Football Manager 2014 Beta Update and Demo FEEDBACK THREAD

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all.

Can't help but think the news item below should have a player picture above the 'Contract Details' panel. If memory serves me well, there was a player picture above those information panels prior to me starting a new save with the new beta. I don't know if anyone's encountered this problem since the new beta update. Here's the issue in question - and it happens with all player-related news items, the no player picture thing:-

0o9l.png

For your information, the player faces have been installed correctly and are working fine, bar on the news items. Thanks in advance.

The player pictures should still be showing on all news items where there's a player subpanel like in your screenshot. Can you please confirm you've installed a face pack?

You cant be sunday league rep as manager of St Johnstone, even if you pick it, it will set your rep higher. Just one thing to note.

My Manager Overview > Profile still has Sunday League as past playing experience, and I've just noticed that my current reputation is still Regional.

Why are EPL Forest hiring a failed regional rep manager? I can't think of any reason other than because job interviews are broken

I would log a bug report and upload a save if it wasn't for the fact that doing so doesn't achieve anything http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/356970-Absurd-Human-Manager-Appointments

second season at real madrid trying to sign javi martinez, mata & azpilicueta every offer gets rejected the minimum accepted is 196m. did manage to sign azpilicueta but only after PSG came in & i matched it. is this the clubs saying we won't sell or something else.

Ticked in match preferences?
Is the match sounds preference definitely ticked on? When exactly did this start happening for you?

It is ticked on. It's happened since I first downloaded the beta (first version), I've never had match sound. There's no sound when I try the 'test' button in preferences either.

Hmm, the Action Bar in this case should auto-hide. Are you playing in maximised pitch view (no Title or Tab Bar visible)? If your mouse cursor is positioned around the top of the window, then the Action Bar will stay down/visible. However, if you move it to the middle to bottom of the window, then the Action Bar should hide. That's how it's meant to work. Please confirm if you're seeing different behaviour.

Correct playing in full screen and Maximised pitch view, and always move my mouse to middle left or middle right of screen. Isn't going away, will have a play with options tonight and see what is happening.

Starting as an unemployed manager with Sunday League reputation running all leagues I applied for all available jobs and got offered interviews for mostly lower league teams. Out of all the interviews I went to using the same routine slightly less wage and transfer budget with no board recommendations I got offered jobs in Singapore, Malaysia, South Africa and Northern Ireland.

The player pictures should still be showing on all news items where there's a player subpanel like in your screenshot. Can you please confirm you've installed a face pack?

Indeed it is. My facepack is working correctly; just not when it comes to the news items. I've seen a few having to clear their cache in instances similar to this - should I try doing that?

Is there any way that all of these bugs will be fixed by tomorrow? I love FM but these beta updates seem to be making the game worse.

Many of them already are, and they won't stop fixing after tomorrow either.

It is ticked on. It's happened since I first downloaded the beta (first version), I've never had match sound. There's no sound when I try the 'test' button in preferences either.

That is strange. I realise you've mentioned sounds play fine outside of FM, but do you know if your sound card drivers are up-to-date?

Starting as an unemployed manager with Sunday League reputation running all leagues I applied for all available jobs and got offered interviews for mostly lower league teams. Out of all the interviews I went to using the same routine slightly less wage and transfer budget with no board recommendations I got offered jobs in Singapore, Malaysia, South Africa and Northern Ireland.

I can accept if my diatribe above is slightly diminished by the fact starting with a job undoes some of the "career" mode aspect, but that said I still shouldn't have been getting any of those jobs

I can accept if my diatribe above is slightly diminished by the fact starting with a job undoes some of the "career" mode aspect, but that said I still shouldn't have been getting any of those jobs

There has to be a base line or you'd never get to play :)

A small gripe is the really high appearance fees players want in addition to unused sub appearances. Theses can be around 50% of their actual weekly wage. For a player I intend to play every week, this is really high

They can be negotiated down substantially but you need to look at all areas of the contract to do it, not just up the minimum fee release clause like in the good old days:D

Just downloaded the beta and so started a new game. As Spurs I made offers for Pavlyuchenko and Robinho. The next day I had two news items informing me my £1m offer for Robinho had been rejected which I found weird as he is valued at 6m and I was sure I had made a much larger offer. Then I read an item telling me my 850k offer for Pav had been rejected and I know for sure I submitted an offer ith clauses and such that came to exactly 9.75m.

I also offered out all my full backs ( in the demo I got 30m for Walker and 10m for Rose) I offered them out for the same and recieved offers of 2.7k (yeah thats £2,700) for rose and 1.9m for walker.

Any one had anything like this??

(Sorry to Kriss for having to close a thread, I never thought to put it here, thats my bad mate.)

Just won 10 games in a row post update.

I was doing well before but winning games 4-3 with the odd crushing defeat now and again. Now its just 2-0, 3-0 etc.

My keeper and defenders are just more 'switched on'

I hope its just some kind of 'morale roll', however i restricted 1 team to ZERO chances in the game whilst creating 33 of my own (scoring only 1).

That makes me worry about the Match Engine.

I preordered the game on Steam. Under "pre-purchase" offer, Steam states that the full version will be released to pre-purchase customers on Monday, 4 November. Is this accurate? Will I have to wait until Monday, or will I be able to play the full version when it comes out on the 31st?

A bit more info please?

Sorry, I'm managing in The Skrill North and not one of my players wants to enter discussions about a new contract. Won't even allow me to offer anything. They all out refuse to even talk. This never happened pre the update

"Career" saves are utterly pointless in this game, just as they were in FM 13, failing is supposed to propel you down the leagues to re-establish your reputation, not up them.

This is exactly like real life then. My work career has been filled with people failing upwards just because they tell upper management what they want to hear :D

As for your experience with the game, it feels like you're going to extremes to find out how the game will break. The problem with dynamic games like FM, Civilization etc is that if you try to break them by making extreme decisions (like spamming space bar to see how the game will run), they most probably will break in a myriad of ways. As dynamic as these games are, they still depend on a reasonable behavior from player.

You do raise good points about loans and I agree that boards should have some minimum expectations. But I think these are already working at an acceptable level. As a big club manager who loans out players, I also loan the players going to lower leagues without making any salary contribution demands. Otherwise I get stuck with them cause none of the upper league teams want them. This is how things work for the club I support in real life as well (they are in stock market, so it's mandatory for them to share financial details of their deals. You can easily follow what's going on).

On the job contract front, my board demands that the team plays attacking football and wins the title. If I try to lower these demands, they just insist on them. I'd imagine that the small time clubs are more lenient on lowering expectations due to their financial status.

• SI Staff
Assuming you were talking to me Milner, I cleared my cache and still nothings changed every offer I put in comes back as a different one and teams arent willing to pay more than 2m for anyone

Clearing your cache should resolve the issue with the different transfer offer figure being displayed.

If it hasn't worked for you could you please look at this post for further advice - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368421-Rejected-transfer-bids-different-than-the-ones-offered?p=9137530&viewfull=1#post9137530

The issue regarding low transfer bids is one that we are looking into and it is reported here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368379-Low-Transfer-Offers

Cheers,

Ben

You've lost me.

If you started with Sunday league rep, getting sacked from Championship clubs means you should be offered L1/L2 jobs, not EPL

I don't see what anyone can say that can change that, smiley face or not

Have to agree with Herbet here. Based on what he's there shouldn't be a second tier team willing to take a punt on him unless they're in the most dire of circumstances (no offense Herbs ;) ). I think even L1 might be a bit of a push.

I understand there being a need for a manager to always be able to get a job but it should be at a very low level. A manager with the past record mentioned above shouldn't be even in the running for the jobs mentioned. I'm hoping it's not like this across the board.

Do the players get their kits more dirty during the game? When watching the game in 3D obviously.

My team is in white but i suddenly noticed the players that tackles the most have dirty shirts and shorts.

If that is so.....nice little touch there.

As for your experience with the game, it feels like you're going to extremes to find out how the game will break. The problem with dynamic games like FM, Civilization etc is that if you try to break them by making extreme decisions (like spamming space bar to see how the game will run), they most probably will break in a myriad of ways. As dynamic as these games are, they still depend on a reasonable behavior from player.

I totally get your point, but I haven't been spamming the keyboard, perhaps I exaggerated slightly to hide my shame at my abject failure. I just hadn't been watching the games or making a single tactical change since the first day, and only signing players scouts recommended or came up instantly on the player search available loans screen, so I don't think my apathy would be responsible for the bizarre results I've been getting

Have to agree with Herbet here. Based on what he's there shouldn't be a second tier team willing to take a punt on him (edit - totally agree, but an EPL signed me!) unless they're in the most dire of circumstances (no offense Herbs ;) ). I think even L1 might be a bit of a push.

I understand there being a need for a manager to always be able to get a job but it should be at a very low level. A manager with the past record mentioned above shouldn't be even in the running for the jobs mentioned. I'm hoping it's not like this across the board.

I'm glad someone agrees with me, was beginning to think I was going crazy....

As you can see from post above I posted same bug in FM13 to no reply

You started with a Sunday league reputation at an SPL club, that in its self is unrealistic so how can you complain about realism?

An oft-used but utterly meaningless response.

Even if we take realism out of the question and just deal with it from the point of view of making the game enjoyable, given the existence of the different options for starting rep, where is the enjoyment in a game which rewards you for abject failure?

Its like in some FPS games where if you keep dieing at the same bit each time you reload they slowly reduce the number of enemies, might work for some but not for all. If you are going to have options at the beginning of the game, and then on your own forums refer to these options as being similar to a difficulty level, then don't make the "hardest" difficulty level reward you for failure, simple as that

Hi, I have brought up Dover from the Skrill South Premier, to League 1. But as I in june is trying to sign new free agents, ALL of them are unwilling to play for me, as they think a club of my ambitions are to simple for them. This goes for all players, exceptfor released Youth Players. Any help?

I do understand Herberts point, but i do understand the point that its a game and at some point it has to remember its just a game. If you were no good at the game, starting off unemployed it would get pretty boring pretty quickly if all you could get was bottom of the ladder jobs in clubs that are on a hiding to nothing.

Fine lines and all that jargon.

You started with a Sunday league reputation at an SPL club, that in its self is unrealistic so how can you complain about realism?

That doesn't really invalidate the rest of what Herbet had to say though. That aspects already been covered - when you take on a job at the start of the game your rep is matched to it if it is higher.

What follows afterwards still stands. A manager with one decent season (two at a push if you count the top 6 finish) getting job offers not only a big clubs in better leagues but increasingly high levels jobs despite increasingly poor performance. If you plotted level of management and leve of success (matches won or expectations met etc.) then you'd find a negative correlation there. As he gets worse the jobs are getting (slightly) better.

I do understand Herberts point, but i do understand the point that its a game and at some point it has to remember its just a game. If you were no good at the game, starting off unemployed it would get pretty boring pretty quickly if all you could get was bottom of the ladder jobs in clubs that are on a hiding to nothing.

Fine lines and all that jargon.

The existence of the optional starting reps undoes your otherwise valid point for me.

If I had started as ex-international footballer then I couldn't have any complaint.

If the game doesn't allow a difficulty level where you can't accrue reputation simply by having a job, then why not? Remember my rep is still "regional" in-game

Why not just have at least one starting rep where getting sacked affects your career trajectory in a realistic way?

since the update earlier today I have had 2 crashes- I had no crashes at all before that since first downloading the beta.

I rather uselessly don't have any more of the info but thought i'd bring it up...if it happens again i'll post it in the bugs thing

The existence of the optional starting reps undoes your otherwise valid point for me.

If I had started as ex-international footballer then I couldn't have any complaint.

If the game doesn't allow a difficulty level where you can't accrue reputation simply by having a job, then why not? Remember my rep is still "regional" in-game

Why not just have at least one starting rep where getting sacked affects your career trajectory in a realistic way?

Yes and no, again i see where your coming from. The optional rep is pretty much the "difficulty" setting for FM, the lower you go the harder it is to start up. My point was more, say your a brand new player, take over your beloved St Johnstone, get sacked for being rubbish, the only way to go is down, so you end up with the Alloa job, again do rubbish, the only way from there is down, slowly it gets boring quickly and your likely to either walk away from the game, or start again, and repeat the first few steps all over again. At some point SI have to say "ok, realism can wait for a sec here".

Agree here. They should add so you can get 'game over' when your rep goes too low/sacked too many times ;)

The update has deleted my saved game?!?! Just loaded it up to continue my career and it made me type my name and DOB etc in again, and no saved games available? awesome...

this happened to me- all your saved games are still where you saved them, you just need to go get them via 'load game'

Archived