The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rooney's gone from scoring 40 goals as a lone striker to playing as a central midfielder. That's just so fascinating to me.

As I said in the match thread, it's interesting that Rooney was playing CM today without Hernandez of Welbeck starting. I assumed he was playing CM as a way of shoehorning him into the team.

Loads of lovely pictures and videos on redcafe :cool:

Rio looks like a beast :eek:

Where was Vidic though, don't think I saw him.

Being eaten by Ando? I shall miss all the eating references Anderson allows...:thdn:

So SAF going with 2 passers in CM then? Need to have 3 CB with 2 WBs for that to work in games against decent teams....

I think I said this after the Stoke game but I think Rooney will play in the centre for the rest of the season, and could well start next season playing there also. without us buying a cm in the summer :(

I like Rooney there btw

yeah i'm all for rooney being moved back as long as he stays back and OUT OF KAGAWA'S WAY. he doesn't try as hard (in the bad way) or seem to mess up as much when he plays so deep which can only be a good thing. obviously the priority is still a new top class central midfielder but let's not hold our breaths there.

hopefully zaha is better than I think he is and can come in and provide some balance and quality on the left, otherwise we're stuck with young/welbeck.

Here's a bit of a hypothetical, to see how much Rooney is valued in this thread. Which players in the Premier League would you consider swapping Rooney directly with?

I don't think I would accept anyone except Mata/Hazard, Bale or Yaya.

I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

Not that I think he's the best player, just that we know he works in our system, and how to fit him into certain roles. That's an unknown for the other players.

If I'd have to say someone I agree with Yaya and Bale, I think they'd be fb for us. The others I don't see the reason

I remember, after Phil Jones started playing us, it being mentioned that if he wasn't consistently playing one particular position, he likely wouldn't become as good as he could be at that position and could potentially just end up being sort of a mediocre utility man.

In a way, I find it a bit funny how Rooney's place on the pitch has changed over the years. He's gone from scoring some 40 goals when played as a lone striker to now occasionally playing as central mid. It's interesting. I just feel like he's just good at too many things hence why his role has changed. I feel like it that bit of uncertainty (I guess you could call it that) in his role could like have a negative effect not totally dissimilar to that mentioned in regards to Jones development. (Not saying Rooney is still developing as a player. Just talking in regards to consistency.)

It'll be interesting what happens going forward especially if Kagawa gets more time behind the striker and begins to really excel there. (I think it's only a matter of time before he starts playing there regularly for Japan but that's beside the point.)

Not sure I'd swap Rooney with anyone either. He's an exceptually talented footballer, and can play well across the entire front 6 because of it. It's a strength, not a weakness. It does however seem like he has lost the spark at times, so for him personally, maybe a change of pasture would be good. I hope it doesn't happen though, because he is a really good player, and his versatility means we become unpredictable. I'd love to have Bale or maybe Wilshere too (if he can get over his thousand injuries), but I really don't want to see Rooney in another English team. If he is to be sold at some point, I hope it's abroad (or back to Everton in his 30s). Hazard and Mata are great footballers too, but no way would I swap them for Rooney, to see Rooney in their colours. No way! Besides, I'm not sure how well they would fit into our system.

Just hope Scholes hasn't played his last match for us :( I take it for granted he will retire at the end of the season now, and he should get one more outing at Old Trafford before that. Really, really hope he is back very soon. He doesn't deserve to go out like this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22081499

BBC article about Carrick. Interesting reading.

Even though I have criticised Rooney at times, not sure I'd swap him with anyone as well. I just want the guy to play like we all know he can more consistently and become the player he promised to be. Not sure a good performance against Villa in CM is enough to convince me that's his place but it was good to see him dropping off and picking up play more than he has been doing this season as that's where he's often most effective.

Not sure how you can watch how Hazard has done at Chelsea and say he's overrated. He's got 13 goals and 18 assists already, as good as Kagawa is Hazard has a ceiling on an altogether different level.

That a different Hazard to the one we signed last summer? :o

Hazard bit overrated for the money and hype. I prefer Kagawa to Hazard, glad we got him.

Hahahaha. Can I have some of that stuff you are smoking?

Hazard might be a cocky ballboy booting upstart but he is on another level to Kagawa. Lets face it, Hazard is an Aston Martin DB7 & Kagawa is the Jaguar XK8. Very similar, almost identical and both of obvious quality but we all know which one we would rather have when we get down to the gritty stuff.

Archived