Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People thinking de gea will be very happy with throwing away a year of his career and the euros?

So he'll just go "Aye, awrite then. You're blackmailing me essentially, but that's cool. Where's my Fergie pen..." then?

No, he'd probably just laugh at them. Because the idea is hilarious.

People thinking de gea will be very happy with throwing away a year of his career and the euros?

That is the nuclear option and very, very rarely happens. Players have the power and clubs don't generally retain a player that really, really wants to leave. This is where negotiation comes in. It's easy to play hardball in early July but the windows inches closer to closing then things change on both sides

The threat of 'being in the reserves and missing the Euros'. Whoop dee doo!

... 6 months is a long time for someone to be in the reserves and shunned ... that's a hell of a lot of disruption and media if that was DDG. It also makes zero business sense. People tend to not conduct business to 'teach people a lesson'. That happened DDG would be off in winter (back in national side!) to save everyone a lot of face in that embarassing scenario and if he wasn't I don't think it would make for a smooth season at the club either, no one wants that.

Also, missing the Euros is a drop in the ocean in his entire career and financial and professional future for him and his family

It's never more than a threat for a variety of reasons. Putting aside the above the is also friends and colleagues at the club that may be affected by not agreeing with being treated in that way. You might think money doesn't matter to United but they fly off to Saudi for a million quid friendly mid-season before and someone dangles a million quid again they'll be off again ... that's a million, not 20m and DDG's wages off the spreadsheet. Money matters. Always.

There are ways of doing business, even in football and having someone go train in the reserves and be ignored works for neither side. It's not like Balotelli who's ****, this is negotiating over a fee, he's done nothing wrong

If United really don't sell then they have to bring him back in and ensure he's happy. They should be sure of that now. He was a bit flakey a few weeks back and not getting your price and DDG not being himself is a worst case scenario in which you really haven't won at all

Ditto Sterling and all the "make him train in the reserves and miss the Euros" ... never happens. No one wins and the clubs lose out the most

Thing is city offered a respectable fee for sterling. Madrid don't want to do that for de gea, they want him for free. United have to stand their ground. If de gea wants to leave he should force a move through and waive his loyalty bonus. That would make things far easier for everyone.

Thing is city offered a respectable fee for sterling. Madrid don't want to do that for de gea, they want him for free. United have to stand their ground. If de gea wants to leave he should force a move through and waive his loyalty bonus. That would make things far easier for everyone.

So we're not forcing him to sign contracts anymore? Quite the comedown.

They don't want him for free, they want him for about 20m or whatever it is

I agree about these stupid loyalty bonus things. Should either pay them regardless of transfer requests or abolish transfer requests as we know them as no one in football actually wants to leave these days

Sterling would have been miserable at Liverpool. He didn't hand a request in but made it very clear he didn't want to play. Keeping him wasn't an option. I expect lots of reports from Spain about how much DDG wants to leave. No point in DDG commenting in case a deal isn't made

The club just need to be sure from knowing his character that if playing hardball that DDG will put it behind him and be professional. Ronaldo was fantastic like that. Few weeks back DDG seemed iffy and LvG wasn't happy

No one is forcing anyone to sign a new deal though. It's either find a price everyone is (un)happy with or keep a player that may not recreate his previous form depending on his character (still a young lad)

Personally, I'd say try to make a deal. I am sure you can squeeze Madrid for more as this window gets closer, this is what things are done these days

So we're not forcing him to sign contracts anymore? Quite the comedown.

De gea is making things hard for the club. Like I said, it would be much better if he did a di Maria. Much easier for the club.

However if he were to stay, he needs to be blackmailed. Otherwise what do we gain? At least do a last ditch attempt.

De gea is making things hard for the club. Like I said, it would be much better if he did a di Maria. Much easier for the club.

However if he were to stay, he needs to be blackmailed. Otherwise what do we gain? At least do a last ditch attempt.

How would you go about this blackmail then?

Something like...

van Gaal should hold a gun to de Gea's head whilst Ed Woodward assures him that either his brains or his signature will be on the contract.

Because let's face it, you may as well. #soldiersnotfootballers #nursesdeservethemoney #hangingstoogood

He's doing a Di Maria... happy now?

No services leads to a shocking touch which gifts the ball to the opposition on every occasion?

Come on. Just most occasions...

But seriously, he is being marked very tightly and being asked to hold up the ball which he doesn't do that well. Not too surprising that his touch looks off. If we can get some penetration and quality service from other players watch how quickly his "touch" puts the ball straight in the back of the net.

Well, I sincerely hope he is not past it b/c he is going to be our main striker. I don't see us getting anyone that is a "main" striker like Kane or Cavani. Pedro isn't that type of player.

Usually takes a bit to rev the engine. Let's see how he plays against Newcastle at home. He likes Magpies.

Personally i'd take the £20 mill Real offer for DDG as its better to use that money and get a better striker than the useless one we have and ideally get a defender too.

No one lol @ the telegraph article linked saying that Evans is rated as £12 mill with links to west brom and arsenal

A few papers/journalists are saying Woodward's in Barcelona to complete the Pedro deal for £22 million. I would be delighted with that, they also say he's going to be watching Laporte in tonight's game (another big :thup: :thup: from me).

I see a deadline day fake lawyer fiasco for Laporte happening.

And it begins.

Ian Ladyman reporting that Woody has gone to Barcelona to finalise Pedro deal and "will also take the opportunity to watch Bilbao’s French central defender Aymeric Laporte"

Who knew Ed was moonlighting as a scout?

Personally i'd take the £20 mill Real offer for DDG as its better to use that money and get a better striker than the useless one we have and ideally get a defender too.

£20m isn't going to enable us to buy anyone we can't already.

And as for Rooney and the service issue. You don't get those penetrating balls regularly for any team, to increase their regularity you need to actually get involved in the buildup and help the team. Not even David Silva is going to put Rooney through with 50 penetrating passes a season and that's assuming Rooney puts away better than 1-in-3 which he wont. He had 3 in the last game, two he couldn't stay onside because he's so slow and the other he managed to put out for a throw in. In 2009-10 he used to get involved deep, hold up the ball for midfielders to get a run on defenders, play them in and then get in the box for passes from more dangerous positions. He doesn't do that anymore and unless he starts he's just not going to cut it.

Watch how toothless Pedro is going to look this season when he plays with Rooney as a lone striker if we sign him, and it's not going to be because he only looked good because he played for Barca. It's going to be because we have a striker who can't make runs in behind, can't hold up the ball and bring others into play and is reliant on us creating chances that require at most 2 touches (the first one a freebie so hope defenders aren't near him) for him to score. Well I'm sure for 5 games a season he'll play like he used to 3-4 years ago and we'll look like a free-scoring free-flowing Barca-lite but realistically we need something more consistent than that.

And Laporte would be amazing next to an experienced and dominant centerback, if we're in for in that is a lot of faith put in Smalling. Saying that he will be 26 in November so it's now or never.

I'm thinking unless we get say 20m for de gea then we keep him. But don't play him in champions league so it always gives us an option to sell to Madrid in January if they are desperate for him for the latter stages of the champions league. If by that point Romero has proved himself capable then I'd have no qualms in selling him for a relatively knock down fee.

If Romero hasn't proved himself then we keep de gea for the rest of the season and deal with a replacement next summer.

I've no doubt the the build up/service is the reason behind his well reported one touch inside the box but there is no excuse for his touch and general play.

Of course. His lacklustre play outside the box can't be excused but we'll see Rooney play better once we give him chances, he scores then he gets going.

DDG was our best player the last two seasons, and also very good in the last title win. He is among the best keepers in the world, arguably best behind Neuer. None of the other top contenders are possible to get, which makes him irreplaceable for all intents and purposes. But instead of keeping the 2nd best keeper in the world for one more season, we should sell him to Madrid for a pittance? Sorry, but I don't agree with that at all. United don't seem to have a lack of money, so 20m to or from won't matter much. 10-15 points extra in the league and perhaps crucial saves in the CL matches though? Aye, that might matter a good deal.

Has there been any indication DDG would have signed a deal a year or year and half back?

He probably was well aware what he was doing in having his contract run down like this. With even 2 1/2 years on a deal a club would still be hopeful he'd sign so most likely won't panic and offload

Has there been any indication DDG would have signed a deal a year or year and half back?

He probably was well aware what he was doing in having his contract run down like this. With even 2 1/2 years on a deal a club would still be hopeful he'd sign so most likely won't panic and offload

A few journalists have written that DDG wanted to sign a new deal the summer after Moyes left but LVG wanted to wait and judge him himself - and also tried to bring in Keylor Navas.

A few journalists have written that DDG wanted to sign a new deal the summer after Moyes left but LVG wanted to wait and judge him himself - and also tried to bring in Keylor Navas.

He wanted to judge DDG for himself? :lol:. I like LvG but that's simply madness if true.

Whilst it was English journos reporting it, Balague has just repeated it today:

"Interestingly enough, in March 2014 when Manchester United presented a renewal offer to De Gea that he would have accepted, Van Gaal stopped it because he wasn't convinced by him as a goalkeeper.

Funnily enough, he wanted Keylor Navas or somebody like that. He is at Real Madrid now and may be surplus, so who knows

LvG wasn't at United in March 2014?

EDIT: Also, why would he stop the contract extension when he wasn't that convinced himself but knew pretty much everyone else in the world rated him as one of the best? You would still get him to sign the contract so you could get the best price for him, surely?

I've heard similar, and as mad as it sounds, there may be something to it. If you recall from the award ceremony, when DDG received the award for best player, LVG said something along the lines of "at first I was a little unsure, but you have since proven my doubts wrong". Something like that.

Madness. If this does turn out to be true, especially the 'stopped a contract' stuff, I suppose it will be Pogba II territory.

I've heard similar, and as mad as it sounds, there may be something to it. If you recall from the award ceremony, when DDG received the award for best player, LVG said something along the lines of "at first I was a little unsure, but you have since proven my doubts wrong". Something like that.

Madness. If this does turn out to be true, especially the 'stopped a contract' stuff, I suppose it will be Pogba II territory.

It's worse than Pogba because he was/is clearly one of the worlds best goalkeepers and everyone knew it, except LvG it seems.

I'd go for Friday nights team, possibly Schweinsteiger in for Carrick just to see what he can do.

Januzaj had a pretty poor game against Villa but I think if he can play well tonight and then get another game against Newcastle then we could see him kick on again in terms of development.

Herrera in for Januzaj for me but will never happen.

heard van gaal saying he prefers a "second striker" rather than a "third midfielder" in that role off of rooney so yeah, he won't be playing any time soon it seems. he only brings him on later for more midfield control. so realistically he's in competition with schneiderlin when carrick starts, which he always does.

Archived