World Cup Orphaned supporters thread - who are you adopting & why?

Posting my choices as a separate post.

I'm going for two teams this time around, the one I always go for & another for South American support.

'Murica - Always support them at World Cups, love the passion of their fans & enjoy seeing how the game & support has evolved & developed over the years.

Chile - like the cut of their jib & they have Gary Medel. Easy decision.

• SI Staff
I'm not Dutch yet. So, I'm supporting every opponent. If the Netherlands score, the whole neighborhood screams. If the opponent scores, I can scream alone and as loud as possible.

You'll never be Dutch! :mad:;)

I'm in Germany but obfcoursiously I support the (not always so) mighty Oranje. If (well, when) they go out before Germany, I switch to supporting die Mannschaft. After that, it's usually anyone but... stuff. Usually against Brazil or Italy ^^ Then again, who wants to see yet another Spanish championship?

Can I join this thread after the group stage?

Yeah I think we'll be joining this thread pretty soon :( Honestly expect us to finish pointless.

Probably be following Spain in the knock-out stages because of my interest in Spanish football/Atletico.

Posting my choices as a separate post.

I'm going for two teams this time around, the one I always go for & another for South American support.

'Murica - Always support them at World Cups, love the passion of their fans & enjoy seeing how the game & support has evolved & developed over the years.

Chile - like the cut of their jib & they have Gary Medel. Easy decision.

Chile will certainly will be one of, if not the most attractive side to watch at this world cup. Jamaica are not even in it as usual so not decided who I am supporting just yet :D

I'll be having my cake and eating it; I'll gladly support England, then laugh at them when they get knocked out.

Other than that, I'll generally favour teams according to the following criteria:

• If they contain Celtic or Liverpool players
  • If they play an attractive brand of football
  • If they're the underdog in any particular match

So I'll be keeping an eye out for Uruguay, Honduras, Nigeria and Greed in particular, and then supporting any plucky underdog who avoids playing hoofball to try to squeeze out a boring result.

I'll be keeping an eye out for Uruguay, Honduras, Nigeria and Greed in particular, and then supporting any plucky underdog who avoids playing hoofball to try to squeeze out a boring result.

Greece, for lack of a better word, is good. Greece works.

Actually, I think you'll find that Greece is the word.

It's funny that you used a quote from a film about financial mismanagement for a country which has succumbed to financial mismanagement itself. ;)

Chile (liked them at the last WC and it's pretty much the same lot from then; they play some good football; have an exciting team - namely Alexis & Vidal :cool:) and Bosnia (get my Balkan vote. Their first WC ever and it's their 'Golden Generation', have a talented side and a coach who was a legend as a player)

I'm half German, so when Wales aren't playing my support goes to Germany. Other than that, I've got the usual Welsh sport biases, pretty much.

There are a few HSV/ex HSV players I've got a soft spot for in the Croatia squad, so would like to see them do well.

Not a popular view amongst Irish people, but I would like to see England do well. I watch the Premiership more than any other league and I like a lot of the players as a result, and I never really got the whole anti-England/Britain thing in a sporting sense. Preferably them doing well with Hart getting injured and Forster in goal :D

I'll support the underdogs in general, and Latin American teams (not Brazil though).

I will love if Argentina win, especially if Messi does well, he still needs a World Cup to fully convince everyone that he is as good as or better than Pelé and Maradona were.

Not sure.

Spain - supported Spain since my friend bought me a David Villa Spain shirt just before Euro 2008.

Germany - used to live in and hopefully will live in Germany again soon.

Either way, it's a win-win, I think. I want Argentina, Belgium, and Ecuador to do well, though, for friends and stuff.

Not sure.

Spain - supported Spain since my friend bought me a David Villa Spain shirt just before Euro 2008.

Germany - used to live in and hopefully will live in Germany again soon.

Either way, it's a win-win, I think. I want Argentina, Belgium, and Ecuador to do well, though, for friends and stuff.

Worked out pretty well for them!

To be honest I don't actively go against one team in particular, barring probably Spain. I do of course favour some teams more than others, though.

Italy - always loved Italian football plus some of my favourite footballers are Italian. Always support them over anyone (bar Scotland ofc), so they basically become 'my' team.

France - second to Italy. I love France, basically, is all it comes down to. Plus growing up watching Zidane had a big hand in it, I think.

Germany - nowhere near as supported as the above two, but their style of play and the imagery surrounding the German national team is great. Love it.

Wouldn't mind seeing Belgium (Kompany, the mass amount of talented youngsters too I guess), Ivory Coast (Yaya, Drogba, Kolo etc), Bosnia (Dzeko), Mexico, Russia or Brazil (not sure why for these three sides though) succeeding either. All teams I have a soft spot for. but like I say, there's no one side I actively want to lose bar Spain.

Germany works...

So, if/when England go out, it's probably Germany due to the large amount of German's in the Arsenal team.

Archived