Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2018 Announcement

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Luke Cro said:

are there going to be improvments in data editor?? @Neil Brock

Most likely. And also most likely you will get a list posted here in the forums of the new features (Changes) to the editor, when the game is release. It has been that way for several previous release games. Any earlier then that will be a nice surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will the defender backpass directly to corner going to be fixed after years in the game? :) ... or is it considered a feature by now? ;)

Man that annoys me in the game.

Personally I will never preorder. It seems that many who pre-order do it because they know they will get an experience similar to last year, and isn't that really the whole problem of the annual release of sports games? ... it is incremental improvements over the years (which is in of itself fine). But making us pay 60 bucks for each release is too much in my book. Especially when there are usually a whole host of bugs at release and tweaks needed, making the game only really balanced and mostly bug free around the second or third patch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StormenDK said:

Will the defender backpass directly to corner going to be fixed after years in the game? :) ... or is it considered a feature by now? ;)

Man that annoys me in the game.

Personally I will never preorder. It seems that many who pre-order do it because they know they will get an experience similar to last year, and isn't that really the whole problem of the annual release of sports games? ... it is incremental improvements over the years (which is in of itself fine). But making us pay 60 bucks for each release is too much in my book. Especially when there are usually a whole host of bugs at release and tweaks needed, making the game only really balanced and mostly bug free around the second or third patch.

 

Agreed I don't buy any FM now until after the 3rd patch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, grade said:

Most likely. And also most likely you will get a list posted here in the forums of the new features (Changes) to the editor, when the game is release. It has been that way for several previous release games. Any earlier then that will be a nice surprise.

mate, please notify me if something shows up about editor... thank u in adv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Luke Cro said:

mate, please notify me if something shows up about editor... thank u in adv

If there are any news about the editor, I will post it in the editor forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, armbi said:

As for stadiums I also do not see any improvements. You say stadiums surroundings? What for!? They better make finally stadiums look a little bit similar to its original! Camp Nou in FM looks like casual big stadium from anywhere in the world. Yeah, yeah -  licences, but seriosuly stadiums are randomly created.

The surroundings add to the immersion too. It can be quite annoying to rock up for a pre-season friendly in the US and the buildings around the stadium are the exact same as the high street across the road from where the reserves play.

There has been so little variety in stadia for the last few years and finally it looks like this is something that's been addressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StormenDK said:

Will the defender backpass directly to corner going to be fixed after years in the game? :) ... or is it considered a feature by now? ;)

Man that annoys me in the game.

Personally I will never preorder. It seems that many who pre-order do it because they know they will get an experience similar to last year, and isn't that really the whole problem of the annual release of sports games? ... it is incremental improvements over the years (which is in of itself fine). But making us pay 60 bucks for each release is too much in my book. Especially when there are usually a whole host of bugs at release and tweaks needed, making the game only really balanced and mostly bug free around the second or third patch.

 

 

I agree. And I also feel that not pre-ordering the game keeps SI on their toes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all honesty I have not brought a football manager game since FM15, and up until FM15 I pretty much got them all, every single year. 

Perhaps I got older, and got a life.  However that being said, I am closer than ever to getting back into it, and getting fm 18. I’m still very undecided really, and watching the feature stuff closely. I’d like to say that maybe if I was offered a good discount, maybe say a Tenner off then it might persuade me to give it a go! Deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harryhi said:

In all honesty I have not brought a football manager game since FM15, and up until FM15 I pretty much got them all, every single year. 

Perhaps I got older, and got a life.  However that being said, I am closer than ever to getting back into it, and getting fm 18. I’m still very undecided really, and watching the feature stuff closely. I’d like to say that maybe if I was offered a good discount, maybe say a Tenner off then it might persuade me to give it a go! Deal?

I'm sure if you shop around before and after release you'll be able to find it cheaper than the current RRP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

The pre-order numbers don't make a difference on how the staff at SI work. It's not like there's a giant score tally and Miles stood behind us cracking a whip :D

It's entirely up to people whether they want to pre-order. One of the benefits is that you'll get access two weeks before the release date. Another up to the 9th was a pre-order discount. 

I suppose the best way of keeping us on our toes is by leaving us feedback on any areas of the game you don't like and think can be improved. Constructive feedback is incredibly invaluable to us in regards to constantly making FM a better game. You don't even have to buy the game to do this, you can do it via the demo we release every year which is 6-months of in-game time. More than enough to get a feel for the game. 

It goes without saying people want better AI within the game and that's something which worked on every year. Likewise improvements to the match engine we make every year. We never make a change for the sake of it, everything we try to do is for the progression of the game. And I assure you people at SI are working hard to make sure this is the best version we've ever released. 

Appreciate that little insight Neil. 

My thought was that if pre-orders are high it might lead to SI thinking all people will just buy anything that they put out, which might lead to complacency haha. 

Anyways I understand better now. 

I just hope that the team will continue to crack on in terms of the most basic elements of this game: tactics, AI and match engine.

Basically, realism to the modern game. 

Edited by theballstopshere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Neil Brock said:

The pre-order numbers don't make a difference on how the staff at SI work. It's not like there's a giant score tally and Miles stood behind us cracking a whip :D

It's entirely up to people whether they want to pre-order. One of the benefits is that you'll get access two weeks before the release date. Another up to the 9th was a pre-order discount. 

I suppose the best way of keeping us on our toes is by leaving us feedback on any areas of the game you don't like and think can be improved. Constructive feedback is incredibly invaluable to us in regards to constantly making FM a better game. You don't even have to buy the game to do this, you can do it via the demo we release every year which is 6-months of in-game time. More than enough to get a feel for the game. 

It goes without saying people want better AI within the game and that's something which worked on every year. Likewise improvements to the match engine we make every year. We never make a change for the sake of it, everything we try to do is for the progression of the game. And I assure you people at SI are working hard to make sure this is the best version we've ever released. 

Everything you say there Neil is correct, however I feel sometimes it's like one step forward and two steps back.  e.g the stadiums in FM16 although generic more or less suited the clubs they represented FM17 i think was a step back, Annfield was an example and although only seen a snippet with data analyst camera it looks a further step back, Whats with the stairwells, you could drive a tank down those, they looked much more realistic in FM16, and the exectitive boxes? they look like holiday cottages.  it seems like the art department get it nearly right, then in the next realease it is like they have started from scratch again.  I am hoping that I will be proved ring when the 3D match video comes out, but from past experience I am not holding my breath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pre-order, pre-order, pre-order... The sale campaign is very hot! I hope that the final product will be at least 50% overwhelming as the sale campaign is :)

In my opinion, honestly SI should better reward preoredring fans. You gain beta access 2 weeks before final release. Seriously - what is that??? Past years have shown that FM is playable after first/second patch, that is usually a month after premiere. Moreover if preorder was available lets say at least a month earlier it would be easier to conduct deeper tests, and who is better tester than FM community???

Edited by armbi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, armbi said:

Pre-order, pre-order, pre-order... The sale campaign is very hot! I hope that the final product will be at least 50% overwhelming as the sale campaign is :)

In my opinion, honestly SI should better reward preoredring fans. You gain beta access 2 weeks before final release. Seriously - what is that??? Past years have shown that FM is playable after first/second patch, that is usually a month after premiere. Moreover if preorder was available lets say at least a month earlier it would be easier to conduct deeper tests, and who is better tester than FM community???

If you don't want to pre-order - don't. You really don't have to. I stuck with my save through Beta right up to now and I did the same with FM16, so "playable" is nonsense, frankly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't :) I even hesitate whether to buy the new FM. I just wanted to notice that it would be kind of SI to reward FM fans with earlier access to beta. It also would be beneficial to whole FM community (what I explained before)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, armbi said:

I won't :) I even hesitate whether to buy the new FM. I just wanted to notice that it would be kind of SI to reward FM fans with earlier access to beta. It also would be beneficial to whole FM community (what I explained before)

They don't release it earlier, because it's not ready earlier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, I just gave a suggestion, which I think would be good for both sides. Why? From SI point of view it should give very much probably more preorders, because I think many, many FM fans would like to start testing new release a whole month (or even more) earlier. This month would let us playing and test reporting bugs, while SI could fix that so the final release could be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every year the same discussion...
I remember playing the games years ago, and dont even had a demo to try it....

Now you have...

- Discounts for early buyers

- Demos

- Beta Versions

- Discounts for later buyers

- Forum to give feedback, ideas, resolve technical issues, and so on....

Hell, what do you want more? Being pay by SI for playing the game? :D

Edited by Keyzer Soze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, armbi said:

Look, I just gave a suggestion, which I think would be good for both sides. Why? From SI point of view it should give very much probably more preorders, because I think many, many FM fans would like to start testing new release a whole month (or even more) earlier. This month would let us playing and test reporting bugs, while SI could fix that so the final release could be better.

The vast majority of people who play the beta aren't going to be "testing".  For them it's a way of getting the game earlier, not of helping out SI with testing.  Some are quite adamant about that.

Plus the earlier it is, the less use it is given how much movement I imagine there is in the lead up to release, as there is in any software project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, forameuss said:

The vast majority of people who play the beta aren't going to be "testing".  For them it's a way of getting the game earlier, not of helping out SI with testing.  Some are quite adamant about that.

Plus the earlier it is, the less use it is given how much movement I imagine there is in the lead up to release, as there is in any software project.

If so, why there is so many bugs reports since game release? Playing is testing as long as this game will need 3 or more patches like every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, armbi said:

If so, why there is so many bugs reports since game release? Playing is testing as long as this game will need 3 or more patches like every year. 

Because I didn't say "everyone", I said the majority.  Playing is only testing if you're actively providing bug reports, which most won't.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

Every year the same discussion...
I remember playing the games years ago, and dont even had a demo to try it....

Now you have...

- Discounts for early buyers

- Demos

- Beta Versions

- Discounts for later buyers

- Forum to give feedback, ideas, resolve technical issues, and so on....

Hell, what do you want more? Being pay by SI for playing the game? :D

That is not a bad idea. Probably I will suggest that of future features... Well if I earn salary in game it would be nice to receive in real life. That would make the game even more realistic. HAHAHAHAHAHA. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

 I stuck with my save through Beta right up to now and I did the same with FM16

Yup, me too. Never had any issues with either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

We are 2 weeks before beta release!!:eek:God these weeks will pass like a century!!:seagull:

Really? For me it's come up really quickly. But then I do have a pregnant wife taking up a lot of my time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really excited about the new game, I'm more of a spreadsheet junkie so anything that is more immersive is fine by me. 

Can't believe some of the negative comments. The Football Manager series has always been for the geek football fans who want to run a club in detail, if it's astounding 3D graphics with very little depth that you're after then FIFA is where you should look. Or get out and go watch an actual match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gunner86 said:

Really? For me it's come up really quickly. But then I do have a pregnant wife taking up a lot of my time

You think you’ll have time for FM? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Barside said:

You think you’ll have time for FM? 

I fully expect to have it running for 8,760 hours this year. In that time I'm aiming to complete a season :lol:

I've foregone a lot of my other gaming stuff this year, and leant my xbox to my brother whose off to uni, so FM will be my only game this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

I fully expect to have it running for 8,760 hours this year. In that time I'm aiming to complete a season :lol:

I've foregone a lot of my other gaming stuff this year, and leant my xbox to my brother whose off to uni, so FM will be my only game this year

Had my son in May - for the first 4 weeks I played the most FM since my student days, because he was sleeping 20 hours a day... since then lucky to get an hour a week!

My primary use of FM was always network game vs my brother... nagging wives and children have put an end to the glory days, but still dream of getting a good save on the go. Hopefully it'll come full circle and it will be a 4 player save with our kids in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one. What do you think of that prediction, @westy8chimp? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XaW said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one. What do you think of that prediction, @westy8chimp? ;)

This has the potential to be the most interesting of the videos yet. Let's hope for some sneaky match footage in there too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest El Payaso

Not expecting much to change in terms of the tactics system as it is quite good in a way it is currently and even with the current setup the AI is really struggling to build anything sensible. Of course one thing I would hope would be that we would have the generic role for every position so that we actually could (basically) create our own roles and also make tailored roles based on the players' specific attributes.

Still keeping fingers crossed that training is an area that really has been changed as it has been so dull and boring for years now and that is an area that really could face an overhaul. Not optimistic on this happening though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the data lock date been confirmed yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest El Payaso
15 hours ago, Barside said:

That’s the spirit, passing on the FM addiction to a new generation. :D

Planning to pass it on to my girlfriend as she is Latina after all. There must be some love towards football in her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems there is a fair amount to announce this year yet every announcement / Twitter game has been underwhelming and boring and increased the distance between si and fans. 

I've rarely felt more alienated by SI, and yet I have no qualms believing 18 will overall be better than those before it. 

I resent the fact I've bought the game and that I'll end up playing it but that's just the vice that the (original, proper) creators of the game have created. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this for the more "hardcore" fm players.      

 

Edited by Sheriff7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sheriff7 said:

New video anouncement from Miles!!  

 

also its about sports science and the medical centre 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like a good addition, but it feels like they've put a lot of the same information on different screens. Also, it would be a good feature if part of the scouting reports you could get similar information on a potential new signing rather than the usual one sentence in the scout report. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good. Injuries are an area where we've been a little lean on input in the past, so this looks like a way of increasing awareness of when players are most at risk and gives us a better chance to manage their conditioning. Hopefully SI will also have managed to find a way to increase the overall number of injuries as I'm convinced that the overall volume of minor knock injuries in FM are noticeably lower than real life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RTHerringbone said:

Looks good. Injuries are an area where we've been a little lean on input in the past, so this looks like a way of increasing awareness of when players are most at risk and gives us a better chance to manage their conditioning. Hopefully SI will also have managed to find a way to increase the overall number of injuries as I'm convinced that the overall volume of minor knock injuries in FM are noticeably lower than real life.

Was thinking this too. In the vast majority of my saves, my injury levels are already very low. Having a feature which makes it easier to avoid injuries could make it farcical if they can't find ways to tweak the numbers. 

Probably not something a lot of people want to hear when you consider the posts over the years bemoaning excessive injury levels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a potentially superb feature, far too many FM'ers seem to get into all kind of troubling managing the fitness of their squad & the various report screens look like they could be one of the most useful additions to FM in a very long time.

Just hope that as with the other announcements the feature is written in a way that allows the AI managers to access the information & to make decisions based upon these reports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I typically pay attention to having sports scientists at the club be of good quality. It seems I'll get to spend more time on this. :D

One specific question: will the type of pitch influence injuries? A RL case exists in my team where a player has been instructed not to play on artificial pitches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my weaknesses on this game is insisting on operating with a small squad. This is in response to the insane amount of bitching from fringe players, so I often end up with injuries through fatigue. Anything that gives me a nudge on who I'm overplaying can only be a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...