Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

1 hour ago, Beren said:

I also tend not to use those options, but the doubt clinged my mind since my assistant manager told me that one of my opponents was very weak on his left side.

Therefore I was wondering how to exploit that deficiency

Honestly, the AssMan's advice is not something you should pay too much attention to (if any). Of course, if you notice that you really can take advantage of an opposition weakness, then do it. But don't do things just because the assistant suggested something. 

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, tkwongerball said:

how different does an advanced forward behave compared to a pressing forward? 

The first and most obvious difference is that AF does not press and tackle aggressively, unlike PF (on any duty).

In attack, their behavior is pretty similar in the sense that both move into channels and look to attack space in the final third. An important difference is that the PF does not sit on the shoulder of the last defender as much as AF does, and generally is positioned slightly deeper (and thus basically less isolated from the midfield during the build-up phase). It can be also said that AF is a bit more mobile role than PF in terms of exploring space up front.

In terms of striker role classification, both AF and PF are runners (as opposed to creator roles). 

An overall conclusion could be this: from a defensive perspective, AF is a "softer" version of PF on attack; from an attacking perspective, PF on attack duty is a "softer" (and deeper) version of AF.

NOTE: all of the above applies only to the PF on attack duty. 

So, I took over Darlington after 18 matches in the season, the team cohesion was okay already, and after a few games, they were already doing what I was telling them to do, which can take longer when you are building a completely new team, so again, cohesion felt like a non-issue.

But then, after maybe 8 games, I ran into an 0-5 beating, where my players suddenly stopped passing to teammates, and just cleared the ball to wherever, which lead to a sh*tload of balls turned over. This came out of nowhere, and I was fearing that maybe the game is indeed "brOkEn aND UnpLaYABle!!4" after all.

But then it dawned on me: I signed about 10 trialists just some days before that game.

Can trialists f*ck up your cohesion so much that it feels like you are building a completely new team?

Because yeah, the old trick of just signing two dozen players for a trial instead of scouting them was definitely wack, but this system also feels wrong. They were playing in U23 and U18 friendlies, that shouldn't disrupt my first team so much!

Edited by Glen_Runciter
words

45 minutes ago, Glen_Runciter said:

So, I took over Darlington after 18 matches in the season, the team cohesion was okay already, and after a few games, they were already doing what I was telling them to do, which can take longer when you are building a completely new team, so again, cohesion felt like a non-issue.

But then, after maybe 8 games, I ran into an 0-5 beating, where my players suddenly stopped passing to teammates, and just cleared the ball to wherever, which lead to a sh*tload of balls turned over. This came out of nowhere, and I was fearing that maybe the game is indeed "brOkEn aND UnpLaYABle!!4" after all.

But then it dawned on me: I signed about 10 trialists just some days before that game.

Can trialists f*ck up your cohesion so much that it feels like you are building a completely new team?

Because yeah, the old trick of just signing two dozen players for a trial instead of scouting them was definitely wack, but this system also feels wrong. They were playing in U23 and U18 friendlies, that shouldn't disrupt my first team so much!

Trialists lower your cohesion. You can check it out in Dynamics.

On 07/01/2020 at 22:31, Novem9 said:

Waste time option. Is it usable for tiki taka? Or its more pause in moments between ball-in-game?

This: pause in moments between ball-in-game.

Time wasting is basically a defensive strategy, which you use toward the end of a match when you are pleased with the result and just want to see out the match. Therefore, it's not really usable for a style like tiki-taka.

1 hour ago, Sharkn20 said:

Where can I find how strong are the feet of my players? I can't find the screen... I must be blind or something, lol.

There should be a boot icon left/right coloured green/yellow/red depending on your skin. Under the player portrait I think (I use a custom skin so it may be different for you).

Ok, this is probably a weird question but, in relation to a F9, where would an IW(s) and an IF(a) (both in the aml/r position) play? 

Would the IF be further forward than the F9, alongside or behind? 

Or, would I in effect, be playing with 3 Amc? 

38 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

What exactly does "Thinks his training unit is not getting enough attention" mean?

Capture.thumb.PNG.27688fbda10d25e1e1c9b79060249b76.PNG

Means exactly what it says. In this particular case, given that Pickford is a goalkeeper, it means that you should include some training sessions that are primarily focused on goalkeepers' training (if you want to appease the player). 

Just now, Experienced Defender said:

Means exactly what it says. In this particular case, given that Pickford is a goalkeeper, it means that you should include some training sessions that are primarily focused on goalkeepers' training (if you want to appease the player). 

Oh the schedule. I thought it meant the coaches were overloaded. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Coaches can be overloaded if you don't have enough of them, but that was not the reason why Pickford complained.

Yeah I checked my coaches and they were all light to average so I was baffled about the complaint. Have added some GK sessions to my schedules now so will keep an eye on it. Thanks.

Edited by Tiger666

1 hour ago, poobington said:

Hi guys whats the difference between a Defensive midfielder on defend and a half back

DM on defend is a bit more aggressive in his manner of defending and his initial position(ing) is higher than HB. On the other hand, the main characteristic of HB is the tendency to drop between the CBs in the early stage of attacking build-ups, thus virtually forming a "back three" of sorts. However, when your team dominates the game and is camping in the opposition half, HB will move up the pitch (sometimes even close to the opposition penalty area, depending both on your team mentality, type of player and overall circumstances in a given situation). Essentially, HB as a role is useful when you have attack-minded fullbacks/wing-backs, who get forward a lot to support the attack in advanced areas of the pitch.

LEt's say the midfield is sorted and fine, what are some generally good Strike partnerships for an AF and under which conditions ?

I want a Creator/Scorer front two and want to know which strike partnership worls well with an AF and which does not at all (assuming the players are good at all the striker roles) 

I had an Af- Pocaher partnership that worked very well in FM19, but now i'm not having so much success with it anymore. 

8 hours ago, Vladis said:

Hello guys? Does anybody have experience with "stay wider" PI for DLF?  Will he stay at half-space or near sideline?

Any instruction - including the "stay wider" PI - serves just to encourage a certain type of behavior, rather than being set in stone. Therefore, if you tell a player to stay wider, it does not mean that he will be located out wide all the time and never move to the middle. It just means you are encouraging him to look to move into wider areas a bit more than he otherwise would, i.e. when such kind of movement/positioning makes sense in a given situation. 

On 12/01/2020 at 19:18, Pattric_b said:

What is the difference ?

1394403993_ScreenShot2020-01-12at2_13_31PM.thumb.png.76010890c66db9c4222af07da5d9266a.png

1200788511_ScreenShot2020-01-12at2_13_27PM.thumb.png.bb112e27c04366b2f771f9defe1eb1b1.png

I notice a lot of times it will just say wanted by _______ and not say (transfer) after. Is there any particular reason for this?

That says to me H Smith is wanted by Bournemouth eg a transfer and Barca are interested in C Young.

Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Lam3r said:

What would be the difference between Counter press on and pressing at default and counter press off and pressing ramped up to max?

The key difference is that the Counter-press is a transitional instruction, which means it's applied only during defensive transitions (from the moment you lose the ball to the moment the defensive consolidation phase has been completed), whereas the pressing urgency is a regular out-of-possession instruction, which means it is in effect throughout the defensive phase of play (i.e. when the ball is in the possession of your opponent). 

I'm currently in L1 and have a striker who is 6'1" and has strength of 18, along with about 12/13 for jumping reach and heading. His ideal role is target man but I play him as a DLF - A up top on his own in a 41221 as I don't want long balls hit towards him.

Whilst being supremely strong and reasonable in the air he's obviously not a giant. What type of crossing would you recommend as being best? Currently on default but perhaps this could be an area of improvement.

I've a few basic questions... :

1. If the team isn't using "Counter-Press" or "Regroup" what is the default behaviour? A mix of the two? Something else?
  2. Similarly with "Counter" and "Hold Shape"
  3. Are DMs part of the Defensive Line or the Line of Engagement?

26 minutes ago, Jimmious7 said:

If the team isn't using "Counter-Press" or "Regroup" what is the default behaviour? A mix of the two? Something else?

Players will basically behave according to their roles/duties and other (non-transitional) instructions, including of course the mentality as an inherently important factor. 

30 minutes ago, Jimmious7 said:

Similarly with "Counter" and "Hold Shape"

See the answer to your 1st question above. When it comes specifically to the Counter TI, you don't necessarily have to use it in order to see counter-attacks by your team. Moreover, you can even create a counter-attacking tactic without the Counter TI. 

32 minutes ago, Jimmious7 said:

Are DMs part of the Defensive Line or the Line of Engagement?

Neither. But their defensive behavior is affected by both lines. Plus, when you use a DM, your defensive line will automatically be just slightly lower than it's nominally set up (in order to allow the DM a bit more space to operate).

Quick question. Is it possible to use False 9 in attacking trio to create space for Complete forward on support to exploit it, and a Attacking midfielder on attack/support as a runner?? Idea is create fluid attacking trio who Can interchange position and all of them could be provider/scorer.

On 04/12/2019 at 14:58, DavyDepuydt1 said:

Is it strange that I'm having more success with the "clean slate", and using just a couple (or sometimes even no) team instructions than with all the presets.
First I've tested a couple of careers (both top & LLM) and used the default presets, and I had almost no success.

Clean slate, with a common formation, almost no TI's and a positive mentality seems to do the trick for me with various teams...

I would've expected that choosing the preset & formation that matches your team (according to the AM) would at least make you perform according to the team's season expactations, but many times I was in worse position than what was expected.

Me too, my tactic with Lokomotiv Gomel and later FC Gomel is a 4-4-2 on balanced with no instructions team or individual.

See how the game goes in first 15 minutes and I'll change the mentality to either positive or cautious.

Then I'll any TI or PI is situational for that game only, Like I might start going long if they are pressing me high up the pitch or I'll play wider if they have a man sent off to stretch the play

Things like that, its worked well so far.

1 hour ago, Tiger666 said:

How do you know if your OI instructions are being used?

I have them set for position.

oi2.thumb.jpg.d3460599ba52caca19dc5e22a821a65c.jpg

Yet when I'm in a match nothing shows up.

oi1.thumb.jpg.54dc5eac5731a773922952c616a5422b.jpg

Is there no indication they are on or do you just have to trust it?

The first screenshot shows positional OIs (which you set). The other one shows player OIs (the green/right halves of the small oval circles). If you want to see the positional OIs, just switch to the left half of the oval circle for those players whose OIs you want to see. 

8 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

The first screenshot shows positional OIs (which you set). The other one shows player OIs (the green/right halves of the small oval circles). If you want to see the positional OIs, just switch to the left half of the oval circle for those players whose OIs you want to see. 

Ah yes I see, thank you once again. So that being the case, do I need to go in for every match and slide them over for them to work or are they working jn the background?

Edited by Tiger666

1: We know that HODY and Facilities are important for better Youth intake but does SCOUTS, U19 Manager, U19 Coaches, Do they have any impact on how Youth Intake?

2: U19 Coaches have "Judging Player Ability and Judging Player Potential" Does these have any impact on Youth Intake or Youth training overall? 

3: What attributes should matter when hiring a U19 Coach, How do they effect U19 players traning?

12 hours ago, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz said:

I have a player with seemingly contradictory individual traits, he has both hugs the line and cuts inside, what impact will this have on his behaviour?

It'll be similar to an inverted winger. He'll tend to stay very wide and when running with the ball, will tend to cut inside.

35 minutes ago, safcrhys said:

Seen some people saying you shouldn’t play a wing back behind a winger and that you’re better set the role as just a normal FB. True or false?

Some set 'rules' like this in place for them and that's fine. You can set up how you want though and there's nothing necessarily wrong with having a WB (I assume the role, not the position) behind a Winger. You haven't mentioned any Duties either and that's more important than the roles themselves, in this case, imo.

9 minutes ago, sverige91 said:

1: We know that HODY and Facilities are important for better Youth intake but does SCOUTS, U19 Manager, U19 Coaches, Do they have any impact on how Youth Intake?

2: U19 Coaches have "Judging Player Ability and Judging Player Potential" Does these have any impact on Youth Intake or Youth training overall? 

3: What attributes should matter when hiring a U19 Coach, How do they effect U19 players traning?

1 - this may be of use https://community.sigames.com/topic/400465-crucial-attributes-for-head-of-youth-development/?do=findComment&comment=10872070

2 - something maybe @Seb Wassell can answer, but I wouldn't think it matters.

3 - when you go to training -> coaches -> edit coach assignments, important attributes are highlighted. You can do something similar on the coach's profile where you can pick a role and highlight attributes for what you need. Work off that.:thup: When looking at youth coaches though, add Working With Youngsters as well.

9 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Some set 'rules' like this in place for them and that's fine. You can set up how you want though and there's nothing necessarily wrong with having a WB (I assume the role, not the position) behind a Winger. You haven't mentioned any Duties either and that's more important than the roles themselves, in this case, imo.

I’m playing a WB on support behind an AMR who is playing as a “W” also on support. 

Playing a 4-2-3-1 gegenpress

PF - At

IF - At ..... W - Su

BBM ... MEZ - Su

DLP - Su

WB - Su .... CD - de ... BPD - De ... WB - Su

5 minutes ago, safcrhys said:

I’m playing a WB on support behind an AMR who is playing as a “W” also on support. 

Are you seeing any issues? I only change something if I see issues with my setup.

11 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Are you seeing any issues? I only change something if I see issues with my setup.

Well we are top of the league by 12 points and have the best defensive and offensive records in the league so guess that’s my answer.

Thanks for the help.