World Cup Orphaned supporters thread - who are you adopting & why?

Nigeria cuz I was born there. England cuz I grew up there. America cuz I live here. And Japan because well....I speak Japanese. Gonna be a busy one for me :D

Nigeria cuz I was born there. England cuz I grew up there. America cuz I live here. And Japan because well....I speak Japanese. Gonna be a busy one for me :D

shame none will make it very far though

Belgium for me. Just excited to see what the 'golden generation' can produce.

Other than that I always follow Brazil as I grew up watching the Brazil of the 1990s who had a certain aura about them whenever they played with Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo etc. - especially at World Cups. Seem to have lost a bit of that in recent years but the buzz and support around them being at home will be huge.

All other games I will just be backing underdogs. That's the best thing about all sport to be honest - upsets.

I don't generally pick one specific side and I enjoy surprises so usually I go for the underdog... But I really don't care as long as there is some nice football being played (bound to be disappointed on this one).

Colombia have an interesting team and I hope they do well, especially that Falcao won't be playing... They could show that they're not a one-man team :)

Routing for Argentina, purely on the basis of the Zabaleta/Demichelis/Aguero axis of awesomeness.

Let me guess - your are a Manchester United fan...? Yeah? I'm right aren't I...? Thought so! :p

The match timings in my place are really screwed up and since I need to excuse to stay up on week nights to watch the matches, I am compelled to support more than one team.

As always, I'd be rooting for England with my mates. Besides them, I'm supporting Belgium.

I'm also tempted to watch Germany, Spain and Brazil's matches also I wouldn't be rooting for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Colombia is a good choice too if someone wants a likable team.

What foreigners shouldn't do is supporting Brazil, as that would make them glory hunters.

Colombia is a good choice too if someone wants a likable team.

What foreigners shouldn't do is supporting Brazil, as that would make them glory hunters.

I wouldn't pick a big team anyway. I'm English! It wouldn't feel right cheering on someone who might actually win. :D

Will obviously pick an underdog! :cool:

I wouldn't pick a big team anyway. I'm English! It wouldn't feel right cheering on someone who might actually win. :D

Will obviously pick an underdog! :cool:

That's the best way!

I always pick either underdogs or countries culturally connected to Brazil like other Latin American countries or Portugal.

What kind of backlash will I get in this thread if I say Uruguay?

None, as everyone sees through it. You are not controversial, you are being stupid. Why not go back to being the person(a) you were before?

• 2 weeks later...
Belgium or Colombia for me. TBH I have many countries I like so just want to see a good tournament. But might just edge for the two aforementioned.

Proud to say I was supporting Colombia from the beginning. How many people are jumping on the Colombia bandwagon after the WC performances? You begs :D

I'm taking Brazil. Mostly because it will irritate Paulo, but also because I have money on them to win. :D

The bold part is a good reason, to be fair. :thup:

My sides out :(

Backing Germany and if not them then Belgium. If Germany and Belgium both go out then I'll be backing nobody :D I can't stick any of the remaining teams bar Germany and Belgium. Costa Rica are okay too, but they'll have to do very well to progress.

Not Leid, Lied. The former means 'suffering' :D

'Deutschland über alles' has been removed from the national anthem since 1945, it's about time people stop perpetuating that image.

Not Leid, Lied. The former means 'suffering' :D

'Deutschland über alles' has been removed from the national anthem since 1945, it's about time people stop perpetuating that image.

MEIN FUHRER! I CAN WALK!

(all caps please, ta)

Archived