Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

would be nice if somebody who really understands shouts could make a little guide about various shout combinations for different scenarios.

In my stafford thread over at TT&F, after you get past all the bla bla theoretical tactical hyperbole, you will find me talking through what i did for some of the games and in a few matches especially the ones i give a 90 minute breakdown for, I explain what shouts I use and why. that could help..i dont really have the time to write a full thread about shouts..and there is another thread on the forums..and on my blog where i talk through the shouts and show what sliders/instructions they affect and how overusing shouts can destroy tactics.

The match engine doesn't require a rocket science explanation..even though i seem to go on and on about it in my threads..thats probably cos i am having too much fun with the game..but if people stick by and make logical structured tactics and use the right shouts...you can actually enjoy the game. There are still some quirks with the engine, none though in my opinion are game breakers, yeah but thats my personal opinion.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? I'll have to look into that next time I play. Ironically, I just, for the first time ever, realized that I could actually distinguish the black parts of the ball from the white parts. The ball can't be that small if I can do that?

Not when it's on the far side of the field you can't! It's very difficult to see at all sometimes.

Really? I'll have to look into that next time I play. Ironically, I just, for the first time ever, realized that I could actually distinguish the black parts of the ball from the white parts. The ball can't be that small if I can do that?

That's because its the first time those black parts are there. It used to be a plain white ball with an SI logo and a single stripe on it. The black bits seem to make the ball even harder to see.

There is a brighter ball mod available in the Skinning Forum though. It's pretty good.

Any chance you could upload a video?

[video=youtube;QPkLZeINhFM]

Granted the first isn't the best example, he didn't have too many options there with my team being pushed so far up at that point and the attacker chasing the ball down, he may have caught it, but i'd have rather the GK booted the ball into Row Z than take a couple of touches and kick it into the middle of the pitch. That is the main problem with it though, his distribution of the ball when he's way out of position leaves me very worried. The second one i have no idea what he was doing. He ran all that way to knock the ball off the pitch when there was no pressure and we were getting a goal kick, yet when he was under pressure he took a couple of touches and kicked it up the middle of the pitch...

Yeah the Injuries need a quick hot patch me thinks its unplayable atm for me. Before my players would get 1-2 injuries a month most 8-12 days sort of things and only get 3-4 hard injuries a season with the squad. Since patch I had like half of team injured most of the season and its just impossible injuries to people who don't have a history. One match got 4 injuries in the match it seems like the ME patch has turned AI into nutters and added a new kind of tackle strength Kill !

Also tho may I point out don't change the ME to much beyond this point unless you really feel it is needed because I find apart from the injuries this is very classy ME and feels tons better so far then FM2012 just needs polish me thinks. :thup:

EDIT: also in regards to the injuries (trying to think of all the info to help as much as I can) They seem to be ME related as in most of the injuries are happening in matches. But I would also suggest tuning down a little training injuries because they seem a little to freq(In regards to players injuring other players).

Agreed, at the moment there are too many injuries to too many teams to enjoy the game right now

Yes agree with this point too ball is hard to see I think its because the pitch is a little more brighter or something !

There's a brighter ball mod here:

http://footballvideogames.weebly.com/miscellaneous-fm13-downloads.html

Basically the dark markings have been removed and a brighter shade of white used to make it more visible during play.

The ball is actually the correct size, but SI should really think about making it more visible in game. This gets asked for every week, it seems.

One of my players has had around 17 yellows and two reds for for diving. You don't need me to tell you that it's ridiculous, but I guess I just did!

I've had a total of 57 yellows and 1 red in 58 matches since the update, it isn't happening to everybody just as injuries in epic proportions aren't.

It would seem that something in the updates combines with certain conditions in some peoples saves to create these anomolies.

ScreenShot2012-11-22at124921PM.png

Since the patch. This is my team's first season in La Liga. I am using the same tactic with which we won Liga adelante on the previous ME and the exact same team. My team is taking less shots but but are averaging about the same number of goals and so are the opposition.

My last 2 games have been crazy.

The first I was 2-0 down > 2-1 > 3-1,then we get into the last 10 minutes and it goes 3-2 > 3-3 I then decide to take what I have got and go defensive and in the last minute I win 4-3.

The second game I am leading 3-1 at half-time then 4-1 the last 15 minutes and they come back to 4-3 and my keeper pulls of a great save in the dying seconds so we keep the win.

Not good for the heart this game.

I've had a total of 57 yellows and 1 red in 58 matches since the update, it isn't happening to everybody just as injuries in epic proportions aren't.

It would seem that something in the updates combines with certain conditions in some peoples saves to create these anomolies.

Do you mean we don't know if certain players are being booked excessively for diving?

Edit - Not sure if I should sell him or not. He scores 30 plus a season but is an absolute liability sometimes.

I continue to thoroughly enjoy the process. It is my observation that some users are extremely precious about their perceived tactical knowledge. However it is their lack of personal responsibility for their failure to adapt to next generation of the game's match engine that is preventing them from overcoming this. It is evidently revealing itself in the form of anger and blame at SI, who may I say once again have produced a wonderful product and I thank them very much for their craft. The latest patch is another of an endless set of examples of their high scoring work rate, if you will.

Football Manager has evolved even more into a considered manager's game, where in depth contemplation is required (increased realism) and I certainly welcome this development. Thank you SI.

:lol: sorry, but your name gives you away.

Really.....

evertonvsouthamptonstat.png

Second game after the patch, this better be a blip, my usually reliable striker Jay Rodriguez (finishing 17 and composure 19) who scored 29 goals last year in only 12 starts, didn't just miss these he either blazed them miles wide or over or straight at the keeper.

Two defeats since the patch change, the play looks better but I've conceded 3 goals and lost both games from 1 clear cut chance between the two teams. Yet i've had 9 clear cut chances and probably the same amount in half chances between the two games and scored 2 goals.

ScreenShot2012-11-22at124921PM.png

Since the patch. This is my team's first season in La Liga. I am using the same tactic with which we won Liga adelante on the previous ME and the exact same team. My team is taking less shots but but are averaging about the same number of goals and so are the opposition.

ScreenShot2012-11-22at11214PM.png

As shown in this pic, I'm pretty much thoroughly dominating every match (with the exception of the Real Madrid and Mallorca matches). I've had 2 or 3 matches where the opposition didn't so much as get a shot on goal. I created the tactic using the advice given in the previous feedback thread by WWFan and Rashid1 while my team was in Segunda B. I've continued to use it through Liga Adelante and now La Liga. It worked magnificently in the previous ME and continues to do so in the current ME. It has proven, to least to me, what WWFan has said repeatedly: if a tactic is structurally sound, no amount of changes in the ME is going to make your team go from playing beautiful cohesive football, to playing like crap.

Saw my first truly dubious result of the new ME today. Lost to Newcastle in a 4-0 blowout. While I think defending is vastly improved over the 13.1.2 version, the following issues still remain:

1) Fullbacks don't cover wingers correctly. They seem to follow them along until the touchline until they get near the end of the field, at which point the fullback will suddenly slow down and give the wingers space to cross. Seen this one several times.

2) When there's a scramble in front of goal, defenders/keepers aren't frantic enough at scrambling the ball away. They often seem to stand motionless 3 feet from the ball as if they aren't aware of the situation.

Anybody else got very clumsy goalkeepers?

Yes, even top GKs sometimes look like they have soap on their gloves. Even when the GK isn't under pressure he can drop the ball, look at it for a while until a striker comes along to put it in... It was also the case in the previous patch, however.

what res do you play in ? I play in 1920x1200 and its hard to see.

There's a brighter ball mod here:

http://footballvideogames.weebly.com/miscellaneous-fm13-downloads.html

Basically the dark markings have been removed and a brighter shade of white used to make it more visible during play.

The ball is actually the correct size, but SI should really think about making it more visible in game. This gets asked for every week, it seems.

Thanks will look into this I don't normally like to add mods but this seems a must, tho pointless atm with all my injuries haha !

There's still too many fluke goals scored by the opposition. Flying in from long free kicks, going in from byline crosses etc. Oh well.

This must be you my players score tons of lucky goals. Quick question ! Do you play with lots of crossing ? I do and get many lucky goals from crosses gone wrong/right sort of thing lol.

Still can't get over the too low shots on goal vs RL issue. I think i will wait for the next update.

I see too many games with teams having less than 10 shots per game, which is highly unrealistic... A game between Osasuna and Malaga in FM 6-5 shots, in real life 18-14,

or teams that are unable to have 1 single shot on goal all game, like the screenshot above.

Hope that the next update balances things more.

:lol: sorry, but your name gives you away.

Ha! No, I no longer work in PR, but I did when I joined back in 2005. Now in fact I no longer work!

Yeah the Injuries need a quick hot patch me thinks its unplayable atm for me.

For 666th occasion over the past 3 weeks and just 48 hours following the latest patch, the game is labelled 'unplayable' again... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Completely ridiculous.

In general, the ME is coming along nicely

SI would be the first to admit the shot/goal ratio thing needs work and I'm hoping they sort it soon.

But besides that, I'm liking the difficulty level and I'm liking the hard work that has to be put in to win games.

Such a fine balance to get it right I guess.. and you can't please everyone.

As shown in this pic, I'm pretty much thoroughly dominating every match (with the exception of the Real Madrid and Mallorca matches). I've had 2 or 3 matches where the opposition didn't so much as get a shot on goal. I created the tactic using the advice given in the previous feedback thread by WWFan and Rashid1 while my team was in Segunda B. I've continued to use it through Liga Adelante and now La Liga. It worked magnificently in the previous ME and continues to do so in the current ME. It has proven, to least to me, what WWFan has said repeatedly: if a tactic is structurally sound, no amount of changes in the ME is going to make your team go from playing beautiful cohesive football, to playing like crap.

Interested to see what advice you was given, don't suppose you know what page in the other feedback thread it's on do you ?

Although i do like the new ME one thing that does annoy me is being a goal down with a couple of minutes to go, going all out attack and having to watch my defence pass it between them in my own half for the remainder of the game. Also in the same situation, my goalkeeper receives the ball, im expecting him to pump the ball into the box and he knocks it out for a throw in 'to play safe' as the commentary states.

There's a fundamental bug here. last 4 games opponents shots on goal: 0 lost 0-1, 1 lost 0-1, 1 drew 1-1 and 3 lost 3-1. It seems every single shot on goal goes in.

I am guessing they score from their single shot because the shots on goal ratio is so low that teams actually need to score some goals...

I have some serious problems with how things are presented to you under a match. When there is something "wrong" with your tactics your keeper lets long shots go through his feet/straight through him. Your forwards will bang the ball over the bar most of the time from 6 yards. none of your longshots will hit the target ++

Then you do a few adjustments and suddenly your keeper is superman, your longshots hits the goal, your striker gets finishing 30 it would seem. While the opposition players suddenly can't shot anymore, their keeper starts making bad mistakes ++

The chances look excactly the same but the result is very different. When your tactics is good according to the ME players suddenly start making great longshots, where they always would put it into orbit unpressured before.

The way things are displayed makes you clueless as to what is wrong, coz when something is wrong you are still creating good chances only for you strikers to make a terrible misses one on one with the keeper. But when the tactics is set up "correctly" they will easily bang it in from 30 yards.

When you tac is good its displayed as the opposition doing terrible individual errors, when your tactics is bad its your players doing individual errors. But you are still creating great oppertunities for your players to squander in misterious ways.

If your keeper can't stop a single shot it might very well be something wrong with your striker roles, fix that and your keeper will suddenly start stopping fantastic shots.

Its just fubar the way things are presented to you during matches making it a guessing game what to do to fix it. And when you do fix it, its presented like the opposition players have no skills,determination or decision making abillity.

Anybody else got very clumsy goalkeepers?

2 pre season friendlys later De Gea makes a massive mistake and manages to let ball go through him, and then the keeper for the oppo in the next game drops the ball into the net......................... oh and i have lost 3 friendlys and not scored other than the fluke goal.

Maybe SI need to start looking into hiring more testers. This year there seems to be big problems with the match engine that you start to see re-occurring within a few games. I don't see how the low shot count especially was missed.

In my opinion this should never have happened anyway. I think once they made the decision to use this match engine they should have left it as it was in the first update and only fixed bugs and not the way the match engine works. From what i say it's 1 step forwards 2 steps back with the big changes and then new bugs as a result. I don't see this changing for a good while yet.

My advice to SI would be to fix bugs that don't effect how the match engine works and concentrate on the big problems separately and do a lot more testing. You can't keep drastically changing the game every few weeks which then leads to more big bugs being found. You're just going around in circles that way

Agreed. This is the most unplayable FM or CM that i have ever played since I first started to play the series and I am pretty disappointed and have a large gap in my free time to fill!

I wouldn't say it's un-playable, but to play it you do need to just accept the game the way it is and try to ignore the big bugs (as difficult as it is). What frustrates me is the fact that both big updates that have came out have resulted in just as many new bugs that have previously been fixed. It's to much to fast if you ask me and i think they are feeling the pressure of all of us and should just forget about us (not in a rude way but in a way where they can go away and fix the game properly) and then bring out the next big update which would have been tested properly and where we wont find ourselves on this forum complaining more than we are playing the game

Archived