England V Belgium 1900 BST ITV1 + Tunisia V Panama ITV4

decapitated

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Pukey said:

If we played our first team and one (Kane?) got injured people would have moaned. We made changes and people moaned. If we won people would have moaned that we have a harder route. We lose with a weaker team and people moan because our back up players didn't perform as well as the main group.

Basically there was no way people wouldn't moan. I don't buy that we deliberately threw the game either. I think we tried to get the goal but there clearly wasn't the intensity if it were absolutely vital, which I think would be the same for any team in the same situation.

Moral of the story here is people love moaning.

15 minutes ago, Sid1984 said:

Beat Columbia 60% and beat Swiss/swe 70% so probability if reaching semi = 42%

in other half beat japan = 90%, beat brasil 30%. Reach semi = 27%.

using estimated probabilities the bottom half is better for getting further. (Not taking account of the small prob that mex beat bra)

Been posting these all week in one of the other threads.  Gives England a better chance of reaching the semis now compared to Belgium, even though they are ranked as an inferior team.

image.thumb.png.25bf7ee11d676614626a1e2a926fe971.png

24 minutes ago, AJJ said:

No. I was using the royal "we". I am however a football fan and think using pretty much wholesale changes makes a mockery of what is supposedly the most prestigious international competition in the world

Welcome to 2018 where rotation is a thing.

I hope you applied the same standards as passionately to the other teams which made many changes after qualifying with a game to spare ;)

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Been posting these all week in one of the other threads.  Gives England a better chance of reaching the semis now compared to Belgium, even though they are ranked as an inferior team.

So, England is a bigger favorite against Colombia than Croatia is against Denmark.

And Portugal is for some reason the favorite against Uruguay.
Switzerland against Sweden.

Oh well.

Both teams at the end looked like they're trying to miss a pass and get the other team chances.

That goalmouth scamble at the end, the England player passed it back into the middle with the outside of his boot rather than hoofed it out.

Not all that concerned, or at least no moreso than before. The hype after wins against Tunisia and Panama was always drastically overblown, and the apocalyptic reactions I've seen after the Belgium game are the same. Quite apart from the fact that none of the players out tonight will play against Colombia, we weren't great and didn't create much, but also weren't terrible - I'd argue better than for long stretches of the Tunisia game - and mostly just flat against the best opposition faced so far: even Belgium's second string are leagues above Tunisia and Panama. A win against Colombia is 50/50, they've got excellent individual players but some clear shortcomings as well. If we get past that, we'll have a far better chance of reaching the semis than we would have with a win. Long story short, our second string weren't fantastic but didn't look anywhere near as incompetent against our best opposition to date as England's first XI have in previous tournaments, and there aren't many serious conclusions that can be drawn from a team featuring zero players who will start on Tuesday.

11 minutes ago, D_LO_ said:

Welcome to 2018 where rotation is a thing.

I hope you applied the same standards as passionately to the other teams which made many changes after qualifying with a game to spare ;)

No. I don't look at other teams other than England. I don't support them but in the world cup I follow them as I'm sure most others do. National football is very much second nature to me. I do care a lot about the respect of international competitions.

Edit: Also we have a weak squad. We can't afford wholesale changes. Belgium can

Welcome to 2018. Where dumbass posts like yours get shot down 👍

4 minutes ago, TM said:

"easier path" being mentioned by pundits is becoming more and more irritating to listen to

at least show respect to other nations

Is quite funny banging on about our "easier path" when it's not that long ago we were getting beaten by Iceland.

The side was always going to struggle with the midfield personnel we put out, along with 2 forwards who want to make the same runs. We had no link between Midfield and attack, and until Maguire came on, nobody in the back 3 whose distribution could break lines. Nobody really did enough to force themselves in, even Rose who would have been the most obvious change to make.

So therefore can't take too much from the team display, but on an individual level:

Dier - Neither mobile enough defensively, nor progressive/dynamic enough on the ball to be the lone "pivot".  A dismal effort from him which only ended up showing how Henderson is our 2nd most important player.

Rashford - I was thinking he should be very close to replacing Sterling, but actually in this system having the link between midfield and attack is key. When he comes deep, it's too deep like Rooney used to. I'm struggling to see where he gets more minutes at this tournament, as Vardy should be the first cab off the rank as a Striker behind Kane.

Pickford - A big worry. Has a real lack of presence and is pushing shots back out into dangerous areas.

18 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

image.thumb.png.25bf7ee11d676614626a1e2a926fe971.png

Brazil Vs. Spain final, we riot. :mad: Please no.

1 hour ago, decapitated said:

I think both teams are trying to win. The one thing we've learned in this match is Belgium have better squad players than England. Would have been interesting to see a result from two full strength sides in this one.

Would have been a similar story unfortunately, IMO.

39 minutes ago, AJJ said:

No. I was using the royal "we". I am however a football fan and think using pretty much wholesale changes makes a mockery of what is supposedly the most prestigious international competition in the world

2 minutes ago, AJJ said:

No. I don't look at other teams other than England. I don't support them but in the world cup I follow them as I'm sure most others do. National football is very much second nature to me. I do care a lot about the respect of international competitions.

Edit: Also we have a weak squad. We can't afford wholesale changes. Belgium can

Welcome to 2018. Where dumbass posts like yours get shot down 👍

Shot down? Read the mess and contradictory messages contained in your two posts. I'm not even sure you know who you support and the concern for the integrity of international competition is very noble and it's not at all hypocritical that you apply these standards to England ONLY. :thup:

1 minute ago, AJJ said:

That's my point. There is no easy sides and no expected passes to the next round. Especially in international football.

There are "easier" sides tho. Teams like Brazil, France etc can turn it on when it matters.

I dont get how anyone can argue this. Who would you want your domestic team to face in the Champions League - Real Madrid or some lesser known team?

1 minute ago, Paul Bacon said:

There are "easier" sides tho. Teams like France etc can turn it on when it matters.

I dont get how anyone can argue this. Who would you want your domestic team to face in the Champions League - Real Madrid or some lesser known team?

They can? :D

You're gonna face the big sides eventually though barring a massive slice of lucky results or poor performances. Doesn't matter when you play them. Just matters you are prepared when you do. You can't take anything in football for granted

Not responding to the douchebag above you.

1 minute ago, AJJ said:

You're gonna face the big sides eventually though barring a massive slice of lucky results or poor performances. Doesn't matter when you play them. Just matters you are prepared when you do. You can't take anything in football for granted

Not responding to the douchebag above you.

Of course. But id rather avoid them until the last possible moment

1 minute ago, ginnybob said:

I'd rather play 2 big sides than 3.

It was mentioned earlier, but Italia 90 is lauded in English football and we didn't play any of the big boys until the semis.

This relatively simple concept is clearly beyond some people. 

1 minute ago, Paul Bacon said:

Of course. But id rather avoid them until the last possible moment

Wouldn't you rather win it by beating the best teams though?

Honestly though, if you get the 'smaller' nations all the way to the final does that feel as great?
I really only ask as none of the bigger sides look good, yet you guys would still rather avoid them, ffs take them on and beat them, it's like hide and seek and you guys don't want to come out!

Is there a team you don't think you could beat? At this World Cup you are just as likely to lose to Switzerland as you are to Brazil!

1 minute ago, daylight said:

Honestly though, if you get the 'smaller' nations all the way to the final does that feel as great?
I really only ask as none of the bigger sides look good, yet you guys would still rather avoid them, ffs take them on and beat them, it's like hide and seek and you guys don't want to come out!

Is there a team you don't think you could beat? At this World Cup you are just as likely to lose to Switzerland as you are to Brazil!

Wouldnt care if we won :D

And i dont think we would beat Brazil

1 minute ago, D_LO_ said:

Now how can anyone argue with such a well thought out and articulated point as that. I feel well and truly 'shot down' :brock:

The grown ups are talking now. 

2 minutes ago, daylight said:

Are you suggesting that if we won the world cup without playing Brazil, France, Spain etc that it would somehow mean any less? Of course not. Does it mean less for any team to win it now because they didn't get to face Germany?

Love all the theories that we actually tanked the game, as opposed to simply having a team of players that couldn't pass or finish particularly well and weren't motivated to put a Herculean effort in to make up for it.

Almost like they've never watched England play in a knockout tournament before.

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

Love all the theories that we actually tanked the game, as opposed to simply having a team of players that couldn't pass or finish particularly well and weren't motivated to put a Herculean effort in to make up for it.

Southgate admitted we didnt want to win in post match interview

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

This^^

2 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Come off it

Archived