Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

4 hours ago, CFuller said:

I've found another little feature that I really like.

In the past, whenever you delayed the confirmation of a transfer for a week, you had to wait until the end of that week before your next chance to confirm it. In FM17, you can now bring that confirmation screen up at any point during that week without having to delay longer than necessary. That is very useful if you have agreed to sign a player, but want to wait and see if a better transfer target will join you first before you confirm the deal.

This is a good little feature. However, it was also in FM16.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, cerud said:

This is a good little feature. However, it was also in FM16.

Oh, okay. I never realised that this had been included before FM17. Then again, I didn't really play FM16 that much.

1 hour ago, Hansaplast said:

Well.. imho that's one of the best additions to FM17.

The contextual advice are the "flashing" info popups about things you should consider.

For example if your assistant thinks that a player will become unhappy with his playing time.

You mean the little yellow icon in top right when on a player profile for example, which you click and brings up a pop up box offering advice.   ah that's what contextual is.  so knocking contextual off removes that pop up icon giving you any advice?

Out of interest, does the AI still put lone forwards on attack duty even without an AMC in behind, isolating him? SI don't contribute to these threads much anymore, PaulC I miss you so much. :*( Mods, you must know this. Unless the UI is playing tricks on me, I see that almost every week so far in the EPL. Playing away to City off their first 11 shots a whopping 1 were on target, and that had little to do with me (Arsenul) packing the defense overly much. Would be a bit of a bummer considering AI improvements were talked about -- that is the kind of stuff that was covered by entry level guides a couple seasons back. I care about added competition personally, but that would be a bit of a bummer. :-) I'm pretty sure Sunderland did this with Defoe of a 4-1-4-1 DM (they had 5 shots, 0 on target). I'm not playing of deepish lines, or else this would look more pronounced as the forward would be dragged alongside to them quickly.

On another plus side, there is some really nice build-up play if you know how to set up yourself. ;-) I also take back what I said earlier about a lack of anti-aliasing and more custom tweaks. They're in, which is fantastic. Either I was blind or they were patched in since. I'm leaning towards the former. Another thing, it's been 4 years since the major overhauls as prior to FM 2013, and the quick simed competitions are still producing stats as if matches weren't fully 90 minutes. Whilst the distances covered by players have raised to insane levels for some reasons on the fully match engine (15 kilometres a match?), anything that goes through the quick sim produces 9 kilometres per player at best, and also matches are hundreds off passes short off the "real thing" -- like it used to be for the full match engine up to 2013. Is it difficult to re-balance this or why is that still the case? It's like two different games even in terms of stats, which seemed off back then and still does now.

36 minutes ago, Hingis said:

Red cards festival against the human team has to stop ! FIX IT ! 

I have some of the fewest cards in the league so far, but that's got to be expected as the possession average is the highest, which automatically leads to the least fouls alongside to it, as can be seen in the team statistics of the league. There's no distinction made between human and AI, they have the exact same options and use them (see my enquiry about AI tactics above, which on previous versions have actually harmed their performance). So unless you get that thought out of your head, you won't ever understand the game.  Not as a defensive of the game, but if the AI is going to be improved, you have to shape up or slip out, or ask your assistants which are in there for reason, and everybody spreading such nonsensicals makes it harder for others to learn the game. Which in turn may make SI less reluctant to beef it all up, which, would be a pity as some like the added challenge too. :-) Either you are exaggerating, you have a trigger happy squad, an aggressive tactics, an overly attacking one which forces players into lots of last-ditch tackles or there's still something off about the refs which I haven't taken a look at yet due to the lack of match days past. In past iterations the performance of refs hugely depended on their discipline attribute. Some handed out barely a warning per match, others averaged up to 7, all based on research and attributes. Which means if you're unlucky and this is still the case, if you get a sequence of matches where the officials are of that average-of-7-kind, that can give off such impressions.

Additionally, you may be just unlucky!

51 minutes ago, Hingis said:

YOU fix it. As has been said a thousand times, the game doesn't distinguish between human and AI users. If you're getting more red cards than the other teams in your league, it's clearly something you're doing. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

This was bug reported in the Beta (by me) and said to be under review so if you dinnae like it make your voice heard in the bug forum.

It's a known issue and one we're looking to address. Thanks. 

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Romanista. said:

a few players seem to have a very sudden change in value. i had Leandro Castan go from 7.5Mil value to 625K value in 1 day.

also teams buying players for 1Mil and then that player constantly having 5Mil value doesnt make sense.

If you have any examples of this would be good to raise them ideally with saves here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/517-transfers-contracts-and-scouting-issues/

Thanks. 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Bigpapa42 said:

I mentioned this before but as I've been goofing around and starting up new random games, I have to say the new process of Choosing Nations, Leagues, etc, is atrociosuly slow. That wouldn't be nearly as annoying if it kept the settings you had previously. It takes 15 or 20 minutes to do exactly the same that took 30 seconds of FM16 and previous versions. When I click on a nation on the Choose Nation screen, it doesn't show up for like 10 seconds. So there's no way to simply click thru and select all of them you want quickly. Then you have to use the drop downs to adjust the leagues for each of those nations. Its painfully slow.

Any chance of raising this here? - https://community.sigames.com/forum/516-user-interface-issues/

Thanks. 

First i thought, its ok that there are too many goals in this game . but I have many results that are very unrealistic . AI vs AI (full  detail level) . This needs to be fixed . 

Unbenannt.png 

just one example

FM17 looks good up till now. Only a few games played.. AI seems to have improved, trasfers seem realistic. I have to say the social feeds need a bit of getting used to, starting unemployed it seems a bit to much info with all the speculation concerning managers who might or might not take charge somewhere. Tactical instructions haven't changed at all, although that could have done with a slight overhaul, but overall I'm happy with the new game. 

The only thing that keeps bugging me (for years) is when I manage clubs in the absolute bottom of the FM database, say Swedish 4th tier, where stadiums IRL mainly consist of one tiny stand and a lot of nothing, FM still shows me 4 pitch-wide stands around each pitch. They're not all covered and seated, als most were in FM16, but still way too big for that level. SI needs to realise that lower league in England is completely different from lower league football in the rest of the world. Conference N/S (level 6) clubs may have real stadium-like grounds, but a 3rd tier club in Scandinavia or Eastern Europe is lucky to have one 20m wide main stand, and that's it.

When a 'stadium'-capacity is 500, how on earth can that be represented by a full stretch 4-stand stadium?   In my book, capacity 500 means a small 200-capacity main stand, and room for 300 spectators to watch te game from grass behind the advertisement boarding. It doesn't seem that hard for SI to build and would add a lot of realism for me as a lower league manager. A (in-game) stadium editor would be fantastic, but when SI manages to get the capacity numbers to match the way a ground looks and drop the idea that a ground needs to consist of 4 pitch-wide stands, I'd be happy enough. Off course, I realise it's optic fluff, and it's not a real game breaker, but I get more disappointed each year when the new FM still hasn't gained realism in this department. It makes me miss the real life feel and atmosphere of lower league football.

The entire stadium design in FM needs a complete overhaul. Frustratingly, the stadiums were better represented in older versions of FM than what they are now.  The Scottish team I support (Stirling) used to have the basic design of the stadium right (one tier stand at either side, uncovered terracing at either end), whereas now there's a massive 2-tier stand at one side, terracing at the other, and nothing at either end. Completely un-necessary. 

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The entire stadium design in FM needs a complete overhaul. Frustratingly, the stadiums were better represented in older versions of FM than what they are now.  The Scottish team I support (Stirling) used to have the basic design of the stadium right (one tier stand at either side, uncovered terracing at either end), whereas now there's a massive 2-tier stand at one side, terracing at the other, and nothing at either end. Completely un-necessary. 

Nothing on either end seems like a big plus to me. Not for Stirling off course, but the fact that a 'nothing' is an option in FM is new to me. 

Then again, I can imagine SI not making exact copies of every stadium in the game, therefore an editing option seems like a good addition. Let modders make 3d-stadium packs. Seems good fun to me to put some hours into fixing the stadiums to something resembling the real life thing, like that of Sterling. Especially at characteristic grounds like that at Brechin for example, as we're talking about Scottish lower league, with a hedge/nothing along the 'long' side and a huge all seater behind one goal. Those would really lift my FM-experience tenfold.  Same goes for surrounding landscape. I see many Industrial estates where one would expect rural surroundings, and vice versa. A stadium-editor would solve it all, also for the custom leagues I often use. When I get a new job, the first thing I do is go along each team in 'my' league to fix the kits and logo's. Would be great to be able to also fix the stands and surroundings aswell. 

I wonder if a stadium-editor is something SI is (or have been) considering. And if so what made them say no to the idea, and decided that, for example, a pre-match line-up was a better addition to the 3d match-experience.

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, haffaz77 said:

First i thought, its ok that there are too many goals in this game . but I have many results that are very unrealistic . AI vs AI (full  detail level) . This needs to be fixed . 

Unbenannt.png 

just one example

If possible it would be worth posting this in the following thread along with a pkm.

Hi,

first of all, great game, 2017 adds a lot of depth and great features. But: my computer is really struggling to run the game and produce a lot of heat (and noise) both in and outside of matches. I went back to FM 2016 (Graphic setting Very high) to compare and my laptop is nowhere near as noisy.

My (<1 year old) laptop have 8gb ram, Intel i7 processor and Geforce 960m graphic card and FM 2016 is running smoothly with very high graphic settings. 

I have tried some things in FM 2017: disabled GPU-rendering in the interface makes it ok outside matches (still more noise than 2016, and not very pretty :(). I tried different graphic settings for matches, high setting is noisy and  runs ok (FPS drops and the end of matches), still there is even some noise when set to low! 

I love the game but all the fan noise is making it hard to play, what could be the reason for FM 2017 being so much harder to run than 2016? Even when set to (much) lower graphics?

Thanks

EDIT: posted a new topic in the Bugs forum: 

I can't even download the demo in steam, blocked for brazilian users. Very disappointed with bad treatment of SI for brazilian players. Between not having the demo to test it, regen clone faces ruining long term saves and overall not many new features, it looks like i will have to stay in FM2016 and not buy FM2017 (it seems possible to buy from international shops instead of steam).

One thing I don't understand, the game advices you constantly changing tactics and playing style, will have adverse effect on team performance... yet the assistant/coaches will constantly advice and spam your inbox to change tactics, shape, mentality, roles for every match..

• Administrators

Please raise it in the database issues thread and this can be tweaked for the next data update. Thanks. 

17 minutes ago, Wells said:

One thing I don't understand, the game advices you constantly changing tactics and playing style, will have adverse effect on team performance... yet the assistant/coaches will constantly advice and spam your inbox to change tactics, shape, mentality, roles for every match..

Does my head too, also in game during a match, we're winning 3-0 and strolling the game yet my Ass man tells me we are being overrun in midfield EH? is he serious, you soon learn to ignore them.

43 minutes ago, jc1 said:

Does my head too, also in game during a match, we're winning 3-0 and strolling the game yet my Ass man tells me we are being overrun in midfield EH? is he serious, you soon learn to ignore them.

He is simply telling you that the opposition have more players in midfield than you do, nothing more.

1 minute ago, Cougar2010 said:

He is simply telling you that the opposition have more players in midfield than you do, nothing more.

Cougar I think you should do a little guide. You are very helpful and seem to have lots of knowledge.  Maybe a beginners guide to FM and all the questions you were afraid to ask.

:)

Decided to sell Giroud at the beginning of first season January transfer window. Alexis was not happy about my decision and wanted to have a chat, because he felt that the team now lacked depth in the attack. I told him not to worry, as obviously I had planned to bring in a replacement for Giroud. On the final day of transfer window I brought in Lukaku to replace Giroud. That that didn't satisfy Sanchez and he is now unhappy, because I broke my promise. In my opinion, Lukaku is more than adequate replacement for Giroud and there are only a handful of strikers in the game who are better than him but still that is not good enough for Alexis. 

Seems a bit harsh, but I'll probably manage to deal with it somehow...

5 minutes ago, kuraeero said:

Decided to sell Giroud at the beginning of first season January transfer window. Alexis was not happy about my decision and wanted to have a chat, because he felt that the team now lacked depth in the attack. I told him not to worry, as obviously I had planned to bring in a replacement for Giroud. On the final day of transfer window I brought in Lukaku to replace Giroud. That that didn't satisfy Sanchez and he is now unhappy, because I broke my promise. In my opinion, Lukaku is more than adequate replacement for Giroud and there are only a handful of strikers in the game who are better than him but still that is not good enough for Alexis. 

Seems a bit harsh, but I'll probably manage to deal with it somehow...

No-one ever said players weren't finicky little gits .. Alexis probably has doubts whether Lukaku is any better than Giroud.

9 minutes ago, Welshace said:

No-one ever said players weren't finicky little gits .. Alexis probably has doubts whether Lukaku is any better than Giroud.

I almost had a player revolt trying to get rid of Rooney, managed to talk them down. But can't get Rooney off my books. Need some Chinese money

Yes I have a german defender who is constantly undermining me as the manager on a number of fronts. Put him up for sale but no one wants him yet! Looks like I might have to sell him very cheaply.

The 64-bit version is a fantastic add-on, the difference in performance is immense, at first i thought about upgrading my laptop, but with the 64 bit it is not needed as the game runs smoothly (faster than FM 16). Great addition.

57 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

I do understand that, it's not only this there's play more like direct passes/shorter passes or many others which goes against what the team actually plays like.

Then there's the pre game info telling me to change to a 4-4-2 even though I've never used 4-4-2 in almost 2 seasons. When I take over a team I'll decide if the last Ass man has the coaching stats I want and I'll keep or get rid purely for his coaching, as far as tactics are concerned I change when needed by what I see on the pitch. TBH an Ass manager is a thing of the past nowadays, generally he's an assistant coach.

11 minutes ago, Georgik said:

The 64-bit version is a fantastic add-on, the difference in performance is immense, at first i thought about upgrading my laptop, but with the 64 bit it is not needed as the game runs smoothly (faster than FM 16). Great addition.

How do you check which version you have ?

I have a very high-end laptop, but FM17 performance is very very poor...

thanks for help

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

Please raise it in the database issues thread and this can be tweaked for the next data update. Thanks. 

Hi Neil, does this mean that the stadiums are not randomly built things (by capacity) but are actually arranged by SI to match reality. That doesn't really show in most lower leagues.

This possible tweak in the next update, does that mean a new savegame or can we play on, with the Sterling Albion stadium looking more like it should look? 

There really should be an in-game editor for stadiums to tackle these things ourselves. Would be a fantastic feature from my point of view as a lower league journeyman manager..

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, ommerson said:

Hi Neil, does this mean that the stadiums are not randomly built things (by capacity) but are actually arranged by SI to match reality. That doesn't really show in most lower leagues.

This possible tweak in the next update, does that mean a new savegame or can we play on, with the Sterling Albion stadium looking more like it should look? 

There really should be an in-game editor for stadiums to tackle these things ourselves. Would be a fantastic feature from my point of view as a lower league journeyman manager..

Each stand should have a rough capacity set to mimic real life - by the sounds of that example the entire capacity has incorrectly been set to one stand. 

43 minutes ago, hubx said:

How do you check which version you have ?

I have a very high-end laptop, but FM17 performance is very very poor...

thanks for help

If your OS is 64bit, FM will be 64bit.

Define very very poor performance. My i3 with 4gb and intel graphics card runs it fine on medium graphics detail.

17 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Each stand should have a rough capacity set to mimic real life - by the sounds of that example the entire capacity has incorrectly been set to one stand. 

Thanks for that reply. In my lower league that option would do it: one 500 stand and three 0 stands would better resemble most lower leaugue stadiums. But I guess we can't change the four 'stand-capacities' in the current pre- or in-game editor ourselves, can we?  

Eagerly awaiting an in-game stadium editor...  :thup:

I am finding with FM17 that I keep running into a message that tells me that I am low on memory allocation and to quit the game. Unfortunately, you do not have the opportunity to save before it quits for you. This has occurred 3 times.

Therefore, I have  given FM17 a high priority in task manager>details, rather than normal or Realtime (not sure what realtime does) and enabled page saving in virtual memory in the System Propetites tab. I currently have 64 Bit sytem, 8GB of Ram, plenty of HD space. I do run two monitors and notice that Firtefox takes up a chunk of memory allocation. This is the first time that I have had the message in any application I have run?

Anyone else or any advice apart from buy more Ram :)

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Kazza said:

I am finding with FM17 that I keep running into a message that tells me that I am low on memory allocation and to quit the game. Unfortunately, you do not have the opportunity to save before it quits for you. This has occurred 3 times.

Therefore, I have  given FM17 a high priority in task manager>details, rather than normal or Realtime (not sure what realtime does) and enabled page saving in virtual memory in the System Propetites tab. I currently have 64 Bit sytem, 8GB of Ram, plenty of HD space. I do run two monitors and notice that Firtefox takes up a chunk of memory allocation. This is the first time that I have had the message in any application I have run?

Anyone else or any advice apart from buy more Ram :)

Raise the issue here please and we can get more info - https://community.sigames.com/forum/513-crashes-and-technical-issues-on-pc/

Thanks. 

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, Fabregas_04 said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned a thousand times already, but for the love of God SI, please fix goalkeeper handling at the near post  :seagull:

Would be worth adding any PKM examples you have of this in here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/515-match-engine-issues/ - that way the proper people can take a look at the issue.

Cheers,
Seb.

Match engine still seems in great shape after a full season of watching it on (mostly) Comprehensive/Extended, with some Full thrown in for important moments or matches. The one thing that stands out as superb this year compared to others are cutbacks and crosses from the byline. No more smashing the ball into the side netting when a simple tap-in is available. Also seen some beautiful one-touch give-and-go counters.

The number of shots in general does seem high, though, especially long shots (and this even without relevant PPMs, with Work Ball Into Box turned on or off, and with passing options available), but I think that's also inflated by: 1. the tendency of players to still shoot from range when they have the chance to get closer to goal (i.e., on a breakaway) and 2. the number of free kicks around the area that I'm seeing. Seems like a lot of fouls/free kicks in general — for both my team and AI teams.

Also, I don't know whether it's a modeling or ball physics thing, but it seems really hard for players to get direct free kicks on target, especially as they get closer to the goal. If it's far out, they'll hit the target (and the shot will usually be saved), but otherwise the ball tends to fly over; they don't seem to be able to get it to dip or curl on goal properly. The actual number of free kicks scored seems about right, but the percentage that hit the target seems woeful, at least to my eye.

The amount of highlights that begin with a free kick outside the box is very reminiscent of one of the FM15 builds. And in case of doubt, it was a bit too high then too. 

As is the norm with most years, the amount of goals scored in leagues on full detail dwarf those of simulated leagues. The full detail ones obviously using the actual match engine. That would suggest to me that shots on goal are perhaps too high in this year's engine. Not remotely game-breaking, but perhaps could be looked at for a future update. 

9 hours ago, Hingis said:

Last year I had the least yellow and red cards in the league... with a Control strategy with Close Down Much More...

You shouldn't always go for the nasty tackle... :D

Did SI make a conscious effort to tone down the effect of tutoring, or is something just up with my save? I'm seeing little-to-no personality change from tutoring, and nothing like the dramatic changes of years past. It's not even that the tutoring is breaking down; it's completing just fine, but with almost no impact on the tutee. Same goes for the PPM-transfer option: I had a player who was "delighted" with his tutoring, but he didn't receive the one PPM the tutor had (Curls Ball). Just seems like a six-month waste of time.

If this is on purpose, it makes me sad, because I'm a little obsessive about having a team composed only of Professional/Resolute/Spirited personalities after a few seasons, and that may no longer be possible.

5 hours ago, kuraeero said:

Decided to sell Giroud at the beginning of first season January transfer window. Alexis was not happy about my decision and wanted to have a chat, because he felt that the team now lacked depth in the attack. I told him not to worry, as obviously I had planned to bring in a replacement for Giroud. On the final day of transfer window I brought in Lukaku to replace Giroud. That that didn't satisfy Sanchez and he is now unhappy, because I broke my promise. ...

What was the squad status of either player?

I sold a left back with Rotation status and got the same moaning from a teammate.

Even buying another left back which was as good didn't change the complaint.

Then I thought about it and bought - just as an experiment - another left back.

This guy was weaker but I gave him in his contract also a Rotation status and afterwards everything was dandy :cool:

After over 100 hours of gameplay so far, I still haven't seen a highlights package for a player, either via a scout report or via an agent. Something that Miles said was in the game in the features video. 

Anyone else seen this? 

EDIT - I don't mean a 'goal' highlight you sometimes see on the news feed. 

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

After over 100 hours of gameplay so far, I still haven't seen a highlights package for a player, either via a scout report or via an agent. Something that Miles said was in the game in the features video. 

Anyone else seen this? 

Literally have one in my save right now. From the scout report it's in the bottom right hand corner as the button option.

21 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Literally have one in my save right now. From the scout report it's in the bottom right hand corner as the button option.

Cool, does it show a montage of goals, etc? Or just some action from his last match? I can imagine it would be difficult to code different highlights from different matches as each would have to load up separately. 

Anyone else seen this? 

Had a few, little box to view highlights appears in bottom right.  I had one for Michael Keane when i scouted him, basically showed all the aerial duels he won, aswell as tackles, goal attempts.  Pretty comprehensive

Archived