Football Manager 2014 Beta Update and Demo FEEDBACK THREAD

played a bit with the demo 14.1, first impressions have been positive though I'm quite sure I'm not gettin new tactics right :)

a few things i noticed:

- GK still kicks the ball long both from goal kick and open play despite instructions to pass short and distribute to defenders. This has become quite frustrating honestly!

- corner kicks seem very powerful, maybe too much (esp near post)

- above average amount of shots on post/crossbar (even 4-5 per game)

- could very well be my tactics, but playmakers/attackers in AMC position seem unwilling/incapable to dribble in central zones despite attributes and instructions, while wingers/wide attackers complete a great number of dribbles per game (which i like, but AMC ca do that too!)

- 3D during the match is generally smooth and I like it a lot, but for first 10 seconds of play it's very jerky adn slow (after that all goes well). My pc 3D rating is 4.5 stars

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, I do have GPU rendering on, and choose the hide option, and it is always there. What would you like to see?

Hmm, the Action Bar in this case should auto-hide. Are you playing in maximised pitch view (no Title or Tab Bar visible)? If your mouse cursor is positioned around the top of the window, then the Action Bar will stay down/visible. However, if you move it to the middle to bottom of the window, then the Action Bar should hide. That's how it's meant to work. Please confirm if you're seeing different behaviour.

We had the problem of overpowered wingers in FM13 as well.

We aren't seeing overpowered wingers, we are seeing underpowered fullbacks at the moment.

SI have a really tough job to balance things that people are picking up on - too many desperate tackles, low full back ratings, number of crosses, standing off out wide.

At the end of the day, all of these things relate in part to the behaviour of the full backs.

The balance that needs to be struck will aim to address each of these interlinked things, but it needs to do so sensitively in order not to suddenly create overpowered full backs and underpowered wingers. Patience is a virtue, it will get fixed.

Generally loving the game but has anyone noticed whether B and C teams are registering players properly?

I've taken over Real Madrid C, dead last in the league. It seems that the deadline for registration has passed and the previous manager didn't register a single player. I'm just left with the U19's I can call up and any young players I can get on free until the next window.

This is a cosmetic issue but has something been changed about the size of players when viewing the 3D match engine? I've played a few friendlies on the demo managing Norwich City and Wes Hoolahan (168cm 71kg according to the game) appears to be the biggest, fattest player on the pitch. Definately seems to be about the same height or even a little taller then Van Wolfswinkel (186cm 74kg), all the players on the pitch seem to be roughly the same height.

I am finding the game a bit more difficult without sliders. Just reading the description on some of the positions without being able to see how it changes the sliders is a bit disconcerting. Also is there any way to set my team to zonal mark? I have hated how man marking worked in previous versions of FM and always marked zonally.

• Administrators

We've just released an update for 14.1.0 so your game should now be 14.1.1. Yesterday the update for beta went out with an error we thought was minor, but affected lots of people - therefore, we are releasing another. The issue was easily solvable by clearing the cache, but was causing peoples games to crash. We apologise for the inconvenience. Thanks.

I've started a new career with Chelsea and I signed Stevan Jovetic in the first transfer window (2013/14), even though he's just signed for Manchester City. This wasn't available in some previous FM's, but seemed to have creeped back into the game. Why?

Also, Ronaldo and Bale can be bought for £60m each at the end of the 1st season. This is just so fake, and it's getting me annoyed.

Not sure if I got an answer the first time but is it correct that the Reseve team is disabled or not available in the demo? I have tried looking at various teams and non have a reserve team!

If this has been answered apologies.

I'm quite surprised with some of the posts i see here. It's like I'm playing a different game to the one some people play.

Since the last update, I've seen improved scores and number of shots, but even before the update, I never saw a game with 40 shots.

I was destroyed a couple of times, but the opponent had something like 15 shots/6 on target which makes sense.

I was very impressed by the way my team defended a 2-1 win in the last 5 minutes of a game. They were instructed to sit deep, low tempo and waste time and they did exactly that, trying to find the my two wide players who were completely unmarked since the other team was playing 4-2-4.

I'm very pleased with the beta, and even most of the problems i've noticed have already been reported so i expect the game to be really good.

• Administrators
Not sure if I got an answer the first time but is it correct that the Reseve team is disabled or not available in the demo? I have tried looking at various teams and non have a reserve team!

If this has been answered apologies.

If you're playing in England there are no longer reserve teams as real-life, just U21 squads. You can play 3 over-age players in these teams (and a goalkeeper). Thanks.

Anyone else getting this:When I come to load game it shows Ncle.conflict1 and Ncle.conflict2. Both will not load. However, as I keep a back-up I am able to load from that?

Also is this a known bug or just my game and I need to do something with my cache?

Has anyone else been seeing a lot more blowouts?

I've admittedly reloaded following a couple of them, but in my first season I don't think I won or lost a game by more than 3 goals. This season I've already lost a game 9-1 which when I reloaded and made only minor tactical changes I won 7-3, won another game like 7-1, and lost a game 9-1 to a team we had previously tied.

Most significantly I think, it looks like the entire team looks more likely to put in a bad performance. Usually in the past, in my bad games it's maybe 2 or 3 players with poor ratings, and most of the others with average ratings in the mid-6s. But since one of these updates I've had more games where 3 or 4 or 5 players put in sub-5 rated games. Plus I've had a few where practically the entire team gets 8+ and 4 or 5 players get 9+.

Is that morale having too big an effect? Failure breeding too much failure and success breeding too much success?

May also be because teams are taking too many shots so a bit of luck going one way or the other means a blowout.

It's just weird to me. I've had a bunch of games this season that are very different than what I've seen before.

If you're playing in England there are no longer reserve teams as real-life, just U21 squads. You can play 3 over-age players in these teams (and a goalkeeper). Thanks.

Cheers for the clarification, dam that must have passed me by. I cannot even find refernece to it on google.

We aren't seeing overpowered wingers, we are seeing underpowered fullbacks at the moment.

SI have a really tough job to balance things that people are picking up on - too many desperate tackles, low full back ratings, number of crosses, standing off out wide.

At the end of the day, all of these things relate in part to the behaviour of the full backs.

The balance that needs to be struck will aim to address each of these interlinked things, but it needs to do so sensitively in order not to suddenly create overpowered full backs and underpowered wingers. Patience is a virtue, it will get fixed.

I understand all that. My post keeps getting chopped up/quoted in bits ;) , I was really just trying to look at the issue from a different angle to what had already been raised by others. I do think, and I've already said this in an earlier post, that for a Beta, SI have done a cracking job and I'm sure it will only get better. :)

My board/fans/world don't react to me being offered a job or job interview. If I refuse a job interview or a job offer later on, nobody cares. Media don't talk about it, fans aren't concerned, anything... Wenger retired and I was offered Arsenal job (after getting Villa to CL) and nobody cared after I refused it.

Played one game with new update, morale is good again, ratings seemed perfect and that #3 issue seems to be fixed.

I understand all that. My post keeps getting chopped up/quoted in bits ;) , I was really just trying to look at the issue from a different angle to what had already been raised by others. I do think, and I've already said this in an earlier post, that for a Beta, SI have done a cracking job and I'm sure it will only get better. :)

No worries - I wasn't having a pop!

Your comment was just a more constructive one to base a quote on than some of the more "animated" observations :D

Cheers for the clarification, dam that must have passed me by. I cannot even find refernece to it on google.

It's only the Premier IRL. Unfortunately, SI have made the decision to make the Premier reserves more accurate at the expense of every other club in England, which is less accurate.

For a beta, it's still more refined than most games at launch (rtw2, SIM city). So I've been mildly impressed with SI. MOST issues are seemingly minor or aesthetic (if a little annoying). I have the utmost confidence that SI will fix most of the aforementioned issues with the release day patch.Probably the best FM to date.

Guest El Payaso

It's sad that this update made it unplayable for me. Liked the game so far and haven't had any that bad issues with defending or finishing but now both of these seem horrible. There are games where my strikers are able to hit it straight to the keeper no matter where they shoot, in previous updates my team's finishing used to be at least decent but now it's just so unstable. In games where they decide to score I easily score 3-4 goals but in the next game I can end up scoring 0 but not because opponents defence better... Defenders defend seemingly better and are now sticking closer to opposition's players and seem more aggressive but what's the point in this when that really rarely leads into dispossesing that opponent. Even though some areas of defending have now been improved the unrealistic skills of controlling and passing the ball even in the small space leads into lots of goalscoring chances and when the finishing happens to be in there.... It's a disaster; I'm seeing AI teams playing huge amount of high scoring games, results like 7-2 or 6-6 aren't really that rare. And I don't like playing or seeing that kind of football...

My board/fans/world don't react to me being offered a job or job interview. If I refuse a job interview or a job offer later on, nobody cares. Media don't talk about it, fans aren't concerned, anything... Wenger retired and I was offered Arsenal job (after getting Villa to CL) and nobody cared after I refused it.

Played one game with new update, morale is good again, ratings seemed perfect and that #3 issue seems to be fixed.

My team just proposed talks to stay with the club, discuss club vision etc. Not sure if fans know any of it though.

Well I didn't get FM13 so my opinions are going from FM12 and this is only based on an hour or so of play, but I'm not sure I like it.

Very quickly, it feels as if the layout is too cluttered, every page is crammed with buttons, drop down boxes, too much information, too many coloured graphs and charts. I do like how some things are now more easily accessible, but it feels as if everything comes at you at once which can feel quite overwhelming, made worse if you're returning to the game and so are only used to a more simple layout. Especially in a match, where the overview page has about 9 different bits of information; can one get back to the old-style overview page? Framkly it reminds me of the old FIFA Manager games, which were all bit gimmicky, flashy

I guess it's something to get used to though, along with things that have moved/evolved, like the player positions on the tactics page.

It's probably been said before, but I don't like how the actual games are represented graphically. Even with the 2D dots, the players skim around the pitch as if on an air hockey table. Everything is too fluid without looking natural.

Guest El Payaso

Even with the 2D dots, the players skim around the pitch as if on an air hockey table. Everything is too fluid without looking natural.

Yes, it really reminds me of ice-hockey in many ways. Dribbling seems too static to be football and movement of the ball is sometimes so fluid also there are some really weird hard passes that also find their target; like winger passing the ball from byline to half way line for other side's full-back. That kind of passes really shouldn't happen at all and at least shouldn't find the intended target as there are some many players between.

I've seen improved scores and number of shots, but even before the update, I never saw a game with 40 shots.

I was destroyed a couple of times, but the opponent had something like 15 shots/6 on target which makes sense.

Would love to achieve that, which tactics did you use?

Is it just me who is finding 14.1 version a lot better overall? Defending is definitely better and finishing too. I have started seeing goals from outside the box but not too many. Only 2 minor issues i feel are still relatively easy goals from corners and easy for other wingers to run past my FB but now it doesn't always result in a goal.

Now I think I see the problem for the lower scores at the start of the game.

I found this by accident as I was reporting another problem.

Have a look at this screenshot. http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559863671842460614/89DA27EDBBF8AA6E3CC5C032CF73B4712FC9BAEC/

Then have a look at time gone in the game, then look at the possession and then finally at the average ratings, basically my team (Burton) lost points for the kick off and they now have an average rating of 5.9 ;)

Is it just me who is finding 14.1 version a lot better overall? Defending is definitely better and finishing too. I have started seeing goals from outside the box but not too many. Only 2 minor issues i feel are still relatively easy goals from corners and easy for other wingers to run past my FB but now it doesn't always result in a goal.

I agree with this.

Enjoying the game. I feel the ME has improved with the updates. Shooting seems to have more purpose, ie. less clear cut & random stupid decision shots hitting corner flag or going out of ground.

However still feel the woodwork needs to be toned down. I hit it 5 times in my last game (averaging 3x a game). I feel if a 1/3 of these were wide, saved and scored respectively we would be in for a good season of fm 14.

Keep up the good work, because we can see the differences

Hey guys, first beta was fine and really appreciate the hard work u guys do. But I have one question. In beta 1 on Mac is was able to play fullscreen ánd open spotlight when playing in fullscreen mode. That was great for using Gyazo (screenshots) and FM at the same time. But since the 1st patch this isn't possible anymore. Any of u noticed that and planning to 'fix' this?

I've had three matches in a row where my keeper runs to collect the ball, keeps running to the edge of the box and out, getting booked in in the process. 4 or 5 metres over the line too, not a close thing.

AI transfers are definitely weird. During the 2015/16 pre season transfer window this happened.

tGktK5D.png

Why is this so weird?

This would prob not happen in real life but this is a game.

Just saying..

Every time I'm in player search and click on a player's name to see their profile, the list returns back to the top when you exit the player's page. This makes earching players basically impossible. Anyone else getting this?

Yes it's a known issue, hopefully will be fixed for release.

I managed to play beta last night for a few hours and I've noticed 2 things that annoyed me:

1) On "player search" when you click on a player to check him out and go back to the search it brings you back to the top of the list instead of where you left off. This can be quite irritating

2) In transfer center, I feel that I have already answered some transfer offers for my players but the buttons are not greyed out. Either I'm crazy or I really have been answering the same offer multiple times.

Also, when somebody offers me 300k for a player and I negotiate and say he is 2 mil, I get almost the same offer for the same player (300k or maybe just a little above). Before when you negotiate such bigger figure they automaticaly withdraw from negotiations, now it's not the case.

Archived