Football Manager 2014 Beta Update and Demo FEEDBACK THREAD

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First impressions, love it! Saving seems somewhat slower but the 2D match has some noticable improvements and enhancements! Looks more polished and modern.

The entire layout looks a lot better and much more modern too. I say it every year that this will be the version to last me a good 18-24 months so I skip a version but I always get dragged in and like the new FM!

I may not get it on release day :( but I sure am going to soon! Dont want to have to wait till christmas again lol

I am playing a game in Wales and have noticed two issues. The first is the wild swing in player morale. Before a game away against TNS, who were the top team in the league, my players morale was at good. We lost 2-1 and all of a sudden it was down to poor. I have noticed some other examples where we lose one game and our morale drops significantly, even if its in games we are expected to lose or were close.

The second issue, which is more frustrating to me, has to do with contract renewals. I had a regen that started on my team and is approaching the end of his current contract. I've tried to offer him a new contract, but he won't re-sign, and only tells me that he isn't interested in re-signing with me, not a specific reason why. Another one says he won't re-sign because he doesn't feel that my club matches his ambitions. The only problem is i'm currently in first place in the Welsh Premier League and no team is showing any interest in him. It would be one thing if a team in England or Scotland wanted to sign him, but I am most likely going to be in the Champions League next year, but won't have him on my team.

Personally in enjoying the defending on this version. Only oissues I'm still suffering from a high amount of goals in air matches. Such as 8-7. As someone who loves defence this is horrible.

Also STILL when playing with wingbacks and 3 centre backs, two centre backs go and hump the touchline when they should be a compact free. Suicidal.

For people complaining about crashes may I reccomend that you state if its witg a save from a previous beta version or whether its a fresh game.

Oh, also had no press conferences for matches on my fresh save. Only transfer and new manager conference.

I'm afraid I have to agree with the critiques of the changes to defending. In the space of 10 games I've seen wingers with low or medium dribbling, balance and technique stats terrorising defenders, who proceed either to lunge wildly at the winger thus being left behind, stop tracking the winger altogether thus opening up acres of space on the wings or, worst of all, following the winger round in circles in the penalty area allowing said winger a clear shot on goal.

I am playing a game in Wales and have noticed two issues. The first is the wild swing in player morale. Before a game away against TNS, who were the top team in the league, my players morale was at good. We lost 2-1 and all of a sudden it was down to poor. I have noticed some other examples where we lose one game and our morale drops significantly, even if its in games we are expected to lose or were close.

That would depend on the expectations you set. Morale is supposed to drop when you lose. By how much is up to you as manager.

I might have found a possible cause for some of the low ratings for fullbacks. Would be nice if anyone who is getting low ratings can check, because I'm getting decent ratings for my fullbacks.

I noticed a low rating on one of the AI team's fullbacks. He had a decent pass completion % and 100% tackles, 50% Cross Completion and 6 interception BUT he won only 4 out of 10 headers. Could losing aerial battles be the reason?

Enjoying the game. I feel the ME has improved with the updates. Shooting seems to have more purpose, ie. less clear cut & random stupid decision shots hitting corner flag or going out of ground.

However still feel the woodwork needs to be toned down. I hit it 5 times in my last game (averaging 3x a game). I feel if a 1/3 of these were wide, saved and scored respectively we would be in for a good season of fm 14.

Keep up the good work, because we can see the differences

Sorry I take some of that back. Just played a game where i had 25 shots 17 on target, scored 1 (ie goalie made 16 saves, but got an av.rating 6.3). Literally clear shots are being weakly struck directly at GK from every possible angle. AI of course has 5 shots 2 on target and scores both. By the way i hit the post 4 times.

This seems to be a frequent occurrence in FM, not just 14 but also 13. Clearly there must be something being carried over in both games causing this imbalance of shots

Enjoying the game. I feel the ME has improved with the updates. Shooting seems to have more purpose, ie. less clear cut & random stupid decision shots hitting corner flag or going out of ground.

However still feel the woodwork needs to be toned down. I hit it 5 times in my last game (averaging 3x a game). I feel if a 1/3 of these were wide, saved and scored respectively we would be in for a good season of fm 14.

Keep up the good work, because we can see the differences

Sorry I take some of that back. Just played a game where i had 25 shots 17 on target, scored 1 (ie goalie made 16 saves, but got an av.rating 6.3). Literally clear shots are being weakly struck directly at GK from every possible angle. AI of course has 5 shots 2 on target and scores both. By the way i hit the post 4 times.

This seems to be a frequent occurrence in FM, not just 14 but also 13. Clearly there must be something being carried over in both games causing this imbalance of shots

I'm noticing brown colouration of kits in the latest update. Is this a new feature that is meant to make it appear as if the players are muddy or am I experiencing some sort of graphical bug?

It's not all the players. My strikers don't seem to be affected.

I will add that in all matches where I have seen this it has been wet, so that's led me to believe it's a new feature. I just never saw it before the latest update.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned something like this before but from what i read it doesn't seem like it..

I started unemployed and attended an interview at MK Dons,i said i wanted them to consider upgrading the youth facilities and they refused saying it is at the level they want etc....all fine so far...

I then get a media response saying MK Dons have laughed off any response from me and they will not be considering me for the job....again all fine as i was expecting too much from them..

The next day MK Dons approach me with the job..

I understand they could have a change of mind but to laugh at me first and write me out of the running before they approach me?

Since the update is anyone else having teams bid ridiculously low amount for players, Papiss cisse £1.5m bids and valued £8.5m, Davide Santon £1.1m bids £5m value. These are not transfer listed or set to not needed. And this is on a newly started game within the last hour

Since the update is anyone else having teams bid ridiculously low amount for players, Papiss cisse £1.5m bids and valued £8.5m, Davide Santon £1.1m bids £5m value. These are not transfer listed or set to not needed. And this is on a newly started game within the last hour

I had something similar on a game i started with Liverpool..

Man City and PSG offered 8m for Lucas,after i left Liverpool Lucas went to Man City for 24m

Not sure if this has been reported, but i just bid 3.5 million as asked for Gabriel Barbosa but they came back and said they had rejected my 550k bid? I keep bidding on him but still comes back saying i've bid less for him than i actually did.

I have had similar with Anderson from man utd, Bid £6m and they rejected my offer of £500.000. This plus the low transfer offers suggests something is wrong. I had a bid for mame diouf accepted at £300,000 and he was listed at £1.8m

Yeah just had City try and buy Lucas for 10m and when I said 30m they came back with 8m! A day later they try for Agger and offer 3m and when I rejected Agger as put in a transfer request!

• SI Staff
Not sure if anyone has mentioned something like this before but from what i read it doesn't seem like it..

I started unemployed and attended an interview at MK Dons,i said i wanted them to consider upgrading the youth facilities and they refused saying it is at the level they want etc....all fine so far...

I then get a media response saying MK Dons have laughed off any response from me and they will not be considering me for the job....again all fine as i was expecting too much from them..

The next day MK Dons approach me with the job..

I understand they could have a change of mind but to laugh at me first and write me out of the running before they approach me?

Thanks for the info.

This is an issue we are aware of and it is currently under review.

Cheers,

Ben

• SI Staff
Not sure if this has been reported, but i just bid 3.5 million as asked for Gabriel Barbosa but they came back and said they had rejected my 550k bid? I keep bidding on him but still comes back saying i've bid less for him than i actually did.

Reported here with details on how to solve the problem - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368385-Transfer-offer-changed-value

Cheers,

Ben

Hi all.

Can't help but think the news item below should have a player picture above the 'Contract Details' panel. If memory serves me well, there was a player picture above those information panels prior to me starting a new save with the new beta. I don't know if anyone's encountered this problem since the new beta update. Here's the issue in question - and it happens with all player-related news items, the no player picture thing:-

0o9l.png

For your information, the player faces have been installed correctly and are working fine, bar on the news items. Thanks in advance.

How about the ridiculously low bids for players who are not even listed? is this an issue or something that can be fixed?

You fix it by making sure the "asking price" is set high, of course clubs will bid if it's not set, or worse set to £0

You fix it by making sure the "asking price" is set high, of course clubs will bid if it's not set, or worse set to £0

Tbh it does seem a bit strange now.

I had a player who is valued at 120k that I decided to transfer list, I was asking for 60k and I got a bid in for 3k, now while teams may try to offer lower than the 60k I feel the 3k offer is quite a bit off what would happen in real life to only offer 5% of the asking price.

It couldn't be it. I'm getting offers of less than half of the value of first team players. One case in particular, my top scorer (Rodrigo from Benfica) valued at 17.5M was wanted and all the offers were around 3M.

It couldn't be it. I'm getting offers of less than half of the value of first team players. One case in particular, my top scorer (Rodrigo from Benfica) valued at 17.5M was wanted and all the offers were around 3M.

Better bug report it then I think, I've never had a bid below what I've set as the asking price.

ME/Graphics seem to have improved on my low-end spec machine and is beginning to look more like how players and the ball would move around on a real game.

Nice touch I hadn't noticed before, my players get muddy as the match passes in the rain.

I'm not getting any sound during the match though, have I missed anything here? (tried all the obvious, and getting sound for everything else non-FM).

• SI Staff
Each time i have started with newcastle i always had a bid £8m for cisse, Now the bid is £1m so something seems off with the transfers since the update has come out.

Logged in the bugs forum here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368379-Low-Transfer-Offers

It is currently being investigated.

Cheers,

Ben

I think the ME graphics are better, some aspects of the UI are better, and the latest patch has made the ME much much better but still needs improvement

However, the rest of the game still isn't good enough for me, primarily because my biggest complaint from FM13 still exists in all its challenge-killing glory.

I've basically just been clicking the space bar throughout the 5 season of my save, because I have been "doing" uni work at the same time, but it has revealed some major flaws in the game.

I started as SUNDAY LEAGUE

Season 1, playing as St. Johnstone in the SPL, I finish 11th, and then get relegated via the playoffs. This I quite enjoyed, as I like it when FM is a challenge.

Season 2, in the Scottish Championship, things started to get ridiculous. My team was

Sam Johnstone, Remi Streete, Shane Duffy, Jack Robinson, Raphael Holzhauser, Chuks Aneke, Patjam Kasami, Gael Kakuta, Alfrd Duncan, Jordan Obita, Stevie May

subs - Jak Alnwick, Mark O'Hara, Aaron Doran, Bard Finne, Connor Wickham, Jordan Bowery, Jordan Lussey

Of these, Only one was a St. Johnstone player, the rest were on loan, all of them for at least 1 season, some 2, all at 0% wage contribution. This is utter nonsense and makes a total mockery of playing in the Scottish championship, what is the point? I mean it is bad enough that I can get so many players for free, but that they are all so good is even worse. The idea that the likes of Holzhauser, Kasami, Kakuta, Wickham etc would go on loan to the Scottish Championship is utterly ridiculous. For some reason in the SPL you have to pay wage contributions but in the Scottish Championship you don't. If this is the result then it doesn't matter what the logic is, it is wrong. I could understand EPL clubs loaning young players with low CA AND low PA to the Scottish Championship, but not anyone that could ever make in top-tier, or second level, football.

I then, with this wonder team, failed to get promoted, cos my tactic sucked and I was just clicking continue. This should have had the game write be down as a crappy manager, but Saints let me stay on. I got promoted the next season after losing some of the better players who had only been on one year loans but adding the likes of Scott Fraser, Matthew Kennedy and Olivier Ntcham, so my manager now has 2 season of failure but 1 Scottish Championship title to his name.

In my first season back in the SPL I guided Saints to a top 6 finish, but got bored around the split and started applying for jobs down south, losing out on a few Championship jobs by demanding too much from the board in interviews. When the Cardiff job, in the championship, came up I decided to take a different tact, and said I would accept lower wage and transfer budgets and making no demands, and was offered it. This seems possibly unrealistic to me, English Championship clubs have hired from Scotland before but Owen Coyle and Derek McInnes had already a reputation down south as players, whereas I was a Sunday league player with 2/3 of my time as a manager being awful. However, I like the idea that English clubs can occasionally take a gamble, so I wouldn't complain too much.

At Cardiff, I again was just clicking continue, and got sacked in February with the club in 20th place in the Championship. This should have marked my manager out as entirely unsuitable for championship level, given I have failed in 3 of my 4 seasons. However, 3 days later the job came up at Leeds who were sitting in the play-off places, again working the job-interview sham feature to my advantage I got the job, but promptly dropped them down to 10th by the end of the season. In the summer I applied for an was offered the Ukraine job, totally unrealistic that Ukraine would offer it to a Sunday-League manager who had lost most of his professional matches bar one Scottish Championship title.....

Continuing to fail with Leeds I got sacked in October 2018. I decided to try my hand at applying for EPL jobs, I was offered an interview by Liverpool but didn't get the job, but in December 2018 I was offered the job by Nottingham Forest who were 18th in the EPL. Job interviews are a joke if they can be so easily fiddled by demanding nothing from the board

There is absolutely NO REASON why EPL Nottingham forest would offer a job to a Sunday League rep manager who was relegated from SPL, not instantly promoted from Scottish Championship, and sacked in under 12 months by two Championship clubs.

"Career" saves are utterly pointless in this game, just as they were in FM 13, failing is supposed to propel you down the leagues to re-establish your reputation, not up them.

I can already anticipate some people saying, the game is supposed to be fun, but this is what the manager starting reputation is for. If you want to be offered big jobs then pick a higher starting rep. The lowest possible rep, however it is titled, should mean that if you fail in a job, and have no history of success, clubs bigger than that one won't hire you.

Sorry FM14, but despite looking a bit pretty, you are pretty awful.

Trying out FMC, to see if that is more enjoyable, so far it is. Though I would have liked to have feeder clubs, but that's just being picky. This is more Football Manager to me though, I just hope the ME looks and feels like it used to; if it's still like Bambi on ice then it might ruin it for me.

Crikey. My reserves have just been thrashed 11-4 by Corby. Poor guys.

Archived