*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

I never like schedules that end up like that, though it's pretty common when you're competing on all fronts.  Never like playing the same team multiple times in a row. Not really a situation where you want to instant result any either unless you've already won the two-legged tie in the first game.

I think it's a beautiful quirk of football. They could even have had a city league game in there too! Little moments within seasons like this really add to the immersion for me.

Also, I know it was a complaint around these parts last year that it was too easy to play one-touch tiki-taka football with technically-limited lower-league sides.  It was, that's definitely true.  And it's harder this year, mostly because every player just smashes the ball long as soon as they can. 

But there are a lot of high-technique wonder goals I'm seeingIn the 8th tier in England one of my strikers, with single-digit first touch, technique and flair took a pass coming in hard at waist height, flicked it with the back of his heel around his back, spun the defender and smashed in a volley with his weaker foot, like some sort of hybrid of the Bergkamp goal against Newcastle and the Henry volley against Man United.  My 10 first touch, 8 technique, 6 flair left back just one-touch controlled a hoofed clearance, flicked it into the air and curled in a perfect cross to the far post with his weak foot.  A couple games before that, I won a 4-3.  The goals included from a first-touch volleyed pass into the channel finished with a first-touch volley into the bottom corner; a chipped volleyed through ball to the striker, who took it down out of the air with his first touch, let the ball bounce, and chipped the keeper on the volley; and a cross finished with a leaping volley.  Like, man, there's a lot of volleyed goals happening right now. 

14 minutes ago, tropicsafc said:

I think it's a beautiful quirk of football. They could even have had a city league game in there too! Little moments within seasons like this really add to the immersion for me.

I think what got me is that it's four games out of five, and it's not the first time I've encountered a situation where you get drawn against the same team in both Cup competitions, likely with another game (league) close by in the schedule; in season one of my save I played Manchester United three times in quick succession in PL, FA Cup, and EFL Cup.

Sort of breaks the immersion for me tbh, it's happened so frequently across editions of FM.

Also, are penalties just...bad this year? When was the last time Harry Kane missed three spot kicks in a row? But guess what's happened to ol' Harry in my save today...

42 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Also, I know it was a complaint around these parts last year that it was too easy to play one-touch tiki-taka football with technically-limited lower-league sides.  It was, that's definitely true.  And it's harder this year, mostly because every player just smashes the ball long as soon as they can. 

But there are a lot of high-technique wonder goals I'm seeingIn the 8th tier in England one of my strikers, with single-digit first touch, technique and flair took a pass coming in hard at waist height, flicked it with the back of his heel around his back, spun the defender and smashed in a volley with his weaker foot, like some sort of hybrid of the Bergkamp goal against Newcastle and the Henry volley against Man United.  My 10 first touch, 8 technique, 6 flair left back just one-touch controlled a hoofed clearance, flicked it into the air and curled in a perfect cross to the far post with his weak foot.  A couple games before that, I won a 4-3.  The goals included from a first-touch volleyed pass into the channel finished with a first-touch volley into the bottom corner; a chipped volleyed through ball to the striker, who took it down out of the air with his first touch, let the ball bounce, and chipped the keeper on the volley; and a cross finished with a leaping volley.  Like, man, there's a lot of volleyed goals happening right now. 

It feels like a trend that has been going on for quite a while now,  where attributes appear to have less of an effect in the match engine than they used to in past versions of the game. 

This could be nostalgia on my part ofcourse

17 minutes ago, waldywaldy said:

It feels like a trend that has been going on for quite a while now,  where attributes appear to have less of an effect in the match engine than they used to in past versions of the game. 

This could be nostalgia on my part ofcourse

I wonder if it's about animations.  Maybe they've just added more high-end, so to speak, animations, so they get seen more often.

4 hours ago, duff33 said:

I think what got me is that it's four games out of five, and it's not the first time I've encountered a situation where you get drawn against the same team in both Cup competitions, likely with another game (league) close by in the schedule; in season one of my save I played Manchester United three times in quick succession in PL, FA Cup, and EFL Cup.

Sort of breaks the immersion for me tbh, it's happened so frequently across editions of FM.

Also, are penalties just...bad this year? When was the last time Harry Kane missed three spot kicks in a row? But guess what's happened to ol' Harry in my save today...

Growing up watching Arsenal at Highbury it happened a fair few times. We'd have a two-legged cup game with a league sandwiched in.

20 hours ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

I scored some screamers in my time playing football and I was nowhere near 8th tier standard 🤣 

vor 22 Stunden schrieb Sunstrikuuu:

That is not that impossible as players in the lower leagues should face less strong defending players and have more time to act and even i got a 1-touch right at times in my real football games and scored screamers - it was random luck bit it did happen.

Lower league football should first and foremost look slower than top tier football imho and ofc some leagues would be dominated by pyiscal challenges and others be of the more technical ballplay but that is a question you can not solely bind to the tier of football but to the general football culture and style and what opponents you face.

35 minutes ago, Etebaer said:

That is not that impossible as players in the lower leagues should face less strong defending players and have more time to act and even i got a 1-touch right at times in my real football games and scored screamers - it was random luck bit it did happen.

Lower league football should first and foremost look slower than top tier football imho and ofc some leagues would be dominated by pyiscal challenges and others be of the more technical ballplay but that is a question you can not solely bind to the tier of football but to the general football culture and style and what opponents you face.

3 hours ago, Jonthedon26 said:

I scored some screamers in my time playing football and I was nowhere near 8th tier standard 🤣 

Yeah, but they're not screamers, or at least not always.  They're immaculately technical goals -- players bringing the ball out of the air like Bergkamp, juggling it in the air before chipping the keeper.  I'm not talking about a ball dropping to someone who puts his foot through it.  The moves I'm talking about have multiple steps, like one- or two-touch passing moves from back to front where every pass is on the volley or half-volley.

Obviously these things can happen in lower leagues.  But what you wouldn't expect is for the works team of an auto assembly plant to score a dozen Puskas Award contenders in a single calendar year.

42 minutes ago, Mitza said:

I am so sick of the clauses that are hard coded in whenever you sign youngsters, like: 

Base salary: 500k per year

Salary after 10 games: 1.2 mil per year

Salary after 20 games: 2 mil per year

It's ridiculous, I'm signing a 4th choice CB that happens to be 20 and he's asking for 5 mil per year salary, with 9 mil salary after 20 games PLUS 10% yearly increase, and it's almost impossible to negotiate those down without increasing the base wage. That's almost 100% up in 20 games, which you can easily achieve in a season in a top league. Negotiations break down, he signs for another club for 2.3 mil a year and none of the other clauses in.

Oh but you see there are a lot of possible reasons why he might prefer to sign with another team, like it is closer to his home [it's not], it has more of his friends [it doesn't], the move will financially benefit his family [it's for less money], he will receive more playing time [it's lower], their performance in the league is amazing [they're mid-table and you're in the top four], and he's looking forward to playing in Europe [it's the Europa League and you're in the Champions League]. 

1) The game is getting more and more cpu intensive. I have a gaming laptop barely 18 months old, yet struggles on 5 or 6 league setup. That's no good.

2) Most of the detail doesn't add anything to the game. The game just feels bloated, slow and like doing a job.

3) As above, alot of the fun seems to have evaporated for realism. The game is so slow, detailed, that it just doesn't feel fun anymore.

4) The match engine feels too hard compared to other versions. 

It's the first time I've actually regretted buying it. It feels unplayable. 

Do you play with your laptop via battery or is it connected to a power socket?

In battery mode they are much slower but when connected to a socket you should see on such a young model quite a real good performance!

Maybe you can ease up some energy saving settings to get more performance...

35 minutes ago, ElJuanvito said:

Tap up one of your key players before a big match, that actually sounds realistic.

As an Arsenal fan who had to deal with what felt like a decade of Xavi Hernandez running his fat mouth about Cesc's Barcelona DNA, the only surprise is that it's not Barca doing the tapping-up.

2 hours ago, Etebaer said:

Do you play with your laptop via battery or is it connected to a power socket?

In battery mode they are much slower but when connected to a socket you should see on such a young model quite a real good performance!

Maybe you can ease up some energy saving settings to get more performance...

Yup, my bad. Had battery in reduced power. switched to performance mode and made a difference.

6 hours ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Oh but you see there are a lot of possible reasons why he might prefer to sign with another team, like it is closer to his home [it's not], it has more of his friends [it doesn't], the move will financially benefit his family [it's for less money], he will receive more playing time [it's lower], their performance in the league is amazing [they're mid-table and you're in the top four], and he's looking forward to playing in Europe [it's the Europa League and you're in the Champions League]. 

Maybe the commute to the other team is better.

I do love the transfer module's contrary algorithms ...

Young player promoted to 1st team so I can give them league experience - loan offer after loan offer all through the transfer window

Young player offered out for loan - option 1 *tumbleweed*

Young player offered out for loan -option 2 lowball transfer offers

Established player offered out for loan - *tumbleweed*

Established player offered for sale - loan offers for £0

High potential young player in the U18s or U21s not offered out at all - lowball transfer offer after lowball transfer offer.

OK, I'm exaggerating for effect, but it seems that things are deliberately set up to avoid giving you the type of player movement you are trying to achieve when you have put someone up for loan or transfer and instead generate a ton of emails for movements you don't want to make. I seem to spend most of every transfer window rejecting deals, not making them.

Edited by rp1966

On 07/02/2023 at 19:59, Mitza said:

Liverpool got some interesting priorities on the day of our UCL Final match

I once did something similar in a previous save.  Had my eye on a player, and they were undoubtedly the jewel in the opposition's crown ahead of the final.  Spent a week trying bids and unsettling him, and come the final he had an absolutely stinking game, and we won easily,  Signed him a few days later for a lot less than I otherwise would have.  Of course, no doubt that's not what the AI is doing here, but still.

1 ora fa, kepz ha scritto:

An entire month of home matches to start the season...

image.png.afb79e064d6f1848ab7606d6e53500fb.png

...with a months-worth of away days to end it.

image.thumb.png.20e6f39d5af1f956799bfebbdb91f266.png

not sure about the MLS, but clubs in other professional leagues in the USA regularly play long periods home and away. it is a big country. that being said, it does sound too much.

Not a real FM buff, just buy it and play it, but felt I needed to give some feedback on this year.

For the first time, the match engine feels really random. Like, my team cannot put together a good run, there is absolutely no knowing how any given game will do. I can put out my best squad against a side a division below and lose 3-0. I can put out my reserves against the league leaders and win 3-0. It really does feel that random, I feel like I have less control about what happens on pitch than ever.

I've done some Googling and it says that AI opponents are now more reactive to the way you play, but I don't see that, at least not in what they're actually doing in terms of tactics and instructions. 

I have to ask as well, cos I don't know, but does the AI 'cheat'? Like, I feel like my team have a LOT of shots on target but score very few, I've got top quality strikers missing umpteen one-on-ones then the opposition score from their first corner of the game. Maybe that's on me somehow, it does feel a bit rigged against you at times, like the engine is compensating for you creating too many chances by reducing your chances of scoring. Is there any truth in that or am I just putting two and two together and getting four?

22 minutes ago, Chooxen said:

I have to ask as well, cos I don't know, but does the AI 'cheat'? Like, I feel like my team have a LOT of shots on target but score very few, I've got top quality strikers missing umpteen one-on-ones then the opposition score from their first corner of the game. Maybe that's on me somehow, it does feel a bit rigged against you at times, like the engine is compensating for you creating too many chances by reducing your chances of scoring. Is there any truth in that or am I just putting two and two together and getting four?

It doesn't. The ME cannot distinguish between human and AI.

xG (not just the total in isolation!) can be useful in this situation as it can show the quality of chances you're creating and conceding.

17 minutes ago, Chooxen said:

Not a real FM buff, just buy it and play it, but felt I needed to give some feedback on this year.

For the first time, the match engine feels really random. Like, my team cannot put together a good run, there is absolutely no knowing how any given game will do. I can put out my best squad against a side a division below and lose 3-0. I can put out my reserves against the league leaders and win 3-0. It really does feel that random, I feel like I have less control about what happens on pitch than ever.

I've done some Googling and it says that AI opponents are now more reactive to the way you play, but I don't see that, at least not in what they're actually doing in terms of tactics and instructions. 

How many clear cut chances are you creating? Try turning down your mentality one notch. Or add work ball into box. There are lots of things to tweak to remedy your specific situation.

Just now, HUNT3R said:

It doesn't. The ME cannot distinguish between human and AI.

Alright, that's fair enough.

I suppose my feedback would be this, then.

If what I'm experiencing is a result of the AI responding more intelligently to what I am doing, I would prefer it responded less intelligently.

The fun part of the game for me is really building the team, that's why I play the game. I'm not actually a football manager and I don't have the skillset to actually manage a football team. In previous iterations, I could just plug in the top-rated tactic on fmscout and literally just alter mentality up and down depending on how good the other team were. Few shouts, few subs, occasional tweak of instructions, and that seemed to be good enough. That's how I want to play, so if you can just revert back to whatever you were doing circa FM21 I'd be very grateful.

I can’t believe this problem with headers has been allowed to go on for so long now. It effectively renders smaller attackers useless as it severally effects their match rating. My team, who are on the shorter side have been getting shocking ratings as a result. Losing 50 aerial duels per match (with play through the middle, cross less often, narrow). I really hope this is addressed in the next update. It’s extremely frustrating. 

1 hour ago, angelo994 said:

I can’t believe this problem with headers has been allowed to go on for so long now. It effectively renders smaller attackers useless as it severally effects their match rating. My team, who are on the shorter side have been getting shocking ratings as a result. Losing 50 aerial duels per match (with play through the middle, cross less often, narrow). I really hope this is addressed in the next update. It’s extremely frustrating. 

Extremely fast strikers are also very good. But tall, fast, strong strikers (Haaland) are just endgame at this point.

14 minutes ago, blejdek said:

What the heck, 4 matches in 10 days ?? 2 of those matches are even away, is this some kind of bug or is this a normal occurance ? 

wtf.png

That's football around new years in the PL. So no, obviously not a bug.

7 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

not sure about the MLS, but clubs in other professional leagues in the USA regularly play long periods home and away. it is a big country. that being said, it does sound too much.

It’s not like San Antonio where the Spurs need to accommodate a rodeo, and even then it isn’t for a full month, this is very uncommon for MLS. 

A new graphic would be nice. No one will suffer if every 5-6 years AI releases any changes to the side panels, home screen or tabs. Regardless of what's new or improved ME, the mind just gets tired of seeing practically the same graphics every year.

59 minutes ago, Polando said:
A new graphic would be nice. No one will suffer if every 5-6 years AI releases any changes to the side panels, home screen or tabs. Regardless of what's new or improved ME, the mind just gets tired of seeing practically the same graphics every year.

Even though I agree with you, I have no idea why you write like this, what are you, SI, to add unnecessary clicking/scrolling just to read your comment.

( and you even complained about too much clicking before )

57 minuti fa, Marko1989 ha scritto:

Even though I agree with you, I have no idea why you write like this, what are you, SI, to add unnecessary clicking/scrolling just to read your comment.

it is meta! hats off if it was intentional.

2 hours ago, Marko1989 said:

It's because the board allows for copy/paste of formatting. So the user has probably used a translator and then it has that format on the page. It's quite nice if you want to copy links or other similar stuff, but also kind of janky for very strange formatting. I know I've removed a few ones that had a font size of about a million before and made the page just about unreadable, so this one is not that bad.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

It's because the board allows for copy/paste of formatting. So the user has probably used a translator and then it has that format on the page. It's quite nice if you want to copy links or other similar stuff, but also kind of janky for very strange formatting. I know I've removed a few ones that had a font size of about a million before and made the page just about unreadable, so this one is not that bad.

Oh, okay, I didn't mean to offend the guy, I just wanted to make a little joke, but what you say makes sense :)

9 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

Oh, okay, I didn't mean to offend the guy, I just wanted to make a little joke, but what you say makes sense :)

Yeah, no worries :) 

A thing that's weird is that I often see players whose body language is "Would have preferred to stay on the bench", even when they're coming on in close games or with significant amounts of time remaining.  But I've never seen a player come on really motivated to make an impression, even when they're a squad player who could, with a good performance, jump up the hierarchy into the first eleven.

6 hours ago, blejdek said:

What the heck, 4 matches in 10 days ?? 2 of those matches are even away, is this some kind of bug or is this a normal occurance ? 

wtf.png

Brazil is like that.  And back in the day when the Coup De Ligue was was part of French Football, if you were a very good team you could play Ligue 1 games, Coup de Ligue, Coup de France, and European games in the same month.  And if you won it all the year before there was the club world Championship as well.  I think my record was nine games in the month of January, I'd have to go back and check though.

12 hours ago, Jellico73 said:

Brazil is like that.  And back in the day when the Coup De Ligue was was part of French Football, if you were a very good team you could play Ligue 1 games, Coup de Ligue, Coup de France, and European games in the same month.  And if you won it all the year before there was the club world Championship as well.  I think my record was nine games in the month of January, I'd have to go back and check though.

I have 9 matches too in just 28 days, from 26th of december to 24 of january. Does this happen in real life in Premier league ??? Dont think so.

29 minutes ago, blejdek said:

I have 9 matches too in just 28 days, from 26th of december to 24 of january. Does this happen in real life in Premier league ??? Dont think so.

Actually it does. Last season Liverpool had 10 matches from Dec 1st to Jan 8th.  Man City had 9 matches from Dec 17th to Jan 19th. Around newyears the schedule are crazy in England...

There's a big problem with players (especially defenders and defensive midfielders) losing the ball too easily in their own half. In almost EVERY game, regardless of instructions, there's at least one or two such situations. Player receives the ball and stands  still or tries to move around veeeery slowly - just like he's waiting for the tackle. It's extremely annoying and in my case it's worse after last update. Unfortunately on Bugs forum I found a thread, where someone from SI wrote, that they have improved it. Well, it's hard to call it improvement. 

6 hours ago, blejdek said:

Does this happen in real life in Premier league ??? Dont think so.

Yes it does.  And in a lot of other Leagues as well, especially if you are playing additional games in Europes in addition to your countries league and cup games.

Haven’t been on here much so apologies if this is a known issue, but has anyone been noticing an insane amount of blocks? Specifically, blocked shots from silly angles that weirdly loop up for the GK to catch? Doing my head in!