*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

As someone who hasn't purchased FM13 after playing the demo, I would be interested to hear any feedback specifically about the new Transfer Deadline Day, as nobody's really said much at all.

How are people finding it, on the whole? Does it add some tension to trying to make those last-minute signings? Do AI-controlled teams appear to recognise the importance of the deadline, and change their demands/transfer strategy accordingly? Have you seen particularly good/bad transfers on the day that you can show examples of?

And, coupled with that, how is the AI's squad building in general in the longer-term? Is there a noticeable improvement over FM12?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

55,000 players

Selecting the save graduated 24 leagues, and q all South America playable with lower leagues and everything, mexico too.

Italia, germany, spain and england first divisions.

And some see only first leagues, large database customized with all of south america.

My pc is 5 stars a i5 2.4g ghz 8gb of ram, and in 2012 ran smoothly fm

My aim is to play well to Brazilian league, and go to europe some great country.

And I like to hire the players on my team, why boto leagues sometimes extras like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Arab Emirates, and see just some of europe type I like turkey, greece, ai totaling 24 leagues, why playable even alloy of about 15

Does anyone have their wingers cut inside, go by the touch line and attempt to score from an extremely tight angle instead of passing the ball across the goal for a tap in?

Yes, many people do. Hopefully it gets sorted with the update.

Does anyone have their wingers cut inside, go by the touch line and attempt to score from an extremely tight angle instead of passing the ball across the goal for a tap in?

Yep, I get that all the time, and that isn't an exaggeration.

I've noticed that the match engine has changed for the worse since the release day patch. It was pretty good in the updated Beta, but something's gone askew since. Defenders aren't defending, players in general aren't closing down properly, and if they do close-down, they don't make a tackle.

And I'm seeing, overall, very repetitive scenarios such as the quote above, but also players just stopping the ball on the line before it goes out of play then holding it up before making a pass, wingers/wide midfielders putting in an average of 2 crosses per match, and the general flow of the play being very, very predictable. Each match is the same as the last. You could say it's gone the way of "this will happen 3 times, that will happen 2 times" etc.

No idea what's happened. The rest of the game is BRILLIANT. It's just the match engine that needs to be sorted. As it stands, I'm playing now FM12 until the fixes come out, and that's not a bitchy remark by the way - I'm confident they will get fixed by Christmas. It's just a matter of me going back to something I feel comfortable with. :)

Yep, I get that all the time, and that isn't an exaggeration.

I've noticed that the match engine has changed for the worse since the release day patch. It was pretty good in the updated Beta, but something's gone askew since. Defenders aren't defending, players in general aren't closing down properly, and if they do close-down, they don't make a tackle.

And I'm seeing, overall, very repetitive scenarios such as the quote above, but also players just stopping the ball on the line before it goes out of play then holding it up before making a pass, wingers/wide midfielders putting in an average of 2 crosses per match, and the general flow of the play being very, very predictable. Each match is the same as the last. You could say it's gone the way of "this will happen 3 times, that will happen 2 times" etc.

No idea what's happened. The rest of the game is BRILLIANT. It's just the match engine that needs to be sorted. As it stands, I'm playing now FM12 until the fixes come out, and that's not a bitchy remark by the way - I'm confident they will get fixed by Christmas. It's just a matter of me going back to something I feel comfortable with. :)

I agree with you and I increasingly find myself wanting to do this. I'll definitely check out the FM 13 after the update in a week, though, and see if my mind is changed. I do like that I can now find online games to play with others online...but what's the point with this engine?

And I don't mean this to be condescending. It obvious that this ME is better than that of FM 12. It acts in a more realistic way. But it also means that more work is needed to refine it than ever before, and it's not there yet. I think I'll play FM 12 for the time being because I'm seeing for the experience to be complex and varied, but still balanced. I believe the FM 13 engine is definitely more realistic and more nuanced, but at the moment it's not more complex, it's not more varied, and it's not more balanced.

• SI Staff
Are there plans to improve the movement off the ball on the pitch? It feels like playing ice hockey. It is more visible when playing in 2D Classic mode.

The ball rotation in 2D classic will be fixed next update. This is only an issue in 2D classic and its a cosmetic one.

The DoF feature is great but it needs a lot of work.

With regard to the issue of whether he ever asks for more than your minimum value, this needs to be fixed. I think I have seen him ask for more on occassion, but it doesn't feel like often enough.

It would be cool if, for example, you were a leading EPL team, and you added a pretty competent player to the unwanted list on transfer deadline day, with a minimum value of £2 million. As deadline day progressed you should hear about the DoF trying to flog your guy for £10 million, and as the deadline approaches perhaps you should get news items of rumours of how your club would accept more like 4 or 5 million. If no-one is interested still, then at 1130pm you might see the DoF has sold the player at £2 million. Of course if he is worth more than that, then perhaps clubs could bid more for him earlier in the day.

Although I love deadline day and DoF in theory, I very strongly feel that deadline day doesn't offer half of the things we were told it would (inflated transfer fees anyone?) and that DoF needs a lot more work.

The loading of matches to see stats is possibly one of the worst editions to any FM game that I care to remember. It needs to go back to how it was. I've found myself not bothering to look anymore as this game takes long enough already without adding to it.

Why was it changed? I find it hard to believe that somebody actually got paid, and then chose to do that, rather than being forced into it because of some sort of confliction in the game.

Too many good players are not signing contracts with their clubs and it's too easy to get players for free. I mean good players. It should be toned down. I don't say it shouldn't happen but in FM12 when managing top club there weren't any players good enough but in FM13 even as top club you can get players for free that are improving your squad,not just backup players.

The loading of matches to see stats is possibly one of the worst editions to any FM game that I care to remember. It needs to go back to how it was. I've found myself not bothering to look anymore as this game takes long enough already without adding to it.

Why was it changed? I find it hard to believe that somebody actually got paid, and then chose to do that, rather than being forced into it because of some sort of confliction in the game.

If you look you'll see how it happened explained and also that they're looking to provide a viable alternative if it can't be changed back, apparently simply reversing it isn't atall simple.

from the third page of the thread, post 245 iirc.

This is not a feature we've added, but has been caused by some of the under the hood changes made to the Match screen this version. All I can say for the time being is that we are aware that this is an inconvenience to some, and would have addressed this by now if it was a simple thing to change, but unfortunately it's not.

If you look you'll see how it happened explained and also that they're looking to provide a viable alternative if it can't be changed back, apparently simply reversing it isn't atall simple.

What about hovering the mouse over results in the fixture screen to get the match stats?

What about hovering the mouse over results in the fixture screen to get the match stats?

Click on the tick to the left of the fixture you want to view, then click on the tick to the left of your next fixture to deselect it. Your players, they're ratings, goalscorers, cards issued and scoreline will be displayed on the right side of the screen

Personally speaking... I know there are fixes coming for the ME..

I'd love to hear how everyone's finding the rest of the game ... the ME has taken dozens of pages in this thread by now.

ME aside, I love the new UI. It's intuitive and I really like the plain, solid look and feel. I have a 2009 iMac, and it struggles a little with processing and the matches, but I've found saving and moving about not too much of a problem.

Get the ME and training fixed and I'll be happy.

ME aside, I love the new UI. It's intuitive and I really like the plain, solid look and feel. I have a 2009 iMac, and it struggles a little with processing and the matches, but I've found saving and moving about not too much of a problem.

Get the ME and training fixed and I'll be happy.

Whats wrong with Training?

Click on the tick to the left of the fixture you want to view, then click on the tick to the left of your next fixture to deselect it. Your players, they're ratings, goalscorers, cards issued and scoreline will be displayed on the right side of the screen

It's not exactly the same though, is it?

Anyway, rather than clicking on the two ticks you can just click on the line, just to the right of the club's name (on the fixture list screen). Saves you about half a second :)

It's not exactly the same though, is it?

Anyway, rather than clicking on the two ticks you can just click on the line, just to the right of the club's name (on the fixture list screen). Saves you about half a second :)

Well no it's not the same but at least it's a workaround of sorts for now. Good spot with just clicking on the line rather than the tick, those clicks can mount up fast if you want to check several fixtures.:thup:

Yes I have now experienced many a post/bar being hit and wingers shooting from bizarre angles. I have also experienced my striker clean through on goal pass it back to a central midfielder! and although it does happen IRL at 2-2 away at Arsenal and Arsenal shot hits the post, hits my keeper on the back of the head and rolls in. I lose 3-2..... Poor defending seems to be the main issue although I think poor defending has always been the issue in FM. Also correct me if I am wrong but yet again strikers do no defending at all, if you play wide attacking midfielders they still don't track back (same issue as 2012) and the same with a central attacking midfielder. On the plus side central midfielders seem to track back better than 2012 so that is a plus but it is frustrating as any player in an advanced role doesn't seem to have any defensive responsibilities. I play classic...

Also is there plase anyway to look at the Match Stats in match without it covering the whole screen and I don't mean by having a split window? The old FM12 Assistant Manager drop down window was pefrect as it allowed you to check things without blocking view of the match, the interface is very difficult and a hovering mouse icon often clicks the wrong thing.

Also as a classic tactic manager you used to be able to go to tactic screen in match scroll the dropdown menu and change a players setting like hold up ball or runs from deep. That you now you can't do without going to the players individual instructions which would be nice to have back.

I think FM (the excellent SI staff) need to be careful with the balance between tactics/reality and the fact it is actually a computer game that has always been fun and likely to steal an unhealthy number of days from you. I remember starting a game on a Sunday afternoon, looking at the clock and it was Monday evening. Now that was addictive. The chance to manage your fav/local team, sign big players or wonderkids and lead them to glory with record breaking runs may of been a bit unrealistic but it has always been a highly addictive format that works.

No doubt FM2013 is more detailed and realistic than ever but its starting to become like a flight simulator game. I never thought I would say this but its becoming too real. Looking at feedback from these pages many people don't actually want to become a full time manager on a computer and watch full games in detail looking for weak spots and constantly changing tactics accordingly. I know we all do in moderation and make the odd tweak but it seems the fun is being sucked out. Frustration is setting in.

The most realistic football game ever has become so real that its actually becoming a fulltime job. I'll start looking like Harry Redknapp soon. After a decade of playing FM my enjoyment is declining as I'm apparently expected to (according to which half you listen to on here) either wait for the Holy Grail of updates or alter my tactics elaborately before each game. Like a real manager! I'm sorry but the moment you have to do a SWOT analysis and actually scout other teams for real on a computer game is the day I start looking for something else to do on a Sunday afternoon.

I've got a funny feeling you will have to posses your full range of UEFA coaching licenses and pass a medical before you purchase FM2014.

Yes, but their are a sizable few like myself that enjoy the realism, like the challenge. What about us?

'

Surely FMC is there to cater for people like yourself who have'nt the time or inclination to play so deep.

As someone who hasn't purchased FM13 after playing the demo, I would be interested to hear any feedback specifically about the new Transfer Deadline Day, as nobody's really said much at all.

How are people finding it, on the whole? Does it add some tension to trying to make those last-minute signings? Do AI-controlled teams appear to recognise the importance of the deadline, and change their demands/transfer strategy accordingly? Have you seen particularly good/bad transfers on the day that you can show examples of?

And, coupled with that, how is the AI's squad building in general in the longer-term? Is there a noticeable improvement over FM12?

Not usually a fan of bumping my own post, but I really would be interested to hear some opinions on these, at least as a break from the ME diatribes. Anyone?

The ball rotation in 2D classic will be fixed next update. This is only an issue in 2D classic and its a cosmetic one.

No, it's perfectly fine in the 2D engine as you point out, where it's indeed only a cosmetic issue. The problem is in the movement of the ball in the 3D engine. It moves like a hockey puck. It never decelerates.

No, it's perfectly fine in the 2D engine as you point out, where it's indeed only a cosmetic issue. The problem is in the movement of the ball in the 3D engine. It moves like a hockey puck. It never decelerates.

This doesn't affect everyone and is under investigation.

Yes, but their are a sizable few like myself that enjoy the realism, like the challenge. What about us?

'

Surely FMC is there to cater for people like yourself who have'nt the time or inclination to play so deep.

Yup and it does so brilliantly, they actually have managed to cater for both camps.

• SI Staff

We disagree the ball decelerates too slowly, apart from rare examples where the spin is slightly buggy after bounces which we will address in some future update. In fact we believe it decelerated too quickly when rolling in the FM2012 ME.

In terms of 2D Classic vs 2D vs 3D - all use the same match and physics engine, but the ball in 2D classic is depicted slightly differently and there is a bug with the rotation depicted not matching the rotation in the engine. This is being addressed next update.

Quick question for PaulC if he's still around. Post #3063 in this this thread re a goal that wasn't allowed, my text was:

Would be interesting to know precisely how the code should handle this instance. In real life, we've seen Roy Carroll moments where Pedro Mendes' strike was way over the line, but it wasn't given. Is the code intelligent enough to throw in occasional refereeing errors, or should all goals be given as goals? Similarly, are duff offside and penalty decisions coded in? I can't recollect many posts about debatable refereeing decisions in any iteration of CM/FM.

Can you confirm please as I think it would be interesting to know if human error is present in the officials, as well as the players.

Transfer deadline day:

I love it, It adds a new dimension to preseason and yes it does add some tension, although admittedly, not as much as i'd hoped. Nevertheless, I love being able to tell myself 'oh I'll hold off on accepting this bid now, I'll wait till deadline day and tout him out then'. I'm playing as Leeds currently and my team were desperate for a striker, I only really had one target in mind so I decided to risk it and wait till deadline day to pounce, as previous bids were shot down. Before the day came I had been on a full on praise and admire campaign with the player, and eventually managed to steal him away from much bigger clubs for much cheaper than I'd thought after a lot of back and forth on deadline day.. I was ecstatic.

Most transfers seem sensible enough, for instance I've not seen man city go out and just buy everyone anymore, they seem to have a bit more sense about it. Although there has been a few annoying occurrences were , for example, man utd were interested in buying ex players of theirs, just didn't seem right with me, but I guess why not.

On the whole, a brilliant addition imo, and you can always opt out of the deadline day stuff as well , which is nice.

Quick question for PaulC if he's still around. Post #3063 in this this thread re a goal that wasn't allowed, my text was:

Would be interesting to know precisely how the code should handle this instance. In real life, we've seen Roy Carroll moments where Pedro Mendes' strike was way over the line, but it wasn't given. Is the code intelligent enough to throw in occasional refereeing errors, or should all goals be given as goals? Similarly, are duff offside and penalty decisions coded in? I can't recollect many posts about debatable refereeing decisions in any iteration of CM/FM.

Can you confirm please as I think it would be interesting to know if human error is present in the officials, as well as the players.

In fm12 there were plenty of dubious decisions made, usually coupled with comments about it in the press the next day etc. I assume they are still in this version. That was specifically the offside and penalty decisions part though, never personally seen a goal not given.

• SI Staff

Ok, the screenshot where the keeper carries the ball over the line: Its a visual misrepresentation of where the ball is and a bug. The ball isn't really over the line inside the engine. Its related to mapping the ball to the keeper's hands in 3D, and has been present pretty much since we introduced 3D. It's probably going to get fixed but not next update, for which I apologise but it requires some serious reworking of 3D code.

Ok, the screenshot where the keeper carries the ball over the line: Its a visual misrepresentation of where the ball is and a bug. The ball isn't really over the line inside the engine. Its related to mapping the ball to the keeper's hands in 3D, and has been present pretty much since we introduced 3D. It's probably going to get fixed but not next update, for which I apologise but it requires some serious reworking of 3D code.

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't even notice this as I only play with key highlights, and it sounds like it isn't a bug which means a goal that should be allowed isn't being allowed.

It would be nice in subscriptions to have the option of beeing informed only about big transfers. I have 4 leagues loaded and I keep only transfers ticked to see who goes where. But I'm managing in South America and I'm not really interested when Stoke buys an anonimus french guy from french second division, I 'd like to be informed about Falcao going to Chelsea or transfers of that magnitude. Don't know if it's possible?

It would be nice in subscriptions to have the option of beeing informed only about big transfers. I have 4 leagues loaded and I keep only transfers ticked to see who goes where. But I'm managing in South America and I'm not really interested when Stoke buys an anonimus french guy from french second division, I 'd like to be informed about Falcao going to Chelsea or transfers of that magnitude. Don't know if it's possible?

perhaps a filter, where you only get news for transfers above a certain fee.

I actually spent several minutes yesteday looking for this option. I guess it doesn't exist. Would be very nice to be able to set a minimum value for transfer news.

One aspect that I think FM12 modeled better than FM13 is the transcendency of Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. IN FM12, both players were as dominant as they are in RL, averaging over a goal a game, whether playing for me or for the AI. However, in FM13, both are barely averaging 0.5 goals per game while playing for the AI (I have yet to use either player personally). Their attributes appear to be about the same as they were in FM12, so I'm assuming this is an issue with the FM13 engine dealing with outliers such as them.

just wondering and havent found it yet, so dont shoot me if its already been asked or answered.

But the "automatically continue-ing feature", does that work with your games?

I used it all the time, so i could watch tv in between matchday's. In FM13 i got this feature active, but i still have to click in between match days!!

We disagree the ball decelerates too slowly, apart from rare examples where the spin is slightly buggy after bounces which we will address in some future update. In fact we believe it decelerated too quickly when rolling in the FM2012 ME.

In terms of 2D Classic vs 2D vs 3D - all use the same match and physics engine, but the ball in 2D classic is depicted slightly differently and there is a bug with the rotation depicted not matching the rotation in the engine. This is being addressed next update.

Well that's just amazing. I can't believe how quickly we've hit an impasse. "We disagree that the ball decelerates too slowly." I didn't say too slowly, I said not decelerating at all. It's not a hyperbole, it moves like a hockey puck.

I suppose fixing this would probably mean a revamp of the entire engine, which you're understandably not willing to commit to. So it's sweep under the rug/head in the sand time.

You may as well be saying: "We disagree that the sky is blue, we disagree that the Pope is Catholic, up is down, left is right" Sorry, there's just nothing to go on from there. If you think 'that' is a realistic depiction of football, then it's time for me to seek a second opinion, so to speak.

Adiou.

Archived