Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would you want to get rid of the manager if it was at the expense of having Champions League next year?

What is the point of champions league if LVG was manager? Just bomb out of the easiest group like the minnows so completely pointless.

On Thursday Ed Woodward and Nicky Butt gave a presentation to the staff and parents of the academy. The youth team stadium that was rumoured last year is going ahead, no word on the location yet though. We're also appointing an Operations Director to work alongside Butt at the academy. We're going potentially to start appointing full-time scouts as part of a scouting overhaul, concentrating on the local areas whilst bringing in the odd star from abroad - Januzaj, Pogba, Fosu-Mensah level of ability/potential etc.

Interesting. When you say local how far out? Is there a sense that there is an abundance of talent in greater manchester that we are missing out on? Or, in the country and Scotland? Why weren't we doing this already?

And how do you feel about Butt? Always liked him. Has managerial experience, too.

Interesting. When you say local how far out? Is there a sense that there is an abundance of talent in greater manchester that we are missing out on? Or, in the country and Scotland? Why weren't we doing this already?

And how do you feel about Butt? Always liked him. Has managerial experience, too.

Manchester area. Everton, Liverpool and City have more scouts in Stretford than we do apparently. Obviously the whole of the UK is on our radar but there's a feeling that the local areas are being neglected. For all we know there could be another Danny Welbeck, Wes Brown, Marcus Rashford etc that we're missing out on because our local scouting has got worse - other clubs are scouting the area and we've not really paid as much attention as we should.

I'm very impressed with Butt, appears to be organised, hard working and dedicated to what he does. He's done very well with a disjointed U19s team over the last few years and I think he's a great choice for the role

Which top teams are these?

Shaktar, Sevilla, Leverkusen, Bilbao, Lazio, Dortmund and Spurs would all give us a hiding over two legs at the moment. Liverpool are probably one of the more feasible ties we could get through, especially given LvG's record against them but the odds on us actually winning it are still incredibly slim.

Just look at the odds for us to make the Champions league, you're looking a 9/2 to qualify by finishing top 4 and 11/1 to win the EL.

Tim Fosu-Mensah is in the squad for tomorrow, can't wait to see him get some minutes. One of the biggest talents we've had in years

Keep reading he is one to watch. Maybe our best youth player. So he is a CB or DM? Is he even close to the first team yet? How long before he would be ready? :)

Also, what kind of a player is he? Does he remind you of anyone?

YouTube video is impressive.

have been hoping he would get a go for months

excellent news

he is a DM or CD however he has played RB/LB/ M for reserves and has been as good in any of those postions:D

that is my only worry he will get branded a versatile/utility player so end up on bench covering several positions

Keep reading he is one to watch. Maybe our best youth player. So he is a CB or DM? Is he even close to the first team yet? How long before he would be ready? :)

Also, what kind of a player is he? Does he remind you of anyone?

YouTube video is impressive.

I'd say he's getting close, still got some issues to iron out in his game - positioning, decision making, when he gets into the final third etc but that'll come with experience. He was a CB but looks more at home in CM and I think that's where he'll stay as a box-to-box midfielder. He reminds me a bit of Pogba in the way he could physically dominate the midfield at U18s and U21s, but unlike Pogba has done it regularly at both levels rather than drifting in and out of games. Pogba would do nothing for 60 minutes, bang a 30 yarder in and then go back to doing nothing, TFM works for the team a lot more. He'd have to go some way to reach the level that Pogba has though, and they're very different players.

@robbo - Only really been playing there due to a lack of numbers, he won't end up at full-back or a utility type. I wouldn't say he's been as good there though, still a bit iffy going forward out wide for my liking, if he's in the middle of the pitch he can play one-twos around the box and allow Harrop/Rothwell/Keane to take over whereas out wide there's more emphasis on beating the full back and getting a cross in which he's not as good at.

I'd say he's getting close, still got some issues to iron out in his game - positioning, decision making, when he gets into the final third etc but that'll come with experience. He was a CB but looks more at home in CM and I think that's where he'll stay as a box-to-box midfielder. He reminds me a bit of Pogba in the way he could physically dominate the midfield at U18s and U21s, but unlike Pogba has done it regularly at both levels rather than drifting in and out of games. Pogba would do nothing for 60 minutes, bang a 30 yarder in and then go back to doing nothing, TFM works for the team a lot more. He'd have to go some way to reach the level that Pogba has though, and they're very different players.

@robbo - Only really been playing there due to a lack of numbers, he won't end up at full-back or a utility type. I wouldn't say he's been as good there though, still a bit iffy going forward out wide for my liking, if he's in the middle of the pitch he can play one-twos around the box and allow Harrop/Rothwell/Keane to take over whereas out wide there's more emphasis on beating the full back and getting a cross in which he's not as good at.

From what I could see in a short clip, I like his anticipation, vision and presence. He seems aggressive, too.

Ronaldo creating a bit of drama at Real Madrid by complaining about the quality of his team mates. Think he could be on the way out at Real? If he does would he bother considering a return to Man Utd or go to a club like PSG instead?

if he complains about the quality of players at Madrid... whats he going to say about our load of ***** :lol:

agreed he is wasted out wide, he has the look of a young pogba with the right guidance/development could (fingers crossed) become a beast for us, a bit of a midfield rock, isn't going to be a flair player but a hard working destroyer like Kante at Leicester?

Ronaldo creating a bit of drama at Real Madrid by complaining about the quality of his team mates. Think he could be on the way out at Real? If he does would he bother considering a return to Man Utd or go to a club like PSG instead?

Yea if he is frustrated at Madrid he would implode here. I think its time to live with the memories and not bring back Ronaldo for hope.

Plus we could, (he says with a straight face) spend that money better :lol:

CcTb6f_WEAETukg.jpg

Really not a defence you want to be putting out against Arsenal, ever. Rashford starts, which I was sort of expecting if Martial wasn't available. If Memphis can do what he did against Midtjylland then we have a chance, but I expect him to fade back in to poorness, as he has only shone against Bruges and Midtjylland which isn't much of a cv tbf. de Gea back which is awesome.

The way to defend against Arsenal is not to be sucked in to their quick 1-2s around the box, just follow the man and not the ball, yet every one of our defenders today has a tendency to dive in.

Hope we can get something from this game, but we're relying on Memphis having another stormer really.

This Rashford kid has only started two Under 21 games so has now started as many first team games as Under 21.

He has a very nice habit of being in the right place at the right time. Talk about the stuff of dreams.

I just hope the media and fans allow him to develop at the pace that suits him and don't pile the pressure on - though I won't hold my breath.

Always nice beating Arsenal, but even better with a reserve team.

It's games like this I really wish LVG could make it work. I really like him and think he's done some good things, but it's seems for every good result theres a mediocre one around the corner.

Not that we will but where would we finish if we won our remaining 11 games do you think?

What a performance from us. To be missing so many players and win 3-2 with a good performance, brilliant. Enjoyed LvG leaving his seat for the first time ever even if it was to have a little lie down. :D

Arsenal just didnt look like they wanted it. Some really good performances for us. Who thought Rashford would have 2 goals and an assist. Depay great in the second half holding onto the ball. I cant remember being this happy after a game for ages.

This will be really good for the team spirit. Martial might pickup a bit given that he has some competition for the striker position and Memphis seems like he's getting in his stride. The thing is, if we get a load of players back from injury who gets dropped? Would you keep playing the youth?

Archived