Football Manager 2014 Beta Update and Demo FEEDBACK THREAD

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, after catching up on the overnight postings I have to say there are quite a few people who could get an invite to Beta test next year, sadly there are many more who won't get asked in a month of Sundays :D

Still it's extremely helpful even when it's negative so keep it coming (and keep it civilised please)

While wingers are overpowered (or fullbacks awful)...inside forwards are pretty bad. I don't know if the problem is the tactical set up on my part or the inside forwards' ratings or ME problem. But Inside Forwards would cut in and refuse to pass to team mates when passing options are there. They'd surge infield and they would either take lots of long shots or run into a tackle, but rarely pass. And yea it seems like players are taking long shots too many times in a game now.

have allready posted in the bug forum this one but no respond yet if its a bug or not...

so i will post and here...tho im sure it has all ready been raised also here...

After continue the news screen doesn't refresh at first but needs from me to press again the continue button or space

When I click Continue, the game resumes normal but no newly news appear in the news screen. When it's done processing, I'm still looking at the same screen and I have to click Continue another time, before the screen refreshes and gives me my new new items.

Same thing happens when i end a game.

cheers..

:D

Yes it's already acknowledged thanks.

Is it possible that SI have lowered the starting ratings for players?

After maybe 2 minutes of play I have a centre midfielder on 5.9, other times it will be my striker after only 2 or 3 minutes being below 6 etc.

I think the starting rating was 6.7 before?

Now it seems it could be maybe 6.2?

Yeah I noticed this too. Since the patch my players' ratings have plummeted, Just had a match where 4 players dropped below 6 without having done much wrong as far as I can see.

* lots of crashes that didn't happen before - always crashes again at the same point after loading the latest save = unplayable at the moment

* not sure if that's expected, but after playing 10 friendlies, training two tactics, matchday training tactic only and level increased the familiarity is still awkward (about 1/3rd). seems a bit excessive

Firstly guys, we are playing the beta so let's keep the feedback constructive with less whining. If you agree to play the beta then you have to expect that there are going to be issues whilst they iron them out.

I've been playing the beta religiously since it came out, and my feedback so far is mainly positive. I've reported a few bugs, but no major show stoppers. The latest release seems to have made the game easier, and my strikers are actually starting to score goals which is nice!

Some non-bug observations of mine are:

1) AI transfers often don't make a lot of sense, but I've had this issue with the game for years. It's almost like the AI approach to transfers is very scattergun, e.g. they desperately need a left back but blow their transfer budget buying three central midfielders in the transfer window when they already have four quality central midfielders at the club.

2) In real life Managers do come and go on a frequent basis. In the game this happens too, but I am finding that too many Managers will happily leave a job to go to another job that is really more a sideways step. E.g. Poyet from mid-table Sunderland to mid-table Stoke after a season.

3) App and bench fees seem very high, but as I don't know what happens in "real" life it's hard to know whether this is accurate or not. According to Harry Redknapp's recent autobiography strikers don't get goal bonus's either, at least not at the top level. Which I guess kind of makes sense as it is actually their job. I'd imagine that players promised first team regular football wouldn't necessarily get an app bonus either but I may be wrong.

4) Way too many really young regens end up getting first team football very early in their careers, so young player records fall left, right and centre within the second season of the game. Unrealistic, but another problem that has existed in the FM series for years now. At lower table clubs this isn't uncommon in real life, but certainly in the first couple of tiers it is.

5) Young player stats are something I have never understood in the game. Especially when you have a player with the pace of 12 and the scout is telling me they have blistering pace! In real life a top FA coach was telling me (in direct relation to this game, as its authenticity is what we were discussing) that whilst 15 year olds will definitely improve as they get older it is more the mental stats that really significantly improve with age. Technical stats will tend to show only slight improvements beyond 17 (e.g. passing, tackling etc. doesn't tend to improve that much if at all), and it will be the decision making that improves. So a youngster may seem to give the ball away a lot, but in reality it is because they are trying to play the wrong ball. As they get older, that improves. Physical stats are similar. The average youngster will have an exceptional natural fitness compared to an average 25 year old in terms of injury recovery and fatigue recovery. Acceleration and pace will improve but not by much (which is why a naturally very quick 14 year old will be able to outpace a quick 25 year old regardless of how much sprint training that 25 year old has). Strength and Stamina definitely improve with age, but Agility decreases with age and the average 16 year old professional footballer is significantly more agile than the average 25 year old footballer.

The other thing he told me was that studies had shown that players with less natural physical attributes, e.g. lack of pace, agility etc. tend to have better footballing brains than athletes. This has been put down to athletic players relying on their athleticism to the point where they don't have to think hard about the game, and visa versa.

I really dislike when it seems only I have an error happening in the game, which seems the case here.

In close cam at times the game just zooms out fully and there is no way for me to zoom back in, this happens every other game and while no way game destroying it is somewhat annoying.

It will revert back after a few highlights have been shown and I can then control it again.

I have mentioned this before the last patch but never seen anyone else post with the same problem, after the patch it is the same.

When the Beta first released I had no such problem.

I really dislike when it seems only I have an error happening in the game, which seems the case here.

In close cam at times the game just zooms out fully and there is no way for me to zoom back in, this happens every other game and while no way game destroying it is somewhat annoying.

It will revert back after a few highlights have been shown and I can then control it again.

I have mentioned this before the last patch but never seen anyone else post with the same problem, after the patch it is the same.

When the Beta first released I had no such problem.

How often is this happening? Every time you use it?

The classification of clear cut/half chances seems even more off than usual after the update ... in particular I'm seeing hit it and hope kicks from closer to the centre line than the goal being classed as half chances.

How often is this happening? Every time you use it?

I always use close cam and I always have it zoomed fully in, I would say roughly 1 in every 3 games the computer will take control of the zoom and it goes to fully zoomed out, it will stay like this for a few highlights and then it will return so that I again have control of it.

As I said not game destroying but it is a tad annoying.

How do I work out if a coach is a 5 star coach without signing them?

There was a third party tool for an older FM version called FM Coach Calculator, where you could input a coach's abilities and it would give you his star ratings. FM14 seems to work from the same formula, so you could try googling the tool and try it out.

Not played much before or after the updates, but my take on player ratings is that they have maybe always been a little high in previous fm’s. Ratings of 7 and over should be indicators of a player having a good or better game, not an average one

I always use close cam and I always have it zoomed fully in, I would say roughly 1 in every 3 games the computer will take control of the zoom and it goes to fully zoomed out, it will stay like this for a few highlights and then it will return so that I again have control of it.

As I said not game destroying but it is a tad annoying.

Can't say I've seen anything like it. Worth creating its own bug thread though and if you can find a way to show the issue ( i dont know if it would show in a pkm? ) that would be great

Can't say I've seen anything like it. Worth creating its own bug thread though and if you can find a way to show the issue ( i dont know if it would show in a pkm? ) that would be great

I will start a thread, I am unsure if it would show up in a pkm though, I am sure Ben or someone else will let me know.

The thing I would say is despite all the problems, people need to understand that this is the BETA they are playing and the full game comes out on 31/10. Just cause we were lucky to experience the game, in whatever state, earlier does not mean judgment should be passed. Reserve that till 31/10.

was flying before the update, and now i cant win a game and the players look like they have not played a game together..

just got promoted, and sitting 4th in the league yet their morale is poor! does not make sense, really considering starting again tbh! something is not right!!

was flying before the update, and now i cant win a game and the players look like they have not played a game together..

just got promoted, and sitting 4th in the league yet their morale is poor! does not make sense, really considering starting again tbh! something is not right!!

I started like that but redid my (minimal) tactics from scratch and normal service is resumed, not sure why though.

Normally patches are produced for improving the game and fixing the bugs it's not valid for FM14.

First Beta version was the most playable and bugless version of the game (mostly match engine and some interface bugs).

After any new patch game started to be a little more unstable and of course unplayable.

Just please give us the first beta release of the game. Every new patch is chopping our gaming enjoy. :(

Normally patches are produced for improving the game and fixing the bugs it's not valid for FM14.

First Beta version was the most playable and bugless version of the game (mostly match engine and some interface bugs).

After any new patch game started to be a little more unstable and of course unplayable.

Just please give us the first beta release of the game. Every new patch is chopping our gaming enjoy. :(

When it involves adjustment of variables your definition is hopelessly wrong, the "enjoy" comes after release :)

The last patch was the most fun I had since FM12, this patch just brought back the first patch horrible defending.

I see 0 improvements so please give us back last patch and stop taking these huge steps backward. (I know it's SI policy to do this but pleaseeee.)

@Skycaptain, first beta version had the same horrible defending, 1st patch made defenders get huge rating but improved wingback defending. This patch just means: Cross = goal.

I just lost a penalty shoot out because Neuer was 2 yards off his line before the ball had even been kicked and ends up saving the penalty a good 4 yards off his line. I could be wrong but I thought GK's weren't allowed to move forwards until the ball has been kicked?

Yeah if only I knew before, I really don't understand they went back to horrible defenders.

I'm playing a just promoted club, this is unplayable atm.

edit: also really, the way defenders clear is still so insanely bad. I mean headers, but also passes forward and the fact that they STILL just stand still and lose the ball to a minus 5 tackling minus 9 strength attacker.

ALSO why are defenders still heading balls that would go behind/over the sideline to give away corners/throwins. Just so horrible.

But hey can't be angry because it's really hard for SI to accept money for unfinished products. (yes this is a beta but this won't be perfect at release by far, remember fm13?)

I just lost a penalty shoot out because Neuer was 2 yards off his line before the ball had even been kicked and ends up saving the penalty a good 4 yards off his line. I could be wrong but I thought GK's weren't allowed to move forwards until the ball has been kicked?

Already complained about that, with proof. My thread got deleted...

Yeah if only I knew before, I really don't understand they went back to horrible defenders.

I'm playing a just promoted club, this is unplayable atm.

They didn't "go back" to horrible defenders, they needed to adjust other things which affected them, are you really sure you should have got the pre release Beta? because you obviously don't have a clue how the Beta system works.

I know it is not possible to bring back 14.03, but that ME was much better that 14.1. this new patch brings again too many goals/ long shots issue.

And what is wrong with the font, did you change it ? why?

We had the problem of overpowered wingers in FM13 as well.

I do wonder to what extent this is a problem of the ME, or a problem of the attributes given to wingers in the game?

As has already been observed, you don't see this in lower league management.

But when I'm seeing Jesus Navas overpowered in my Man City game, and Antonio Valencia the same at Man Utd, and then I compare certain attributes (pace, dribbing, technique, acceleration, balance) to say Messi or Ronaldo, I don't see all that much difference. Hence, no wonder they play, in certain aspects, like Messi or Ronaldo.

So, two things spring to mind:

1. Does there need to be a change in the way the ME interprets certain attributes, giving more importance to some of the mental stats that Messi & Ronaldo have, for example, hence making good / average wingers who have pace, less effective?

2. Does the guidance given to researchers need to be tightened up when they rate players per attribute? If this, then it isn't an ME problem, it is a data problem.

They didn't "go back" to horrible defenders, they needed to adjust other things which affected them, are you really sure you should have got the pre release Beta? because you obviously don't have a clue how the Beta system works.

Beta version 1: horrible defenders

Beta version 2: improved defending (too high ratings)

Beta version 3: horrible defenders.

Even if stuff isn't the same as it was when the beta came out (i understand that), still they went back to horrible defenders. So what I am saying is completely right.

This beta is not fun with this patch and this patch is not an improvement. But hey you are the authority, please defend them while they fail like they did for 3 months with FM13.

And come with better arguments next time.

1. Does there need to be a change in the way the ME interprets certain attributes, giving more importance to some of the mental stats that Messi & Ronaldo have, for example, hence making good / average wingers who have pace, less effective?

2. Does the guidance given to researchers need to be tightened up when they rate players per attribute? If this, then it isn't an ME problem, it is a data problem.

The researchers are pretty consistent and they do get guidelines, so if there is a problem it's most likely the former, though defending against those attributes also comes into the equation.

Beta version 1: horrible defenders

Beta version 2: improved defending (too high ratings)

Beta version 3: horrible defenders.

Even if stuff isn't the same as it was when the beta came out (i understand that), still they went back to horrible defenders. So what I am saying is completely right.

This beta is not fun with this patch and this patch is not an improvement. But hey you are the authority, please defend them while they fail like they did for 3 months with FM13.

And come with better arguments next time.

No, you're completely wrong, because you obviously fail to understand the concepts under which Beta works.

Since the thread was locked and we were told that this was the proper place to discuss it, I'm copying&pasting my comments on the update that removes almost all press conferences from teams in the lower leagues because it's arguably more realistic.

I think they went too far in the other direction. Now, since you also can't call a press conference anymore, there is zero ability to interact in any meaningful way with opposing coaches in lower leagues. I liked the press conferences in this version, they seemed more engaging than in 2013, but now that I'm not getting any at all, and thus can't shape any kind of storyline to the match, it feels like I'm just playing games against various logos, rather than actual teams with players and a coach. Realism is all well and good, and yes they do get annoying when you have one before every match, but no press conferences is worse than too many press conferences. I was enjoying getting snippy with opposing coaches, and being able to hype up my own players. I just think it's kind of silly to try to make things more "realistic" by making managing in lower leagues less fun.

I mean, at least give us, like, a monthly press conference or something to discuss our teams' progress and goals and stuff. Don't just take away a feature that can be fun from those of us who like coaching in lower leagues and tell us we should like it because it's more realistic. Yeah, ok, it is more realistic. It's also not fun.

The researchers are pretty consistent and they do get guidelines, so if there is a problem it's most likely the former, though defending against those attributes also comes into the equation.

I can only talk about my country/league, but even just an eye glance through the biggest FM forum in my country (and one of the biggest in Europe) shows the general discontent with the Portuguese research team. Blatant mistakes like wrong nationalities of players in the top teams (who hardly escape anyone in the country, much less researchers), wrong ownership of players (despite these ownerships being public and available on the team's websites) and bad attributes in many players (the current holder for best player in the league - who most definitely is very well known by the researchers - has an energy attribute of 8 despite running 12-14km in real life per game; the most physically apt player in our legue has poor physical attributes; a newcomer who plays like Messi; players having wrong natural positions despite being first team players for years in one of the top teams in the same position every year; etc.).

1. I don't know if it's just me, but tactics familiarity drops to almost zero in the pre-season. Only change in my team was buying the player I had loaned to me.

2. The offers I get for my players are way too low. Even for first team players there is no offer for even 50% of their value.

3. More often than not my outgoing transfers fail because the buying team didn't have the funds for it. I could understand it happening on rare occasions, but it happens much more often than the ones that do go without any hiccups.

4. I had a ridiculous asking price of €4.5M for a player valued €35m. He was not a first team player, he was a regen that my scouts picked up.

All this could have a common fault, probably reputation.

Archived