The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised at the line up. would have preferred:

BSD, Rafa, Jones, Evans, Buttner, Nani, Cleverley, Carrick/Anderson, Welbeck, Kagawa, Hernandez/RVP

Actually I would have sent RVP, Rio, Rooney, Vidic, Carrick, Evra and Giggs on a early holiday.

Jones in midfield again :( Poor Cleverley :(:(

Their holiday will be long enough, tbh.

Arsenal and Chelsea coming up. Don't want to lose both.

Wouldn't mind losing both, if it means some fringe players get game time and it means spurs don't get forth place (more chance of getting Bale)

Eh? We played very well in the second half (bar the last few minutes) and should have scored a goal or two. Deserved result overall I suppose, but we controlled the second half almost from start to finish. Chelsea are a bit different of course, but hopefully we beat them. I'm tired of mostly crap results against that team over the years. Knew the record wouldn't be beat, and this means a bigger chance for the kids to play in the last two, so not too bad overall.

Posted this in the match thread, will post it here too:

Rooney really annoyed me today. Did such a completely petulant thing at one point that showed him up as a completely petulant child.

Not only did he have a complete strop over RvP not threading a ball to him when he busted a gut to make a break, throwing his hands about everywhere & just giving up, but when he actually next got the ball, he looked up, saw RvP in a perfect position for a lofted pass & instead turned around & passed backwards.

It was the most blatant sign of "i'm not passing to you" I've ever seen at the highest level of the game. Such a small time, pub game type of move.

Posted this in the match thread, will post it here too:

Rooney really annoyed me today. Did such a completely petulant thing at one point that showed him up as a completely petulant child.

Not only did he have a complete strop over RvP not threading a ball to him when he busted a gut to make a break, throwing his hands about everywhere & just giving up, but when he actually next got the ball, he looked up, saw RvP in a perfect position for a lofted pass & instead turned around & passed backwards.

It was the most blatant sign of "i'm not passing to you" I've ever seen at the highest level of the game. Such a small time, pub game type of move.

Van Persie was marked and even if he wasn't it would have been a ridiculously hard pass to pull off :D

Even I thought Rooney was crap today but that? Jesus Christ :D

Thought Ferdinand was excellent today - really stood out, read the game brilliantly plus must have beaten Arsenal players 5 or 6 times with a bit of skill. Once we realised that Arsenal were out to win (and get away with murder referee?), felt we really stepped up and played good football...at least until it broke down at Rooney's feet - if he's going to carry on playing like that, he can go whether we get anyone else or not! Thought Nani really showed what he can do today, very positive going forward and tracked back. Ando also looked positive for the few minutes he was on, some great interplay work at one point, which again broke down with Rooney. Sure Cleverley has done something really bad in the last few weeks...

Who mentioned the second half
Ah sorry then. Didn't think the match was over at half-time.
Why would it even matter? League is won.
Because even though the league is won I'd rather not start so slow against Chelsea and be 5-0 a half time and get hammered?
Van Persie was marked and even if he wasn't it would have been a ridiculously hard pass to pull off :D

Even I thought Rooney was crap today but that? Jesus Christ :D

Is this what winning the league early does to us? Lots of little digs and snipes.

If you guys do not behave I will make you watch replays of Aguerooooooos goal on a loop. :mad:

Ah sorry then. Didn't think the match was over at half-time.

Who said the match was over?

I said if we turn up like we did today, Chelsea are more capable than Arsenal to score a few goals and take advantage.

Not that difficult surely.

But yeah, let's all be arses :thup:

I can get the guy from the pub to sign up and we'll have a different take on Valencia?

Nothing i can do about Ando.

I agree about Rooney. Can't believe the hissy fit he had when the ball didn't go to him. Just completely stopped while we still had the ball. Can hardly complain after the constant misplaced passes to Nani.

That was largely because the move had died on it's arse (thanks to RvP) and there was no chance of a decent forward ball being played so holding your position was about the best he could do. The ball back to Carrick(?) was the right thing to do though, even if he didn't look happy about it.

The stuff about being in a huff and not passing to RvP though? :D They've got the biggest bromance at the club going on since Evra had Park and Tevez torn away from him, people are just seeing what they want to see.

Actually coming around to the idea of him being sold if we can bring in a marquee player though, I still think it's the wrong thing to do and a full preseason will do him wonders but I can see why SAF might want to bring in someone else.

Who said the match was over?

I said if we turn up like we did today, Chelsea are more capable than Arsenal to score a few goals and take advantage.

Not that difficult surely.

But yeah, let's all be arses :thup:

You didn't SAY that, but yeah lets ignore that and put in a dig instead. Awesome. Apart from that dig, however, I agree Chelsea are more capable of punishing us than the current Le Arse. My point, however, was that we didn't play a horrible match (we should have won), and therefore we should look at the entire game and not just the first half, which you seemed to do by your second comment, which of course prompted mine.

I am kind of glad we didn't win. The illusion of the point record is now gone, so it will be easier for the kids to play more in the last 2 than if it was still 'on' by then. And it increases the chance for Arsenal to get CL football over Chelsea or Spurs. We won't get Bale in either case, but I hope Spurs and Arsenal get CL football and not Chelsea. Suppose Jose is Chelsea-bound in any case, but not getting CL football would put a damper on things. Mostly, though, I just dislike that damn plaything club.

Actually coming around to the idea of him being sold if we can bring in a marquee player though, I still think it's the wrong thing to do and a full preseason will do him wonders but I can see why SAF might want to bring in someone else.

Don't like it either, but there simply seems to be something lacking in Rooney's game at the moment, and if he can't refind that, maybe we're better off looking elsewhere. If he also earns well over 200,000 a week, well, we can put that to good use somewhere else. I'm not convinced we are genuinely after Lewandowski (god, that's a pain to write out), but if we are, it has to mean a striker out, which will be Rooney or Chicha. Don't want Chicha to leave because he offers something different to our other strikers. Don't want Rooney to leave either, but we can't have 5 top shelf strikers in the club - that doesn't make any sense. It's tough enough with 4 to give all enough games.

Today was quite typical for Rooney - he moves from very good to "what the hell was that?" throughout the game. Some of the passes over the sideline today were baffling. I hope he gets the spark back that he needs to play on top of his game. For all the frustration people often utter about Nani, Rooney has been much the same. From brilliant to frustrating all in the same game. Losing both of them in one summer will be very hard to take though :( Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but it's becoming very difficult to believe Nani has a future here now - although he has in fairness started in some big games recently.

Today was quite typical for Rooney - he moves from very good to "what the hell was that?" throughout the game.

This sums Rooney up perfectly.

I think a lot of people have started losing patience with him this season having seen him in comparison to RvP. Yet I struggle to think of a single player in the world (within reason) who could do what he does for us season on season.

This sums Rooney up perfectly.

I think a lot of people have started losing patience with him this season having seen him in comparison to RvP. Yet I struggle to think of a single player in the world (within reason) who could do what he does for us season on season.

People are just obsesses with the flashy new object. Would have to be an excess of money for me to want Rooney sold. For all his faults he still contributes greatly to the team.

People are just obsesses with the flashy new object. Would have to be an excess of money for me to want Rooney sold. For all his faults he still contributes greatly to the team.

He does. Which is why I don't want him to be sold.

Rooney has at least found some consistency the past few months, just a shame he's been consistently ****.

Genuinely would not be too fussed if he went as long as 1) we got a dickload of money for him and 2) we replace him with another world class player (but one that plays like it a lot more often).

Others I wouldn't be fussed to see go would be Nani, Young, Valencia and Anderson.

Obviously don't want them all to go as it would kind of **** us over!

Bale and Fellaini in would be a good start, and a striker if Rooney were to go. I know all the talk has been of Lewandowski, but other than seeing he stuck 4 past Madrid I don't know anything of him (although admittedly you have to surely be 'pretty decent' if you're notching 4 in the semis of the Champions League against Real Madrid).

I don't think Rooney really suffered from RVP joining us. He hasn't played as an out and out striker in some time. I do feel really sorry for Chicharito. At least Welbeck got to play as a winger on occasion.

If you got hold of Lewandowski where would it all fit together, Rooney permanently in central midfield?

Although Lewandowski obviously is a great player, buying him doesn't really make sense to me. We'd have 3 players who should be the focal point (Lewa, RVP, Chicha) and another 2 who can be more supportive, plus Kagawa. Something has to give. But even so, RVP and Lewa is an odd combo. Pulling RVP further behind is a weird move when he is such a brilliant finisher with intelligent movement. And I can't really see Lewa being the linkup guy, he should be the focal point too given his playstyle and attributes.

Simply put, I don't think we are genuinely after him.

We are screaming out for a midfielder, and that is where we should put whatever money SAF has managed to make the leeches pull out of their collective mattresses.

I might be crazy here but I would happily see Rooney go and his replacement not be a forward. We have 3 Strikers & Kagawa with 2 of them struggling for games as it is. Rooney out and a midfielder and winger in would do me fine. If no midfielder then keep Wazza here please

I would let Rooney leave if it meant getting Bale.

Don't think we need a big name player for midfield, I'd be happy bringing in two back ups for Carrick and Cleverley.

Victor Wanyama being one of them, and I wouldn't be surprised if SAF went for someone like James McCarthy or James McArthur from Wigan. (can't remember which one is the better one)

Archived