The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

CC beat me to the 'moot' :D It's no pre-madonna, I tell ya

There are plenty of player leaves a club/some bad feeling ... manager turns up at that club some years down the line or comes back in contact with player. That's nothing Moyes/Rooney

I am sure Moyes, if it is him, will have a hotline to Fergie to talk over anything and everything he likes when he's in charge, make no mistake about that

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the dark days before SAF - he's irreplaceable. Mourinho/Moyes/Klopp they all have something lacking from the 'definition' Gill gave but which of them has the potential? Remember SAF said he'd have a say in who replaces him. So who does he admire above all others?

Whoever is chosen, I hope we get behind them and help them achieve in what are huge shoes to fill.

Bet Ando is out celebrating at another chance - wonder how many pies he can eat at the races?

Why would Mourinho turn us down after giving Ferguson & the club in general a very public blowjob after the CL exit?

I don't see the issue with Mourinho only being around for 2 or 3 years. The guy who takes over is going to be deemed a failure almost certainly & Mourinho is the best option to fight this crushing inevitability. After his reign we could look for something more stable & long term. The thought of Moyes taking over makes me feel ill. I will support anybody who comes in but I really don't see what Moyes can offer that any other (realistic) candidate could offer.

If we get Moyes it's a sign that we really don't have any money to spend.

I was 2 years 5 months & a few days old when Ferguson was appointed manager. I don't even know how i'm supposed to feel. It's all a bit surreal.

Why would Mourinho turn us down after giving Ferguson & the club in general a very public blowjob after the CL exit?

He probably had not seen Romans offer by then, also he was probably keeping his options open. I just can't see a situation where the board did not approach Mourinho as that would be silly not to try out the short list.

If Mourinho does not come here, it means he did not want to and not because we thought better of appointing him. His demands in terms of salary and transfer kitty might have scuppered it while Moyes promised to work with 2 fivers and a plank of wood.

If Mourinho does not come here, it means he did not want to and not because we thought better of appointing him. His demands in terms of salary and transfer kitty might have scuppered it while Moyes promised to work with 2 fivers and a plank of wood.

Bit harsh on your longest serving player isn't it?

Doubt he would tbh.

And icon is just being silly, if we don't get Mourinho it's because either we didn't want him (possibly on financial grounds) or because he's already agreed to go to Cheslea. No way in hell we've made him an offer and he's said "nah, I want an extra £70k a week".

Don't want Mourinho (As much as I like him) and all his me me me demands he brings. He won't protect the club or players and he isn't concern with blooding youth. He see things as short term rather then long.

Pep Guardiola in an ideal world one we would have approached.

Don't want Mourinho (As much as I like him) and all his me me me demands he brings. He won't protect the club or players and he isn't concern with blooding youth. He see things as short term rather then long.

Pep Guardiola in an ideal world one we would have approached.

So the home grown players Mourinho has played in his seasons at Real (for example) just don't count? Or the likes of Varane?

I saw this news first thing this morning and since then I've been in laughing it off as some big joke, a late April Fools if you will. Alas, sadly not.

Pretty much the only safe option right now is to go out and get Mourinho. For the next 3-4 years we pretty much guarantee success.

This thing about Mourinho not developing youth is rather strange too. He's been more than happy to give Morata and Varane game time this season at a club where youth development is hardly a primary concern. If the player's good enough, he'll make it into the squad - if he exceeds that, he'll earn his place in the first 11 (again, Varane).

Mourinho just isn't right. He doesn't have a long term plan. His youth development isn't one of his strong points.

He doesn't have a long term plan? Are you privvy to his thoughts? :D He's certainly not afraid to use younger players, although there's much less need to bleed youngsters in the main squad in Italy or Spain due to how things work there. Might also have something to do with what he's charged with doing at his clubs imo

He has played young players but how many has he truly developed? He hasn't been anywhere long enough to see if he can do it. Personally I think he would be different for us if he came here(who says he won't in the future?) but at this moment I would prefer to go with the choice that continues what we have as close as possible in terms of structure and culture.

Fwiw Varane can't count as youth development, nor can Phil Jones. Both were good enough when signed for the respective squads.

In which case it's ridiculous to call him out on poor youth developement. Obviously he can't have developed players himself, that's hard to do in 3-4 years. My point is that he's not averse to putting young players on the pitch. It's difficult to judge in Spain especially as they have Castilla who are in the league system, where the youngsters will be getting blooded.

I don't see the issue with Mourinho only being around for 2 or 3 years. The guy who takes over is going to be deemed a failure almost certainly & Mourinho is the best option to fight this crushing inevitability. After his reign we could look for something more stable & long term.

This really. Get Jose in to keep the ship steady and take the pressure off the next long-term manager before he pops off to Germany, France or Portugal (national team). Get Ole (still without a win this season :(), Giggs or whoever an apprenticeship in the mean time. Or maybe in 3-5 years time a more obvious viable long term option develops, rather than the hedged bet of Moyes.

Do like Moyes, but, as Razzler says, ten years ago O'Neill was a big tip for Fergie's successor and he's got something of that about him. Course, Klopp or whoever could be the next Svennis in the making :D

+1 for Jogi Loew for me.

Plus he's never been at a club (with the exception of Porto) who wanted a project. They wanted quick success, which he delivered. If he wants to be part of a long term project then he's earned the chance a thousand times over.

As it is it seems to be Moyes, thoroughly uninspiring but you can pretty much guarantee the boat won't rock which has it's benefits.

Toast and water sates the appetite better than most of the crap served at fancy dinners though. :p

Right now it's about the inspiration! And seeing a full table laden with fancy foods is much more inspiring than a single plate with a stack of toat ;)

Right now it's about the inspiration! And seeing a full table laden with fancy foods is much more inspiring than a single plate with a stack of toat ;)

Depends on the condiment selection. I think Moyes would have an excellent condiment selection.

Depends on the condiment selection. I think Moyes would have an excellent condiment selection.

Judging by some of the players in the Everton squad I have no doubt he'd serve something way past expiration date and that's been proven not to please those in attendance. Possibly by having something really expensive sitting in reserve and not being used at all. Or if he uses it, he'd serve it as an apetiser when it's clearly a dessert...

Judging by some of the players in the Everton squad I have no doubt he'd serve something way past expiration date and that's been proven not to please those in attendance. Possibly by having something really expensive sitting in reserve and not being used at all. Or if he uses it, he'd serve it as an apetiser when it's clearly a dessert...

No change then.. Giggs playing back-heels at 0-0, Rooney playing central midfield and Nani sat on the bench while Toni attempts to break another full back's shins.

Moyes to be the new Nani for Icelander. Everytime he blinks, Icey will come in saying Mourinho would have blinked better :)

Sod off icon :D When he's appointed I'll support him 100%. I'll get in a lot of snide quips before the season starts, though! And you've just made sure I'll make loads of "Well Mourinho..." comments too :lol:

No change then.. Giggs playing back-heels at 0-0, Rooney playing central midfield and Nani sat on the bench while Toni attempts to break another full back's shins.

You're right. It's wrong to want a change for the better :(

I know you're not saying that fwiw :p

Moyes is more of a Fergie choice then a club choice. But still meh. I prefer Moyes then Mourinho in some ways.

Apparently Moyes' dad coached Fergie at youth level :D game over.

Just realised that Moyes is O'Leary; not O'Neill.

Its a mute point really, everyone has to start somewhere, there are not an unlimited number of coaches who have champions league experience.

Then why would the biggest club in the world(or England, whatever) choose a manager who has no European experience? There's a better coach available.

"They require experience"

Moyes has managed Everton in Europe a few times.

:lol:

Are you serious?

:lol:

Archived