Netherlands vs Argentina QF, 7PM GMT, Lusail Iconic Stadium

The_jagster

The grandest stadium at the tournament hosts what is probably the most evocative tie of the quarters, two countries with World Cup pedigree who contested the 1978 final. The winner will be beaten on penalties by Croatia in the semis.

Once again, the Dutch FA give the formation too :thup: Argentina are being slow

NedArg.thumb.jpg.64f5ec4826b5043f79b932f5b5243c06.jpg

ArgNed.jpg.dda353b0ce83862bc5911c4309192afa.jpg

Past quarter-finals?

The Netherlands: Perhaps surprisingly, only their 5th quarter final, in part thanks to the tournament format when they were one of the best teams in the world in the 70s. The only time they failed to progress was a 3-2 loss to Brazil in 1994, having beaten Costa Rica on penalties in 2014, Brazil in 2010 and most memorably, beating Argentina 2-1 in 1998 with a brilliant Dennis Bergkamp goal late on.

Argentina: 7 previous quarters but not always successful ones. Their first two were against England in '66 and '86, and the only other time Argentina have won was beating Belgium 1-0 in 2014 thanks to a Higuain goal, although they did progress after a penalty shootout against Yugoslavia in 1990 following a goalless draw.

Past meetings?

The Dutch won 4-0 in a 1974 second group stage match, Cruyff cushioning a lofted ball, deftly taking it past an Argentina player and scoring with his third touch in opening the scoring. Argentina won 3-1 after extra time in the 1978 final, Kempes scoring twice, and Bergkamp cushioned a lofted ball, deftly took it past an Argentina player and scored with his third touch in the 1998 quarter final. That was the last goal in this fixture, despite a group stage meeting in 2006 and a semi-final in 2014 which Argentina won on penalties, a traditional Dutch weakness. Blind and Depay were on the bench in 2014, only Messi survives from that game for Argentina, and he also started the 2006 match.

What if it goes to penalties?

The Dutch have won 2, lost 5. Argentina have won 10, lost 6. The Copa America has a lot of penalty shootouts :D

I am busy tomorrow so won't be starting either match thread.

*Fun fact: Cruyff also wore a unique shirt at that tournament as his personal contract with Puma meant that his sleeves only had two stripes rather than the Adidas three like his teammates

Edited by The_jagster

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's another DENNIS BERGKAMP moment tonight, we could have the same four Semi Finalists as we did in 1998: Croatia, Netherlands, France, and Ronaldo's team. ;)

I don't think there will be, though. Gakpo aside, the Dutch really haven't impressed me, while Argentina have gone from strength to strength after their early Saudi setback. They're still my favourites for the title, especially now that Brazil and Spain have gone (Kylian who? :p).

3-0 to Argentina.

Annoyingly there is a Matthaus clip where he says "It's a wonderful game what we are playing here" in a fairly camp voice but I cannot find the original source, just seeing his name reminds me to post it in case anyone knows what I'm talking about :D

5 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Please win Argentina. Holland v Croatia in a half empty Lusail will be meh. 

This is going to be just as dull.

Pass it to Messi against well-drilled counters, but neither team will be active enough.

Scaloni builds something for years then switches to back 3 for the biggest game of his career, that just screams insecurity.

Just now, Confused Clarity said:

Shearer determined to just keep calling The Netherlands "Holland". Shouldn't be surprised. The little Englander ***** that he is.

Can't wait until half-time, when Gary asks him for his thoughts on tomorrow night's game - France vs Sussex. :D

35 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

24th WC game for Messi tonight.  Matthaus record is 25 remember.

So either he gets the semi and then the final or the third place game.  Gets to 26 and breaks the record.  Or they lose tonight and he finishes one short.

4 more years tbh

36 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

So either he gets the semi and then the final or the third place game.  Gets to 26 and breaks the record.  Or they lose tonight and he finishes one short.

How many is Cristiano Ronaldo on?

39 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Narrative demands an England Argentina final.

Nahuel Molina was often critiziced by Spanish radios during the Liga games. 

Is he having good games this WC?

Also Papu Gomez is not doing much for Sevilla and/or De Paul for Atleti.

I think Brazil and Argentina squads have too many "players playing in Europe" that have not been playing well. 

Edited by Hanxvirenk208

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

He’s on 22 after the QF. He was on 17 going into this WC and Messi was on 19. So Messi was the only one of them who could catch Matthaus.

I'm sure CR will try his best to make it to the next one to break the record ;)

2 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

This World Cup has some great drama late in games, but overall in majority of games the standard has been proper poor hasn’t it? 

Either slow, defensive or just no imagination on the ball (mostly because of the first two points). 

That's because the teams that have the quality played way too passive or with wrong tactical setups.

Just now, Pukey said:

Garden for 6

Ranged.

Edited by GunmaN1905

1 minute ago, pearcey_90 said:

This World Cup has some great drama late in games, but overall in majority of games the standard has been proper poor hasn’t it? 

Either slow, defensive or just no imagination on the ball (mostly because of the first two points). 

I've enjoyed most of the matches tbh.

This probably a match where the fans of the teams involved are glued to it but it's awful for a neutral. My country's never going to qualify for a World Cup so I just want to see some good football. :D

Edited by Darius1998