FM2010 announcement

Yes. If those competitions aren't already in the database then you can create them yourself and activate them.

I think it prudent to just add all COCA-COLA FIFA NATIONS to the system, toss in afew players from each country as they are in the data anyway and so you can have a league option for any nation.

The othe feature about cross national league creation is hypacritical as UEFA Champions league is already a cross national barrier league. You should be able to simply create a league out of any combo of teams invited to play in it...

The USL and WSL in North america span USA and CANADA.

Belgium may only have one or two teams that can compete at the same level as say Holland and so it is conceivable to add them to a cross national league in theory...:eek:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see the "polish".

Every year I thought "to hell with new features: decently develop the existing ones"

Very wise SI

On the other hand I just can't see me drop this game. I'm 38 and will never become an adult :D

Thanks SI

Thanks SI

I think this sounds quality!

Just one question about the Tatics Editor, someothing that I have wanted for a while, so many thanks, anyway the question, will you be able to re-create the famous Cruyff or Arsenal penalty, where one person touches the ball, and someone else puts it into the net (hopefully- it went right for Ajax, and and wrong for Arsenal), or to re-create the Manchester United corner, (which was in-correctly ruled out) where one person touches the corner and leaves it (so fools the opposition) for someone else to take the corner.

If it would be possible to include those two tactical elements into the game, then I would just die with happenies! :D :D

You cannot create a system like this. The editor only allows you to add nations structure or add divisions to current nation structure. You cannot have two seperate nations running under one league.

I disagree with Micheal ... if you can add any team to a list such as UEFA then you should be able to create your own UEFA champions league ... am I right Mike?

Quoted earlier that USL in NAmerica is a cross as is WSL in NA so how can you exclude a team simply because it is in A Nation. take out the boarders as a strcture there are lots of examples of cross border leagues and You should not limit people to creating them so easily.

I can easily see a Belgium and Holland cross for instance as only one or two belgium may be the best fit for a league made of say 8 dutch teams giving you a nice league of ten say.

Nations is only useful in defining your teams players for international recognition. If you put all 180 nations of the Coca Cola FIFA list in the data base every person on earth could make a league of their own and we as consumers could too...$$$$:rolleyes:

Congrats on reaching announcement point guys. Sounds like it's going to be another good version. The screenshots look very interesting (of course some are familiar from FML but I think those features fit well into FM too) and the skin looks great (although I quite liked last year's too).

Best of luck ahead of release.

This thread is for discussion / questions about the features announced so far so any suggestions for future games should be posted in a new topic or the wishlist thread :)

I can say against this as in 2006 and in 2009 i have had to turn off everything except the 2d match engine to make it work. My game freezes if I have any audio on as something to do with my audio driver. My audio is up to date and is more than enough to run any spec on your game box and then some yet it chokes, same on my laptop and on my desktop. Same prblem for both games and both machines.

I have a Intel duo 2 with 4 GB ram and ample hard drive and graphics built in to may basic machine to make this game scream according to the spec list yet if I was to turn on the 3d match engine and all the other feature this game would not get out of the stone ages of the news items before dying and dying hard... I hope the AI and the basic engine will be fully tuned to those of users with only a two year old machine and running XP still to be able to play or your customer base will be choking to death as they spew a load of dissent on your waste of graphic reasources. Stick to what this game is about - MANAGEMENT not great looking 3D or resource hungry graphics. I would have to go buy a 2000$ machine to replace my 1500$ machine to be truely confident your game would not stall just running the 2D engine with the sound function on.... Make sure your basics are working A1 before offering new resource hungry features you can't use or don't want.:eek:

Sorry if this as already been awnsered but will this new adding Leagues feature in the Editor, include being able to edit current leagues like The English premier league and if not will you at least be able to add/takeway points penalties??

I think I already know the answer but im sort of Hoping that si will suprise me

Thank you in advance Demo :)

ps: the game sounds great anyway hope it lives up to its promise

Ummmm I have scanned the thread some one else asked the question. But there appears to be no answer. If some one can be so kind to answer.

I may be in the minority however, when I watch the match in 3D I turn of whatever I am listening to in the backround, and listen to the 'in-game sounds', I do fully appreciate that the masses don't even bother with it however I do. So I'll cut to the chase are these 'In game sounds' getting an upgrade of sorts?

I don't want the Earth as I am not expecting player names to mentioned/sung/shouted at by the fans , but I do go for the Full game immersion/experience that the game offers as it does geniunely immerse as to keep the authenticity, such as you get to a play-off final at Wembley with some little old team the volume, increases by many, many notches. I don't why I just do( But when your playing massive venue the game sound increased by itself) . It would be nice if this is was improved just a little.

Hello from Canada's west coast,

I'm very excited about today's announcement, and I have some thoughts and questions.

- Change in the tactics system, it's a very interesting development, considering that I remember this has been a debate going on in this forum about whether to do away with the sliders or not. I'm glad at least that the sliders will be kept, but one thing I would seriously suggest is that SI provides a lexicon to the terms. Without a clear definition of "box to box midfielder", "deep lying playmaker", etc. some managers may have trouble fully understanding their tactical system. Yes I know, any soccer lover should know all these terms inside and out, but the game should also be available to novices, and providing a clear definition of these terms would really help.

- New data editor, I have to laugh considering how we've been pestering SI about adding this or that league into the game, it's like SI just said **** it, here you go, do that on your own and stop bothering us. Now one question I have is how they get implemented with other competitions. If for instance I add the Cypriot First Division, could we insure that the fixture format is appropriate to that league, and does not run counter to other competitions (international and UEFA competitions)? Can we add the cup competition? Does the winner of the League get entrance in the first qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League, and the runner-up and winner of the Cypriot Cup into the Europa League's second qualifying round? In other words, can the clubs of a created league be connected with competitions that are already in the game? Finally, can the level of rivalries between clubs get changed (either manually or automatically)?

- The News Center looks really good, I'm just wondering what the status is regarding the rumours section. Will it be incorporated in the News Center? Will there be a better tie between the rumours section and the questions asked in press conferences about rumoured players? I'm just voicing my questions here, I'm sure that the answer is "no comment" for now.

- The in-game experience looks better, and I'm glad for that. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this. Now, I know that because it hasn't been mentioned, it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I just want to point out my frustration at the _possible_ lack of improvements to the sounds of the game. It seems to me that a lot of people on this board under-appreciate the impact that sounds can have in making FM feel more immersive. To me the sounds of football is as important as the sights when experiencing a football game. The crowd noises, chanting, whistling, booing, clapping, etc etc. is what is needed most in FM as of now, IMO. EA does a pretty good job in that regard with their FIFA series. If SI can match that type of quality, I'd be very happy. As of right now, it is downright unlistenable, and I just have to put the game on mute. Hopefully this will get mentioned in a later update, but if not, please SI consider the sounds as something you should focus in later versions.

Thanks and KUTGW.

A brand new Data Editor will allow the addition of new divisions to existing leagues and of entirely new leagues as well

I said I wasn't going to buy FM2010 but this is the feature I have always asked for, so no matter how I didn't enjoy FM09, SI will have my money this year again... :-(

The interface is awful though. I wish I had the option to use a FM07 Style skin.

i think in this case evolution is better than revolution. i'm one that was underwhelmed by FM09, but i think it wasn't far away from being a realyl great gaem. hopefully the tweaks and improvements made for FM2010 will push it on.

however, i'm going to have to hold off on getting the game. i promised myself i would finish NaNoWriMo this year and it falls in November. if i get FM on release there's no way i'll get it done!

I see in the screenie (Jon Main) that the old rating system for players looks the same. I just hope this time that it doesn't tell you that 10 of your players are the best players at the club (because each is very good in their position) and that another 10 are key members of the squad (because they're also good players). I liked that old star system you had where the top three players in the squad I think were identified. So only 3 or 4 or so players should really be the best in the club.

I see in the screenie (Jon Main) that the old rating system for players looks the same. I just hope this time that it doesn't tell you that 10 of your players are the best players at the club (because each is very good in their position) and that another 10 are key members of the squad (because they're also good players). I liked that old star system you had where the top three players in the squad I think were identified. So only 3 or 4 or so players should really be the best in the club.

That is a very valid point.

Brilliant news about the game today.. :thup:

One question though; If i make my own db, will i be able to add league packs by others without have to use another db than mine? Thanks!

Yes, as long as they haven't edited the same players as you.

Sounds like it will be possible to merge several databases. That would just put icing on the cake.

• SI Staff
One small question/suggestion about the match analysis screenshots...

The colours for the type or shot . I.e Goal, Missed, Woodwork, Saved, all seem abit too close and might be difficult to differentiate the different shades of red at first glance without having to constantly look at the Key to decern the which shade of red means what.

I am very much liking this feature of seeing each individual players contributions and shots /passes in greater detail. Everything else looks fantastic also! Definately looking forward to the Demo!

The screenshots are "work in progress", so details such as the colors in the match analysis are still being tweaked naturally. They will definately be looked at since the colors you see in the screenshots are basically just placeholders until the better colors are sorted.

Re: Crowds and grounds, 2 questions

i assume with more designs, when you get a new stadium, the image will change too?

and with Crowds, does the number you see change depending on the attendence levels and do they react to the match engine IE, sulk when then conceed, get angry at fouls, cheer at goals, clap for subs?

Quite impressed with the news about FM2010.

The league editor feature sounds absolutely fantastic and it'll certain provoke the FM community into creating and updating leagues that aren't currently playable. Lower UK leagues, J-League, finally Africa can be represented in the game and other South American and Middle Eastern nations can all be added.

As for the tactics guide. It's a great idea but people should realise that it just confirms what people like wwfan and others in the tactical forum have been telling us for years. This new feature just converts the sliders and equations into words.

Really looking forward to this now. Sounds great.

I like the idea of the tactics creator and more the idea that you're addressing the issues from FM09 rather than just shoving new features in and not fixing stuff.

One thing that does concern me and I really do hope that it's fixed is board confidence. I don't want to be sat at the top of the league with Everton and then having my board confidence as "satisfied - the board is unhappy with your performance in the carling cup" it's just not realistic.

I welcome, like many others here, the vision and determination to "polish" the game rather than add loads of various features. I look forward with excitement to playing the demo.

I'm sure Sega will wisely choose the correct copy protection that is best for everyone. I'm sure it will also be top-notch so that it can't be circumvented, but yet to fair to fans and people behind the scenes.

I like skin involved and its new direction. I take it we can still import images such as club logos into the game? I also assume we can delete the certain file in a certain directory to be replaced with an easily created file to implement real names and thus violate copyright - obviously they ( SI & SEGA) hate people circumventing the copy protection that is used in FM, but happy to find loop holes or take the mick by getting around the legal issues with regards to real names of players and competitions. Here's me thinking that if they want the real things in the game then they'd pay for it not leave a backdoor unlocked and moan about people copying the game. Ah well, hypocrites.

Looks like sliders have been done away with? Another move that I welcome and impressed with the tactics creator screen.

I wonder if I should take a semester off college and try to recreate the U.S. college system and tweak the draft rating system for the MLS to make it work... Multiple feeder leagues of sorts with a playoff system at the end...

How to make a ratings system work though?

I'm tempted.

Will transfers be like real world transfers such as Anton Peterlin from the 4th tier of American Football going to Everton be possible? You said that the data editor had been sorted and I was wondering if this had anything to do with what I'm asking. I think that this would expand the game not only in terms of enjoyment but long playability to have the ability to play longer careers by finding possible hidden gems.

As I've mentioned a few times, we've made our recommendations, but it's up to SEGA to decide on copy protection and, as yet, they haven't done so.

However, we have some very interesting stats regarding pirated copies vs sold copies, and number of installs per legitimate bought copies (with 5 seats to play with). The average use of each disc was 1.6, which we feel is quite low, so that side of things isn't a problem. Sales were our best ever (that's for any title SI have released) and we have, for once, relatively accurate piracy stats (give or take 20%) which, if I'm given permission to do so, I will release at some point during the blogging process - for now all I can say is that the game not being properly cracked for a few months (rather than a few days before release) is very noticable when you see a graph of how many people were playing pirated copies at which points of the release cycle.

Too bad about not being able to announce the copy protection yet. I guess I'll just avoid most of the current hype then and wait, so I won't end up like last year where I pre-ordered and eventually had to cancel it again once the DRM was announced.

Regarding the piracy numbers, then I personally block all my bought games from connecting to the internet, so I would assume most of the pirates are smart enough to do the same when they are actually using illegal copies. If that's the case then the pirates must be untraceable, so I'm not sure whatever numbers you have are all that accurate.

Regarding the actual announcement, then first of all I really like the dark skin. I could have used a little more FM07-like dark green, but it is way better than the white version. However, while the dark red text used on the news screen looks good in the white skin, I'm not sure it's the best choice for the dark skin. I would probably have used something like a light blue instead, so I hope that's part of the following:

The screenshots are "work in progress", so details such as the colors in the match analysis are still being tweaked naturally. They will definately be looked at since the colors you see in the screenshots are basically just placeholders until the better colors are sorted.

Though I've only played the demo for FM09, from what I saw, I do think that "polishing" seems more important at the moment than necessarily adding lots of new features, so I think that's definitely a good decision.

Oh and finally, since I work with developing software myself, I do find the part about the development, and bug handling an interesting read. So thanks for that :thup:

• SI Staff
I disagree with Micheal ... if you can add any team to a list such as UEFA then you should be able to create your own UEFA champions league ... am I right Mike?

Quoted earlier that USL in NAmerica is a cross as is WSL in NA so how can you exclude a team simply because it is in A Nation. take out the boarders as a strcture there are lots of examples of cross border leagues and You should not limit people to creating them so easily.

I can easily see a Belgium and Holland cross for instance as only one or two belgium may be the best fit for a league made of say 8 dutch teams giving you a nice league of ten say.

Nations is only useful in defining your teams players for international recognition. If you put all 180 nations of the Coca Cola FIFA list in the data base every person on earth could make a league of their own and we as consumers could too...$$$$:rolleyes:

I think you've not understood, if you want to move teams from belgium to holland and then create a league structure then that will work. However you cant create a structure and then pick and choose teams from holland and belgium.

• SI Staff
Sorry if this as already been awnsered but will this new adding Leagues feature in the Editor, include being able to edit current leagues like The English premier league and if not will you at least be able to add/takeway points penalties??

I think I already know the answer but im sort of Hoping that si will suprise me

Thank you in advance Demo :)

ps: the game sounds great anyway hope it lives up to its promise

You can recreate the english leagues using the editor and change how the structure works including points penalties.

• SI Staff

I'm very excited about today's announcement, and I have some thoughts and questions.

- Change in the tactics system, it's a very interesting development, considering that I remember this has been a debate going on in this forum about whether to do away with the sliders or not. I'm glad at least that the sliders will be kept, but one thing I would seriously suggest is that SI provides a lexicon to the terms. Without a clear definition of "box to box midfielder", "deep lying playmaker", etc. some managers may have trouble fully understanding their tactical system. Yes I know, any soccer lover should know all these terms inside and out, but the game should also be available to novices, and providing a clear definition of these terms would really help.

If there aren't descriptions in the game (I can't remember off the top of my head) there will be guides on the various websites - we're in text lock now, so if there aren't any, they won't be added now. Sorry I can't be more certain!

- New data editor, I have to laugh considering how we've been pestering SI about adding this or that league into the game, it's like SI just said **** it, here you go, do that on your own and stop bothering us.

Kind of. It will certainly help us see which leagues we should be adding in the future.

- The News Center looks really good, I'm just wondering what the status is regarding the rumours section. Will it be incorporated in the News Center? Will there be a better tie between the rumours section and the questions asked in press conferences about rumoured players? I'm just voicing my questions here, I'm sure that the answer is "no comment" for now.

Rumours will be seperate to news. The rest you'll have to wait and see.

- The in-game experience looks better, and I'm glad for that. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this. Now, I know that because it hasn't been mentioned, it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I just want to point out my frustration at the _possible_ lack of improvements to the sounds of the game. It seems to me that a lot of people on this board under-appreciate the impact that sounds can have in making FM feel more immersive. To me the sounds of football is as important as the sights when experiencing a football game. The crowd noises, chanting, whistling, booing, clapping, etc etc. is what is needed most in FM as of now, IMO. EA does a pretty good job in that regard with their FIFA series. If SI can match that type of quality, I'd be very happy. As of right now, it is downright unlistenable, and I just have to put the game on mute. Hopefully this will get mentioned in a later update, but if not, please SI consider the sounds as something you should focus in later versions.

Thanks and KUTGW.

Sound wise, it was down on the list of things to look at this year, and there've been a few bug fixes, but no major overhaul. Other things were deemed more important and we don't have a sound code specialist. We'll look at it again next year, but I'm not promising anything at this stage.

Sounds like it will be possible to merge several databases. That would just put icing on the cake.

I like icing. And cake.

of course, in the next future there will be new features. Can you say when? i saw that there will be podcasts, but something more?

I can't say at the moment - we're still finalising the PR plan, and whether the blogs will be here, there, or everywhere. I hope to start blogging next week, but it's not looking that likely at the moment.

Re: Crowds and grounds, 2 questions

i assume with more designs, when you get a new stadium, the image will change too?

and with Crowds, does the number you see change depending on the attendence levels and do they react to the match engine IE, sulk when then conceed, get angry at fouls, cheer at goals, clap for subs?

I'll be going into the whole crowd and stadium thing in more detail in a blog. There's quite a lot of stuff to talk about!

:):) Absolutely fantastic well done to everyone working on what appears to be an incredibly polished and beautifully looking game. And a special mention to the graphics team working on the interface!

The game looks fantastic, sleek, modern and just what a 2010 management game should look like. And manager shouts during the game AND match anaylsis tools are in the game! I simply cannot wait to get my hands on it!!!

Miles - Just a quick question: I know you cant comment on other new features BUT do club finances have its own section and have there been any changes to club finances? (essential information for a gamer like me)

thanks again top job! :thup:

Will there be a licence for the german national team?

will the game not cheat as much?

I think EA (or whoever hold the licence for Germany) still hold the right to Germany for a few years yet, however I'm not sure.

As to the second point, I'm sure it's all in your head ;)

Will there be a licence for the german national team?

will the game not cheat as much?

Yeh i doubt it cos EA own the rights to the german national team, same as Konami own the rights to the Japan national side but apparently there are gonna be more licences than fm09! :D

As far as I know these terms should be fully explained in the game.

If there aren't descriptions in the game (I can't remember off the top of my head) there will be guides on the various websites - we're in text lock now, so if there aren't any, they won't be added now. Sorry I can't be more certain!

If not in the game, I'd suggest SI to provide definitions on its website and forum.

Sound wise, it was down on the list of things to look at this year, and there've been a few bug fixes, but no major overhaul. Other things were deemed more important and we don't have a sound code specialist. We'll look at it again next year, but I'm not promising anything at this stage.

Thanks for being forthright on this. I understand that you have bigger fish to fry in the short-term, but if SI's aim to make FM as immersive as possible, I really suggest you review this aspect of the game. IMO, sound is something that regularly gets under-appreciated by FMers.

Archived