*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

However, when I look at the match engine, it's always the timing for the players to shoot, but they don't shoot and hit one more time and get blocked.

I get so frustrated every time I see this.

The match engine design was so weird.

And does it make sense for a player whose main foot is left foot to shoot and cross with only his right foot?

When I dribble the ball, I hit it with my right foot and cross it with my right foot.

I don't think it will change even if I report a bug trigger (I'm not sure if it will be fixed because the match engine is very sensitive and difficult, si the match engine team will definitely respond with this comment), and I just hope it changes drastically in fm24..

If fm24 advertises things like squad planner or manager customization (now you can wear an electronic watch!!!), I won't buy it again.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, there has been a very nice evolution in the me, very smooth, good details included during any match. No frustration here with player behavior. However, for a product that presents itself as a simulator of real life football, there is a long road ahead: in my experience, managing fcporto, its completely unrealistic to have almost every match more than 25-30 shots, ending season with 130-140 goals, winning ucl with the current club squad. And no, I don't use an exploit tactic, just a simple 442 (recreating Sergio Conceição model). What I find to have decrease in recent years is player's ability to press the opponent, currently they seem to make a zonal (more or less) tight marking. Also, there is a lack of information (by SI? Forum mods?) about the player's hard coded options regarding pressing. If the team is set to press more, why on earth are forwards and wingers hard coded to press less often????? Resuming, nice fm23, good evolution after fm21 and 22, mostly regarding the me. As for the rest, most changes seems UI tweaks that most customers couldn't care less, when there seems to be lack of investment in the tactical side of the game. 

7 hours ago, kepz said:

How do we still have matches with kit clashes and GK kits that blend with the outfield kits in FM 2023? Seems like a pretty basic thing to avoid. 

Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 5.30.42 PM.png

No excuse for the goalkeepers. However good the algorithm I would still expect to see some kit clashes related to striped kits as combinations that are fine IRL can be very difficult to distinguish at FM resolutions.  However, as has been suggested many, many times in relation to kit clashes, just let the player judge it for themselves and select the kit being used before going into the game. 

why cant you play wingers high and wide in fm23 ?  Its the same thing in the past few versions , meanwhile in real life Guardiola plays like this for half a decade. 

They are either too deep or move inside too early and basically clog the penalty box. 

Inverted winger is basically a forward because he moves into the penalty box way too early which means you have no width .  Winger on attack duty comes way too deep in possession instead of staying high and wide which makes him pointless. 

PLEASE fix the issue that staff go on courses despite you being in control of deciding who needs to takes them. This breaks LLM saves as you're spending money you dont have on coaches you're not gonna keep.

I dont understand how you could have broken the staff section so badly. youth Coaches wont organise friendlies either despite them being told to do so

Edited by eXistenZ

23 hours ago, Choi seung won said:

However, when I look at the match engine, it's always the timing for the players to shoot, but they don't shoot and hit one more time and get blocked.

I get so frustrated every time I see this.

The match engine design was so weird.

And does it make sense for a player whose main foot is left foot to shoot and cross with only his right foot?

When I dribble the ball, I hit it with my right foot and cross it with my right foot.

I don't think it will change even if I report a bug trigger (I'm not sure if it will be fixed because the match engine is very sensitive and difficult, si the match engine team will definitely respond with this comment), and I just hope it changes drastically in fm24..

If fm24 advertises things like squad planner or manager customization (now you can wear an electronic watch!!!), I won't buy it again.

To add to this, when shots get blocked the majority of the time the ball loops up into the air, going either into the gks hands or over the bar for a corner. We need a bit of variety, has anyone ever seen a shot nick of a defender straight out for a corner? Or a shot straight into a defender and the ball rebounding somewhere on the pitch? 

I won't say it is the  worst FM ever but it is among the top.

Every game, I am dominating, have a lot of shots, high xGs but still manage to score less then my xGs but my oponnents scoring from one shot is unbelieveble.

Wide players won't cross the ball at all with their weak foot. They always stop the ball and backpass to the defence.

I am loving to see a goal from a square pass which happens rarely, almost never!

And that flickering screen during match, lovely!!!

Here are some examples, which happened to me in my last 10 games.

1.PNG.1366b670d3d6d06c406900e991273a5a.PNG

Well, they had TWO shots on target..

2.PNG.1b110362f6e6911fea7f24239a857f54.PNG

They hadn't a single shot until the goal..

3.PNG.b0223067203d4bbba1ea4f70e5fed2d3.PNG

I won the game, but still they scored from two shots on target..

4.PNG.e6113587cffe7e6dc30a9f56524da542.PNG

Again, two shots and they have a goal.

5.PNG.635fc9a65ec7a7028ba617fee483a999.PNG

Okay, this can happen, but still from 2,33 xG not scoring once, is little frustrating..

14 minutes ago, Bakiano said:

Here are some examples, which happened to me in my last 10 games.

1.PNG.1366b670d3d6d06c406900e991273a5a.PNG

Well, they had TWO shots on target..

2.PNG.1b110362f6e6911fea7f24239a857f54.PNG

They hadn't a single shot until the goal..

3.PNG.b0223067203d4bbba1ea4f70e5fed2d3.PNG

I won the game, but still they scored from two shots on target..

4.PNG.e6113587cffe7e6dc30a9f56524da542.PNG

Again, two shots and they have a goal.

5.PNG.635fc9a65ec7a7028ba617fee483a999.PNG

Okay, this can happen, but still from 2,33 xG not scoring once, is little frustrating..

The xG is only an indication of the quality of chances you’re getting. You can create very good chances and still not score. However, I think finishing is and has always been weird in FM because it’s about the end result for example there was the period where 1v1 finishing was atrocious but the reseda so for that is because it’s very easy to create 1v1 chances so if most of those she’ shots went in most of the games will be high scoring.

On 29/12/2022 at 18:59, dabest said:

Suprised there isn't any mention of the shooting. Is it just me that sees the majority of shots go way over the bar?

This is one of the few things that I'm actually fine with this year. I'd rather see a bunch of shots go wide or over the bar than have them unrealistically hit the bar 10 times a game or just end up right in the keeper's hands.

2 hours ago, Bakiano said:

Keep in mind that xG only takes into consideration where on the pitch the shots come FROM. It doesn't measure how close they come to the net (or even if they're on target).

Conceding the first shot on target from the opposition in 60-70% of games just breaks me.

I've done a lot of digging in to whether or not it is tactical, but I can't fathom a rhyme or reason for it. It usually shots with an XG below 0.1, so not like massive high percentage chances I'm giving away.

It's just so infuriating. Dominate games with 60-70% possession, have 4-5x more XG accumulated, have way more shots on target to, if I'm lucky, be holding out for a 2-1 win. 

Sceenshot below is a standard game for me. Also, I have have low tempo and 'work ball in to box on', so not sure how I can create higher quality chances.

Coupled with the registration issues SI haven't bothered to sort, the perennial woodwork issue, inconsistent relationships (see screenshot of my goalkeeper who opposes me on the right of the screen but I'm one of his favoured personnel on the left?!?!) means this is probably pound for pound the worst version of FM I've ever played.

image.thumb.png.a7ce8afe6d68921c1b65ff282fd704c2.png

image.thumb.png.8b5ad3bbb1037915db575827714556bd.png

image.thumb.png.d20aa9df4fcdb261730c875d35aab7bd.png

Edited by XanderMD53

On 29/12/2022 at 07:57, Choi seung won said:

SI's match team seems to be making a match engine that is different from the soccer trend.

In modern football, the influence of both wing forwards is very strong.

If you look at major big clubs, there are many cases where both wing forwards score higher than strikers.

However, looking at fm22,23, the influence of wing forwards (inside forwards, inverted wingers) is gradually decreasing.

In particular, the most recent match engine update turned both wingers into passing midfielders.

No dribbling, no daring breakthroughs, no shooting. It's just a back pass, a cross, hitting the end line and running.

increasingly disappointing.

No matter how many times I raise a problem in the bug trigger, it doesn't listen at all.

Small sample size on this, but I am using a 4-3-3 this season. So far from open play my:

1. Strikers have 7 goals + 0 assists
  2. Wide forwards have 1 goal + 7 assists
  3. Central midfielders have 4 goals + 3 assists

Even with attack duties, IF or IW roles, my wide forwards are facilitators, even moreso than my central midfielders. It's fun to watch and does look similar to the style of play I see from some real-life teams, but it is frustrating to feel like I can't really flip the script and get my lethal finishing wide forward to score on a regular basis.

2 hours ago, Overmars said:

Small sample size on this, but I am using a 4-3-3 this season. So far from open play my:

1. Strikers have 7 goals + 0 assists
  2. Wide forwards have 1 goal + 7 assists
  3. Central midfielders have 4 goals + 3 assists

Even with attack duties, IF or IW roles, my wide forwards are facilitators, even moreso than my central midfielders. It's fun to watch and does look similar to the style of play I see from some real-life teams, but it is frustrating to feel like I can't really flip the script and get my lethal finishing wide forward to score on a regular basis.

As you say, it's a small sample size. I'd be interested to see what the numbers look like at the end of the season. And also what the numbers look like for other teams that play similar systems.

One of the criticisms I've seen leveled on this thread is the unrealistic manner in which AI-managed teams operate. I'm not taking a position in this, but I do have one piece of data to offer: in my journeyman save, I just left Santos FC to take the managing position at Celta de Vigo (a side I managed for six seasons in FM21). As soon as I got there, I did a complete review of their roster from senior squad down to U-19. I was stunned to find not a single DL in the entire organization. Not at the senior level, not with the B-team, not with the C-team, and not at U-19. Not a single DL to be found at any level with any level of ability. What professional organization allows this to happen in real life? And how does the AI allow this to happen?

2 hours ago, XanderMD53 said:

Conceding the first shot on target from the opposition in 60-70% of games just breaks me.

I've done a lot of digging in to whether or not it is tactical, but I can't fathom a rhyme or reason for it. It usually shots with an XG below 0.1, so not like massive high percentage chances I'm giving away.

It's just so infuriating. Dominate games with 60-70% possession, have 4-5x more XG accumulated, have way more shots on target to, if I'm lucky, be holding out for a 2-1 win. 

Sceenshot below is a standard game for me. Also, I have have low tempo and 'work ball in to box on', so not sure how I can create higher quality chances.

Coupled with the registration issues SI haven't bothered to sort, the perennial woodwork issue, inconsistent relationships (see screenshot of my goalkeeper who opposes me on the right of the screen but I'm one of his favoured personnel on the left?!?!) means this is probably pound for pound the worst version of FM I've ever played.

image.thumb.png.a7ce8afe6d68921c1b65ff282fd704c2.png

image.thumb.png.8b5ad3bbb1037915db575827714556bd.png

image.thumb.png.d20aa9df4fcdb261730c875d35aab7bd.png

Unfortunately I have to agree - it went from being one of the most promising MEs, to probably the worst I've played in a very long time. Appreciate it's not an easy job to attain the perfect balance, but both engines to an extent are two different extremes - surely something in the middle can be found to allow possession football with the greater tactical variety that existed in the first ME, and of course tidying up the current defensive flaws that still clearly exist whilst making it more realistic relative to the player's skill level.

Achieve this balance, and I think the game will be a lot more fun to play again for a greater number of FM players.

So, its already 2023...

Well, i still have not played enough and not high tier enough to have any criticism about the tactical side of the match engine.

I rarely see stupid errors and usually they are bcs of the team or player cracking mentaly and doing stupid stuff.

I still have not run into exhaustion isses aside of probably 1 match that was the 3rd match in 5 days where i stood on chance with little quality to substitute tired marked players.

All in all i am quite happy so far!

The 3d game presentation is nothing short of sprectacular, with so much better smoothness and variety in the ballplay that looks so much more natural now.

I had very recently a fantastic attack move when my CMa slipped through a gap in between the CBs and the mildy high through ball passed to him came down at his back and he heeled it over himself to catch it with his chest to let it drop down to his feet all in one fluid move to do the shot while the ball was still in the air (sadly he missed and the ball went over the left triangle).

Also the little variety of dances after scoring gives more life to the game.

I really dont feel you need FIFA level of grafics as long you achieve that with the means you have and keep the game available for a broad range of Hardware.

Honestly is FM one of the games that uses the least energy and as long term game with energy prices soaring almost 60%-100%  and no sign of relief gaming on low energy devices will  become more prominent as inflation leaves less in the pocket overall.

I like the Stadiums - some say they change to little per year but in germany we have Stadiums that have not changed for the last 50yrs and if any the decay of old Stadiums is not visualized enough!

I dislike the trend to dark mode UI only, an equivalent light mode should not be that hard as some Mods have trouble with UI scaling!, pls bring back UI light mode!

Happy New Year!

Edited by Etebaer

I just need to re-iterate how infuriating this ME is with the xG. As pointed out with various other posters, the amount of times I've lost or drew games when I've dominated with shots & shots on target and they score with their only shot and is below a 0.7xG is just over the top.

Even when I win games, I'm winning 2-1 or in some cases 5-3, and my xG is 3+ and the ai's is under 1.00.

I'm not saying this shouldn't happen, as it happens in RL - it's how often it happens on FM. It's almost every single game and this is across various successful saves with various different formations/tactics used.

It's almost like the ME just needs to have drama in the games for the sake of it. Totally unenjoyable to play, even when I'm winning. 

XG - what is it worth for?

XG only works if you have the statistically average players on both the attacking and defending side.

If a player is weak at headers and it comes to a chance with a header the average XG will be shown for that chance but it makes not up for the inability of the attacking player thus it over-XGs.

Or if the defender is much stronger than average an average striker will have shown a better XG than in real.

XG only works when you count in each individual players that has an act in that occuring XG and apply modifiers based on them.

I never look at XG, i look at the 3D match and how good i estimate the chance was and act accordingly and atm i exceed XG by more than 2 in scoring and conecede at most half the XG shown against me.

What is a statistic that inacurate more than a toy for mindplays?

Edited by Etebaer

6 hours ago, Etebaer said:

XG - what is it worth for?

XG only works if you have the statistically average players on both the attacking and defending side.

If a player is weak at headers and it comes to a chance with a header the average XG will be shown for that chance but it makes not up for the inability of the attacking player thus it over-XGs.

Or if the defender is much stronger than average an average striker will have shown a better XG than in real.

XG only works when you count in each individual players that has an act in that occuring XG and apply modifiers based on them.

I never look at XG, i look at the 3D match and how good i estimate the chance was and act accordingly and atm i exceed XG by more than 2 in scoring and conecede at most half the XG shown against me.

What is a statistic that inacurate more than a toy for mindplays?

I get what you’re saying, but even if we forget xG and simply look at stats, their still seems to be an awful lot of “smash and grab” results in this years edition.

Also the amount of AI teams that play with 6-7 players in their own half is ridiculous and simply over the top in my opinion but that’s another thing.

My point isn’t that these games shouldn’t happen, they just seem to happen far too often in this years ME. Everything just seems to be a drama, high scoring games with low xG/shots in general, high amount of yellow cards and in turn red cards, games with 2-3 disallowed goals etc.

The ME this year for me just takes away the believability of the game. It’s so tedious watching the same ridiculous game happen again and again and I say this in the middle of a very successful save.

For me, it really is the worst ME for many of years, if not THE worst. Hopefully the patch can bring back some of the promise the ME had originally during the beta phase. 

Finding the new scouting a bit scatty this year, I've watched a few YouTube videos to see how others do it but an example below of my scout going out to find talented UK-based 15-18 year olds, and in 6 months for Newcastle United he's found one D-rated player. Doesn't seem right to me.

Either he's rubbish at his job (which his attributes suggest not), something isn't right, or I'm doing something wrong...

image.thumb.png.466b2c076add7cb64b4fe8b232495f2a.png

I've got 19 scouts all set up searching different areas of the world, some are returning amazing results in terms of breadth of scope, but a couple return next to nothing. I'm just not having he can only find one D-rated under-18 in the UK.

Edited by stevemc

Seen this happen a couple of times now, so thought it worth flagging as feedback - I know it's football, and it happens but it's infuriating that it happens too frequently for my liking, especially at the highest level of the game.

Here we have a world-class goalkeeper Diogo Costa with his 15 passing and 16 decisions, in the 91st minute, protecting a 2-1 lead in a title match, completely ignoring my instructions to play a risky pass as Lukaku is cutting off the passing lane - costing a goal.

Absolute stupidity to try that pass from that position for a player of his quality.

image.thumb.png.b043fd4ceeec3d8fd16f3cdf9451835e.png

image.png.13578b1d8bbc6d90a6b926c4485eab18.png

image.thumb.png.cb9acbcfdf9cd06394545bb15bf20387.png

I think the influence of the mental state of a player/team is bigger this year than b4 and star players tend to break out of the norm if given the right roles and right circumstances.

What i want to say is the match engine is more critical in reacting than ever and its probably a "runaway" like problem where results start to differ from the expectations by a big margin when everything comes together.

I also noticed the tendency of the AI to play with 7 players in the defensive positions and it makes them no more successfull it seems - mabey its to shake up the things a little?

The final patch is still to come so there is still a chance SI manages to improve things as they gain experience and data with this iteration of the game.

If we will like it is another question...

Edited by Etebaer

vor 14 Stunden schrieb glenjamin:

No matter where in the world you're playing the back drop remains like something from Yorkshire or Manchester. Going to amateur sides and their stadium looking like it holds 15,000 when in reality they don't have an all seater stadium and the attendance is 300. 

This i can say is a databse issue, as i start allways with low league clubs and there are stadium that look like they are small and have no room for more than a few people.

I guess you need either a data researcher make a database input or mod it yourself but the really small stadiums are in the game!

Edited by Etebaer

The conclusion that I've been getting from these threads, reading the FMG subreddit, and other various forums discussing the series is that this year's game is broken from top to bottom in every aspect and it's going to take more than a year's cycle to save.

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Do we know when it's due?

Probably the same time it is every year.

32 minutes ago, Gum said:

The conclusion that I've been getting from these threads, reading the FMG subreddit,

I'm surprised to hear that.  The FMG subreddit seems pretty positive.  Maybe not as happy as it is most years, but it's consistently very high on the games.  Not a lot of griping I can see.

Edited by Sunstrikuuu

8 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

The FMG subreddit seems pretty positive.

More than most places, yes, but there's a lot of lowly upvoted FM shenanigans being posted there that I see quite often. Two of the biggest issues this year to me seem to be the match engine and interactions.

What i would like  in regard to the supporters feedback in the club vision part that if you grow from a low league low visitor club to a bigger more visitor club is that obviously your club would attract visitors that over time may become supporters that share your vision of football instead of fighting it.

It makes little sense that the supprting fans grow in number when they dont share the apreciaton for the football the club plays yet i allways dissatisfy the supporters in regard that i am deemed not to play direct counter football (which i disagree - i do play it but not all the time though situationally).

They like the entertainement value and success though.

But as i said, a club growing the number of visitors during its way through the leagues up to the top tier football will necessarily grow the number of visitors that are pleased with especially the way a certain club plays.

Yet i have little indication this is happening.

Edited by Etebaer

6 hours ago, stevemc said:

Seen this happen a couple of times now, so thought it worth flagging as feedback - I know it's football, and it happens but it's infuriating that it happens too frequently for my liking, especially at the highest level of the game.

Here we have a world-class goalkeeper Diogo Costa with his 15 passing and 16 decisions, in the 91st minute, protecting a 2-1 lead in a title match, completely ignoring my instructions to play a risky pass as Lukaku is cutting off the passing lane - costing a goal.

Absolute stupidity to try that pass from that position for a player of his quality.

image.thumb.png.b043fd4ceeec3d8fd16f3cdf9451835e.png

image.png.13578b1d8bbc6d90a6b926c4485eab18.png

image.thumb.png.cb9acbcfdf9cd06394545bb15bf20387.png

The best Goalkeepers make can judgement errors . Seen it many times . USA  2015 Final..  Portland vs Columbus Crew for example (You-Tube it).  The Goalkeeper was one of the best in the USA . It cost them the game..  They dont always play to what their attributes are . It just mean there more likely too . Also as players get tired there concentration falls. So many reasons .

Also by selecting the distribution type doesn't mean that every time the player is going to do it . 

For me it shows that the players are not robots and do make errors . Harry Kane is rated highly as a penalty taker isn't he ? 

Edited by alian62

2 hours ago, Gum said:

The conclusion that I've been getting from these threads, reading the FMG subreddit, and other various forums discussing the series is that this year's game is broken from top to bottom in every aspect...

I think this is a major reach. Yes, there are issues with the ME and some of the other features (e.g. player interaction), but the game is far from unplayable. I suggest checking out Cleon's update of his Art of Possession for a more positive take on FM23, including some excellent tactical suggestions and the areas in which the ME has improved. 

On 31/12/2022 at 18:34, gunnerfan said:

As you say, it's a small sample size. I'd be interested to see what the numbers look like at the end of the season. And also what the numbers look like for other teams that play similar systems.

I am about halfway into the Eredivisie season, so I tabulated the goals scored of every 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 team to see the distribution of goals among the ST, AML, and AMR positions:

1. ST = 200 total goals
  2. AML + AMR = 65 total goals

That's a heavy ST bias, with ST scoring at 6x the rate of an AML or AMR player. I don't think there is a good way of getting AML/AMR players to produce like Mane/Salah used to for Liverpool or Saka/Martinelli are for Arsenal.

Out of curiosity, are there any free-scoring CMs or AMs?  I assume the overall numbers are way lower because of all the AI teams playing 4-2DM-1CM-3 and similar formations, but there might be a team playing an attacking mid or CMa or a mezzala racking up numbers.  FM22 had similarly low-scoring wide players, and I had multiple seasons with central midfielders getting 20 goals in lower leagues.

6 hours ago, alian62 said:

The best Goalkeepers make can judgement errors . Seen it many times . USA  2015 Final..  Portland vs Columbus Crew for example (You-Tube it).  The Goalkeeper was one of the best in the USA . It cost them the game..  They dont always play to what their attributes are . It just mean there more likely too . Also as players get tired there concentration falls. So many reasons .

Also by selecting the distribution type doesn't mean that every time the player is going to do it . 

For me it shows that the players are not robots and do make errors . Harry Kane is rated highly as a penalty taker isn't he ? 

That's why I caveated my post with:

Seen this happen a couple of times now, so thought it worth flagging as feedback - I know it's football, and it happens but it's infuriating that it happens too frequently for my liking, especially at the highest level of the game.

It's the frequency of this type of event that infuriates me, see it too often, with the highest level of players.

I went back to play FM21 and I have to say that compared to FM23 I might prefer the FM21. The perfect ME for me is the FM21 ME with FM23 ball physics, animation, cross improvement, IW behaviour 

45 minutes ago, DarJ said:

I went back to play FM21 and I have to say that compared to FM23 I might prefer the FM21. The perfect ME for me is the FM21 ME with FM23 ball physics, animation, cross improvement, IW behaviour 

FM21 ME was extremely good - one of the things I most loved about it was that attacks felt like they played out naturally - the anticipation in the build up tended not to feel undermined when a miss happened; it felt right and anticipated 'surefire' chances trended to go in.  In FM22 (to a lesser extent) and in a very major way in FM23 it feels like you can see the strings being pulled - the modifier biases for home/away; game pressure; complacency etc.  It's especially noticeable in away games which feel consistently nerfed.  It's like they've overdone the application of the outside effects that are fed into the ME.  I would love to be able to turn all that stuff off just to see  what the ME is really capable of.  When the FM21 beta was introduced there was a bug that meant that morale effects were not being applied to the human team - the games under that scenario had the best attacking play of any FM ME ever.  It has pretty much embedded the thought that SI overcook all the external effects and undermine the ME in doing so.

Edited by rp1966