FM as a parent

I have 3 kids in the ages 0, 1 and 4.. I still manage to play every night (if I want to..) .. having kids is all about routines.. Do that and both you and your kid will be happier :)

Should mention that I've been plessed with kids that love sleeping so all of them have generally slept throughout the night right from birth :) - if thats genetic or because of our "routine"-based way of raising them, I dont know, but that how it is.. :)

I would recommend using LogMeIn or some other smartphone/tablet app that you can use to control your computer while not actually being AT your computer. It really comes in handy when you are at the park or the beach and your kid is off playing on his own and you can still get in some FM like you were sitting at home.

Doesn't work that well for playing out matches unless you are in 2D mode or text only, but is great for getting the in-between bits out of the way.

I would recommend using LogMeIn or some other smartphone/tablet app that you can use to control your computer while not actually being AT your computer. It really comes in handy when you are at the park or the beach and your kid is off playing on his own and you can still get in some FM like you were sitting at home.

Doesn't work that well for playing out matches unless you are in 2D mode or text only, but is great for getting the in-between bits out of the way.

Now thats dedication!

I have 3 kids ages 9, 8 and 5 months old and still manage to get a lot of FM time in and spend plenty of time with the daughters.

Should mention that I've been plessed with kids that love sleeping so all of them have generally slept throughout the night right from birth :) - if thats genetic or because of our "routine"-based way of raising them, I dont know, but that how it is.. :)

Mine are the same, so we are either related (god help you :D) or we are both just really lucky with getting them in routines early.

I have a 2 year old daughter, and while my play time has dropped I still have the chance to play every night, and a bit on the weekend as well. After my daughter has gone to bed it is adult time, so I can play then if I choose, and on the weekends my partner and I try and give each other some "Me" time as well so we can do what we want. It is definitely possible, just don't expect to have the same amount of play time.

I actually find it easier to play FM than I do any other game.

No need to put my headset on and I really do not have to be focused on the game at all times,after we have all eaten I normally switch FM on and while playing the game will chat with the wife and play with my 2 year old son,he also comes to watch the football match sometimes.

I also only played FM when he was first born,I would take the late feed so stayed up playing FM till around 11:30pm and again no need for the headset so I could hear him if he woke up a bit early,playing an FPS game with the headset on I would never have heard him ....but I would have for sure heard the Mrs ;)

I have 3 kids ages 9, 8 and 5 months old and still manage to get a lot of FM time in and spend plenty of time with the daughters.

Mine are the same, so we are either related (god help you :D) or we are both just really lucky with getting them in routines early.

I see your 3 kids and raise you to 4. (Aged 8, 6, 2 and 5 months). Also get plenty of FM time due to a blinding routine!! Easy when you know how. :)

Id say I could easily get 3 hours a day. More at weekends. The Mrs is always playing The Sims Freeplay so she could NEVER EVER complain about FM. In fact, she is always on the bloody thing....she gets more excited about a Sims update than I do about a new FM game.

It's good to hear that I'll still be able to get some fm in especially with fm13 looking like it'll be quality

For sure,just forget about those all nighters that most of us have done in the past :)

I would imagine I get around 3 hours a night maybe a bit more and on weekends maybe 4 or 5 hours a night and maybe an hour during the day.

You will find that both you are your wife also want a bit of down time to do what you enjoy when the kids in bed,right now my wife has her headset on watching TV and I just finished a go on Crysis 2.(taking a break from FM until FM13 releases)

We found it a bit difficult to start with but you soon find a routine to work too,hell you would go crazy if all you did was what you had to do,everyone deserves some down time :)

Have 5 children, 10, 8, 4, 2 & 2 Months. For the past 7-8 years I have the same routine. Up between 4:45 -5:00 am. Put on coffee and play until 6:30. Then the kids wife start rising from the night and my day begins.

Found this works best as then I spend eveninings with kids then hang out with wife and listen to her problems and troubles while watching one of her Shows. The whole time plotting my tactics and line ups for the next morning.

Beats the old days of my wife harrassing me for being on the computer during the day or night instead of helping with kids or being with her.

Up between 4:45 -5:00 am.

Looks like you and I stumbled upon the same trick! I figured this out when my only son started sleeping through the night. Wife was complaining about not spending the evenings with her. So I just said screw it and started waking up 2 hours before her and my son. 2 cups of coffee a day and it works out great!

As the Football Manager Stole My Life book will show you, I put in a good shift of FM at the hospital after my child was born...

I still manage a couple of hours in the evening when the youngin is put to bed.

Was going to try this but always ran extremely slowly on my Tablet. If I could find a way to make it run quickly or quick enough to make a match bearable it would be the greatest day of my life :D

Ha all depends on many many many many factors.

Firstly congrats on expectancy of your first child. Me & the missus had our first child last November and I can tell you nearly a 1 year on its seriously restricted my FM time.

Some fella's are not very hands on with there kids and live the life of a king while there Missus does there tea, washing, feeds the kids, puts the kids to bed. While they sit around playing football manager and call of duty.....also without a job lol. I know this as I play online with far to many men who are like that.

IMO im lucky as my missus is an utter work horse. If she wasnt i'd have had to give up my Norwich City season ticket. Its still give and take though. Before the baby I was player/manager (former captain) of my local football side, had a norwich season ticket, played football (inc training) multiple times a week, worked a monday to friday 7am to 4pm job and still had time for Football Manager and COD etc....

Now the babys here its all give and take. Ive given up my football club, the regular nights out etc....but can keep my Season Ticket etc....just take it as it comes. Everyones different. I still get an odd hour or 2 here and there in the evenings when I get the chance. Just harder. Im very OCD when it comes to looking for players, setting up training and tactics etc....and its hard focusing when suddenly a bottle needs doing etc. I usually get my odd hour or 2 when the lil mans asleep and the missus is watching the soaps.

Its a life changing experience whats about to happen to you but IMO I wouldnt change it for the world and I certainly wouldnt change how my life is to be one of these laze about dads whose priority in life is COD and stuff first while the missus does everything else. I certainly wouldn't have a missus or a child anymore if that was the case as she'd be long gone. lol!

I've got an 18-month old and very rarely get chance to play at home.

Weekends are a write-off. Nighttimes I'm usually too tired, or would rather just relax on the sofa.

Most of my FMing is done at work nowadays (15 hours per week) rather than at home (2 hours per week).

Thanks Boss...

I've got a 3 year old with another due any day - my FM times are definitely a lot less than they used to be, I mostly play on nights when the wife is watching TV that I can't stand.

In fact, kids generally seem to be less of the factor here, it's more wives that cut down on FM time once the family starts growing!

Hello all,

My son is 7 month old, love him to bits and wouldnt change it for the world. I do miss the old days (7-9 years ago) when i worked at sainsburys and any day off or late night would involve some heavy FM/CM play! Cant do that nowadays- I work 8-16:30 and spend the evening with my son and my wife until he goes to bed around 8pm. I try to interact with my wife each evening so as not to ignore her. Its tricky finding the time but if you play it right it can work.

When I play I either wait until my wife has gone to bed 9-930pm and sneak in an hour or so then (tbh even I struggle to stay awake past 11 nowadays!) or (Ive yet to test) I would like to do as the guy a few posts back does wake up an hour or so early to play. My concern tho is that as my son doesnt always go through the night there will be mornings where they would wake up and most likely say wtf!?? I would then look a bit silly playing FM at 5 in the morning! I guarantee I would be called sad!

As soon as my son goes through the night this will not be a problem at all though.

I was actually expecting to hear a sarcastic comment about how crap I am (at FM and showing some affection!) but when I ws playing it the other weekend for a few hours I just heard "oh...you havent played that in a while have you? " I thought Result! shes not fussed!

I think she has understood now though that I havent switched on my Xbox for over 3 months which I used to play both FM and that on a regular basis and since I dont have time for that maybe understands that its good to get a bit of FM time in..

I cant wait to get my son involved with FM when hes 11 or 12 y.o playing against him and hopefully putting my FM experience to some use!!

To be honest though if I made extra effort I could get 2-3 hours a week in tho. Also I have been told that I can bring my laptop in to work and "do what I want! in my one hour lunch Ive only been at my new job 3 weeks so will not risk this for another month at least!

In fact, kids generally seem to be less of the factor here, it's more wives that cut down on FM time once the family starts growing!

This is very true,my kid as I suspect with many is in his bed between 8pm and 8:30pm,now if your wife wants to cuddle up on the couch until bedtime then that would very much cut down your chances of being able to play FM.

Me and the wife enjoy our downtime,the wife will watch her TV programmes and I will play FM(or any other game).

I don't buy many games these days and stopped playing on-line games when my kid was born as I would stay up till the early hours playing and chatting on the headset,my wife always says that it is good I play FM as everyone needs something they like to relax and it is much better that than with maybe some dads going of to the pub at nights or at the weekends,hell I even gave up my subscription to the live football as some weekends there was maybe 4 or 5 matches I would watch but I now spend that time going out with the wife and kid and catch it all on MoTD.

OP you will get into a routine and it really depends how much you are wanting to play FM,you will have to sacrifice some things like most new Dads do but like I said earlier in the thread everyone deserves something just for themselves,some people go to the football matches or maybe they enjoy going to play snooker,for me it is playing games on the PC(mostly FM).

I suggest you combine your FM playing with another activity at the same time. It's easy to work out while playing. I often used to play while cooking dinner.

You only get so much time on this earth, so make sure you give the important things in life like FM as much time as possible ;)

I've got an 18-month old and very rarely get chance to play at home.

Weekends are a write-off. Nighttimes I'm usually too tired, or would rather just relax on the sofa.

Most of my FMing is done at work nowadays (15 hours per week) rather than at home (2 hours per week).

Thanks Boss...

I want your job!

Football Manager is a game that's pretty compatible with parenting because if you're not in the middle of a match you can easily just leave the game if you need to and even in a match all you need to do is hit the space bar and you can run off if you need to. You can pretty much play it at your pace and it's not too off-putting to have to leave it for a bit, plus there's no important dialogue or anything you need to hear.

My baby is due in May, so getting as much FM time in as I can.

My wife hates me playing the game already. She always takes the **** and says 'Having fun with your little cartoon men?" - Drives me mad!!!!

My first is due in April (due date is my birthday!), will also have to try and get in as many season as possible. Hopefully I'll still be able to play when the baby is asleep, especially during the one week paternity leave!

My first is due in April (due date is my birthday!), will also have to try and get in as many season as possible. Hopefully I'll still be able to play when the baby is asleep, especially during the one week paternity leave!

Congratulations buddy.

1 Week! that sucks. I thought we could get 2 weeks by law. I think I get 2 weeks, but still not sure if it's full pay or not.

My wife will be 8 weeks on Sunday. I can't wait until the 12 week scan so we know everything is OK etc.

I have one kid, he is 14. Pretty challenging to squeeze out time to play FM, as my work does consume my after-office hours sometimes too. Normally, I try to play at least an hour everyday, slightly more during weekends if possible.

The good thing about FM is that it is an 'adult' game - I find myself playing it only, whereas the other games (e.g. PS3 games) have been put off for a very long time, but I don't feel anything. I foresee myself playing FM for a long time to come.

Congratulations buddy.

1 Week! that sucks. I thought we could get 2 weeks by law. I think I get 2 weeks, but still not sure if it's full pay or not.

My wife will be 8 weeks on Sunday. I can't wait until the 12 week scan so we know everything is OK etc.

I think it's a week, I should ask around in the office as 4 other blokes on my floor have had kids this year!

We had our 12 week scan on Monday and everything was fine, the wife even teared up a little when she saw the heart beat!

Like g00n did above (read your bit in the FM stole my life book by the way), can maybe get in some game time at the hospital when she's sleeping.

Herter has hit the nail on the head...it's all about routine to be honest. Although I'v tried playing the latest FM's and if you dont mind a season taking 2 or 3 weeks then go for it, otherwise wait for FM Classic or just watch games on commentary.

When your kid is a newborn, after a while you'll realise that they're mostly sleeping - as indeed are you because you'r so shattered from lack of sleep and the stress of a monumental change to your life - but if your partner is doing feeding on demand, then there wont be much you can do, so all you can do is offer moral support and be there at hand... and if you have a laptop with FM loaded then it's entirely co-incidental! hehe

Although be warned, although it wont affect your playing too much during the first 7-8 months or so when the little one starts to communicate more, FM will be a strictly evening hobby - mainly because you'll be wanting to spend your time with your son/daughter :)

Then a few months after that you'll start to bemoan that FM has become 'too complicated' and post about how long it takes to do a season lol

First up: Congratulations!

I've got a 10yr old and 2yr old and still get plenty of time in to play. It might be a stretch for you as you'll have a newborn but after a while you'll find a bit of time.

I'm lucky enough to have a job where I have lots of downtime so I play FM at work (Don't worry, my boss knows!) but I still manage to grab an hour or so after work when the kids are in bed and when the missus is out :)

Just make sure you get your priorities right and don't neglect the wife and you'll be fine.

Was going to try this but always ran extremely slowly on my Tablet. If I could find a way to make it run quickly or quick enough to make a match bearable it would be the greatest day of my life :D

At least on the iPad version of LogMeIn, there are a few options that I noticed made a measurable difference: screen blanking and color mode. Turn screen blanking on and color mode to reduced. If you do that, you should be able to at least watch your match in 2D. I don't think you will ever be able to watch them in 3D though.

Those long nights when the little one doesn't want to sleep :

Load up fm, tell the wife you'll take care of the little one. Move the recliner next to the desk, when the little one wakes up, you nurse the baby in the left arm, play fm with the right arm, you get to play fm, the wife gets a good nights sleep, everyone wins :)

I have a 2 1/2 year old, and still manage a fair bit of fm time. I'm the stay home parent, so if he has his nap I can get an hour or so in then(if housework is done of course)!!! Can't play when he is about as he is very keen to press keys on the keyboard at random. Once he goes to bed in evening also then get couple of hours, wife either has work to do, watching some rubbish on tv or reading a book.

I have 3 kids, all boys, aged 4, 3 and 3 months.

I love 'em to bits and spend loads of time with them.

However, FM (and COD) were in my life before them and remain important to me.

Oldest boy has already taken over the Xbox so I rarely get a look in on that these days BUT....

My PC is also in the hub of the house, the lounge.

So, I can still play plenty of FM whilst watching / playing with the boys (and ducking the wife and her constant pestering).

They're all in bed by 7:30 too, so if I'm not on a late shift, then I get the evening to play FM.

I haven't done a proper 'all-nighter' in years though, I'm 35 and to be honest, though I know I could still hack an all-nighter, I'd bomb out at around 10am the next morning and this is not good with 3 kids to look after...or to try and sleep if wife is covering.

Ultimately, you have to find a way to combine gaming and fatherhood.

I'm just terrified of my boys all wanting FM time when they get a little older and realise how wonderful football is - the eldest is already paying far too much attention to FM for my liking!!

I'm just terrified of my boys all wanting FM time when they get a little older and realise how wonderful football is - the eldest is already paying far too much attention to FM for my liking!!

There's only one solution: get another computer and start a network game with him!

There's only one solution: get another computer and start a network game with him!

Already have my old PC set up and ready for when they're old enough to not want to pull the mouse apart, 'post' alien items into the SD slots, 'bath' the computer because it's dirty or decide that Buzz Lightyear would benefit from flying into the monitor.......from the other side of the room.

Already have my old PC set up and ready for when they're old enough to not want to pull the mouse apart, 'post' alien items into the SD slots, 'bath' the computer because it's dirty or decide that Buzz Lightyear would benefit from flying into the monitor.......from the other side of the room.

Ah, but will said old PC be powerful enough to run whatever version of FM is out when the time comes?

Archived