Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

You always do this. State there is clearly no problem, unless it's a problem with you.

If something's as 'broken' as people make out, it would happening to everyone playing the game. This isn't a difficult concept to understand.

You did it with the ME, accusing players of making things up because you hadn't experienced them, there couldn't possibly be a problem.

I accused people of making things up when they were clearly, er, making things up. Plenty people had genuine concerns over the previous ME. I openly said there was work needing done to it. Again, not really that hard to grasp.

And then when you started to experience issues it was the worst ME update ever.

Never once did I EVER even imply it was the 'worst ME update ever'. If you'd taken to time to understand what was posted, my concerns were purely based on whether the update made the game swing more towards beating the ME, rather than beating the opposition per game. That was a change I perceived on a personal level not to be a positive one. I still feel that way to a certain extent, but my overall enjoyment of what is, IMO, the best FM yet, overrides this.

The bottom line is that a bug in the game would affect everyone, eg the Tax bug, the bug where keepers fell over, or the bug where strikers would pass back when clean through. They've all, as far as I can see, been addressed.

The previous ME looked to be more lenient with injuries based on pressing, hard tackling tactics, and perhaps even fitness of players. Whether there's been any update to that side of the game, I don't know (as I've not noticed a difference myself), but there is not a chance in hell that it's a 'bug' or every single user would be experiencing it. Don't you agree?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then post PKM examples in the bugs forum, please, so they can get looked at.

I am sure SI can start a game in full detail, let it run one season and see the shots at goal ratio is too low(not only a bit low) compared to RL, thanks.

Also, why have you removed arms from the keepers on this edition? I'm sure I've seen keepers with them in real life, but they don't seem to have them on FM, or at least if they do, they don't use them.

FAO OneUnited.

THIS is an example of the type of rubbish I used to dismiss during the over the top criticisms of the game when it first came out. Thanks wanderer89 for helping to prove a point. :p

I am sure SI can start a game in full detail, let it run one season and see the shots at goal ratio is too low(not only a bit low) compared to RL, thanks.

If you can't be bothered, then please don't bother posting either. Thanks.

FAO OneUnited.

THIS is an example of the type of rubbish I used to dismiss during the over the top criticisms of the game when it first came out. Thanks wanderer89 for helping to prove a point. :p

Glad I could help.

Yeah it is an exaggeration, but that's what I'm seeing. Shots that I could save, going in, if I was in the lower league levels, I'd understand tbh, but when I've got Neuer in goal, with very good goalkeeping stats, that should not be happening, so my only conclusion is that he has no arms.

I accused people of making things up when they were clearly, er, making things up.

You seem to do a lot of accusing on this board though,you were accusing me of cheating for signing players,then you were accusing people of lying when they said they were having so many shots at goal but not managing to score,after the patch you also started to say you were having problems.

Why are you always so sure that people are being dishonest?

People post on these boards not only out of frustration but also because they want the game they love to be better,there is no reason to make things up as it will not help the game.

You seem to do a lot of accusing on this board though,you were accusing me of cheating for signing players,then you were accusing people of lying when they said they were having so many shots at goal but not managing to score,after the patch you also started to say you were having problems.

Why are you always so sure that people are being dishonest?

People post on these boards not only out of frustration but also because they want the game they love to be better,there is no reason to make things up as it will not help the game.

I completely agree that there's no reason to make things up. Some of the accusations were so exaggerated it was unreal though.

And this is Football Manager. Coupled with an anonymous internet forum. Dishonesty goes hand in hand with both, and has done for many years, sadly.

You'll notice that, when prompted by your good self, I was able to provide screenshots of my findings. I still can't quite accept that a tactic perfectly suited to the players I had pre-patch, and which was clearly working, suddenly stops working post-patch, and that it's all down to me not being 'tactically sound'. I'm now using a tactic not wholly suited to the sqaud I have, but it's working better. Doesn't really bother me now, as I love the game anyway, but at the time, it was a bit frustrating. I don't see this as any kind of 'bug', just my team not adapting to an updated ME, when really unless a) the team were set up all wrong, and subsequently b ) the previous ME was completely flawed in a tactical sense, this shouldn't have affected performances to such an extent.

I don't think it's broken, I don't think it's unplayable, I don't think it's the 'worst ME' ever, I merely put a point across in a non-hyperbolic manner backed up with screenshots from the game.

That's all.

No offence.

In regards to injuries:

They haven't been touched so i've been told but something has changed which has taken them way beyond realistic levels. Now, it may very well be the fact that pressing has been fixed (still needs big improvements through the middle imo), however they aren't just occurring for my team but for every team all around the world. Messi? Out for 5 weeks, Thiago - 3 months, Götze - 4 months, Rooney - 2 months (all at various stages of the game). So does this mean that all the teams around the world are facing up against high pressing and tough tackling teams? Now it isn't happening for everyone but it seems to suggest then that in some (quite a few) of peoples saves, teams must be playing exactly the same kind of tactics then if thats the case (pressing being the cause)?

It's either that or it would be a suggestion to tone down the effect on injuries pressing has because it shouldn't be leading to players all across the world getting injured for long periods no matter what their training set up is or tactics they play, right now it isn't realistic at all

For what it's worth i've also seen training ground injuries increase from what it was in 13.1.2

There will always be a few "weirdos" that won't notice a real problem that the majority of people will, and there will also be a few of those that will moan about problems that only they seem to have while the majority doesn't.

The wisdom lies in recognition when the problem is real and when it is not. If you read forums carefuly, you can easily see real problems, because you can't by the love of God miss so many people complaining about same things- specificaly in this FM awful goalies, defenders, shots, injuries now and whatnot.

So MacZidane, there is no reason for you to defend the game so fiercely and blast genuine fans who have problems. If I enjoyed it like you do, I would never be here right now. I'd be playing the game and spending my time on players section forums, not here fighting these honest people :D

what morale level does he have before the start of the game and what was it during the game.

From a real life perspective, and I know its isolated, but Torres springs to mind?

Missing chances is not a tactical thing ! it could be a morale, mental thing etc..

Superb or very good from what I remember, the whole team are at this level. He'd also alreaady been scoring goals before the patch, he has also scored tougher chances since, but has still missed 3 chances you would back your grandma to score. He has been a very reliable goalscorer for four years, scoring somehting like 90 goals in 130 games or so.

I'm beginning to spot the reason here... :p

Yeh yeh, it's not the real life version of him. As I said finishing of 17, composure of 19, there are very few people in the game that have better attributes than that.

Like I said 'miss of the season' level misses only happen rarely IRL, and it's very odd that my previously efficient striker now misses sitters since the ME update.

I have really learned to appreciate the new match engine.

In most other versions you have been able to 'out attack' the AI teams with little thought for defence and be very successful.

In this version you cannot do that with out exposing your self to freak results, i.e 5-4, 6-3 losses etc.

However, after a run of results like this I sat down and designed a tactic aimed at stopping teams overunning my midfield and getting round the sides and was rewarded with 11 clean sheets in 12 games.

I believe anyone can design a good tactic for this match engine in about 10 minutes if you concentrate 80% on defence and 20% on attack rather than the other way round.

This is much more realistic and a big step forward.

They don't even need to do that , they already told us it would be low, try reading PaulC's introductory post to this thread.

If you players dont do what they should - take the creative freedom away from em - it helped my striker and IFs ALOT ;)

Ill give a more constructive feedback when Ive tested lower ranked clubs abit. Won everything with Chelsea and played good football doing it - but Like always I lose motivation when winning champions league :(

What ive seen which seems kinda buggy/could be improved is:

- Own goals; they happen ALOT in my games.

- more variety in goals; strikers seem to shot even when not pressured, Id like to see them run closer evt try round the keeper or lob or just anything they could be caple of doing taking their attributes into consideration.

- Injuries; ive have to test it more but it seems kinda high.

- Sometimes players just run out the touchline for no reason at all with the ball.

- Players waiting for the ball too often.

- Clever(flair,decisions,creativity) players should have more options with creative freedom on; atm I have to take it off cause they do stupid stuff mostly.

The list of pros would be very very long, especially taking the old Me into consideration - its simple two different worlds!

Very very good job on defending and midfield work. Its a HUGE upgrade and now Ive advised my friends to buy the game ;)

If something's as 'broken' as people make out, it would happening to everyone playing the game. This isn't a difficult concept to understand.

Not if it was related to a specific tactical instruction it wouldn't. The injuries could be a by product of more pressing. If everyone used that, we'd all get the same. If 50% of people used it, then surely not everyone would see it. This is what I meant.

I accused people of making things up when they were clearly, er, making things up. Plenty people had genuine concerns over the previous ME. I openly said there was work needing done to it. Again, not really that hard to grasp.

You have accused people of making things up, one example and I paraphrase: "the ice skating effect is in your head, you're making it up" when clearly there are examples of players sliding over the pitch rather than running. Videos have been posted to show it, but you dismissed it quickly and accused someone here of having it in their imagination because you hadn't seen it yourself. This is what I meant.

Never once did I EVER even imply it was the 'worst ME update ever'. If you'd taken to time to understand what was posted, my concerns were purely based on whether the update made the game swing more towards beating the ME, rather than beating the opposition per game. That was a change I perceived on a personal level not to be a positive one. I still feel that way to a certain extent, but my overall enjoyment of what is, IMO, the best FM yet, overrides this.

The bottom line is that a bug in the game would affect everyone, eg the Tax bug, the bug where keepers fell over, or the bug where strikers would pass back when clean through. They've all, as far as I can see, been addressed.

The previous ME looked to be more lenient with injuries based on pressing, hard tackling tactics, and perhaps even fitness of players. Whether there's been any update to that side of the game, I don't know (as I've not noticed a difference myself), but there is not a chance in hell that it's a 'bug' or every single user would be experiencing it. Don't you agree?

No, I don't agree. As I've said, some bugs are synonymous with certain tactical instructions. Some bugs, e.g., the tax bug, would only affect some players where the tax rates were due to change, so no, I don't agree with you that if there was a bug, every single user would be experiencing it.

If this were the case, do you not think that SI would have picked up EVERY single bug, if it were that easy to find them? The reason they're still coming out now is because the game is based on such complex scenarios that bugs are very specific to how the user is playing the game.

Anyway: there's little point in carry on discussing this. I don't feel you dismissing people's feedback particularly helpful. Especially when the accusations are of a acrimonious nature.

Not if it was related to a specific tactical instruction it wouldn't. The injuries could be a by product of more pressing. If everyone used that, we'd all get the same. If 50% of people used it, then surely not everyone would see it. This is what I meant.

So, it's not 'broken' then, is it? :rolleyes:

Anyway: there's little point in carry on discussing this. .

Probably best, the adults are here now.

Eventhough I like the improvement to tackling, I think tackles from behind are way too strong at the moment. Currently players can freely tackle from behind, often winning the ball, while this should be something very hard to do and with a high risk of getting booked. For example: I've played half a season and 2 times my striker, who was going for a 1 on 1 in the box, got tackled from behind to the extent that he had to go off injured. No penalty rewarded whatsoever. :( I know this is anecdotal, but still I think it supports my point.

So, it's not 'broken' then, is it? :rolleyes:

I don't know how else to explain this to you. Just because you have not seen a problem, or a problem doesn't affect you team doesn't mean there isn't a problem. The tax issue is a perfect example. It didn't exist for everyone, so by your logic is isn't 'broken'. You're suggesting that unless a bug affects everyone, it's not a problem, which isn't the case. If you didn't play with wingers hugging the touchline, you wouldn't experience the issue there. I could go on but there's really no point. If you think the bugs are not there, being made up and in people heads then fine, keep that to yourself and let SI determine whether there are genuine bugs in the game.

Moving on...

1 thing that really gets me with keepers, if say there's a pass in to the box, and it's going a bit sideways, will the keeper just follow behind the ball, whilst the striker just gets on the end of it, walks it past him, and scores, happens at least once a game, never happens in real life.

. The tax issue is a perfect example. It didn't exist for everyone, so by your logic is isn't 'broken'. ...

No, that's not my logic at all.

The tax issue was clearly a genuine one as it affected ALL relevant users. Obviously, it's not going to affect your game if you're managing in a league or country where tax isn't an issue in the first place. But for the users where this bug had an affect, they were all, er, affected, as it was, er, a bug.

#NotRocketScience. :p

Your just not getting it are you MacZidane?

Why do you think there is a bugs forum on this site? and why do you think the SI guys are always asking for PKM's?

It is because there are certain things that happen in the game to maybe a small bunch of the player base,it was not spotted in testing and they can not reproduce it so they need to have a look at players save that are having the problem.

Lots of BUGS have been sorted in FM and CM in this way.

ItsNotRocketScience.

I don't like the latest patch. i have a good team and i was doing well in the league, but after the patch it has gone mental. Now my players are scoring goals like never before. last seven games with this new patch my team scored 27 goals and conceded 10. I'm using attacking tactic but come on!!! That is 3,8 goals per match scored by my team only. That wasn't the thing triggered me to complain here. Last drop of madness is the match i'm playing right now. Half time score my team 6 vs. opponent 2 .. no injuries nor sending offs. AND FOR THIS MATCH I'M PLAYING WITH MY SUBSTITUTES (because of coming euroleague match). Please fix this latest patch. It's not fun anymore. Prior to this patch seven games scored 12 and conceded 8.

In regards to injuries:

They haven't been touched so i've been told but something has changed which has taken them way beyond realistic levels. Now, it may very well be the fact that pressing has been fixed (still needs big improvements through the middle imo), however they aren't just occurring for my team but for every team all around the world. Messi? Out for 5 weeks, Thiago - 3 months, Götze - 4 months, Rooney - 2 months (all at various stages of the game). So does this mean that all the teams around the world are facing up against high pressing and tough tackling teams? Now it isn't happening for everyone but it seems to suggest then that in some (quite a few) of peoples saves, teams must be playing exactly the same kind of tactics then if thats the case (pressing being the cause)?

It's either that or it would be a suggestion to tone down the effect on injuries pressing has because it shouldn't be leading to players all across the world getting injured for long periods no matter what their training set up is or tactics they play, right now it isn't realistic at all

For what it's worth i've also seen training ground injuries increase from what it was in 13.1.2

How about the ai teams? My team is still ok with about 4-8 injuries at all time but some ai teams in premier division are getting 15+ injuries.

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about with centre-halves, for me since the update...

[video=youtube;Q-83JmxeHTY]

It's such a basic defensive play. He's there ahead of the striker, all he needs to do is hit it back to the keeper. Instead he does the irritating little slow down, and then again when the striker dispossesses him. This is happening frequently for me. Just no proper reactions to straightforward defensive tasks.

Really hoping the strikers constantly dispossessing the last defender rubbish from FM12 hasn't found its way back in.

Watching a match on full with vertical scrolling I have to say is highly impressive. An amazing piece of coding. Easily my favorite FM. The best thing about this year is the fantastic tactical battles throughout the 90 minutes. When this ME gets patched again to iron out some non game breaking bugs it will be incredible.

So in MacZidanes world the goalkeeper bug that I have posted proof of isn't a bug as it doesn't affect everyone. Good to know.

I'll answer again as over-zealous moderation got rid of the last one.

That one you posted will invariably be a bug, yes. as you, as the manager, have no control over that happening. More of a graphical glitch really. That probably would happen to everyone eventually, depending on what way they view the game.

MacZidane, please shut up. It's hard enough trying to spot real issues without you automatically shooting down everything people say.

People, please use the bugs forum and upload PKMs so SI can see what the issues you're experiencing are, thanks.

I'm finding that about 3-5 times in a season my keeper will chase a ball out of the box either to the right or left side of the pitch and hoof it into the middle of the pitch in our own half straight to the opposition palyer for them just to kick it into the back of the net. Anyone else getting this?

What have you done to my precious game? Pre-patch was the best simulation of the real sport I've ever played and that is going back to Championship Manager 2.

Look at the league table this season after the patch:

eQwRe.jpg

Manchester City have scored 41 goals in 13 matches! They win every game with absolute ease, none of the upsets or tight matches or last minute winners from before that perfectly mirrored the real thing.

Here is my league table from the previous season to show the contrast:

MwCvt.jpg

This was so much more satisfying, where the league was tight and even the top teams had to work hard for every victory. Man City have almost accrued half their points total from the previous season just in the first 13 matches!

Here is a typical round of results in my game:

paawi.jpg

The team with the better players wins every time and by a clear margin in most cases, where are the tight end to end matches from before the patch? Oh they are gone because most matches the weaker team barely managed a shot on goal!

Please someone tell me there is a way I can revert the changes this patch has implemented so I can go back to enjoying the game?

I don't want to make any rash assumptions based on 1 match, but I think defensive tactics may still be slightly overpowered.

I was playing against Bayern Munich in the CL and Darren Fletcher picked up his 2nd yellow card only 20 minutes into the match. I had a 1 goal lead in the tie, so I brought in an extra defender and set mentality to "defensive" hoping to just ride the game out. I went on to score 3 goals in the next 18 minutes!! WTF??

I'm finding that about 3-5 times in a season my keeper will chase a ball out of the box either to the right or left side of the pitch and hoof it into the middle of the pitch in our own half straight to the opposition palyer for them just to kick it into the back of the net. Anyone else getting this?

Yeah im getting this!!

I don't want to make any rash assumptions based on 1 match, but I think defensive tactics may still be slightly overpowered.

I was playing against Bayern Munich in the CL and Darren Fletcher picked up his 2nd yellow card only 20 minutes into the match. I had a 1 goal lead in the tie, so I brought in an extra defender and set mentality to "defensive" hoping to just ride the game out. I went on to score 3 goals in the next 18 minutes!! WTF??

As you say it is one match, if that happened every time it would be a major issue, happening once (if it is only once) may not be a problem.

My speculative opinion is that they saw you had 10 men, they saw you were camped back, and went mental trying to score, pushing up too much, and you punished them on the break. You may questioned why it happened 3 times, but each time it happened only strenghtend their need to score!

I see all these posts about tactics (only read a few) and i agree with some and i don't agree with others. What my problem is not that certain tactics don't work for my team, it's that before the patch my tactics were amazing and pre patch they were average at best. I think the frustration with a lot of people is the fact that they have to mess around with their tactics again because of the patch. Since the patch i have played 5 games on my main save but because it effected my tactics so much i stopped playing it because i want to wait till the match engine is good enough that i know there wont be any changes. Until then for all we know every patch could make the match engine play our tactics differently. That's dissappointing if you ask me. Personally i have gone back to FM12 and until i find that my tactic in my main save works again or that there will be no more match engine updates i will not be going back to FM13 because i don't want to have to keep playng my game around the match engine

As said frequently, balanced and sound tactics do not need changing with each patch. Tactics that, intentionally or accidentally, rely on ME flaws to work well will need changing as the flaws are eliminated.

The final patch is normally around March if you truly don't want to change tactics after patches.

That's a great idea. Not sure if i could do it through steam tho?

I uninstalled the game in windows and then deleted the fm folder from the steam directory to be sure all the files are gone, now I've kicked off the download in steam. Will have to see if it downloads the update as part of the game or whether it will download pre-patch files.

Thanks for ruining my product SI, and no one will even comment on my complaints regarding the changes to the ME and the effects on match results! Do you even take that into account when you make these changes? Or do you just think well it looks good in 3d mode now so we'll ship it! I don't care if it's more solid tactically if the game plays nothing like real life.

So is there any way I can remove this patch? Would appreciate help from an SI rep.

I'm trying to reinstall the game and then play offline to avoid any updates but not sure if that will work

dont think so. im pretty sure all new installs come prepatched

Archived