Football Manager 2019 Pre Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

For what it's worth, here's my experience of injuries, after a little over half a season at Fiorentina.

There do seem to be more match injuries than I'd expect, though they're not at ridiculous levels. I go through spells where I have no match injuries for several games in a row, as well as spells where I get at least one injury in successive matches. I always keep an eye on my players' Injury Risk and will rarely play anyone who is at High risk unless absolutely necessary.

My team's also been pretty lucky when it comes to training injuries. I take charge of training myself and try to strike a good balance when it comes to training/rest.

Overall, I'm getting noticeably fewer injuries than the expected average, and the longest injury I've had has been six weeks.

On the whole, I'm enjoying the beta a lot. Indeed, I'm already thinking that I might develop a stronger bond with my Fiorentina squad than I had with my Dagenham & Redbridge team in 20+ seasons on FM13. That says a lot.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, CFuller said:

For what it's worth, here's my experience of injuries, after a little over half a season at Fiorentina.

There do seem to be more match injuries than I'd expect, though they're not at ridiculous levels. I go through spells where I have no match injuries for several games in a row, as well as spells where I get at least one injury in successive matches. I always keep an eye on my players' Injury Risk and will rarely play anyone who is at High risk unless absolutely necessary.

My team's also been pretty lucky when it comes to training injuries. I take charge of training myself and try to strike a good balance when it comes to training/rest.

Overall, I'm getting noticeably fewer injuries than the expected average, and the longest injury I've had has been six weeks.

On the whole, I'm enjoying the beta a lot. Indeed, I'm already thinking that I might develop a stronger bond with my Fiorentina squad than I had with my Dagenham & Redbridge team in 20+ seasons on FM13. That says a lot.

I'm managing in Serie A also, and that's pretty much been my experience of it to. The key part I agree with is this ;

I always keep an eye on my players' Injury Risk and will rarely play anyone who is at High risk unless absolutely necessary.

This is something which I believe many users overlook. I always check the medical centre on the morning of every matchday, and like you would only play a high risk player if I've no other option. My injuries over the first season were 44% down on expected. 

Have to say I'm loving managing in Serie A on the game this year. Juve pipped Roma to the title on the last day. My team was the epitome of average though. 

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Have to say I'm loving managing in Serie A on the game this year. Juve pipped Roma to the title on the last day. My team was the epitome of average though. 

The title race might go all the way in my save as well. The lead has changed hands so many times already. Roma held top spot early on, then Inter, and lately it's switched back-and-forth between Lazio and Napoli. Juventus are in form and will surely hit the front soon though.

And if it makes you feel any better, Sampdoria are battling against relegation. :D

4 hours ago, RocheBag said:

How realistic is that though? I don't think Manuel Neuer spends a whole lot of time hanging around the 17 year olds on the youth team training pitch.

You always here managers say they called up youngsters to the first team to get them in around the experienced players.

The old system of asking Messi to hang out with some 16 year old no one has ever heard of made no sense.

First team keepers often train with youth team keepers as there's only about  4/5 of them at the club in total and it's such a specific training regime. Especially at lower league clubs. You're assuming everyone manages top league teams.

5 minutes ago, janesy20 said:

First team keepers often train with youth team keepers as there's only about  4/5 of them at the club in total and it's such a specific training regime. Especially at lower league clubs. You're assuming everyone manages top league teams.

I don't manage top teams so I'm certainly not assuming that at all, no idea where you've pulled that from. 

If you want all your keepers training together then put them all in the same squad. Couldn't be more simple.

5 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

I don't manage top teams so I'm certainly not assuming that at all, no idea where you've pulled that from. 

If you want all your keepers training together then put them all in the same squad. Couldn't be more simple.

You started talking about Neuer. That's where I "pulled that from".

It's a completely unnecessary addition to a feature that worked well before hand. What if you manage in the lower league team where you only have 2 goalkeepers as I am? What then?

Edited by janesy20

7 minutes ago, janesy20 said:

It's a completely unnecessary addition to a feature that worked well before hand. What if you manage in the lower league team where you only have 2 goalkeepers as I am? What then?

It's an addition that's been taken after consulting with coaches 

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

It's an addition that's been taken after consulting with coaches 

And agree it works with outfield players. Just not with goalkeepers. Is this a feedback thread or more of a here's what you think and we will do what we want anyway?

1 minute ago, janesy20 said:

And agree it works with outfield players. Just not with goalkeepers. Is this a feedback thread or more of a here's what you think and we will do what we want anyway?

The game's out in a week. It's already done.

And in your case you train your keeper with the first team and make him available for the relevant youth side. 

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

The game's out in a week. It's already done

So may as well close the feedback thread then.

I'm no programmer but how hard can it be to change the minimum number of tutees (if that's a word) for goalkeepers from 2 to 1?

Edited by janesy20

15 minutes ago, janesy20 said:

Well I wasn't about to mention the goalkeeper from my Icelandic 2nd division side was I? People know who Neuer is.

15 minutes ago, janesy20 said:

It's a completely unnecessary addition to a feature that worked well before hand.

If by worked well you mean was easy to exploit whilst being totally unrealistic then sure. I for one think realism is necessary.

Edited by RocheBag

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

This is something which I believe many users overlook. I always check the medical centre on the morning of every matchday, and like you would only play a high risk player if I've no other option. My injuries over the first season were 44% down on expected. 

I dont think many people overlook it at all... I suspect all human managers look after condition and injury risk better than the AI. 

But when there is a match day injury bug it doesnt matter what you do. 

1 minute ago, westy8chimp said:

I dont think many people overlook it at all... I suspect all human managers look after condition and injury risk better than the AI. 

But when there is a match day injury bug it doesnt matter what you do. 

Nah mate haven't you heard? SI are lying through their teeth and pretending their game is bugged when it's not.

5 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

Well I wasn't about to mention the goalkeeper from my Icelandic 2nd division side was I? People know who Neuer is.

If by worked well you mean was easy to exploit whilst being totally unrealistic then sure. I for one think realism is necessary.

Then you put them both in the same squad if you want to mentor them, or don't if you don't. I dont see how the number of keepers at your club is relevant in the least.

because the minimum number requirement is 3. 1 tutor and 2 to learn from.

Edited by janesy20

1 minute ago, RocheBag said:

No club should ever have two keepers that's just a terrible idea.

Some do. Not everyone can afford more than two and others just use emergency loan system if one gets injured as a way of saving money. I don't even know why I'm trying to justify myself to you, who even are you? This is a feedback thread and I'm pointing out a flaw in a game to the people who create it. This is none of your business.

24 minutes ago, janesy20 said:

Some do. Not everyone can afford more than two and others just use emergency loan system if one gets injured as a way of saving money. I don't even know why I'm trying to justify myself to you, who even are you? This is a feedback thread and I'm pointing out a flaw in a game to the people who create it. This is none of your business.

AFAIK you can add non-gk to the group, you can mix players as you wish.

Just now, yezzko said:

AFAIK you can add non-gk to the group, you can mix players as you wish.

Thank you. But wishing to keep to the "realism" that the defendant suggested earlier how realistic is that? a keeper taking an a left sided winger, well, under his wing?

8 of the teams in League Two have 2 first team keepers registered (rest have at least three), all have at least one reserve/under 18s keeper outside that. So, aside from the fact they have the emergency loan (which they really shouldn't be abusing to save money) you should always have 3 keepers in a side

2 minutes ago, janesy20 said:

Thank you. But wishing to keep to the "realism" that the defendant suggested earlier how realistic is that? a keeper taking an a left sided winger, well, under his wing?

A defender maybe? I can not say about realism since I never played beyond Sunday league.

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

8 of the teams in League Two have 2 first team keepers registered (rest have at least three), all have at least one reserve/under 18s keeper outside that. So, aside from the fact they have the emergency loan (which they really shouldn't be abusing to save money) you should always have 3 keepers in a side

Last I checked you can manage all the way to Conference North/South level.

3 minutes ago, yezzko said:

A defender maybe? I can not say about realism since I never played beyond Sunday league.

I did, and I can tell you the concept that you require anything more than to have a senior pro actually look out for you without some randomly positioned other young player involved is complete nonsense.

6 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I'm happy to check all the conference teams too. I mean the exact same point still stands

Darlington had Pickford as an emergency loan keeper as their first choice plus their youth team keeper for the bench. I am Scarborough after they got promoted in the second season who have 1 keeper and 1 youth team keeper. Need any more examples?  I also manage York where I have 2 keepers. Why should i need to sign a keeper I don't need in order to make my first choice tutor my youth team keeper? Clubs do it intermittently everywhere. Agreed to the concept that it's a risky practice but would it stop an experienced player passing his knowledge onto a young player on his own? No.

Edited by janesy20

3 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I'm managing in Serie A also, and that's pretty much been my experience of it to. The key part I agree with is this ;

Agree about medical centre. An even better solution is to insert the ‘overall injury risk’ column on main squad view. I couldn’t play without it now.

2 hours ago, janesy20 said:

Lol. If it's none of other people's business maybe you should message the developers privately as opposed to posting on a public forum.

7 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Agree about medical centre. An even better solution is to insert the ‘overall injury risk’ column on main squad view. I couldn’t play without it now.

That was one of the first things I did when I first looked at my squad.

Having 'High' and 'Very High' stand out in red text is very helpful.

9 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

In fairness, Yeovil ran with just two (I use the term two loosely, as the second registered goalkeeper was our goalkeeping coach) for many years.  We were allowed to sign emergency goalkeepers a few times.

I think the "player will not develop beyond competent in position" thing is overdone. If a player has the attritubes, game time and performances to match I'm not sure there should be such a strict cap on it. 

On 27/10/2018 at 03:59, janesy20 said:

Can someone from SI definitely rule out having the license for the 3. Bundesliga for the full release? I am absolutely devastated that it's not included in this years FM just don't understand how it can be so difficult to acquire a license for a lower league. It is the main save I do every year.

I would rather you hadn't bothered getting the first two divisions license and promoted it like it was some sort of victory because it has ruined it for me.

I was a little bit disappointed to, as I wanted to rebuild FC Kaiserslautern, but hey, on the plus side we have licenses for the first two leagues and we have people who make editor files, so its not that bad :)

On 27/10/2018 at 08:15, westy8chimp said:

Whats rest and training got tobdo with it... The bug is too many match day injuries.... 

Its like saying you wont get run over by a car if you do press ups before bed and eat your fruit and veg. 

If you rest them from training their injury risk goes down, which is partly what determines.... You know .... Their risk of an injury

So managed to get a couple of hours in yesterday. Initial observations:

1. Looks great with the dark skin

2. Feels fresh and new, particularly the new tactics

3. Might be missing something, but I don’t get an alert or email when a scout report has been generated? Have to go into scouting to check?

4.  It is still impossible to sell Ramsey and Welbeck which I find bananas and frustrating (have always found the difficulty in selling players the only thing not realistic in FM). If you put Ramsey on the market at £10m there would be loads of clubs interested. As it stands no one was interested

FYI - have been playing FM Touch on iPad the last couple of versions so back on the PC so apologies if point 3 is me missing something

overall really encouraged

37 minutes ago, jdubsnz said:

4.  It is still impossible to sell Ramsey and Welbeck which I find bananas and frustrating (have always found the difficulty in selling players the only thing not realistic in FM). If you put Ramsey on the market at £10m there would be loads of clubs interested. As it stands no one was interested

Ramsey's and Welback's high wages means not many clubs can afford them even if the transfer fee is low. And the clubs that can afford them may have better options available to them.

Edited by pats

I was having at least one major injury (3+ weeks) per 2 training weeks. My Sports Scientist position was vacant. After I got a good SS, I rarely saw any injuries during the training days. Might be a pure coincidence though.

26 minutes ago, pats said:

Ramsey's and Welback's high wages means not many clubs can afford them even if the transfer fee is low. And the clubs that can afford them may have better options available to them.

I politely challenge back on that. £110k a week for a player of Ramsey’s calibre and experience is nothing in today’s market. Agree on Welbeck though, although English premium etc

1 hour ago, jdubsnz said:

If you're trying this in the first season, a lot of clubs that would be interested in those players will already have used up most of their wage/transfer budgets by the time the game starts. Also, the size of database and number of playable leagues loaded can also have an impact on this. 

Really enjoying the game so far, and the improvements to the dark skin only furthered that enjoyment the other day! I've mainly been scouting for players during the beta and getting all my tactics and stuff decided for my main save so I can hit the groud running (hopefully). That might not sound like much but I'm a low sighted player so it takes a while. I just have a few things I've noticed and points I would like to raise...

1. I noticed yesterday that in the set piece takers section, there were names of random staff members from all around the world listed there when I first entered the menu, which was so random. These staff members ranged from the Serbia manager to the assistant manager of Trammere which, considering I'm in charge of Leeds, was weird. 

2. I have the colour setting for attributes of 15+ to be in a reddish colour, but I've noticed occasionally that I won't even be able to see one of the numbers, or it'll be significantly darker than what it should be and barely visible. 

3. I was a little surprised that Kalvin Phillips' potential ability shows that hewon't grow any more. His current and potential ability both show "very good" which was a little odd considering he is only 22 and started the irl season in the best form he has ever been in. I've tested it with all my coaches' opinions and scouted him as Real Madrid and it is all the same. 

4. The improvements to the dark skin are great, but I think it still needs to go further. I don't know if I'm speaking for everyone when I say this, but I use the dark skin because I want as little bright colour as possible. I want a skin where the backgroud is always dark with light text. The top of the player profile screen is one of the areas for improvement in the dark skin in m opinion. 

Edited by RossJM12

12 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It doesn’t really matter. The rules are too harsh with the current feature. 

A goalkeeper of 38 should be able to mentor a younger keeper in the same squad. In real life, this scenario wouldn’t be constrained because there’s not another person involved. It’s nonsense. 

Edited by DP

Another positive impression, fm19 seems to be quite a bit quicker in processing compared to fm18. 

I also must say that during beta my focus is solely on playing as many matches/tactics in different saves as possible to judge the ME. My real career game starts after the editor becomes available.

Usually I only then start to really appreciate the total game. But I already am really impressed with the UI, the training possibilities,  medical centre and scouting. I think paying extra attention in getting the right staff will be rewarded even more. So I am looking forward to that.

Now let's nuance my critics on the ME. I actually believe SI only needs to balance the central play vs wing play. The lack of central play seems to have a knock on effect of more crosses, more corners and more free kicks and throw ins around the penalty area. Combined with some poor set piece defending,  which SI already state to be working on, it leads to a rather one dimensional presentation of goals. 

If SI manages to balance this and focuses on preferred foot shooting and crossing (making inside forwards perform more lifelike) I think this ME is by far the best ever.

Of course this does not put my concern to rest that AI is not capable of using the same tactics as us humans...

The ton of love that has been put into build up play, pressing, long range passes with perfect swirve etc is lovely. So yeah I am optimistic, but again I want to stress the importance of SI delivering an update to the ME soon. 

2 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

In fairness, Yeovil ran with just two (I use the term two loosely, as the second registered goalkeeper was our goalkeeping coach) for many years.  We were allowed to sign emergency goalkeepers a few times.

That comes back to my original point about clubs playing a little fast and loose with the emergency loan ability (hence Fifa's crackdown a couple of years ago) to save money rather than maintaining a decent sized squad 

16 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

Just had the same bug that I have had for the last few years.  It has been logged previously so won't be doing it again.

I signed an 18 year old centre back in the summer (I am newly promoted to VNL in England) though he would only join if I agreed to a minimum fee clause of £240,000.  He moaned in January because I turned down a bid of £100,000.  My reasoning was he had a minimum fee clause and that had to be met.  He sulked, threw a tantrum and cried himself silly.

The squad approached me saying I was being unfair.  I responded saying his departure makes the squad weaker.  They agreed and quite a few had the support manager icon next to their name (Agn I think, from memory).  Please note, there is still no option to say to squad he wasn't sold because release clause wasn't met.

A week later, Barnsley approach me and offer £240,000.  It is out of my hands and the transfer goes through.  The squad immediately round on me saying I was wrong and should of stuck to my guns.  Again, no option to say release clause was met.  It affects my standing with the squad and dynamics.

TL;DR - Squad go mental at something beyond my control and dynamics suffers.

I'll be slated for this, but I wish it happened more.

Feels like there's been managers who for no real reason, have had a dressing room completely turn on them and cost them their job, Conte at Chelsea seems an example. 

Always feel likes it's too easy to quell a mutiny on FM by simply winning a few games.

Would add weight to experienced players with professional personalities, who could settle things down, so folk would go after them rather than stockpile a team of 19yo players. Could also add the aspect of, if you ever move jobs, taking loyal players from the previous club to help you in the new dressing room.

Just an opinion, of course, but would add a further layer of difficulty.