*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

I'm beginning to wonder if SI know how to balance a game. Last year it was waaay to easy to loan players. Now though they won't ever let you renew loans and if you want to loan a player who is loan listed, every single club demands 150k-300k a month. The same with asking the captain to have a talk with an unhappy player. Last year and previous games it had a high success rate but now even if it is a seasoned leader talking to a youth player IT NEVER WORKS. Does my head in :idiot:

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LucasBR said:

Balls over the top, defenders missing headers all the time, poor passing, poor 1x1 conversion rate... Impressive how they mess up every time after a big patch. Impossible to have fun playing on this terrible ME.

lower your defence , get better defenders

26 minutes ago, alian62 said:

lower your defence , get better defenders

That's your expert fix for an actual known issue acknowledged by Si themselves which they can't seem to fix?

Gotya...

Si...sign him up!

2 hours ago, LucasBR said:

Balls over the top, defenders missing headers all the time, poor passing, poor 1x1 conversion rate... Impressive how they mess up every time after a big patch. Impossible to have fun playing on this terrible ME.

I've had zero issues with this, either for or against since the update.

Something is off with injuries I think. I've played half a season on the new patch, and it was OK-ish, nothing too bad. Starting a new season, 1 week of pre-season training, 2 friendlies and I now have 6 medium to major injuries, and all on important players/stars. I play with Daveincid's realism pack and the save was started prior to the last patch, previous 4-5 seasons I didn't have this issue, I mean I had the occasional major injury or couple of important players out for 4-6 weeks at any time, but now 6 in 1 week seems over the top. Could be just a bad string of luck, but it feels really bad.

2 hours ago, unitedstian said:

I'm beginning to wonder if SI know how to balance a game. Last year it was waaay to easy to loan players. Now though they won't ever let you renew loans and if you want to loan a player who is loan listed, every single club demands 150k-300k a month. The same with asking the captain to have a talk with an unhappy player. Last year and previous games it had a high success rate but now even if it is a seasoned leader talking to a youth player IT NEVER WORKS. Does my head in :idiot:

The loan market has been an issue in FM23, I know I've submitted a decent amount of data to them and they acknowledged the issue, I think finding the right balance to fix it is going to take a bit of time though.

How could this be possible now? After qualifying for Champions League, the initial budget deducted from 99M to 64M? It used to be whatever budget you have for this season will be carried on to next season.

image.png.dc4771cebfe969dd1f4c1c40dbc0803d.pngimage.png.f37cde0156416a424efba5c8b2695741.png

Daniel Levy is the ONLY reason you can tell me this is reasonable and possible...

image.png.d3d815cda7973942bc7b8ef8debf8055.png

Edited by qzjegg

7 minutes ago, qzjegg said:

How could this be possible now? After qualifying for Champions League, the initial budget deducted from 99M to 64M? It used to be whatever budget you have for this season will be carried on to next season.

image.png.dc4771cebfe969dd1f4c1c40dbc0803d.pngimage.png.f37cde0156416a424efba5c8b2695741.png

Daniel Levy is the ONLY reason you can tell me this is reasonable and possible...

image.png.d3d815cda7973942bc7b8ef8debf8055.png

I see your problem.

You have Daniel Levy as a chairman :D

4 hours ago, Maviarab said:

There shouldn't need to be a system of 'knowing how it works' though...should there?  This is no different to team talks.

It is a management game. It is supposed to require some kind of skill element. Otherwise this is basically an add morale button.

It is no different to team talks, where you can also mess up and say the wrong thing.

9 minutes ago, Dotsworthy said:

It is no different to team talks, where you can also mess up and say the wrong thing.

Not really.  Second option from the left, no matter what happened, and your golden.

If SI wanted to screw up 99% of the saves out there, they would randomize what answers showed up where.

Enjoying the demo. A few observations on ME (this is from watching other game highlights as well as my own team):

- I see a lot of goals from within the 6 yard box - tap ins from crosses near the byline. Looks realistic but happens a lot.

- I don't see a lot of goals from outside the box, barely any in fact.

- Still feel like I don't see IF or IW properly cutting inside and taking on defenders; almost always shown wide

- Ball animations look good

- I see the chaos within the match play really refreshing - I've no idea which way the highlight will fall in terms of which team gets the chance

- Minor thing, but after so many FMs it is great to see the net animations work authentically when a goal is scored. For years they looked like spider webs and glitched every time the ball crossed the line.

Small sample of 8 games, but enjoying this and may purchase full game if it carries on.

There are aspects to the game that I absolutely love, the chaos especially at lower levels but the constant over the top of the defence splitting passes are very repetitive to watch and make it a very frustrating side to the game for me.

I've a fear every time a tackle is made in the box because it usually ends up in a pen being given but I accept that as I'm playing at low level.

On 11/03/2023 at 14:24, Dotsworthy said:

Midblocks have been viable for years. I've won prem trophies with mid block teams.

I didn't write that it isn't viable. I wrote: if you do, you're handicapping yourself.

My own results prove it. Tests around tactics prove it.

People (myself included) tend to romanticize a certain playstyle. But if it's significantly worse than something else I'm over with.

17 hours ago, Jellico73 said:

Not really.  Second option from the left, no matter what happened, and your golden.

If SI wanted to screw up 99% of the saves out there, they would randomize what answers showed up where.

Do you mean press conferences?

38 minutes ago, Sanel said:

I didn't write that it isn't viable. I wrote: if you do, you're handicapping yourself.

My own results prove it. Tests around tactics prove it.

People (myself included) tend to romanticize a certain playstyle. But if it's significantly worse than something else I'm over with.

That's fair. I agree to a point, I definitely think that plug and play & gegenpress tactics are less viable with every team now but once you are above average for the division it's pretty likely to overachieve.

The other bugbear is seeing Conte teams in the relegation zone for playing a back 3

17 hours ago, shaunwwfc said:

Am I the only one that cannot bare the weight of passes? Are they kicking around a ball made of stone here since the patch?

This also seems to be the case every time a player is rounding the keeper...

Can we PLEASE get a Technical Director type role for National Teams .. hiring staff for all senior and youth teams is such a chore, and an unnecessary one at that .. I know you can put out adverts, but it's still not something I really want to do!

2 hours ago, KeegBCFC said:

Seeing 5 blocked shots per game get looped into the air for the keeper to catch and those being half of the highlights on key is getting real boring.

Shots never go through a crowd of bodies/legs, it feels 

I played a lot now since the last patch and I do believe that this version of the ME is the best version on FM23 and much improved since the patch.

The more I've played the more it feels like attributes are now having more of an impact which is a good thing, before it felt like it was on rails and very predictable but I'm seeing a lot more chaos and a lot more variety in goals. Players with low jumping reach have more problems when heading, acceleration I've noticed a lot more with players having quick bursts of speed, first touch is a lot more important with players losing possession more, defenders poor positioning seems more impactful and strikers with good off the ball seem to find space easier.

Pressing causes more problems, particularly when players make the wrong decision to press and leave gaps which can be exploited.

Counter attacks are much better although at times it seems like the attackers move better than the defending players during the counter attack. 

I'm honestly not seeing any major issues now, I wasn't too happy when the patch came out as there appeared to be issues although that maybe because the game played differently to before but actually looking at the game play more and goal replays I think a lot of what I thought might be problems actually can be explained by poor/good football, players mistakes or poor/good player attributes.

I wasn't really enjoying FM23 that much but since the patch its been much more enjoyable.

Please, si, consider the press conferences for future editions. It’s an area I DO want to play but it’s extremely tedious these days, some of these conferences have an absolute ton of questions to answer, and answers can feel like they are essays long. It’s just not fun…and also the feeling I get is that it’s all just trying to trip me up, like navigating a mine field where one bad answer has negative impact on the team. This whole thing just needs a re-think with a more fun approach I think.. it’s just so tiresome and annoying as it is right now. 

7 hours ago, Rob 396 said:

Can we PLEASE get a Technical Director type role for National Teams .. hiring staff for all senior and youth teams is such a chore, and an unnecessary one at that .. I know you can put out adverts, but it's still not something I really want to do!

Staffing in the game needs a complete overhaul. It can be very easy to find the perfect coach only for him to demand to be an assistant, despite the staff filter saying otherwise.

Big clubs have 12 coaches (plus the assistant manager and your own stats) and you need to fill all of them (and use the 6 U21 staff) to get a full star rating and light workload, yet looking at Man City's first team staff in real life they have like 6 including Pep plus two first team analysts.

Also, it's basically impossible to know whether your staff are getting better.

8 hours ago, Harrymcintyre said:

Please, si, consider the press conferences for future editions. It’s an area I DO want to play but it’s extremely tedious these days, some of these conferences have an absolute ton of questions to answer, and answers can feel like they are essays long. It’s just not fun…and also the feeling I get is that it’s all just trying to trip me up, like navigating a mine field where one bad answer has negative impact on the team. This whole thing just needs a re-think with a more fun approach I think.. it’s just so tiresome and annoying as it is right now. 

Yes, or at the very least make them truly optional. If I'm putting my assistant in charge of all the press conferences it has a negative effect when looking for a job. So now I have to attend them, and tedious doesn't come close to describing this torturous ordeal. It's incredibly repetitive, and the answer that gets highlighted at the end is always the one about the referee (who for some reason is always considered terrible).

Edited by The Amazing Dale Watkins

On 11/03/2023 at 14:33, Dotsworthy said:

I find with the player interactions that the lack of guidance or documentation is the problem and makes the system look illogical when it's okay once you know how it works.

For example, he might be the best performing player in the team, but if his average rating is 7 and he has a professional personality he might have higher expectations and think he is just playing okay and that your praise is just bullshitting him.

Same with criticising players for a match performance. They have broken it up into aspects of a performance (tackling, crossing, shooting) so you have to check their stats beforehand and pick the right option.

Same with fines, you can fine players for poor performance but you need to find the line where a player won't kick off, which is usually not fining them two weeks wages. You can even warn players in the youth team who played badly and they actually respond, but fining them anything they will kick off.

Not to say it's perfect, and some players will always kick off regardless.

You are basically proving my point here by your comment.

"so you have to check their stats beforehand and pick the right option" - do you really think this happens in the real world? That Ancelotti - before daring say "i appreciate your good form" to Benzema being the teams top performer and just having scored a match winning goal in the last match - has to go back and check specific statistics to make sure he doesnt get a pissed off player that will start to consider his future at the club because his manager offered him a well-meaning 'well done' ? 

Edited by molsen

51 minutes ago, molsen said:

You are basically proving my point here by your comment.

"so you have to check their stats beforehand and pick the right option" - do you really think this happens in the real world? That Ancelotti - before daring say "i appreciate your good form" to Benzema - has to go back and check specific statistics to make sure he doesnt get a pissed off player that will start to consider his future at the club because his manager offered him a well-meaning 'well done' ? 

In real life he can see his team perform on the pitch, and also talk to Benzema daily and gauge his personality and how he responds to praise or criticism and decide where and when to do so. In real life Ferguson was a strict disciplinarian who had extremely high standards with everyone who played with Man United and the clout and personality to make players respect him. Except Eric Cantona, where he would mostly let him get away with anything because he felt that was the best way to motivate them.

We don't have that. We have an abstract version of this based on player ratings, stats and personalities. The line has to be somewhere. You presumably wouldn't praise him if he was the most in form player but averaged 6.53 in the last five games.

I'm not saying that you are wrong to be annoyed, more that the game doesn't give you enough information to understand where that line is and why.

Edited by Dotsworthy

1 minute ago, Dotsworthy said:

In real life he can see his team perform on the pitch, and also talk to Benzema daily and gauge his personality and how he responds to praise or criticism and decide where and when to do so. In real life Ferguson was a strict disciplinarian who had extremely high standards with everyone who played with Man United and the clout and personality to make players respect him. Except Eric Cantona, where he would mostly let him get away with anything because he felt that was the best way to motivate them.

We don't have that. We have an abstract version of this based on player ratings, stats and personalities. The line has to be somewhere. You presumably wouldn't praise him if he was the most in form player but averaged 6.53 in the last five games.

His average was 7.26

5 minutes ago, molsen said:

His average was 7.26

If a player has high levels of professionalism anything under 7.5 for training, form, performance they will tend to not agree, which is a bit arbitrary.

Edited by Dotsworthy

Basically i dont think we disagree here, so no point in continuing battering this. Whether its a "line" thats missing or something else doesnt matter to me. Point is that its totally hit and miss when interacting with players and that reactions are often way over the top. Its not "Psykopat Manager" this - show me a player in the real world that would consider leaving the club just because his manager tells him "well done im happy with your recent form"... come on... 

On 12/03/2023 at 00:51, Maviarab said:

That's your expert fix for an actual known issue acknowledged by Si themselves which they can't seem to fix?

Gotya...

Si...sign him up!

No thats a fix for me.  Its not an issue in my tactics 

Still enjoying this a lot.

But......the poor AI squad management with rotation (or rather lack of) makes the game far too easy at any level. Even before Christmas I'm running rings around them purely because their players are either knackered or injured.  IMO this really needs a look at.

5 hours ago, dunk105 said:

Still enjoying this a lot.

But......the poor AI squad management with rotation (or rather lack of) makes the game far too easy at any level. Even before Christmas I'm running rings around them purely because their players are either knackered or injured.  IMO this really needs a look at.

Can anyone at SI please explain how this works in the game?

- AI is favouring CA above PA

- AI rotates less than before

Now the CA issue is a one from before, but isn't increasing PA development a fix? This would make the game also more fun, if I remember regens in older FM's were much better attribute wise. F.e: strikers now are less complete, but excel at certain positions like advanced forward. I have a feeling this might be one of the causes why ingame wonderkids don't reach a certain CA. Did something change?

12 minutes ago, alian62 said:

Nope that's it . No more updates to the actual game . Onwards towards FM24 where the ridiculous cycle starts again . 

I hope Your wrong. There are some issues that seems to be easy to fix like too rarely rotating squads by SI

5 hours ago, Maviarab said:

Final update will just be latest transfers from windows that have closed.

How do you know? I've not read SI saying this. Not that I know anything else though, so you might be right, I'm just wondering if there has been confirmation.

4 hours ago, XaW said:

How do you know? I've not read SI saying this. Not that I know anything else though, so you might be right, I'm just wondering if there has been confirmation.

I'm guess myself and the other poster are saying this based on historically there is never a ME update after the March update.  I agree with you however there could be, historically it's very unlikely, whatever issues the game has now are unlikely to be resolved.

Edited by Maviarab

7 minutes ago, Maviarab said:

I'm guess myself and the other poster are saying this based on historically there is never a ME update after the March update.  I agree with you however there could be, historically it's very unlikely, whatever issues the game has now are unlikely to be resolved.

Please try to word it as your guess or opinion in the future, as you made it seem as it was a fact this time. Just to avoid people taking it at face value when skimming through for an answer.

Last year the "main winter update" was 24th of February and the "final winter update" 24th of March.

This year the "main winter Update" was 2nd of March, so a little bit later than last year.

So I guess there will be one more update end of March again.

But of course, I don't know. :)