Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

Main issue is overall shot counts. Finishing falls into that and I'm not sure there's much wrong with conversion rate. The goalkeeper behavior and some shot animations are making it difficult to judge the situations on merit but most shots that are saved or miss in my game are ones that plausibly can/should be saved or missed. There should be way less good chances opening up from close range though.

Also, remember that goal counts are massively influenced by bugged set pieces.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are SI/others aware of a bug where you right click a player on the squad screen, then click on 'Add to development list' - almost every time, causes crash dump.

Its not happening for me. In your instance have you raised a bug, the bugs forum is the place to head to

sorry for that stupid question but is here any improvement thread for upcoming versions? cant find it...

just wanted to recommend to add a new goalkeeper attribute "tendency to rush out" because one is to judge about skill "rushing out" , but its also very important to judge the decision when to rush out....i remember a lot of occasions on Mr. Neuer, rushing out, when not needed, same for other goalkeepers...so i would give neuer a high rating at tendency to rush out ;-)

Its already in the game I believe.

Rushing out is like punching for GKs, its not how good he is at it but how often he does it.

It may well be that changes in the ME will have knock-on effects elsewhere in the game and that therefore they need to compensate for those with adjustments elsewhere.

I really think we need to leave Paul C and the other people at SI to get on with it as they see fit - they're more qualified and in a better position to make these judgements than we are :)

Just curious, has it ever been officially acknowledged by SI that the full/quick ME produce pretty radically different results? PaulC's post that ran down some problem areas they've worked on did not explicitly mention this issue.

The fact that there is a disparity will more than likely be down to the issues that are being addressed. It's not an issue in itself, if that makes any sense.

What version number are you showing? This was an issue but fixed.

Edit/ Could try deleting your cache as well http://www.footballmanager.com/faq/?game=38&id=217

The most recent update, 14.1.3 and I've cleared my cache numerous times.

Still getting the mouse cursor staying as a football too.

And, I should also mention that this is the first FM that takes forever to load the first time after I switch my PC on...like 2-3 mins to load through the 'loading' screen.

I have an i7 and an SSD with 2gb graphics card and like I say, never had any issues with FM like this ever before.

The most recent update, 14.1.3 and I've cleared my cache numerous times.

Still getting the mouse cursor staying as a football too.

And, I should also mention that this is the first FM that takes forever to load the first time after I switch my PC on...like 2-3 mins to load through the 'loading' screen.

I have an i7 and an SSD with 2gb graphics card and like I say, never had any issues with FM like this ever before.

Start a thread in the bugs forum and post your DXdiag so Neil can have a look for starters.

Its already in the game I believe.

Rushing out is like punching for GKs, its not how good he is at it but how often he does it.

Are you sure about that I was always under the impression the stat for Rushing Out was for how good they were at it instead of how often they do it.

Could someone explain the star ratings, specifically if they are adjusted based on which league you're coaching in?

For coaches or players? The player one is generally worth ignoring. There's so many players with a lot of stars and little talent or very specific talents (like Walcott or Draxler who've got a LOT of really low stats).

In terms of your coaches it's pretty annoying. You can have a coach with 20 for attacking and he'll be rated at 3 stars for attack coaching. You're best looking for the main stat plus adaptability, discipline and working with youngsters.

I can't wait any longer to put my hands on patch , well well well which day will release tomorrow or the day after or the day where the universe exist :cool:

I can't wait any longer for people to stop making silly posts like this so expect a forum holiday if you don't desist :) it's not as if you haven't been warned (many times in your case)

I really feel the need to rant about the transfer system because it's one thing that's been consistently messed up in the game and it used to be brilliant. Back in the day when all we had was a scoreline and scrolling text you could pick up players with great potential at rubbish clubs for under a million and on a decent wage (remember how awesome a signing kallstrom was?). Now it's practically impossible to do this. Clubs want way too much and the wage demands are so ridiculous that it's laughable.

Last year I watch Damiiao request transfers every year and Internacional would list him for £47 mill. He'd sit there for YEARS whining to the media on the transfer list and no one would touch him. I've used Internacional and they could do amazing things with £25mill. It's silly and no club would hold a wantaway player that long.

Then there's wage demands. Players at low level clubs on less than ten grand a month demanding around the £200,000 mark and walking away when you offer them £120,000 is ridiculous. Or players that do similar and end up signing for someone else for like £30,000 a month. What the hell? Then there's your players. I try to keep my wages below £5mill and at Arsenal i'll offer Wilshere a raise of £100,000 a month, he'll reject which forces me to sell and when i check on him he's not only on less than i offered but less than he was originally on!! Anyone else think a player would leave a club they love, a manager and players/staff they list as liking for a lower rep club for lower money? Give me a break!

Next is the clauses. Has there ever EVER been a player that's had a £100,000 a month raise for playing ten games? That's NONSENSE. The ONLY times that makes sense is if you have someone that's not playing and is gagging for a move. In that instance they'd say they'll play maybe 20-30 games on less than their current wage then move onto a higher or level one. Or if you sign someone as a rotation or backup and they have a clause that says if they play 25-30 games (essentially meaning they're a first team/key player) they'll get that raise.

Also, with the wage demands we had Andy Carroll last year on HUGE money and totally unwilling to take a cut after 2 years on the bench, hell, he wanted a raise most of the time!

This year there are some transfers that are a little better, but overall clubs still want WAY too much. I wonder if i'm the only one that's been tearing their hair out watching the transfer activity at Spurs and Newcastle. All of those players that've been highly rated in the game and i can pretty safely say if you doubled what's been spent in real life you'd still be short of what FM expected you to pay in the game for all of those players. I get that people might be upset when taking a dutch, french or lower league team and not getting premium for players but that's real life.

It's still possible to get a decent team together and there is the odd bargain but the contract rubbish really needs sorted because it's getting silly.

I am dying to buy it, as soon as I find out that the demo a)gets updated and b)has the dark skin, I will try it out then buy the game when it's ready. I don't suppose you can help me with those two bits of info.

Demo won't have the dark skin but will be updated (not sure when) but tbh I have absolute confidence that even you (naye especially you) will be delighted with the full version :)

I can't wait any longer for people to stop making silly posts like this so expect a forum holiday if you don't desist :) it's not as if you haven't been warned (many times in your case)

sorry kriss but really can't wait it's like drugs when you need sip :brock:

I really feel the need to rant about the transfer system because it's one thing that's been consistently messed up in the game and it used to be brilliant.

No it was never brilliant, atm it works well in certain circumstances and very badly in others.

I'd like them to really put some resources into this and AI squad building for FM15

bit early for christmas leftovers isn't it?

anyone got far enough to see if the ai still sells good regens really cheap yet?

Not really cheap but you can pick up a bargin or two here and there, especially from the likes of Scandinavia and Croatia. Im managing in Scotland so thats the level of player im looking at. There are some you come across that you have no chance in signing unless your willing to part with millions. Again at my level its not likely you will have that kinda money lying around too often.

bit early for christmas leftovers isn't it?

anyone got far enough to see if the ai still sells good regens really cheap yet?

In South America they do and it's even cheaper if you can buy them in Chile, Colombia or Peru, Argentina, Uruguay not so cheap and Brazil rarely a bargain to be had.

My memory has just worked; you won the EPL in Season One with Cardiff didn't you?

Have you been able to upload a save from that game? I remember PaulC wanted to take a look.

I have the feeling you use downloaded tactics, based on this:

If you can't provide details in the Tactics section of your setups, can you at least advise which downloaded tactics you have used?

Alternatively we can trawl through the download section and see where you've posted.

Winning the PL with Cardiff in Season One is somewhat an over achievement, so that tactic warrants a look.

And to then have a few results where you dominate possession, get some decent shots in but draw or lose also is worth a gander.

If there are downloadable tactics doing the rounds that create extreme cases of over achievement or apparent ineptitude in front of goal, then I'm sure the SI guys would want to take a look. Tactics like these may go some way to contributing to the volume of posts this thread has seen, if you know what I mean :brock:

I've been testing a few tactics out this afternoon and as usual the same things are occurring much too frequently....

sgmxkl.jpg

25u75fd.jpg

15d507k.jpg

This is with 3 different tactics tested over a number of games.

I understand the game cannot "cheat" as such, but when you keep coming across these games so often it sure feels that way, with the main reason being that "I" just don't win games like this.

Surely this will partly be down to lack of tactic familiarity if you are constantly chopping and changing tactics?
If it was down to tactic familiarity then surely it would affect all aspects of your play not just whether you can get the ball in the net, your defence would be poorer, your passing, marking, CCCs and half chances.

Just scored a penalty, where my penalty taker smashed the penalty against the bar, the rebound landed directly at his feet, for him to calmly slot it home. As the no other player touched the ball after he struck the original penalty (inc the keeper) this shouldn't have been allowed. Not sure if anyone has reported that before?

Just scored a penalty, where my penalty taker smashed the penalty against the bar, the rebound landed directly at his feet, for him to calmly slot it home. As the no other player touched the ball after he struck the original penalty (inc the keeper) this shouldn't have been allowed. Not sure if anyone has reported that before?

I saw that happen weeks ago, but forgot to report it.

Here's my feedback:

The core features are solid: player database, player generation and development, matches (some oddities, although I'm not seeing the same full back horribleness as others report), morale. I don't really miss the sliders.

But I do have some issues with the user interface.

I play on a 2560x1440 resolution with 125% zoom, and that's perfect, except that the names of the players on the 3D match representation (on the pitch) are still very small and hard to read. It would be nice if these names were zoomed too.

On several screens, information is organised in a way that makes it hard to read. For example, the Overview > Information screen of a player consists of what looks to me like randomly placed pieces of information. Headlines and the actual information (such as Full name John Smith) are only distiniguished by bold font, one below the other. It would be better with clearer distinctions between the items. You also need to click on Nationalities specifically, even if there's plenty of blank space (on my screen, at least). Birth place will often wrap awkwardly with just the closing parenthesis on a second line (and there isn't really room for a second line so the lines clash). If a player speaks many languages, this also happens here. There's too much focus on textual information, but tables organise information much better. This is very visible on the news item where you pick available players for reserve matches and U19/20/21 matches. You need to read some sentences to figure out who's available and not, but a table would be so much easier to read, and there could be a one-click button to make a player available/unavailable for the match. Now, if you want to only make a few players available and others not, you have to right click the player and navigate through a hierarchy of options to set him available or unavailable (the selection button will only mark a group of players as available/unavailable, not individual players). Removing availability for a player for reserve matches from the player profile should also be a one-click affair. Where it says "The player has been made available for Juventus U19", there could be a "Make unavailable" button right next to it. The coach report is also organised in a sub-optimal way in my opinion. For example, it says "Happiness" and then there's a huge jump over to the hapiness indicator. I didn't realize in the beginning that they belong together and thought the indicator was for "Main attribute improvement" (if there's no improvement, there's just a - there).

Tried a United file cos it's different from the LLM I was doing.

Defenders at the top level seem to go very damn deep. There's an apathy about closing down, more so than in the lower leagues weirdly. Crosses come from the byline (i.e. touchline of the goal) there's a bit of a dead-zone where crosses are rarely undertaken even where it's far more prudent to do so. Wingers prefer to go further forward and be closed down before punting in the cross.

The defence being so deep leads to a lot of the defensive line being in the goal area, far, far too close to goal. Penalty box I can understand, goal box? Too far. (This is both AI and me btw). Lots of congested boxes leads to a lot of goals occuring from rebounds rather than methods of play. I'm curious, this could be a side-effect of "Work ball into box".

Enjoying it so far, but there are bits and pieces that could be improved up there. Lower leagues and the Premiership is obviously a different animal, they play so differently.

I've been testing a few tactics out this afternoon and as usual the same things are occurring much too frequently....

sgmxkl.jpg

25u75fd.jpg

15d507k.jpg

This is with 3 different tactics tested over a number of games.

There is no match context whatsoever given (we KNOW that the CCC stat is fairly liberal, especially right now), so this is purely a numbers game. But above all, am I the only one who doesn't see what the deal here is with those numbers at all? I find it worrying that anybody could find these numbers and results off at all. It's not at all like those posts were somebody posts a shot in which it is documented that a team had 70% possession, 40+ shots (which is indeed very wild and can be encouraged in the current ME) and still didn't score more than once, this is nothing at all like that, as none of these matches came even close to being wildly statistically dominated (and then numbers can be misleading).

For all the balancing patches and bugs, there is no way SI are ever going to deal with the many misconceptions people have on football, football statistics, and then some may be rubbed wrongly by how SI's interpretation of the game looks and behaves like. Something that eventually manifests itself in the ME, in which there is obviously bias at work, given that there are very few hard rules that apply in football but that of space and simple maths: Ye who scores most, wins. In that respect, though the match action is balanced towards real-life football statistics and football professionals such as Ray Houghton are giving opinions and feedback, the ME is always going to behave in a way SI think real football behaves like.

Such is the bane of trying to create a simulation proper (that still appeals to an audience of millions), I guess. If I missed a point made in the lead up to those shots, I apologize. :)

My take on the game so far.

Beta made the game play very well and when it went live a few wee bugs appeared, at first I thought they were pretty major but looking more into the tactical side of the game I've found this not to really be the issue. I too was getting too many 30-40 shots per game, 15 on target but only scoring 1-2 goals per game, since I've adjusted my tactics, I'm averaging 10-15 shots per game, 7-9 on target and averaging 3-4- goals per game, a huge difference. My FB's are ave around 7 with the rest of the team at around 7.5, still getting the occasional bad game from a defender down to arong 6 but then again in real life players do have the odd bad game do they not. I'm playing as Hibernian, won the 1st 2 qualifying games in the Euro cup against FC Inter agg 7-1 and Hacken agg 6-1 and won 1st game of league campaign 4-1 against Motherwell. So tactics and team talk are even more vital with this years game, so I'd advise everyone struggling to take a good look at this, I was one for having a decent tactic that has done well in FM12+13 and assumed it would be ok for this one, how wrong I was.

Still a couple of this for SI guys to get sorted, the amount of shots hitting the woodwork, defenders and even midfielders just standing there watching the opponent waltz past, wingers just hitting it against opponent instead of crossing etc but these are all issues well known to the guys here, so no need to go over it all again.

All in all game play is good, a few nice extra from last year and this time ME making you think about the game rather than just plug and play.

Quick question - in press conferences does adding additional comments actually serve any purpose as they don't seem to get picked up.

They may not appear in the final report but I'm pretty sure whatever you say will be recorded and the players will hear about it.

If it was down to tactic familiarity then surely it would affect all aspects of your play not just whether you can get the ball in the net, your defence would be poorer, your passing, marking, CCCs and half chances.

No, that is not correct. Tactic familiarity is separated into different sections such as formation, tempo, passing, width, defensive line. If you change formation or your instructions, you do not change everything. It's not like you start all over again...

Archived