Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

2 hours ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

So to expand upon my last post - Has anyone been hit with sudden drop in board confidence resulting in a points goal demand etc  (possibly in a strange situation , ie in the middle of the season or when you are just outside your target) or been hit with                  potentially unrealistic expectations in general ?

There are a couple similar situation in the data forum and one of the researches is suggesting it may be a bug rather than a DB issue.

My example was getting hit with a 11 points in 5 games demand off the board when I was sitting 2nd only 5 points adrift of Celtic with 7 games left (after being top from October to April) , my approval nosedived to 30% and I was eventually sacked. Now the issue I wanted to log in the DB forum was Rangers expectations being too high (or King being too sack happy) given it didn't reflect upon out situation in real life ( Rangers start with a non negotiable "win league" expectation). The Head Researcher suggested this wasn't a DB issue and that I shouldn't have been sacked for sitting second etc.

The second example was one of the lads in that thread managing St Johnstone, he was sitting 4th after 15 games , comfortably meeting expectations (probably overachieving) and was hit with a 11 points in 15 games target for "performing well below expectations"

6RSRQp8.png

Anyone else seen similar things in game ?

On the BETA i think i lost 3 in a row with Everton, and had the board wanting 11pts from 5 games, which i got down to 9 points.  But on full release no, not yet.

Although i will eventually, as i suck

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a couple of neat touches I've come across this evening as I've been playing.

Last season my part time club got a bit of a star striker through with 1.5*CA at 16yo.  It didn't take long for bigger clubs to become interested so as soon as I could I offered him a pro deal but he would only accept non-contract terms.  A few months on having made five sub appearances & one start bigger clubs again started sniffing around so I thought I would try offering him a contract again expecting him to either refuse or stick to non-contract terms but after a couple of promises he agreed a reasonable part time deal.

Maybe its nothing new but it felt very realistic that I had given him a chance and he responded positively by signing the contract albeit with a couple of fair promises.

The second was a player coming to me regarding interest from a bigger club.  In previous versions you would agree to let him go once a reasonable bid was made but now he actually wanted to know what a reasonable amount was and negotiated it himself.

And this happens before the first game of the season : 

George_Pitu_Inbox.png

George_Pitu_Inbox_2.png

Spurs is seen as a bigger club than Liverpool ? This is the same problem that we were facing in FM 16, and when i though it was adressed, now it happens again. Also Lovren is in the same situation and Henderson, Clyne, Sturridge, Ings and Sakho are all wanted by Man City, and i'm sure they will demand a move too. This savegame is broken before it even began.

How is it broken? These teams are in the Champions League, Liverpool aren't even in Europe in the first season. If Spurs have those players on their radar, then it's a great incentive for the player to play in the top European competition. 

Of course, if you're a good enough manager, you can always firefight these situations anyway. 

And even if they demand to leave, Coutinho and Firmino will get you top dollar, so you can sign replacements easy enough,  

I just started a game with Ebbsfleet United. The one sponsor I had at the beginning disappeared 3 days into the game. I started a new game (previous one is saved) and again picked Ebbsfleet United and now I'm 4 days into the game and still have the same sponsor I started with.

Before:

1.jpg

After:

2.jpg

I started a number of new games to test this, with just the English league and a medium database, and it's still occurring mostly within a week of gameplay.

Edit: there are no news items about it either.

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

How is it broken? These teams are in the Champions League, Liverpool aren't even in Europe in the first season. If Spurs have those players on their radar, then it's a great incentive for the player to play in the top European competition. 

Of course, if you're a good enough manager, you can always firefight these situations anyway. 

And even if they demand to leave, Coutinho and Firmino will get you top dollar, so you can sign replacements easy enough,  

I think you're missing the point a bit. Whilst it may not be 'broken' this is clearly shaky behaviour. In real life I'd say these players were a million miles away from wanting to join Spurs at the start of this season, even if Spurs had been interested. Barca may have turned their heads but there's something wrong when teams the same level are forcing players into these conversations at the start of the season before a ball has been kicked. 

3 hours ago, Georgik said:

And this happens before the first game of the season : 

Spurs is seen as a bigger club than Liverpool ? This is the same problem that we were facing in FM 16, and when i though it was adressed, now it happens again. Also Lovren is in the same situation and Henderson, Clyne, Sturridge, Ings and Sakho are all wanted by Man City, and i'm sure they will demand a move too. This savegame is broken before it even began.

As Dave has said Spurs are in the Champion's League while Liverpool aren't.

You have many options when you chat to the players as well and even if you agree to let them go that won't happen unless the other team make a bid.

1 minute ago, DP said:

I think you're missing the point a bit. Whilst it may not be 'broken' this is clearly shaky behaviour. In real life I'd say these players were a million miles away from wanting to join Spurs at the start of this season, even if Spurs had been interested. Barca may have turned their heads but there's something wrong when teams the same level are forcing players into these conversations at the start of the season before a ball has been kicked. 

How do you know?

In the save Spurs have triggered the conversation by showing interest in the players.  Did they show the same interest IRL? Even if they did how do you know a conversation wasn't had behind closed doors between the player/agent/manager/directors so everyone knew where they stood?

When you work with people you talk to them all the time and yet in FM users seem to want to shy away from that and not speak to their players which creates a disconnect.

That said I'm not saying improvements couldn't be made as the likes of Coutinho & Henderson seem settled at Liverpool and I don't think they would leave for Spurs but thats perhaps because IRL players maybe take a longer term view.

Listen, I think we both know if Spurs showed any interest in Firmino or Coutinho at the start of this season it would not have resulted in them both wanting to speak to the manager about joining them. Something is off a tad. If Spurs were regularly in the CL - then maybe - but I'm guessing there's a slight reputation issue with them. Probably needs tweaking a notch. 

1 minute ago, DP said:

Listen, I think we both know if Spurs showed any interest in Firmino or Coutinho at the start of this season it would not have resulted in them both wanting to speak to the manager about joining them. Something is off a tad. If Spurs were regularly in the CL - then maybe - but I'm guessing there's a slight reputation issue with them. Probably needs tweaking a notch. 

No we don't and if you think for a moment that a conversation of some sort wouldn't happen then you are way out of touch with real life.

If thats the case then there is no point discussing it further.

26 minutes ago, DP said:

In real life, they are managed by the experienced figure of Jurgen Klopp, a world class manager who many players would be happy to play under.  He's been there a whole season now, so in real life, I wouldn't really expect Coutinho to be THAT interested in Spurs. CL football though, changes things. 

Regardless though, In the game, they're being managed by Georgik, and no matter what rep he set at the start, it's a new manager at the club and one without any previous managerial experience. All of that plus what I mentioned beforehand will be a factor in that. 

8 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

No we don't and if you think for a moment that a conversation of some sort wouldn't happen then you are way out of touch with real life.

If thats the case then there is no point discussing it further.

'Some sort of conversation' - what do you mean? Yes if Spurs were interested some sort of conversation may have happened but it certainly wouldn't have been one demanding to join them :/

Dagenham Dave - fair point but we don't know what Rep has been set. If it was the top reputation I wouldn't expect this behaviour. 

2 minutes ago, DP said:

Dagenham Dave - fair point but we don't know what Rep has been set. If it was the top reputation I wouldn't expect this behaviour. 

He's still a new manager at the club. And one without previous managerial experience.  It's hard to tell what would happen in that situation IRL as Liverpool are unlikely ever to appoint a totally inexperienced manager. 

15 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

Their is a lot of information on all screens yet one missing that would speed up and make picking teams easier is the Players star ratings on the 'i' info screen you have to go to their full information page to view it. 

Yup, totally agree. I've no idea why they removed that. They've added a lot of good information to the little information pop up box, yet removed one of the most important things. Bizarre. 

23 minutes ago, DP said:

'Some sort of conversation' - what do you mean? Yes if Spurs were interested some sort of conversation may have happened but it certainly wouldn't have been one demanding to join them :/

So now you accept some sort of conversation may have happened which is different to what you said previously.

Neither player is "demanding" anything, both would like a conversation regarding Spurs interest within the limitations that FM & computer coding currently offer which is much more restrictive than human interaction IRL.

• SI Staff
5 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

The Players ability with his weaker foot is also missing. You get Right Only, Right or Both. But nothing on the weaker one .

Try 'Development > Tactics'  :thup:

The love for FM 17 is back really enjoying this years game,the match engine is the best I have ever seen and just think its a lot more polished game this year. Nice work SI was starting to lose faith in FM 16 but this years game is really good so far. Stil think a few players have been overrated in the game but guess that is why we all love football its a game of opinions.

4 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Yeah, we know where to find that, he's talking about the little info pop up box when you hover over the 'i' icon. They've added in a lot of info, but taken some key information away. Although I can't remember if weaker foot was in that box before. The star ratings definitely were though, it's a poor omission IMO. 

47 minutes ago, DP said:

For me the problem with situations like this is that it undermines the player's ability to play the game with the team of their choosing.  If I've chosen to play as Liverpool, it is because I want to play a season with the current line-up - otherwise what is the point in having an updated database after every transfer window? These kind of effects shouldn't kick in until the mid-season transfer window at the earliest.

For those playing as some random team for the general challenge this may not matter, but for most casual players it is about playing as the team they support and that means that an intact and stable current line-up is important to that experience.

1 minute ago, rp1966 said:

For those playing as some random team for the general challenge this may not matter, but for most casual players it is about playing as the team they support and that means that an intact and stable current line-up is important to that experience.

And that's why you have a pre-game editor if those things are important to you. 

• SI Staff
11 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Yeah, we know where to find that, he's talking about the little info pop up box when you hover over the 'i' icon. They've added in a lot of info, but taken some key information away. Although I can't remember if weaker foot was in that box before. The star ratings definitely were though, it's a poor omission IMO. 

One to raise in either the UI forum or the Features forum.

7 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

And that's why you have a pre-game editor if those things are important to you. 

It's also why you have the option to prevent transfers in the first window, but that is undermined both by continuing to allow loans and by players being able to agitate for moves creating an unstable dressing room. 'Use the editor' is not a reasonable response for the casual player of FM - that tool is a deep and complex beast and can cause more harm than good unless you have spent time learning how to maintain the balance of the game.

Personally I'd like to see the option to freeze all movement for the whole of the first season, but that doesn't appear to be an opinion shared by SI or most other players.

6 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Yes found it their. Their is a lot of page turning & ''insert Column'' jobs to find simple info which can add a lot of time to a save. Thankfully November is the month that I use to get used to the layout and new features.

What difference has 64 bit made? I'm playing the same amount of leagues on a 120,000 player limit ''large database' as FM 15 yet game speed is the same half star.

& Where is ''receding Hair line'' for the Manager it's Bald or Short on top?

42 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

So now you accept some sort of conversation may have happened which is different to what you said previously.

Neither player is "demanding" anything, both would like a conversation regarding Spurs interest within the limitations that FM & computer coding currently offer which is much more restrictive than human interaction IRL.

'Wants to talk about leaving to join Tottenham' - best case I'm hoping it doesn't take too much convincing to stay but either way it's not worded particularly well. 

'Wants to talk about Tottenhams interest ' may be better. And I'm hoping it's not one of these conversations where the player demands to go no matter what that you see quite often. 

On 04/11/2016 at 23:25, stevemc said:

Some early feedback from me:

• Clicking the icon to open the game in the first instance seems to take much longer than FM16 (MacBook Pro 2.9GHz Intel Core i7) to launch from desktop (16 minutes). The game itself runs absolutely fine once I'm in.

^^This is a real issue for me, anyone else suffering? Is it a mac only problem?

EDIT: Seems like someone else has highlighted it here too:

I play the game on 'comprehensive' highlights - I've noticed that in this edition you don't always see the kick-off. I know there was some discussion last year about whether it should be shown or not. For 'key' highlights maybe not. To me it should be there as the kick-off and ref's whistle at the end of each period serve as bookmarks in the highlights. It feels a little wrong to jump 5 minutes into a match as I just did.

2 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

I play the game on 'comprehensive' highlights - I've notice that in this edition you don't always see the kick-off. I know there was some discussion last year about whether it should be shown or not. For 'key' highlights maybe not. To me it should be there as the kick-off and ref's whistle at the end of each period serve as bookmarks in the highlights. It feels a little wrong to jump 5 minutes into a match as I just did.

I agree with this too, I always like to see both the kick off and the final whistle, regardless of whether there's an actual highlight in either. Adds to the sense of occasion. 

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I agree with this too, I always like to see both the kick off and the final whistle, regardless of whether there's an actual highlight in either. Adds to the sense of occasion. 

Hey, we agreed on something! :)

33 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

For me the problem with situations like this is that it undermines the player's ability to play the game with the team of their choosing.  If I've chosen to play as Liverpool, it is because I want to play a season with the current line-up - otherwise what is the point in having an updated database after every transfer window? These kind of effects shouldn't kick in until the mid-season transfer window at the earliest.

I can understand that and agree with it to some extent.

With squads set up as they are on 1st Sep ish then that sort of interaction probably shouldn't appear until Oct ish at the earliest with players who fall out of favour looking for transfers in the Jan window.

Could SI do something to tone it down between Jul & Sep of the first season without affecting the users who want to buy & sell players in that first summer I don't know.

1 minute ago, janesy20 said:

Still the terrible marking is evident in nearly every goal scored. This is what I'm seeing in nearly every game - there is no way the defender would just leave his position and mark the wrong side of the attacker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bViEDBbazSY

Your clip is private.

3 minutes ago, janesy20 said:

Still the terrible marking is evident in nearly every goal scored. This is what I'm seeing in nearly every game - there is no way the defender would just leave his position and mark the wrong side of the attacker.

You clearly haven't watched Sunderland this season. 

5 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I tend to respond to the post, and not the poster :rolleyes:

This is an absolutely laughable claim and if you believe this then you are deeply deluded. You are probably the single most abusive member on this site, and you do nothing but ignore people's points and insult them personally.

Ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, janesy20 said:

The way I see it is the DCL is looking to get close to the striker, thinks he is getting the ball to feet and attempts to get in front of him to intercept or at least get a foot on the ball & knock it away.  The midfielder plays the alternative ball into the channel which the striker reads, turns the man and gets the shot away.

You could look at the DCL's attributes, role/duty/instructions and OIs to try to identify if they played a role in the choices the DCL made but for me its just one of those things that you see on a football field.  If defenders were perfect IRL goals would never be scored, Arsene Wenger has alluded to that on many occasions.

If you think its off upload to the bugs forum for SI to review but for me that isn't a bug.

1 hour ago, Äktsjon Männ said:

Why are my custom squad views disappearing every time I close the game? Have to re-import them for every new session.

I've been told it is a known issue and under investigation. Terribly frustrating, though.

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

You see that sort of poor defending at every level of football. Bad decision making by the defender. Is his role a 'stopper'? 

No, you don't. No he isn't a stopper either. If the striker pulled off his shoulder and beat him for pace I'd accept it. But the defender has actively run forwards to mark the wrong side. As I said this isn't the most clear example of it I have, I'm sure I'll find other examples soon enough.

1 minute ago, Cougar2010 said:

The way I see it is the DCL is looking to get close to the striker, thinks he is getting the ball to feet and attempts to get in front of him to intercept or at least get a foot on the ball & knock it away.  The midfielder plays the alternative ball into the channel which the striker reads, turns the man and gets the shot away.

You could look at the DCL's attributes, role/duty/instructions and OIs to try to identify if they played a role in the choices the DCL made but for me its just one of those things that you see on a football field.  If defenders were perfect IRL goals would never be scored, Arsene Wenger has alluded to that on many occasions.

If you think its off upload to the bugs forum for SI to review but for me that isn't a bug.

It's not the clearest example of what I'm trying to prove as I haven't saved the other highlights. I accept your version of events perhaps in this situation, but when I find a more clearer example I will post it.

1 minute ago, janesy20 said:

No, you don't. No he isn't a stopper either. If the striker pulled off his shoulder and beat him for pace I'd accept it. But the defender has actively run forwards to mark the wrong side. As I said this isn't the most clear example of it I have, I'm sure I'll find other examples soon enough.

As Cougar says, looks more like he's run to the wrong side to intercept the pass and been caught out. 

But if you think it's a bug, you know what you need to do...

Well, that's weird. In my game, at the end of the first season, I got a Brexit message informing me I had a soft Brexiit in my game. Seemed a bit early but never mind. Fast forward to the end of the 2nd season, and I've got another message telling me that the UK has once again left the European Union, but work permits haven't been affected. Once you get this message, does it repeat at every close season thereafter?

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Well, that's weird. In my game, at the end of the first season, I got a Brexit message informing me I had a soft Brexiit in my game. Seemed a bit early but never mind. Fast forward to the end of the 2nd season, and I've got another message telling me that the UK has once again left the European Union, but work permits haven't been affected. Once you get this message, does it repeat at every close season thereafter?

The first is to let you know it's happening. The second is when it actually happens. 

Archived