I just got a youth player from a country I've never heard of!

• 3 months later...

I was just checking on the progress of my some of my U-18s, and I noticed that one of my players, who I had always assumed was French, is actually from somewhere called Mayotte?! I quick check on Wikipedia told me that this was a small island close to Madagascar, about the size of the Isle of Wight (and is technically a French territory, and so uses the French flag on the game which is probably why I thought he was French). I've got to say, I was surprised and rather pleased to see that the game knows places that I don't (I would like to think that I am quite well-read on matters Geographical) What's the most obscure place you've seen regens from?

I'm actually the opposite to your response Irchard as my first inclination is that this is part of the game's tendency to generate newgens/regens from obscure nations where dual citizenship occurs (France, Netherlands, England). A quick search should turn up Nepenthez's thread on this very problem when playing in England.

I'm not going to get into the argument about realism etc. but just state that in my opinion it's overcooked.

To answer your question from the usual suspects of countries linked to larger European nations for historic reasons:-

Bermuda

Netherlands Antilles

French Guadeloupe

etc.

Also from the Oceanic nations:-

Fiji

Samoa

Vanuatu

Solomon Islands

Cook Islands

all with English as their first language (running the English leagues only?), usually end up retiring before they are 20 and always get called up to the international squad.

I've just got a regen in a game I'm running in the Czech Republic from Botswana! He actually has dual Czech/botswanan nationality but it must be connected somehow to a Botswanan player who was in my team for about 5 years until 2 seasons prior to this. Maybe he brought one of his cousins over with him? :D

had quite a few players from northern mariana, and had one player in my newport game from eritrea, but i dont know where any of these are

when i played as leeds a few months ago, i saw a lot of youngsters from central african republic, but i haven't seen a single player from there in any other games i've had since then

There's actually a player in the French leagues from Mayotte:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toifilou_Maoulida

I'm actually the opposite to your response Irchard as my first inclination is that this is part of the game's tendency to generate newgens/regens from obscure nations where dual citizenship occurs (France, Netherlands, England). A quick search should turn up Nepenthez's thread on this very problem when playing in England.

I'm not going to get into the argument about realism etc. but just state that in my opinion it's overcooked.

To answer your question from the usual suspects of countries linked to larger European nations for historic reasons:-

Bermuda

Netherlands Antilles

French Guadeloupe

etc.

Also from the Oceanic nations:-

Fiji

Samoa

Vanuatu

Solomon Islands

Cook Islands

all with English as their first language (running the English leagues only?), usually end up retiring before they are 20 and always get called up to the international squad.

I think where SI goes wrong is their tendency to have these regens be born in the obscure country. Tutus Bramble, for instance, is of Montserrat descent (his brother plays for the national team). However, the number of regens born in Montserrat practically exceeds the country's national pool! This is most present in regens born in the British isles of the Caribbean. There should be more players born in ENGLAND, but with St. Lucia/Anguilla/BVI/Montserrat dual nationality.

This should be the same with France. Lots of players born in France with Senegal/Ivory Coast second nationality. And in Germany lots with Turkish second nationality.. etc.

Oh and to answer the topic, I got a lot of weird ones in FM2007: Eritrea (that guy was awesome!), Samoa, Tonga, Kazakhstan, Burkina Faso, USVI are the ones I can recall. Unfortunately, FM2008 produces basically only regens from the country you're playing in, which is a real shame. I think I got one from Jamaica once, but all the others ones Spanish (while in Spain) or British. I really liked funky regens; SI if you read this, please bring back the obscure nationality regens from 07!

I actually had two from Mayotte once, the problem is that they really should be french with Mayotte as asecond nationality, as Mayottenever play FIFA-internationals.

Hey,

Iv had a few from Monserrat.

On loan at my Romanian feeder team at the moment I have players with nationalities of:-

St Martin - French 2nd nationality

Comoros

Surinam

Mozambique

Vietnam.

Coincedentally my two Vietnamese share the same surname and are 1 year apart in age. Both have 'the ability to be as good as ........." my 1st teamers who play in their positions.

This is one of the stranger things I find about FM08. The players who come from obscure countries from say, English, Dutch, French provinces all seem to have way better potential abilities than the massive batch of full english/dutch/french regens that come through each year. There tends to be a couple from each obscure country but they always have amazing potential ability. You need to get them early though in order to let them fulfil their potential otherwise they just float around at say 80/186 until they retire at the age of 20 or whatever.

Just checked my reserve team and my Israeli DL/WL on loan at my feeder team (to get a WP) is valued at £8,750,000!!!! My 4th highest valued player overall!!!

I am playing in Greece and usually got guys from the Balkans and Caucasus (Georgian/Armenian)

The weird thing is when i get Spanish , Belgian and Dutch .

Do you get a lot of Albanians like I do, even though I manage Diagoras, so Albanians coming that far is pretty unrealistic

Do you get a lot of Albanians like I do, even though I manage Diagoras, so Albanians coming that far is pretty unrealistic

Yes lots of Albanians but this is not something strange for Greece , there are already loads of young Albanians playing for low league clubs and even U21 national team has 2 of them (Ninis , Dimoutsos)

I must admit to using ScoutGenie; on June 20th I use it to find all the regens and cherry-pick. There are loads from obscure Pacific Islands or African nations such as Somalia. i have a whole youth squad full of those who I could get, with loads more due to join when they reach a certain age (I've yet to see if they retire at 17 when they have a contract with an EPL club at 18!).

The let-down for me is their names and facegen pics - they are usually bog-standard English names and faces. Still, it's a start.

Hey,

This is one of the stranger things I find about FM08. The players who come from obscure countries from say, English, Dutch, French provinces all seem to have way better potential abilities than the massive batch of full english/dutch/french regens that come through each year. There tends to be a couple from each obscure country but they always have amazing potential ability. You need to get them early though in order to let them fulfil their potential otherwise they just float around at say 80/186 until they retire at the age of 20 or whatever.

As far as I'm aware, this is intentional. Your academy might produce a couple of local kids who just turn up out of hope more than talent, but if your (invisible) scouting network has managed to persuade a kid from Vietnam to come all the way over then he'd better be pretty damn talented to make it worth his and your while.

Its a little annoying for me at San Marino - even if I'm producing a Serie A quality regen every year or so, it tends to be the best of my class is from Colombia, USA, Serbia with an Italian passport instead of a local kid that I can call up to the national team.

I had a Norweigan appear from nowhere when I was managing Bromsgrove Rovers. It was obscure simply because all my players and staff in the six years I had been managing them were British with no knowledge of Norway. How he ended up in Bromsgrove I'll never know.

Yep, as Berwick manager I got a plenty of phunkay regens. Chang Ho Fung of Hong Kong(who's bloody good for the division BTW) and a Brazilian goalkeeper named Jailton. I mean all of Berwick's youth(most of whom get dropped) are from Berwick or surrounding areas in North Northumberland and Scottish borders so getting guys from as far as Hong Kong and Brazil totally blew my mind.

My nationality is English/Scottish, BTW.

Unfortunately my Mahoran player did not do enough to earn a profesional contract and I have released him at the age of 19, which is a shame as I was hoping he would allow me stay with his family during my holidays. However I decided to retrospectively check on FMScout and his PA is 156 so hopefully he will make it somewhere. I am a bit disappointed that in the four years since he graduated from the youth setup, I have not had a single youth player from outside the British isles. I have signed a white Nigerian though! Might have to seek out some exotic coaches.

Archived