The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

The lineswoman clearly says "yellow card please" to Howard Web when she puts the flag up. The red looked like it was given plain & simply because Ashley Cole & Oscar were waving cards & Luiz was rolling around. I don't think Webb actually saw the incident & was judging the reactions of the players.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rangers v Man Utd in a charity match kicks off at 2pm.

Among those turning out will be present boss Ally McCoist, Brian Laudrup, Arthur Numan, Lorenzo Amoruso, Michael Mols, Jorg Albertz, Gordon Durie, Alex Rae and Marvin Andrews.

United, managed by former Old Trafford hero Bryan Robson, will field a team which includes Edwin Van Der Sar, Denis Irwin, Dwight Yorke, Quinton Fortune, Jesper Blomqvist and David May.

Seen the team. No VDS. It's Van Der Gouw.

Full teams:

RANGERS: Goram; Konterman, Gough, Amoruso, Numan; Rae, McCall, Albertz; Novo, Mols, Laudrup.

SUBS: Andrews, Durie, Hateley, McCoist, Steven, McSwegan.

MANCHESTER UNITED: van der Gouw; Martin, Berg, Dublin, Irwin; Johnsen, Fortune, Sharpe; Yorke, Beardsley.

SUBS: Anderson, Thomas, May, Robson.

our team is more "legends" than the Man Utd one then :D

Van der Gouw a legend? how many games did Beardsley play for Manchester United as I don't think it was too many?

our team is more "legends" than the Man Utd one then :D

Van der Gouw a legend? how many games did Beardsley play for Manchester United as I don't think it was too many?

Beardsley played once.

Surprised Wilson hasn't been thrown on, in dire need of a natural striker and his pace should trouble the back 4 if they're tiring.

And here he comes, but for Januzaj :confused:

Please, pretty please, let this mean he'll be on the bench against Swansea...

We were far too patient against Liverpool yesterday. It was like watching Arsenal a few years back.

The downside of the own-goal was that we got to see John Flanagan's face on camera. :thdn:

think they were saying it's 5 on Sky on Sunday?

commentator mentioned Buttner who had came on for his 4th appearance in the Premiership this season, must be new rules I think

They mentioned in teh olden days it was 5 and more recently 10 and Lindegaard playing was sort of old skool from Fergie cause (as mentioned above) it's 40 medals. I assume this is from now onwards for champions so

Rightly so, squad should get a medal if you're naming a squad and then some youths and backroom staff, etc

Apparently there is a chance of a big announcement coming this sunday. Although whatever it is could break earlier. Im seeing it in a few places at the moment. Hope its not bad news ie Fergie retiring!

Seen a rumour today that Moyes is coming in for a year to learn the ropes under Sir Alex before he retires at the end of next season. :(

Yes a million times yes to Moyes. Jose can go back to Chelsea as we need a penny pincher and not a guy who likes to splurge. We may have lean times ahead but we can claw at that debt rather than raising it up with Jose.

Why would the club need a penny pincher? The way things are the debt will be down to less than 100m by the time the Nike deal and Chevrolet money roll in. Stop scaremongering. We're not skint.

Why would the club need a penny pincher? The way things are the debt will be down to less than 100m by the time the Nike deal and Chevrolet money roll in. Stop scaremongering. We're not skint.

If only finances worked like that, it is not ALL incremental profit. The incremental part is the extra we earn from the new deals over what we WOULD have earned if we stayed on current terms. Somehow I can't see that EXTRA amounting to over £200million even if it was all paid as a lump sum.

We are not skint but we are trading heavily which means that a heavy outlay can set us back significantly. The outlay I am thinking of is not debt payments but the date of maturity of those bonds in February 2017. We basically have 4 years to buy back the remaining bonds or a huge chunk of it so that we are only maturing a small amount.

4 years to clear £320million or we will have to refinance again or issue more equity. With our commercial agreements, we can clear it with a transfer policy that mimics the SAF approach but we can't afford a big splurge that the likes of Jose might require.

If only finances worked like that, it is not ALL incremental profit. The incremental part is the extra we earn from the new deals over what we WOULD have earned if we stayed on current terms. Somehow I can't see that EXTRA amounting to over £200million even if it was all paid as a lump sum.

We are not skint but we are trading heavily which means that a heavy outlay can set us back significantly. The outlay I am thinking of is not debt payments but the date of maturity of those bonds in February 2017. We basically have 4 years to buy back the remaining bonds or a huge chunk of it so that we are only maturing a small amount.

4 years to clear £320million or we will have to refinance again or issue more equity. With our commercial agreements, we can clear it with a transfer policy that mimics the SAF approach but we can't afford a big splurge that the likes of Jose might require.

You're right, I don't expect us to be debt free within the next few years but I've got the impression that the debt will be reduced to a comfortable level by the time those deals come into effect. Not to mention the new TV deals to come and the club expanding the TV channel. And yes, splurging is not an option, but we have spent close to 90m the last two years IIRC. We've not been penny pinching.

What's the amount of money we have to pay back or is it that the 320m is mostly tied up in them (the bonds)?

If Ferguson doesn't retire this season then Mourinho isn't an option, I do think if any of this is true then it's a factor in the decision. Moyes would be such a depressing choice as manager.

Ferguson & Rooney leaving with Mourinho & Ronaldo coming in would do me fine. Actually Bale too whilst I'm being greedy.

Then we can play the Christmas tree formation next season.

DdG

Evra

Rio/Vidic

Evans

Rafael

Carrick

Cleverley

Anderson/Kagawa/Fletcher/A.N.Other

Bale

Ronaldo

RvP

Fergie is gonna say he's having a (hip IIRC) operation and been advised to rest more so will miss all pre-season with the club, no travel (I believe he didn't travel on a particularly long flight last pre-season?) and that maybe he'll Bergkamp you and not travel to CL group game away matches so basically no long travel until February

You're right, I don't expect us to be debt free within the next few years but I've got the impression that the debt will be reduced to a comfortable level by the time those deals come into effect. Not to mention the new TV deals to come and the club expanding the TV channel. And yes, splurging is not an option, but we have spent close to 90m the last two years IIRC. We've not been penny pinching.

What's the amount of money we have to pay back or is it that the 320m is mostly tied up in them (the bonds)?

By penny pinching, I mean our policy of being a bit careful with big transfer fees and wages. SAF went for Kagawa and RVP while Jose would have wanted the likes of Falcao & Gotze with the outlay being an extra £30m or thereabouts (just an example)

Our Gross debt is the bond debt which stands at £367m, if you take our cash reserves as liquid (immediate disposable income) our cash net debt stands at £331m to the period ending March. All this assumes that the PIKs were all paid by Glazers and not lurking on the horizon somewhere as some other form of borrowing.

Last weekend big money was being placed on Moyes to be new united manager for next season l thought rubbish fergie won't be leaving just yet and thought united would go for a bigger European name but now not so sure as no smoke without fire.

I don't think united have had a non British manager. I can only remember Ron Atkinson and fergie and pretty sure there wasn't any foreign names before them.

Well, that's a bit of a bombshell to wake up to this morning.

Thoughts on the next manager? I would personally like Jurgen Klopp. Has won 2 German titles on a limited budget, and the football he gets his team to play is kind of the Utd way. Mourinho is a fantastic manager who has won major honors but he is very much a cheque book manager. I like Moyes, but feel he needs to go to a bigger club and win things before he gets a job at a club like Utd.

I like Klopp and I like Dortmund - but it would come across as very much a "fashionable" appointment. He's in vogue at the minute, the majority of people would have spat their chips out if he'd been appointed just 4 months ago.

Archived