Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

rooney was poor tonight and I have him in my fantasy team and I'm debating weather to take him out, knowing my luck i do that and he will score and get a good points total for that week

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not going to say he wasn't awful. Just reminded that he is a player that has always needed to play. The older he gets it probably takes a little longer for the engine to fully fire up. If he is like this still by the end of our 6 match August then we are in trouble with him up top. I, for one, do not think that will be the case.

Oh he'll get goals he always does, I just felt this is the worst I've seen him perform in a long time, he'll probably score in the next game now so I wouldn't worry, he has a habit of coming good after a bad game and receiving criticism.

Big win that so early in the season, what with City vs Chelsea and Arsenal having a tough game away to Palace on Sunday. Needed to get the three points tonight and we have! :thup:

Darmian and Smalling were brilliant again and the two standout players once again, followed on from the Spurs game. Blind solid too. Smalling really is a completely different player from 12 months ago. Come on leaps and bounds since the sending off vs City last November. Turning point in his career it seems. Strong, good on the ball and showing some good leadership skills now on the pitch. Hopefully he can keep up this progress.

Januzaj!! Delighted to see him start the game and get what turned out to be the winning goal. Very talented young player as we know but just needs to be playing every week, not sure he is going to get enough games for us this season if we add Pedro and maybe even another striker to the squad before the end of the window. Still he took his chance expertly. Fantastic run from him and picked out superbly by Mata. One of two excellent through balls in this game from the Spaniard. Depay really should have out that chance away and made it two nil for us. Thought Memphis made some good runs in this game, he didn't have the best of games but showed glimpse, needs time to settle and adjust.

Bastian really settled us down when he came on for Carrick, good substitution at a pivotal time in the game.

Rooney was absolutely abysmal. One of if not his worst game for us in his time at the club, literally did nothing positive all game. Looks unfit and as he nears 30 years old looks to be on the downward spiral now. Don't trust him to score the 20+ goals we need to challenge for the title. Early days in the season of course and Rooney doesn't usually get going until October/November but I really think we need a new striker more than a CB. Had it the other way around a few weeks ago but after seeing Rooney these past two games...

Results more important than the performances in the early stages of the season but delighted with the start we've made after two games.

A team like ours going through transition, 93pts is far too much to ask for an unrealistic target. Even our best ever team struggle getting that. Our best ever season under fergie was 91 I think. 80pts would be a realistic and ambitious target for this season

A team like ours going through transition, 93pts is far too much to ask for an unrealistic target. Even our best ever team struggle getting that. Our best ever season under fergie was 91 I think. 80pts would be a realistic and ambitious target for this season

93 points is by a comfortable distance the least we should be expecting with our squad and compared to the rest of the league. Other teams are in utter disarray, City have resorted to trying in vain to steal our transfer targets and Chelsea are such a mess they even banned their physio from attending games! Also Wenger seems more obsessed with Chelsea's physio debacle than actually managing his team. Anything under 93 points would be an absolute scandal, all things considered.

#GGMU

Rooney will score goals but I think LVG has to get another quality striker. Rooney does not have pace and when he is bad, he really is bad. He needs another top striker who can put his place under pressure. Think it is pivotal you get Pedro. Need more pace in the attacking third.

Rooney will only good once our attacking play picks up. With the lack of chances he's not going to be more than a passenger most of the game with the current set-up. He's been meh so far but he's barely getting the ball in the final third.

Yeah that's what I thought, but I make it 96 points. Isn't Sid a maths teacher?

No. No he isn't. There is no way anyone would let him teach our youth otherwise the country is ****ed completely.

If anyone thought that Sid isn't a troll must surely have been swayed now. No way he seriously thought the comments about winning every single game 1-0 were genuine, but if he was going for some sort of humour in replying at the 1-0 comment it just is impossible to tell. As I've said before, he is either a troll, incredibly thick, or a strong mixture of the two, and I'm sticking with the latter, which is effectively someone thick trying to troll and being entirely bad at it because they're too thick to pull it off.

Wish Ice would just ban him from the thread. I've got the thick little ******* on ignore yet all you silly ****ers continue to quote him :(:D

Rooney will only good once our attacking play picks up. With the lack of chances he's not going to be more than a passenger most of the game with the current set-up. He's been meh so far but he's barely getting the ball in the final third.

I agree that it is early days and that over the first 4/5/6 games we will steadily improve and find our rhythm, hopefully, but so will every other team. Rooney received the ball several times in the final third and sometimes other areas off the pitch, and quite frankly it was like Rooney had sprayed his boots with ball repellent. His touch was woeful, like you've encouraged a mate who has never played football in his life to join in your game just for the sake of taking part. It was painful to watch and it was like that in the most part last season, so I've no real reason to believe that it is early season blues and will get better, unfortunately.

I agree with this. I still rate Rooney but he needs quite a lot of support to score goals now. I think the game showed again that when we have someone decent in the centre of midfield we get more chances down the middle as well as the flanks. Edit: meant something decent formation wise in the middle not someone. We've got a great set of players who can play there.

im not sure he's disciplined or selfish enough to play as a striker on his own, especially with our current style of play. We seem to have quite slow build ups and aren't constantly attacking so rooney gets bored and always wants to drop back and chase things and try and make things happen. Which would be fine if he was the no.10 and the had a no.9 to feed. as it is, he drops back, gets the ball and then has no one to play the ball to.

it really is beyond a joke. he's not good enough to play for united anymore, yet his position is somehow guaranteed. he can't even basically control the ****ing ball anymore. we can't win the league with this guy "playing" up front, and there's a handful of people already better than him in the 10 position. i wonder how much longer van gaal will let this go on.

He had 1 touch in the box yesterday. That's not a striker. No wonder we're not creating anything. No ones there.

It was the same problem last season. Stylistically it's perfectly normal to dislike the football, but the lack of goals and chances is squarely on the shower of **** we've had up front.

van gaal just doesn't seem to fancy him, never mind at €40m and the other reasons mentioned. we do need another cb but it's not a major issue given mike smalling's form and rojo to come back. defence isn't a problem. hopefully we're too busy working on buying thomas muller.

Archived