*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fëanáro Míriel said:

I'm not saying the first 2 is useless they still fix a lot of stuff but if there are big problems like wide players shooting from byline or a LOT of over the top balls for 1on1s or passing percentages being too high or IFs not cutting inside it does take until may. It's not unplayable before may but the significant improvments come with that third patch. If there were 2 more patches between may and the new release i would be happy tbh. And every game is complex, SI are hardly an indie company with not enough resources to keep working on the current title without delaying the next, i just find it weird that after all these years they still get away with releasing the last patch half a year before the next game comes out.

Im not trying to make you look foolish with this comment, but one thing I notice is that the more I think about issues with the engine the more I notice them.

The match engine in FM is a simulation of the beautiful game and it is never going to be perfect. For it to be absolutely perfect managers would probably need a super computer to run it.

There are going to be imperfections and little 'kinks' that are visible in each edition of FM. I just play the game as it is each edition.

I just think that the more people get hung up on unavoidable imperfections the more they make playing the game harder for that person.

Accept the game will have limitations, and that SI put in huge amount of effort to make as real a simulation as possible, and enjoy the game as many do.

I have issues with a lot of the UI and some choices but I can get past them to enjoy the wonderful game that FM is.

I do understand your concerns but positive playing is a great thing to achieve. Just enjoy the game for what it is at the time. 

24 minutes ago, TheArsenal63 said:

Not at all, young football fans are usually the FIFA crowd nowadays. I did caveat that. And people who play Rimworld who are not football fans are not playing football manager.

But people who play Rimworld who are football fans will probably like Football Manager.

Obviously FIFA is dominant, probably across all demographics, but FM still holds interest for football simulation fans regardless of age.

Like I said earlier, young people aren't idiots. There's plenty of interest for non mainstream games in those ages, let alone FM which regularly tops the sales charts. Its naive to think only older adults play it. 

Edited by dannyfc

2 minutes ago, anagain said:

, but one thing I notice is that the more I think about issues with the engine the more I notice them.

Which is why I generally take leave of the feedback thread not long after the full game comes out. It's absolutely the case that some users will only notice issues because they read about them on here. It's also how minor issues can end up snowballing until they have drowned under a wave of hyperbole. 

1 hour ago, TheArsenal63 said:

Not at all, young football fans are usually the FIFA crowd nowadays. I did caveat that. And people who play Rimworld who are not football fans are not playing football manager.

I really don't think you got my point. Have another guess and maybe I'll explain it afterwards.

I merely meant young people won't necessarily ignore a game because the graphics are not the strongest and that games like Rimworld are examples of how graphics aren't everything in making a game popular. I suspect Minecraft is a better example of a game that is not really known for outstanding graphics being popular with kids. 🤔

Edited by anagain

15 minutes ago, dannyfc said:

But people who play football fans will probably like Football Manager.

Obviously FIFA is dominant, probably across all demographics, but FM still holds interest for football simulation fans regardless of age.

Like I said earlier, young people aren't idiots. There's plenty of interest for non mainstream games in those ages, let alone FM which regularly tops the sales charts. Its naive to think only older adults play it. 

Coached an u15's team a few seasons back. Out of 17 football mad lads, only one of them played FM. The rest played FIFA and first person shooter games.

Edited by Lempicka
typo

1 minute ago, dannyfc said:

But people who play football fans will probably like Football Manager.

i definitely don't think it's just older generation, I never said that. My point is to attract the younger FOOTBALL fan crows, the overlap between young people who play video games AND are football fans usually means they are fans of FIFA.

If SI want to attract them, unfortunately they will have to up the graphics.

3 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

Coached a u15's team a few seasons back. Out of 17 football mad lads, only one of them played FM. The rest played FIFA and first person shooter games.

I agree there is more that needs to be done. There are aspects of the game that could be tidied up to be more appealing.

I just think having big stars at arguably Britain's biggest club in a trailer for FM has to be a positive start.

I think FM can be sold to a range of young people.

Are there problems, yes? FM probably needs a real strong online aspect to it, because I'm sure that's how a lot of kids play games these days.

I do think SI need to work hard on making the UI as user friendly as possible, but I also don't think young people will all be turned off by its current state.

Im just happy to see SI, and Sega as I'm sure they had a big role in grabbing Gundogan et Al, try this approach. 

Discussion on this can only be a good thing. 

18 dakika önce, anagain said:

Im not trying to make you look foolish with this comment, but one thing I notice is that the more I think about issues with the engine the more I notice them.

The match engine in FM is a simulation of the beautiful game and it is never going to be perfect. For it to be absolutely perfect managers would probably need a super computer to run it.

There are going to be imperfections and little 'kinks' that are visible in each edition of FM. I just play the game as it is each edition.

I just think that the more people get hung up on unavoidable imperfections the more they make playing the game harder for that person.

Accept the game will have limitations, and that SI put in huge amount of effort to make as real a simulation as possible, and enjoy the game as many do.

I have issues with a lot of the UI and some choices but I can get past them to enjoy the wonderful game that FM is.

I do understand your concerns but positive playing is a great thing to achieve. Just enjoy the game for what it is at the time. 

I love this game and enjoy it a lot. I don't need, want or expect a perfect engine either.  I just don't understand why they can't release a patch in late july for example, i guess i did seem a little salty but my point was the game kind of gets stale being the same for so long, a july-august update would go a long way in keeping things fresh for another 3-4 months until the next game comes out. Right now it feels like they abandon that years game half way through it, thats what i don't like.

6 minutes ago, anagain said:

I agree there is more that needs to be done. There are aspects of the game that could be tidied up to be more appealing.

I just think having big stars at arguably Britain's biggest club in a trailer for FM has to be a positive start.

I think FM can be sold to a range of young people.

Are there problems, yes? FM probably needs a real strong online aspect to it, because I'm sure that's how a lot of kids play games these days.

I do think SI need to work hard on making the UI as user friendly as possible, but I also don't think young people will all be turned off by its current state.

Im just happy to see SI, and Sega as I'm sure they had a big role in grabbing Gundogan et Al, try this approach. 

Discussion on this can only be a good thing. 

The UI is clean but more and more clicks are being added every year to do things that took less in previous years. So yeah, from a presentation view point - very nice, but not so much from a users perspective. 

1 minute ago, Fëanáro Míriel said:

I love this game and enjoy it a lot. I don't need, want or expect a perfect engine either.  I just don't understand why they can't release a patch in late july for example, i guess i did seem a little salty but my point was the game kind of gets stale being the same for so long, a july-august update would go a long way in keeping things fresh for another 3-4 months until the next game comes out. Right now it feels like they abandon that years game half way through it, thats what i don't like.

Agreed, an update every 4-6 months on average is not good enough. 

2 minutes ago, Fëanáro Míriel said:

Because the people who would be required to code the July/August patch will be neck-deep in working on the following version.

36 minutes ago, zachalxnder said:

Bizarre to release a game on the release day when it is almost over, no?

Imagine someone going out and buying the game from a shop, getting home with it, and then trying to play it and being told it's actually not out yet :lol:

24 minutes ago, TheArsenal63 said:

i definitely don't think it's just older generation, I never said that. My point is to attract the younger FOOTBALL fan crows, the overlap between young people who play video games AND are football fans usually means they are fans of FIFA.

If SI want to attract them, unfortunately they will have to up the graphics.

I have two thoughts on the graphics argument.

A. A few years ago when my nephew was about 13 ,i think, I offered to play some online games with him on his bd. The game he chose was a Minecraft style graphics zombie shooter called, I think, Unturned. Not what I expected. Kids will play a game they find fun.

B. FM is not likely to reach the graphics level of games like FIFA any time soon. For that reason FM would still fail on the graphics front if that was the only thing that might attract kids to the game.

The answer is to do other things to help the game appeal to youngsters. If they see their favourite player plays FM then they might think 'I'll try that".

But like I said before there will be more to do, and I'm not ignoring graphics. 

Edited by anagain

13 minutes ago, Fëanáro Míriel said:

Well, I suspect that by that time the focus at SI is on the next game. I agree they're not a tiny studio but to put huge work on two games, and especially one that is likely not taking money any more, is probably a lot to ask.

3 minutes ago, jim owen said:

Its release is advertised as 6pm GMT on the 8th November in the UK. which means any time in the next 19 hours would be early

..and yet, year on year, this exhibition of pent up entitlement is unleashed, as if releasing it at the stated time is unjust or unfair. Isn't the internet just wonderful? :D

Just now, CoffeeFueledCurmudgeon said:

..and yet, year on year, this exhibition of pent up entitlement is unleashed, as if releasing it at the stated time is unjust or unfair. Isn't the internet just wonderful? :D

Because there is precedent

1 minute ago, zachalxnder said:

Because there is precedent

SI can release at anytime that suits them between 00:00 and 23:59 on release day. Their primary concern will be what works best for the studio in terms of any zero day updates, and they also take into concern UK bandwidth usage (as that's their primary market and releases have been known to have a big enough impact on the UK internet to be noticeable at peak times). This idea of precedent isn't a thing. People need to be patient. 

Ok im done with the game. I bring in a target forward. tall 1.92cm lad, above average jumping reach strength and heading for the league i am in. He wins 16% of his headers in his first game. The poacher next to him who is 20cm shorter and hasd way overall worse stat won 70%

thats just the game going "lol dont matter what you try, we'll screw you over"

Ill be back in april when they fixed this match engine (maybe)