When are you too old for FM?

I didn't even know there WAS a Football Manager until I was in my late 40's. Picked up a used copy of FM '09 off eBay back in 2011, started buying each year since then, log about 1500-2000 hours a year. I really don't play any other computer games for more than a day or two. FM is nearly a 2nd full-time job. 

2 horas atrás, kevhamster disse:

I'm 40 and play many video games. If you find joy in something, why stop? 

Society seems to think video games are for kids, and that an adult playing should "grow up". I don't necessarily agree, but one sometimes doubts if other people may be right or not.

I’m 48. Started in 85 playing Kevin Toms original Football Manager. Then moved on to Football Director, The Double, Tracksuit Manager, CM1, CM93, CM Italia, right the way through to FM22.

Computer games and playing/watching football is what I’ve always done in my spare time. 

I used to think I’d go back to CM 01/02 when I retired.  But as long as I’m still enjoying FM I’ll continue to buy it.

48 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

I’m 48. Started in 85 playing Kevin Toms original Football Manager. Then moved on to Football Director, The Double, Tracksuit Manager, CM1, CM93, CM Italia, right the way through to FM22.

Computer games and playing/watching football is what I’ve always done in my spare time. 

I used to think I’d go back to CM 01/02 when I retired.  But as long as I’m still enjoying FM I’ll continue to buy it.

Tracksuit Manager. Now that was an absolute classic. The coloured bar going across the screen. It felt epic and it felt real. I'm not sure if it's held up over time, but it was sensational at the time.

9 hours ago, busngabb said:

Tracksuit Manager. Now that was an absolute classic. The coloured bar going across the screen. It felt epic and it felt real. I'm not sure if it's held up over time, but it was sensational at the time.

For me, The Double and Tracksuit Manager were game changers. TSM introduced full match text commentary. 

Tracksuit Manager ZX Spectrum Ready to play?

Absolutely never I hate this concept that you should grow out of things or be ashamed for liking something sad pathetic people with nothing better to do than judge others find beneath them. If you enjoy it keep doing it is my advice as a man in his early 40's who plays FM, collects Lego and makes youtube videos almost nobody watches, but hell I enjoy doing all 3 of those things so don't care.

1 hour ago, Lempicka said:

For me, The Double and Tracksuit Manager were game changers. TSM introduced full match text commentary. 

Tracksuit Manager ZX Spectrum Ready to play?

Haha I remember both of these so well. I didnt have a printer so I religiously copied every end of season deatil down on paper for The Double and sent it off. They had the grace to reply and tell me it was completed by someone else a lot earlier. As I recall the players were 100% out of proportion to the pitch but early football gaming paved the way for others

TSM - Thats was text p[assed yes and the delays gave a kind of suspense whilst watching it

1 hour ago, Murraymint said:

I'm 62 and played every version since the Domark Original. Unfortunately I doubt I'll be purchasing this version as I don't see any real changes. But you never know. 

At 57 im exactly the same as you have bought and played every single one. There will be plenty of changes you will enjoy in FM23 in addition to an updated db. If you look at the product cost, time spent playing and hours enjoying an FM game, then look at the cost of one night out on the pub its always a no brainer in my eyes :D

38 now and still loving every minute of playing. Just wished I could spend more time on it, with a girl, 2 little boys and a job now ;)

Got in touch with the game with CM Italia. What. A. Game.

championship-manager-italia_4.png

You're too bad if you neglect your kids to play otherwise play away. I can only really play the slimmed down versions as I simply haven't the time or patience to slowly work my way through a full fat save.

Lots of older players are probably looking at spreadsheets all day. Might as well make a hobby of one.

You ar never too old to play a game you love, I started with CM2 (I was inspired after seeing someone playing the original CM but the second edition was new out so I got that) been playign ever since now 53 and hop to have a load more years in me.   

39 now, been playing since I was 10 with Champ Manager Italia.  While my time to play has reduced, it still offers a level of escapism for me.  Look back at the 1998-2003 period with serious nostalgia that keeps me coming back every year.

Edited by Phil930

I love this thread as you often wonder if you should still be playing the game. It’s a bit like a dirty secret that only your closest family know as you don’t want people to think your sad.
I’m 50 now, played probably all of the last 15 years. Before that I played LMA manager on my PlayStation which was actually pretty decent as I recall.

Sadly I have just downloaded the latest game to my Mac but it wouldn’t load due to the age of my Mac.  So now I have to decide if I invest in a new laptop pretty much solely to play FM23  😀

Edited by guruhd

45, played this game since CM1. I am old school and proud of it too.

My father in law is 76, still plays computer games and has done the whole 20+ years I've known him.

I'll carry on playing games until I'm unable to do so.

43 here, I am another "started with CM93" etc, CM Italia will always be my all-time favourite! I don't get to play much due to studying with the OU but do have an FM21 Touch game which I dip in and out of. Currently the full fat version is simply too complex for me to fit in, but I expect I will return to it when I get my degree.

On 20/10/2022 at 11:25, MrPompey said:

Haha I remember both of these so well. I didnt have a printer so I religiously copied every end of season deatil down on paper for The Double and sent it off. They had the grace to reply and tell me it was completed by someone else a lot earlier. As I recall the players were 100% out of proportion to the pitch but early football gaming paved the way for others

TSM - Thats was text p[assed yes and the delays gave a kind of suspense whilst watching it

The Double..... i have spent many days with that game back in the days..... I am 48 now (almost 49) and still playing FM every year. I play since CM 93/94....  I always printed my seasons with the results :onmehead:

On 19/10/2022 at 23:07, Lempicka said:

Soccer Boss on the C64 was also a classic... my game crashed once, so i got access to the code (which was in BASIC) in some way... as it was only casette only, i converted it to a disk version... I think i was the only person in the world who had a disk version of Soccer Boss haha and it worked fine, it never crashed again

I'm 54, started with a game called "Player Manager" by Anco in 87/88 ish on an Amiga 500, then got the very first Championship Manager and had every version since. I took early retirement and am spending more time than ever in my Manager's office.

11 when I started with CM2. Now 37. Not stopping anytime soon but becoming disgruntled more with each release to the point I'm not going with FM23. Probably never stop playing some sort of iteration but they need to pull the rabbit out the hat for FM24 to bring me back up to date.

60. Love the game since 2006 .... (First club was Hornchruch)....then Sutton United, then Brantwood (NI), then Stenhousemuir, then AFC Telford. I won only one 1x silverware, the cup in italy. The way is the goal :)

Edited by Conardo

Will be 60 in February. Have played every version since I bought the floppy disk CM1 on the Amiga. It used to take about half an hour to initialise a new game! My first manager game was the original Football Manager by Kevin Toms on the Sinclair Spectrum 48K back in the 1980s. My main save is always Montrose and I have won countless trophies with them. Usually also have a Coventry or Notts County game on the go. Recently been loving the unofficial Scottish lower league databases leading teams like Loch Ness, Pumpherston & Montrose Roselea to glory!