US national team it tool me over 3 hours to finish 1 physical year(I played all matches on the highest speed as well) Is there going to be a way to speed this up? Maybe an easier way to skip days (beside going on holiday)?

It looks amazing... but I got a question tho.

When I play these days I just watch 2d/3d when playing finals etc, but usualy I play text based and have fast speed etc... So then I wonder how important these sideline shouts will be?

I have to say the screen shots look awesome; personally I am glad SI have made the decision to polish a number of the elements in the game. As others have pointed out the forums are packed with people saying thats exactly what they should do! I genuinely can't believe some people can be negative already!!!!!

The new features also look good, the tactics creator looks impressive - I might not just port over my old 2007 tactics this time ;-)

One question - the screenshots show the user interface looks a lot cleaner - has anything been done to tidy up player histories? One of my requests on the "what would you like forum" was quite in depth about how messy the current approach gets on longer games so just wondering if anything (allbeit cosmetic) has been done in this part of the game?

I'm 33 now, and two years ago I promised the wife that FM08 would be my last. I was tempted back for FM09 with the promise of 3D graphics, the data update and a few new features. She'll go spare if she sees FM10 on our laptop.

Is there any chance this game could be released as FM09 coupled with an FM09 desktop icon for hen-pecked husbands keen to avoid the moaning this game will create?

I'm 33 now, and two years ago I promised the wife that FM08 would be my last. I was tempted back for FM09 with the promise of 3D graphics, the data update and a few new features. She'll go spare if she sees FM10 on our laptop.

Is there any chance this game could be released as FM09 coupled with an FM09 desktop icon for hen-pecked husbands keen to avoid the moaning this game will create?

:D

You'll probably want to ask around in the skinning forum post-release, really. And create your own desktop icon for it. ;)

Well, i havent posted nor visited this site for awhile - after having deinstalled FM09, a little disappointed, but still believing that next version would be much better. After seeing the screenies i must say: "GREAT JOB"! I love the tactics wizards... will be so much fun trying to create tactics that adjust to the players you have at disposal....

Going to take a look at the rest of the screenies... but this alone will make my decision to buy the game so much easier... ;)

Bring it on SI! (hopefully w/out bugs...) :thup:

p.s. i was reading some good things about the next CM series, and wondering if they would get my preference this year... but given these screenies, it will be very hard to be tempted by CM...

SI,

Searched through the entire thread and didn't see anyone ask this question..

In regards to the league creation feature, will I be able to create a Japanese league? This might have some unique issue compared to creating a league in other countries, so bear with me.. Two problems I see:

1.) I'm told there is a J-League vs. K-League "All-star game". Will this be possible to organise with the league creator? This isn't a big deal for me but it's worth asking.

2.) As you know, Japanese teams and leagues already exist on the database, but are altered by the game. These "fake" teams still compete in the Asian Champions League and such.. If I was to create a new Japanese league that is playable, would there be isssue with the existing "fake teams" coming out of Japan? Perhaps I'll simply be able to "activate" the existing competion structure or delete it entirely?

Thank you for your time.

Had a proper look at some of the screenshots and the Match Analysis interests me the most. Theres a LOT of information presented, but my worry is that in it's present form there won't be any helpful guide/tip in game on how to react on the information that you have available to you.

An example of the passes a player made during the match and whether they were successfull, as evidenced by this screenshot, would provide some valuable information to some, but merely bombard others with information that they can't act on.

The same could be said for shots attempted by a player. If he's missing a lot of his shots, it would be very beneficial for some Assistant Manager advice to followup on the Match Analysis, i.e. i can see he's missing a lot of long-shots or long-range passes but how would i act on that? Perhaps the Assistant Manager could come in and give advice to those who need it?

OK I Appreciate that this is a bit a early to debate the tactical nitty gritty of FM10 (only 1 day & 20 screenies down the line) but taking the first screenshot mentioned above as an example, as the manager how do I read that? The player has made various good/poor passes over all lengths (short & long) so he is not particularly good/bad at either however the suggestion I take is that this player panics at the back and makes errors. Generally his passes from an advanced position are more accurate over all distances suggesting that he is more comfortable passing higher up the pitch. My reaction to this would be to discourage passes to him when deep or to maybe make him lump it as far as posible whenever he does get possession?.

Excuse me, but I am especially interested at this early stage because CM08's Prozone feature kind of offers the same deal but is well critisised for giving info of no practical use in relation to that game, ie the question I have asked of FM10 would not have a conclusive answer in CM08.

Any thoughts from "someone in the know"? (I am crying out for a wwfan reply!)

From what I've read, most people are very happy with what has been announced with regards to FM 2010. That's obviously good news for SI and I'm happy for them. I truly am.

However, personally, I'm very, very dissapointed with what has been announced and chances are that FM 2010 will be the first version of CM/FM since CM2 that I won't buy. I was already dissapointed with FM 2009, which I never could get into and which seemed a bit rushed in certain area's. Especially the 3D-engine was a problem for me. It had a slow, clunky feeling to it (for me at least). However, I fully appreciated the fact that implementing a 3D-engine is huge and needs fine-tuning/developing etc. The things I see and read about the 3D-engine in FM 2010 shock me in that sense. Only 100 new animations? And I've seen the screenshots... well, it doesn't look like that much has changed... Still (litterally) rough around the edges.

And it seems that most new features are only interesting for a small group of users. For example, the possibility to design you own leagues is certainly impressive in the technical sense (really, it is), but I won't be using it and I'm sure lots of people won't. And the new user-friendly interface? Well, to be honest, we get a 'new user-friendly interface' every year, don't we? And sure, it looks ok, but I was able to do what I wanted to do in all FM-games to date, so I'm kind of wondering about how high a priority a new user-friendly interface should be for you guys. Things like the tactic-creator are all very nice, but it will only help you do what you could also do without... again, user-friendly stuff. Nothing that actually adds to the game.

When you tell us that FM 2010 will be the 'polished' version of 'FM 2009', it strucks me as odd, because I think it's only natural that the next game in a franchise will have polished all old features. That doesn't take away the need for new features.

Maybe I've got it all wrong and maybe SI have lots of new features in store for us. If that is the case, I would urge them to share that knowledge, because CM 2010 will be out very soon and they look to be spot on this year. Agreed, it would be for the very first time BGS would have it spot on, but nevertheless. I feel that CM is making HUGE steps (and their 3D-engine looks extremely slick), while FM is standing still at best. And despite the fact that different people are supposed to be working on FM 2010 and FM Live, I think it's maybe too much of a coincidence that the year in which FM Live is released, FM has seen hardly any progress...

However, like I said at the beginning, most people seem very happy, so SI have got nothing to worry about. And that's a good thing. SI have made a lot of great games which I have played for so many hours it is disturbing, so good luck to them. Really. And who knows, maybe you will make the same strides BGS have in the future and I can enjoy a SI-product once again. I really hope so.

Some other questions about creating new leagues. For these, I'm thinking about the french leagues :

- Before FM2010, we could play in CFA (4th french league) but we could only begin in National (3rd french league). When creating new lower leagues, will we be able to begin in these lower leagues, or will we be limited to begin to play at the lowest original league ?

- Lowest leagues are limited to some teams (ie regional or local team, like "Division d'honneur" from "Paris Ile de France" area). Will this be possible, or a local team will play in the same division of another local team, even if the two local teams are not from the same local area ?

(Btw, yes, I am planning to add a lot a leagues... If this don't take a entire day to create a league of course... ;-) )

Anyway, thanks a lot for this great add to FM2010...

• SI Staff
From what I've read, most people are very happy with what has been announced with regards to FM 2010. That's obviously good news for SI and I'm happy for them. I truly am.

However, personally, I'm very, very dissapointed with what has been announced and chances are that FM 2010 will be the first version of CM/FM since CM2 that I won't buy. I was already dissapointed with FM 2009, which I never could get into and which seemed a bit rushed in certain area's. Especially the 3D-engine was a problem for me. It had a slow, clunky feeling to it (for me at least). However, I fully appreciated the fact that implementing a 3D-engine is huge and needs fine-tuning/developing etc. The things I see and read about the 3D-engine in FM 2010 shock me in that sense. Only 100 new animations? And I've seen the screenshots... well, it doesn't look like that much has changed... Still (litterally) rough around the edges.

And it seems that most new features are only interesting for a small group of users. For example, the possibility to design you own leagues is certainly impressive in the technical sense (really, it is), but I won't be using it and I'm sure lots of people won't. And the new user-friendly interface? Well, to be honest, we get a 'new user-friendly interface' every year, don't we? And sure, it looks ok, but I was able to do what I wanted to do in all FM-games to date, so I'm kind of wondering about how high a priority a new user-friendly interface should be for you guys. Things like the tactic-creator are all very nice, but it will only help you do what you could also do without... again, user-friendly stuff. Nothing that actually adds to the game.

When you tell us that FM 2010 will be the 'polished' version of 'FM 2009', it strucks me as odd, because I think it's only natural that the next game in a franchise will have polished all old features. That doesn't take away the need for new features.

Maybe I've got it all wrong and maybe SI have lots of new features in store for us. If that is the case, I would urge them to share that knowledge, because CM 2010 will be out very soon and they look to be spot on this year. Agreed, it would be for the very first time BGS would have it spot on, but nevertheless. I feel that CM is making HUGE steps (and their 3D-engine looks extremely slick), while FM is standing still at best. And despite the fact that different people are supposed to be working on FM 2010 and FM Live, I think it's maybe too much of a coincidence that the year in which FM Live is released, FM has seen hardly any progress...

However, like I said at the beginning, most people seem very happy, so SI have got nothing to worry about. And that's a good thing. SI have made a lot of great games which I have played for so many hours it is disturbing, so good luck to them. Really. And who knows, maybe you will make the same strides BGS have in the future and I can enjoy a SI-product once again. I really hope so.

For the record, FM Live has no negative impact on the development of FM10. The team is separate and none of the guys (except me, and I stopped a few years ago) have worked on FM.

In fact, something like the tactics creator was able to be designed, refined, tweaked, tested, refined some more in isolation inside FML and thus makes the 'port' of this to FM much much easier than had FM team resources been put into this from its inception. It's also gone through a live FML release and since then has been refined some more for the forthcoming FML release - and this is also the version you'll be seeing in FM10.

In a similar fashion, the FM10 match engine itself is also currently being tested inside the latest FML Beta Gameworld and providing additional feedback - useful too because it comes from a different angle, that of all teams being human-controlled and no limits to what tactics might be being used. This helps us make sure the match engine is as robust as possible which benefits both games.

Another example, again match engine related - we currently have one of the FML team optimizing the match engine in order to help the FML match servers run efficiently as possible. Again, any work done here directly benefits FM as it is the same code.

So, no, FML hasn't in anyway hindered FM development, but has in fact helped it in some ways.

From those screen shots the games looking very nice. I havent played with the standard skin since FM05 so this is looking one of the best in years.

I'm not too fussed about the 3D updates as I use the old school top down view, but if its better than last time I'll give it a go.

One thing the game must have though : Option to change the colour of the player/ coaches stats. The standard ones weren't that great in recent seasons and I've always gone in and changed the colours to what I've had in the past (for better contrast, makes the game faster IMO)

If there aren't descriptions in the game (I can't remember off the top of my head) there will be guides on the various websites - we're in text lock now, so if there aren't any, they won't be added now. Sorry I can't be more certain!

I guess this has slipped then, *hint* last word of second paragraph should be 'tactiCian'.

I know this has been asked but im so excited by it that i want to be 100% sure ...so i know the maltese national team is in the database as i managed the national team on fm 08 , 09 does this mean that now i can make its leauges playable?

thanks and good luck with the new features

• SI Staff
I guess this has slipped then, *hint* last word of second paragraph should be 'tactiCian'.

Any spelling mistakes will be corrected; to pick up on Miles' post, yes everything is fully described in-game both inside the tactics creator and on the tactics page itself when you're making further changes.

• SI Staff
Hi Can I just ask, is there any chance in the tactics editor we can edit penalites?

So that we can perform the famous Ajaz pen that Johan Cruyff did oh so well, and that Arsenal did with Henry and Pires did oh so badly?

That would be awsome!

Unfortunately not Superman!

I know this has been asked but im so excited by it that i want to be 100% sure ...so i know the maltese national team is in the database as i managed the national team on fm 08 , 09 does this mean that now i can make its leauges playable?

thanks and good luck with the new features

Yes, you can create leagues from every nation present in the game nation database.. so if you are thinking about creating the Antarctic Penguins' League (which EA have bought the rights for anyway), no, but yes you can create the Maltese league, that is something I've longed for all these years.. can't wait to get Floriana back to its glorious history

Yes, you can create leagues from every nation present in the game nation database.. so if you are thinking about creating the Antarctic Penguins' League (which EA have bought the rights for anyway), no, but yes you can create the Maltese league, that is something I've longed for all these years.. can't wait to get Floriana back to its glorious history

yes me too ...Floriana!!!i live there actually...are you from malta?

OK I Appreciate that this is a bit a early to debate the tactical nitty gritty of FM10 (only 1 day & 20 screenies down the line) but taking the first screenshot mentioned above as an example, as the manager how do I read that? The player has made various good/poor passes over all lengths (short & long) so he is not particularly good/bad at either however the suggestion I take is that this player panics at the back and makes errors. Generally his passes from an advanced position are more accurate over all distances suggesting that he is more comfortable passing higher up the pitch. My reaction to this would be to discourage passes to him when deep or to maybe make him lump it as far as posible whenever he does get possession?.

Excuse me, but I am especially interested at this early stage because CM08's Prozone feature kind of offers the same deal but is well critisised for giving info of no practical use in relation to that game, ie the question I have asked of FM10 would not have a conclusive answer in CM08.

Any thoughts from "someone in the know"? (I am crying out for a wwfan reply!)

They're either missing our posts, or staying silent on the issue ;)

I really would like some kind of Assistant Manager feedback though with regards to a potential overload of match statistics, but i fear it's something that might be too late to include in FM10 ?

• SI Staff
Just a pair of questions on Editor

1) With new Editor can we modify Existing League Rules, like making Spanish Liga Adelante 20 Teams instead of 22?

2) This isn't totally clear to me, If I want to add Spanish 3rd Division, can I link and make playable the 18 Groups already in game as Inferior Division to the Spanish Playable Leagues or will have to create the Groups and move the teams?

3) If I make England, Wales, North Ireland and Scotland to become UK (making all English, Welsh, North Irish and Scottish, Teams, People, Towns, etc...Brittish) to avoid DB problems should I create 3 New Nations? And what will happen with the National Teams that would be trying to Qualify for WC2010?

1) Yes you can recreate a current structure and make changed to rules.

2) You can add the next level in spain and make it playable with promotion/relegation.

3) You cannot create new nations. You can only move teams from other leagues into one of the other nations to have them all playing in same structure.

Question about league editor.

Can I make two leagues side by side, on the same tier? For example, Conference north, and conference south are the same level, and a few teams from each get promoted to the National conference. Would I be able to do something like that?

Also, would it be possible to split leagues mid season, or at a specified time, like they do in the Scottish premier?

Thanks.

ONE MORE QUESTION!

Can I put national teams in a league?! Like England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, etc?

Yes, yes and no

I thought about this new editor and I came up with a different question about it: will it be possible to alter all of the league rules like the amount of foreigners each team is allowed to register and play?

Yes

Wow. I'm excited over this league editor. USL, PDL, and CSL (Canadian Soccer League), here we come. :D

EDIT:

And one question: I would want to recreate all the Asian leagues that are unplayable in FM. Would I be able to adjust the number of participants in the Asian Champions Leagues, and the other continental club competitions?

The number of teams that qualify for continental tournaments and how they qualify is pre-set and cannot be edited this year.

Hi Michael,

Does this mean we can add pre-season tournaments like the Peace Cup/ Amsterdam tournament etc.

Also can we add more domestic cups alongside the current ones?

Thanks

Kees

No this isn't possible with the editor.

To answer another question people have been asking, you cannot make a competition that uses more than one nation. You cannot for example have both scotland and england running and have a competition that is has teams from both nations playing.

yes me too ...Floriana!!!i live there actually...are you from malta?

As we would be out of topic, i sent you a private message about that..

With regards to FM, I think the new features are really interesting, making me drooling as it always happens at this time of the year.. and they haven't even revealed all the features.. I am not a fanboy, but I appreciate all the work SI does to make a game which tries to make most of us happy.

I don't know if this has been answered, but this is my question: I read that there is the chance to create new leagues, but is it possible to create more leagues belonging to the same league tier, e.g. Italian Serie D?

Edit: I realised you've just answered to my question, sorry..

Three things to bare in mind about what you said

1) Everything you see is work in progress (which is why it says work in progress on the screenshots)

2) There is a lot left to announce about new features; there will be many blogs, videos and podcasts released in the build up to FM10 going gold (as there is every year)

3) FM sells far more than CM and is already high on many pre-order charts, whereas CM isn't. So SI don't have to rush out all of their new features to stay in competition (it's the other way around)

I see that you can add competitions to existing leagues etc..

Can you add regional competitions eg. A british cup, a new european cup (cup winners cup?), community shield between england/scotland. International competitions? Can we create competitions such as the british championships.

Can we choose the date when the competitions starts, e.g. if we don't want it to start in first season. Can we add competitions mid-way through the game, I sometimes get bored and would like to add a British trophy or something...

Can we edit games during the game? Can we edit finances for the leagues etc.

will it be possible to create international competition or to modify the existing international competition? For instance, can we create the CONCACAF Gold Cup qualifiers or modify African World Cup qualifiers?

is the reputation of the different leagues is static and fixed at the start of the game or dynamic? Same question for TV licensing and winning prizes in the leagues : dynamic or static?

thanks

Question about data-editor. If I want like a 4th Belgian division, do I have to create all the teams and all the players? Or are the teams already in DB and can I fill the teams up with some regens?

1) Yes you can recreate a current structure and make changed to rules.

Will there be an easy way to do this? For example upon creating a new league will the player be able to "clone" an existing league?

Or will it require going through the settings manually recreating the existing settings and manually adding all teams to it?

Archived